Author Topic: hey guys  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Batou

hey guys
« on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:20:06 »
Hey all, here Batou from Milan, sorry for my english guys..
The story: 3 weeks ago i decided to replace my 3 logitech's comfort curve 2000, and started to study a bit more about keyboards... Ebay, youtube, ocn, newegg, i considered every single keyboard out there, took me a lot of time really, i didn't even know what mechanical keyboards were, but after some youtube video i was like.... omg i want one of those! I had some fun on linustechtips videos too, and after some more research i finally found Geekhack forum.
This forum simply upset all of my thoughts, since initially i was gonna purchase a blackwidow or a g710+...
I'm a MMO gamer, actually i'm on arr beta and probably will stick with that game for a long time, if square enix will improve the game obviously. I love hardware, liquid cooling solutions and i am in front of my pc 10-12 hours each day, to play and expecially to work.

Anyway, speaking of interesting stuff, even if illuminated + macro keyboards are cool to see... i decided to purchase a Filco Majestouch 2, italian layout obviously , cherry mx blue. I've never spent so much money on a keyboard, but i think that would be a very cool experience for a person like me.
Initially i was going for a CM storm trigger, but i don't like red backlit and i don't think getting one of those and replacing all the leds would be a good way to start... I will just wait to get a backlit one as my second purchase, this make me crazy, i mean my poor pc still has a 5770 and i'm getting expensive keyboards instead of the 670 that i was finally gonna buy (another 5-6 weeks of studying/indecision).
So that will be my first mechanical, and i also hope to learn how to type since i got a wpm around 50 -.-
I think actually i will get also a o-ring set from wasd, and i would like an advice from you to know which kind of them would be a good purchase for a mechanical keyboard newbye as i am. 

Well i just wanted to thank you all since pretty all of my decisions were based upon reading this forum for the last week, will soon write about my experience, as i receive my filco! Have fun and thanks.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: hey guys
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:26:44 »
If you're looking for a solution to backlit keyboards in a wide range of LED colors, you want to look at Ducky.

Also, welcome to geekhack!

Offline Batou

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:57:17 »
If you're looking for a solution to backlit keyboards in a wide range of LED colors, you want to look at Ducky.

Also, welcome to geekhack!

Thanks! Yes i've checked Ducky, but unfortunately they do not sell italian layout, and i didn't find iso 105 layout either! I took into consideration also WASD, but they are out of stock for 105 iso layout, and after sending them an email, they told me that iso layout will be available on june 2013 (can't wait that long!)
I've checked really every option, but the only Caster oem keyboard out there with italian layout is Filco so far:
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=770
(or CM trigger but um... i like filco more!) Yes, i could switch and learn for US or UK layout, but i'm pretty scared, i mean, at 36 years old it could be a bit difficult for me to learn a new layout, considering i still have to learn to type in the proper way! Thanks for the advice anyway, much apreciated

PS: oh btw also filco with italian layout is out of stock but Helen (the keyboard company customer service) wrote me this: "We can 'make' this model for you by swapping Italian layout keycaps onto a blue switch base from another language" and i though i can trust them cause i've read about them on your forum!
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 17:01:07 by Batou »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 17:06:47 »
That is a tough one. If you're interested, there is a group buy going on currently called the GH60. It can be made to customizable layouts, so you would be able to set it up in that Italian layout. It is similar to a KBC Poker in size, if you wish to throw that in Google to see what I mean (if you don't already).

Offline Batou

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 17:19:10 »
Oh i think i saw that backplate on youtube, wasn't a guy soldering in all of its components? I loved that video, watched it 2 days ago! unfortunately i need full layout, i use a lot number pad at work and to play too (mouse no thanks). Anyway maybe you know which kind of o-ring dampeners could be best for a novice?

yeah found it now,
The video of that guy are awesome, i love soldering too :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 17:22:44 by Batou »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 20:10:04 »
WhiteFireDragon is a member here. For O-rings, if you plan to keep the stock Filco caps, which are what is called OEM profile (height of the caps), you could choose whichever of the three kinds they offer. Your choice. They offer varying levels of dampening based on their thickness, so how much do you think you're looking for?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 00:02:10 »
Trigger is a great keyboard. I have tried it out and it feels very solid. I would't know much about their software but from what I hear they are pretty good.

If I were you I would stay away from Razer. Most people that have had a Razer would understand why.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Batou

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:02:03 »

Hey, the majestouch is finally in my home^^
Blue MX, typing is very different from a rubber dome, i'm very happy about my purchase.
Got it from thekeyboardcompany, bought 2 days ago and arrived just this morning, very fast !
Now gotta learn how to type....

cheers

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 15:20:32 »
This forum simply upset all of my thoughts, since initially i was gonna purchase a blackwidow or a g710+...
I'm a MMO gamer, actually i'm on arr beta and probably will stick with that game for a long time, if square enix will improve the game obviously. I love hardware, liquid cooling solutions and i am in front of my pc 10-12 hours each day, to play and expecially to work.

I think actually i will get also a o-ring set from wasd, and i would like an advice from you to know which kind of them would be a good purchase for a mechanical keyboard newbye as i am. 

Haha upset? We did you a favor. That youtube video you linked is mine. If you like soldering, get the DIY GH60 keyboard like esoomenona mentioned. It requires tons of SMD and through-hole soldering. I know you said you need a full keyboard, but maybe get a GH60 just for the soldering experience. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it back at cost.

For O-rings, there are not that many choices on WASDkeyboards. Try out the thinner ones first, and if you don't like it, you didn't lose out too much money, and the mod is easily reversible.

And welcome to GH!

Offline Batou

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 15:42:23 »
Haha upset? We did you a favor.
eh... sorry i think i just used a wrong term, damn google translator -.- i meant that the forum changed a lot my ideas, obviously it has been a valued favor to me. Btw your videos are cool, i just watch them with pop-corns :)
Anyway the Majestouch feels great, i ordered yet a blue o-ring set (40 A-R) from wasd, maybe it was actually better to start with red ones (40 A-L) expecially for blue mx as you say. Will see as they arrive, guess i have to wait long time for those since they are coming from NA.
I had some trouble today removing spacebar keycap, it is not that easy as youtube shows, maybe this is just a bit different. Couldn't get it out simply moving and pushing it a bit on right or left anyway, but at the end i found a way to do it safely. I wonder if lubing mx switches is a must or anyway if it is needed also when the keyboard is brand new, or i can wait some time before it needs to be done, would like to have an advice about it.
Well having a lot of fun as for now, i'm just a bit worried about money now because i'd like to get also a ducky shine 2 (shopping syndrome oO)!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 16:24:08 »
I haven't touched a lubed switch at all, and I'm completely happy with MX switches. Maybe I'm in bliss due to ignorance, but that doesn't make it any less real to me. One day...