Author Topic: Desk chairs  (Read 11326 times)

Offline Gati

Desk chairs
« on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 21:40:27 »
Hey guys! Sorry if this sounds like purchase help but there isn't much of a community for chairs :p

I'm in the market for a new desk chair, as my cheapo one that I have now is causing some upper-back pain. I only use it on the weekends, for maybe 10-12 hours those days (yeah I know, it's not healthy, blah blah blah) so a high-end chair isn't needed; and neither is a huge 'executive' chair, I simply wouldn't fit in one. Honestly, as long as I can sit in it for a few hours without my back straining then i'll be happy.

I don't have much of a budget, I'd like it to be around $200, but I think that I can pony up $400 if it is REALLY that necessary.

Does anyone have a chair in that price range that they can reccomend?

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Desk chairs
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 21:47:47 »
Madison Seating sells Herman Miller and Steelcase chairs. I own a HM Aeron and Embody, as well as a Steelcase Leap v2.

I would recommend the Leap v2 on your budget. Here is a link:

https://www.madisonseating.com/leap-chair-v2-by-steelcase.html

I bought this exact chair and I really love it for the price. It’s comfortable and ergonomic, and a great entry-level chair if you’re coming from cheap stuff. People tend to cheap out on their chairs or buy the stupid “gaming” racing chairs. I actually dislocated a rib after sitting in crappy chairs over the years at work, so I’ve spent some time in a lot of different chairs in order to keep my injury from flaming up again.

Also, note that these chairs are normally in the 1k range, so $400 is a steal. My old job used to buy from Madison and I use them as well. It’s worth every penny. I’ve found that most of my cheaper chairs would fall apart or the seats would go flat after about a year. Not the case with these chairs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 June 2018, 21:50:32 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: Desk chairs
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 21:50:27 »
another thing to keep in mind is you can find used office furniture for a lot less than you might imagine. You can easily pick up a $800+ chair for your price range. Around here we have Storr which sells used office stuff.
-Dana

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 17:11:42 »
Madison can and will screw you bad. I understand you have no need for new Embody but don't even mess with B-stock unless you see it. Try local store. Most industrial/tech type towns have stores. Must be 50 towns in Illinois I know a store.

Offline molecularronin

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 08:12:23 »
another thing to keep in mind is you can find used office furniture for a lot less than you might imagine. You can easily pick up a $800+ chair for your price range. Around here we have Storr which sells used office stuff.

Any tips for ways to find good used office furniture like this? I'd love to come across a used HM or something, but I have no idea how I'd even do that beyond dumb luck lol

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 11:16:44 »

Any tips for ways to find good used office furniture like this? I'd love to come across a used HM or something, but I have no idea how I'd even do that beyond dumb luck lol

Madison seating is all refurbished. I’ve had several chairs from there and they’re all great. Also craigslist, you may get lucky there.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 11:20:31 »
Standing Desk,

It's the only solution..

Think about it this way,   You can mitigate effects of smoking by using a tar filter addon.

OR

you can Stop smoking..

Also Gati, what do you weigh.

Offline haanuman

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 04:04:31 »
Thanks sneaky potato for the reply, I guess I might consider this as well :)

Offline Prelim

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:46:52 »
Madison Seating sells Herman Miller and Steelcase chairs. I own a HM Aeron and Embody, as well as a Steelcase Leap v2.

I have an Aeron fully loaded w/ Posturefit and I'm also interested in buying a Leap V2. Can you tell me more about your experience between them and what do you prefer? I dislike the fact that the Aeron only makes possible the 90º position (the reclining feature is more a bouncing one) and also I don't find the aeron seat the most confortable thing in the world (although I'm 6'10/90Kg and use size B, maybe I should be on size C) :/
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:55:24 »

I have an Aeron fully loaded w/ Posturefit and I'm also interested in buying a Leap V2. Can you tell me more about your experience between them and what do you prefer? I dislike the fact that the Aeron only makes possible the 90º position (the reclining feature is more a bouncing one) and also I don't find the aeron seat the most confortable thing in the world (although I'm 6'10/90Kg and use size B, maybe I should be on size C) :/

I’ve had both, hopefully I can help.

Aeron is more of a task chair, not really a comfort king. They’re meant to last and not get a flat and nasty seat and back over time. I found mine comfortable, but not enjoyable for lounging. I recommend these chairs for offices because they’re great investments and comfortable for what you do at work.

Leap v2 feels more plush, and is like a traditional office chair but nicer. It has a ton of recline settings, and is pretty adjustable. I have one I use in my workshop because it’s comfy. The downside though is the fabric is going to get ruined over time, and the seat will eventually go flat. However I got mine for like $250 and it was worth every penny. I would pay up to $500 for one if I had to. This is the chair I recommend to most people. You’ll love it, but I would definitely recommend figuring out if there’s a bigger version or else you’ll probably be uncomfortable.

Past that price point, get a Herman Miller Embody. Most comfortable chair I’ve ever owned, and it’s super durable.

If you have more specific questions about the chair, let me know. I’ll answer whatever.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:15:10 »
I'm not a big chair expert, but general advice if you're looking for Herman Millers is to hit up Craiglist for some deals. Offices offload old stuff all the time and you can get chairs in pretty good condition for like half off all the time. My base Aeron was like $270 and just had a tiny bit of wear on the arms from someone wearing a watch presumably.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 16:31:38 »
I just recently had to replace my 10 year old 'staples' chair after the base split finally. Lots of wheels and shock replacements over the years but it had to go to the dump.

Picked up an Allsteel #19 from madisonseating. I'd give it a 6/10. It has a 'pop' when you lean back or forward that I cant find. Also the seat base doesn't tilt when you lean back which is odd to me. Things that you dont realize until you test it out in person I guess. Regardless its a strong chair and feels like it will last a long long time.
https://www.madisonseating.com/19-work-chair-by-allsteel.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw9sreBRBAEiwARroYm8L9FM2vvl-OkN2LL79cNrfZYfT88KAxfYkS9brtJ5xcR7pleLzo-RoCZvwQAvD_BwE
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 18:16:55 »
I just recently had to replace my 10 year old 'staples' chair after the base split finally. Lots of wheels and shock replacements over the years but it had to go to the dump.

Picked up an Allsteel #19 from madisonseating. I'd give it a 6/10. It has a 'pop' when you lean back or forward that I cant find. Also the seat base doesn't tilt when you lean back which is odd to me. Things that you dont realize until you test it out in person I guess. Regardless its a strong chair and feels like it will last a long long time.
https://www.madisonseating.com/19-work-chair-by-allsteel.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw9sreBRBAEiwARroYm8L9FM2vvl-OkN2LL79cNrfZYfT88KAxfYkS9brtJ5xcR7pleLzo-RoCZvwQAvD_BwE

In the future,  we'd be looking back at these contraptions as instruments of Subservience, Oppression and Torture..

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 04:23:03 »
Used office chairs are the way to go,I'm using a Steelcase from the late 60's/early 70's that is so comfortable.

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 11:08:20 »
Went from a 20 year old Aeron to an Embody for home. I just bought a nice Steelcase Leap V2 from eBay for less than $300 after some discounts.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 14:32:36 »
Went from a 20 year old Aeron to an Embody for home. I just bought a nice Steelcase Leap V2 from eBay for less than $300 after some discounts.

what is your experience of Aeron VS Leap v2?
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline JP

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 15:07:11 »

Well it should arrive next week so I can report back later.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Desk chairs
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 15:29:52 »

Totally different chairs, I’ve owned both. The Aeron is a workhorse, and it’s best for offices in my opinion. The seat and back are stretched mesh fabric, and it’s best for sitting upright and getting work done without injuring yourself over time. I dislocated a rib from poor ergonomics, and I used an Aeron at work to recover. An Aeron will last you the rest of your life, or at least your working life if you take care of it. They’re great chairs, but kind of rigid. They’re meant to last, not really be a luxury sofa. Most adjustments have to be made manually by turning knobs, and the chair doesn’t have reclining settings outside of manually turning a knob to relieve the tension under the chair, but then you have to crank it back to sit upright again. The armrests leave a lot to be desired, and the lumbar is just alright. The big plus though is it sits really cool if you’re a bigger guy and tend to get hot in fabric chairs. If you can get one of these for around $200-300, it’s worth it.

Leap v2 is one of my current chairs. It’s more plush and soft, and looks and feels like a traditional office chair. I would recommend the Leap v2 to most people looking to buy a nice chair, but I wouldn’t pay more than $500 for it. You can lean back pretty far, and it’s more comfortable as a home office chair than the Aeron is. The fabric will wear over time, but it’s soft and feels quality. The armrests have great adjustment and you ass doesn’t get fatigued after sitting for hours. I think the leap v2 is the best for like 98% of normal people who just want a gaming chair or better office chair than what they have.

My personal chair is the Herman Miller Embody, which I recommend to people who sit for 6-8 hours a day at home.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 October 2018, 15:32:51 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline JP

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 16:30:54 »
I've been using an Aeron at home and at work for the past year. The Aerons I've used were not fully loaded and I had to rob parts from our chair graveyard to make something work. They certainly are solid chairs that will last a very long time even when severely abused by other coworkers. The pneumatic cylinders all eventually go out but that is normal. After sitting in the Aeron for a year I do not like the hard plastic front edge that cuts off circulation and the armchair adjustment sucks (if you have the adjustable arms to begin with). The lumbar support can be a bother to some folks. Personally I can no longer bear to sit in my Aeron all day. I have a muscle imbalance and feel more pressure on one side of my bum so I wanted to go for something with more traditional cushion and with better adjust-ability without breaking the bank or trying to plead with management to get me a damn chair. One of my friends fell in love with my Aeron so I'll pass it off to him. I've also seen folks in my office trade off their Aerons for those $100 Staples chairs so to each their own.

Offline Hayte

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 14:04:11 »

I don't know how it works where you live but in UK/Ireland, the cheapest stuff is obtained through liquidator auctions. So you camp sites like this: https://www.wilsonsauctions.com/upcoming-auctions?category=Liquidations-Disposals, find an auction you think will have some nice bargains, drive down to the listed address at the stated time and pay a deposit upfront (typically several hundred euros), then bid away. Don't find anything you want? Get your deposit back and you are only down petrol and an evening's worth of leisure time. Wherever you live, there has to be something similar. Companies go bust all the time.

Some websites/stores buy a bunch of stuff at liquidator auctions/police property disposals and then resell them used or refurbished at a markup (but still much less than new). I imagine this is where most people pick up their used office furniture.

If you cannot inspect an office chair before you pay for one, assume "used" really means "used". You will almost certainly need to clean or partially refurbish it yourself. You won't be able to tell how old or used the chair is from the pictures. People working in offices rarely treat their chairs/desks well because they didn't pay for them. Do not be surprised if you snag a used office chair and it has never been cleaned in 15 years. Do not be shocked when you run 10x dettox wipes over it and saturate every one of them with congealed dead skin, oil and cheeto dust from the previous century. On the flip-side, office chairs/desks are designed to withstand a decade of careless workers running them into the ground so they are built to withstand  a lot of abuse. They are often modular and easy to user service.

Aerons:

I'm just going to blurt it out: Aerons are meme chairs (I'm sitting in one right now so I have embraced the meme). They are ubiquitous on the secondary market everywhere I've ever lived. Wherever there is cheap VC money, there are failed startups and invariably, a river of used Aerons. I can't say that about any other type of office chair, which don't find their way onto the secondary market in such consistently large quantities. I tried to find a used Steelcase Leap V1/V2 in Dublin, Ireland for years and they pretty much don't exist.

Aerons are not very adjustable and come in 3 sizes: A, B and C. A is for small people. C is for really big people. If you are a small person and you buy a C sized Aeron you will hate your life. The seat pan is bowl shaped and is not depth adjustable so forget about sitting in it cross legged or in whatever pretzel shape you curl yourself into when nobody is looking. There is one comfortable way to sit in an Aeron and that is upright with both feet planted on the ground. The reclining mechanism keeps the back and seat pan in an upright L shape and almost turns it into a rocking chair, except you can hold whatever degree of recline you want using your body weight and the tilt tension control. You also need to lean a little forwards/backwards to keep the rocking action going. If you like this, you will love a properly sized Aeron. Its basically like sitting on a trampoline that you can kick back and rock like a baby in a cradle. Chairs with depth adjustable seat pans usually don't do this. The reclining mechanism on the Leap V2 for example pushes the seat pan forward when you lean back on the back pan. This straightens your body out into more of a lying down position but you don't get your rocking chair action going on. You either love it or you don't care about it. If you don't care, there are other task chairs out there which are more adjustable than Aeron and better support more parts of your body as you move around. Herman Miller Embody is one of them.

Aeron's removable lumbar support is garbage. It works but the contour of it is all wrong so regardless of whether I use the thin or thick side, the bottom edge always digs into my lower back. I just set it all the way down so its close to my butt and when it grinds against the labels on my trousers/underpants too much, I just take it off completely (the lumbar support, not my trousers).

Aerons are built like tanks. The plastics and metals are rock hard and although they can scratch and gouge, 9 times out of 10 the chair will do more damage to wood and plastic furniture/fixings than they will do to the Aeron. Be careful wheeling it around and smashing into furniture. You will wreck your furniture.

Overall I think the Embody and Leap V2 are better ergonomic chairs with better back support. The arm rests are also better and more adjustable. The seat pan depth is adjustable on both if you have unusually short or long legs. You can sit comfortably in both chairs in a variety of different positions and both chairs adapt better to whatever position you choose to sit in. However, both of them are much less common on the secondary market. In some places they are pretty much non-existent so if you want one, you are looking at paying full price. The reason I have an Aeron is because I could find a fully loaded one easily for €200.00 and its good enough. My one is pre-2004 with the thumb wheel arm rests. When I got it, it was filthy. The gas lift was wobbly (a common issue in very old Aerons) and the foam insert under the seat pan had disintegrated into a black crumble. Also someone spilt some blue powder pigment on the seat pan and I could never fully remove all of it. 2x rounds of upholstery shampoo, steam cleaning, a new foam insert, new casters and a new gas lift and its almost as good as new: https://imgur.com/a/l22DrHY
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2018, 15:38:03 by Hayte »

Offline JP

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 15:36:21 »
Just got my Leap V2 and am really liking it. It is just as others here have described. It is the perfect chair to lean back in and relax yet still great for using as a task chair to get work done at a desk.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:15:21 »
I too just picked up a Leap, thanks to this thread.
The base is nothing special, but the seat, wow is it heavy. I still have yet to really play with the settings much, but so far I like it, except for one thing... The arm rests. The first time I got out of it I realized one of my clients has a Leap as well, I remembered because the moving arm rest just about sent me to the floor first time I got out of theirs (I initially thought it was broken). It's fine when sitting but if you dare to push on it when standing up, watch out.  Judging on the scratches under the armrest, they move around, a LOT. That's probably my only complaint so far though and again, they work well when sitting, so while my first inclination was to find a way to stop the movement, I'm reconsidering that idea.

One thing I noticed really fast is the back has some tension, it pushed into you. If you are used to cheap local office supply chairs it will be new to you, but it feels good. When sitting up, you don't lean against the back so much as it cradles you. My old good chair did this and it was something I missed when I had to resort to low end cheap chairs.

For those looking, there is a guy on Ebay (US) selling them used for cheap with best offers accepted (I offered $170).  Mine was ordered late Tuesday, got here today (Thursday) and the only flaw I've found is the fabric on the back is a little slack. It does have some chemical smell, not sure if it's the shipping material or a cleanser they used, not super strong, but noticeable.

I've been looking for a decent chair for a while and was close to pulling the trigger when this thread came up.  You can read all the Amazon reviews (often gamed or short term reviews) and look at review sites (advertiser supported) and still not get a clear picture, so it was nice to hear from people with some seat time give opinions. I probably would have ended up with something decent due to my research, but not as good as this. So thanks to everyone who participated in this.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Sniping

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 21:19:44 »
I spend a lot of time sitting on an Aeron and Leap V2. I also have a Humanscale chair at one of the desks I sit at. I have to say that two of the most important things are getting a chair that fits and getting a chair that offers some level of back support, like on the Aeron and Leap, for example. My Humanscale chair lacks lumbar support, and you can clearly tell that it doesn't offer the same level of back support as a chair with back support features. Not all chairs come in multiple sizes, but it's also important to get a chair that fits well. A lot of people complain that the Aeron digs into the back of their knees, which is a sign that the chair is too big, and shouldn't happen if the chair is fitted and adjusted properly. The level of padding doesn't matter to me that much because a well shaped chair should offer nice support regardless of how much or little padding there is. Between the Aeron and Leap, I'd say the Leap is a little more comfy but also encourages slumping because of the extra padding. I find that the Aeron gives less room to slouch because the chair only feels comfortable when you're seated properly because of the lack of cushioning.

Oh, and for people with a larger budget, I hear the HAG Capisco is a great chair. I'd love to acquire one eventually.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 21:25:26 »
m0ar standing, m0ar oxygen

m0ar oxygen,  l3ss cancer

l3ss cancer, m0ar Health

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 21:32:07 »
I have an Ikea Markus chair and have had it for 5 years now. Absolutely love this chair.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 03:59:33 »
m0ar standing, m0ar oxygen

m0ar oxygen,  l3ss cancer

l3ss cancer, m0ar Health

Newer studies refute the claims that they are really any better, if at all.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 09:30:14 »

Newer studies refute the claims that they are really any better, if at all.

So, in cancer we have the Warburg hypothesis..

It's a hypothesis, but, one that is -mostly- agreed upon by cancer scientists.

Essentially, if you take a cell, damage its aerobic respiratory power-plant, it will turn into a cancer cell, which then operates on anerobic/ fermentation activity.

For example, in a petri-dish, when they remove the oxygen around live normal cells,  they turn cancerous, still alive, but cancerous.

So anytime we engage in an activity that reduces oxygenation of our body, either in isolate or systemic,  we increase the odds of certain cells becoming cancerous.

EVERYONE already has cancer.. everyone,   but certain behaviors over the course of a lifetime will either accelerate or decelerate benign microtumors from becoming uncontrollable cancer.

In jpn,  very few deaths from prostate cancer, despite lots of them now HAVING prostate cancer.  jpn smoking like crazy, they love smoking.

What's the difference, jpn has a set of behaviors which is _Less_ cancer promoting , than 'Murica.

Murica typically will be killed by their prostate cancer,  whereas jpn will die w/ cancer , but the cancer won't be what killed them.

I'm not saying that salvation is the standing desk,    but merely in CONSIDERATION of the Warburg hypothesis,  Increased oxygenation Over a LIFETIME, is preventative..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 17:37:59 »
So anytime we engage in an activity that reduces oxygenation of our body, either in isolate or systemic,  we increase the odds of certain cells becoming cancerous.
Standing may be better than sitting, but not by a heck of a lot.

When standing still for long periods of time people tend to do one of two things... Shift their weight side to side or lock at least one knee. Locking a single knee is worse than sitting for blood flow, ever see footage of soldiers passing out in formation, this is because they locked their knees. Shifting your weight side to side puts a lot of stress on your joints and twists your back. Most people will feel the back first, but only notice the joints when it reached a point of inflammation, at which point it's already done some damage.

Humans are not built to stand for long periods without being in motion, leaning and reaching doesn't count. We are meant to be at rest or moving around, period. Standing is not a substitution for that.

As for the cancer thing.
"Eat healthy and exercise", why do they say this? Because they have no idea how many cancers form in the first place so they give you the standard answer that makes you feel better.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 08:27:04 »
I have a large old desk chair that is "OK" but I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago if I had not added 2 accessories: a gel seat cushion and a lumbar support. With these items in place, the chair is transformed into something that can be used comfortably for long periods.

I couldn't find a cushion like mine on a quick search, they all seem to be the "egg crate" type nowadays, which is probably fine.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486225/black---white-ergonomic-lumbar-back-support
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 22:50:16 »
I have a large old desk chair that is "OK" but I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago if I had not added 2 accessories: a gel seat cushion and a lumbar support. With these items in place, the chair is transformed into something that can be used comfortably for long periods.

I couldn't find a cushion like mine on a quick search, they all seem to be the "egg crate" type nowadays, which is probably fine.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486225/black---white-ergonomic-lumbar-back-support

Oh man, I was at walmart and saw these memory foam bath mats that fit perfectly on the office depot special chair I have.  I stacked two on the seat. They have rubber on the bottom so they don't slide off the chair easily

207168-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2018, 22:53:13 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 17:29:06 »
I would guess the best solution is standing at your desk some of the time, sitting some of the time. Certainly I'm sitting at my desk for 12+ hours a day and that can't be good. I do try and go exercise a little too though.

I'd love one of those 1970's type office chairs if I could find one in decent shape over here. They look a bit more sympathetic in a home office situation vs the plasticky modern ones.

I bought an office chair about a year ago from local place. Tried 8 or 9 different ones and the one I ended up liking best was on the cheaper end. It keeps me fairly bolt upright the whole time, the recline is very stiff, which was my main beef with any cheap office chairs I've had in places I worked at they felt very mushy.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 16:57:58 »
Standing Desk,

It's the only solution..

Think about it this way,   You can mitigate effects of smoking by using a tar filter addon.

OR

you can Stop smoking..

Also Gati, what do you weigh.

Standing desk is pretty good.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline rationull

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 21:24:32 »
I've got a couple of Leap v1s from Madison Seating and have used Leap v2 at work for probably around 8 years. Would buy another in a heartbeat but not for full price.

I had a mixed experience with Madison, but would order from them again for home use. I probably wouldn't bother with them for a professional setting, or if time were of the essence. The first chair I got from them was broken (lower seatback brackets). Not critically broken, arguably usable, but broken enough that I wouldn't have paid however much it cost if that had been its known condition. The support was responsive, but initially tried to get me to keep it with a 60% discount. I didn't go for this because I really wanted a working chair or my money back, and when I refused this they just offered to send me out a replacement without me sending back the broken one, as long as I agreed to post a positive review.

The review "requirement" seemed a little shady but all things considered that was really good customer service, I paid a good price, and ended up with 1 good chair and one passable chair in addition. The whole process took several weeks, which is why I say I wouldn't bother w/ them for business.