Author Topic: Hello, I am new to the forums. I also need HELP!!  (Read 1485 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
Hello, I am new to the forums. I also need HELP!!
« on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 20:53:43 »
A couple of months ago I really got into keyboards and the different switches, which I am slowly collecting. Right now I use the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium with mx reds, but I am looking for another keyboard because I wish I had the tactile feedback that I thought I would hate...but want now.

I have looked into getting mx greens (quickfire rapid w/greens) or maybe even an alps keyboard but I cant find many nice ones (quality while staying as close to under $100 as possible, the rapid is more, but I am really interested in greens). Any advice or knowledge y'all could give me would be very appreciated. Also I am having trouble deciding if greens are going to be better than blues, I want clicky switches but dont want high pitched clicking, ie. blues are high pitched to me, are greens any different besides force?
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 April 2013, 16:17:19 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline markv723

Re: Hello, I am new to the forums. I also need HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:25:13 »
It is my understanding that Greens are as audible as Blues with the exception of requiring more force. It sounds like you are looking for a tactile experience without all the audible feedback. Have you considered the Das Keyboard w/ Brown Switches? It's a bit over your $100.00 budget, but you get free shipping.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional-soft/

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:27:50 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 16:15:48 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:30:24 »
Stupid ****ing tag and post won't work. Copy and paste is your friend.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:31:24 »
A couple of months ago I really got into keyboards and the different switches, which I am slowly collecting. Right now I use the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium with mx reds, but I am looking for another keyboard because I wish I had the tactile feedback that I thought I would hate...but want now.

I have looked into getting mx greens (quickfire rapid w/greens) or maybe even an alps keyboard but I cant find many nice ones (quality while staying as close to under $100 as possible, the rapid is more, but I am really interested in greens). Any advice or knowledge y'all could give me would be very appreciated. Also I am having trouble deciding if greens are going to be better than blues, I want clicky switches but dont want high pitched clicking, ie. blues are high pitched to me, are greens any different besides force?

Welcome to Geekhack!

I also like tactile feedback, but I can't stand the high-pitched clicking of MX Blues. My recommendation for anyone new to MX switches is to start with MX Browns. They are tactile and light, and give you a good baseline for comparing other switches.

I didn't like MX Reds at all, at first, until I tried them plate mounted. I really prefer plate mounted Reds, followed by Browns, over other switch types.

I would stay away from MX Greens, if you don't like Blues. Greens are just Blues with stiffer springs (like MX Blacks vs. Reds).

If your budget is $100, there are quite a few quality boards for that price. Are you looking for TKL, or something with a number pad? The QFR is a nice board, and you can get them with Browns, for under $100. If you need a number pad, the Rosewill RK-9000 or RK-9100 are nice.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."