Author Topic: ALPS keycaps questions  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
ALPS keycaps questions
« on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:03:02 »
Recently bought the new matias board with redesigned ALPS and I have a few questions about keycaps for some of the more knowledgeable ALPS users.

1.  2 parter - Are all ALPS keycaps  made the same, and what makes them different?  I'm not referring to dye-sub etc but I've noticed they have a tiny tiny connecting stem to the switch and they wobble.  Is this normal?

2.  Is uncommon for folks to make orders for custom ALPs cap-sets? 

I'd really love to see some of the projects, if any, members of the forum have had creating custom alps keys.  Searching has not really yielded many results I found to be informative.  Any info  is appreciated.

::EDIT::  Using a bit of investigative powers I found the keycap does not wobble, but although this is a new ALPS type of switch it still has a bit of wobble to the keys.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:57:58 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: ALPS keycaps questions
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:10:44 »
The only set I know of was the GHSS set... couple of mods and G and H.  Also there were 1 or 2 runs of GH escape caps.  Seem to recall the GHSS only being sold as a complete set with the keyboard.

Pic
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: ALPS keycaps questions
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:50:42 »
5k177 (Forgot his username here on GH, though) ran some.
http://5k177keyboards.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/the-geek-hack-space-saver-available-now/

There has been some interest for ALPS sets, but never enough to get it off the ground.

I expect projects to increase once matias switches are available.