Author Topic: [IC] Retro Cassette DSA  (Read 37579 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
[IC] Retro Cassette DSA
« on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:14:17 »
Based on some retro laptops with DSA style caps and with a built in cassette deck.  I'll get a proper IC later, but for now, just comment in the thread if it's something that sounds interesting to you.

Cap set:

Inspiration(s):

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Re: [IC] Retro Cassette DSA
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:21:30 »
I like the colours, I would scrap the orange though and find a nicer font. I also think that either all the keys should have a single icon, or that it should follow normal keyboard key design. Not the semi-mono legend that your preview has.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:21:44 »
Colors look great, but boo to DSA.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:25:25 »
This looks fantastic Nubbinator! Definitely interested.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:38:10 »
I like the colours, I would scrap the orange though and find a nicer font. I also think that either all the keys should have a single icon, or that it should follow normal keyboard key design. Not the semi-mono legend that your preview has.

I agree with Vibex, I think it should either be full mono-legend or full standard legend. I do like the mono legend look if I were to pick just one. Regardless, I would be very tempted to order a set. I do like the orange though.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:46:29 »

If it's DSA, it has to be large and centered (and it goes with the original).  If it's DCS, it can be Cherry.  The pic is just a rough idea though.

And,  to be honest, the orange is really what makes it for me.  I could probably add in a more "normal" option, but then it's practically inverted Dolch. I guess I need to buy an SP color ring so I can show off a nice dark orange (or get them to do a custom orange) and show what the colors would actually be.  I just have a hard time dropping $40 on a color ring to make SP money.

What profile would you prefer?  I'd do GMK, but they don't have anywhere near the right colors.  I'd love some of the Devlin profiles, but they only work through QWERkeys and after my last GB with them, I refuse to work with them ever again.

Would DCS be better?  I refuse to do SA, so it would be between DCS and DSA.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:52:09 by nubbinator »

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:51:08 »

If it's DSA, it has to be large and centered (and it goes with the original).  If it's DCS, it can be Cherry.  The pic is just a rough idea though.

And,  to be honest, the orange is really what makes it for me.  I could probably add in a more "normal" option, but then it's practically inverted Dolch.
Oh I just ment the font in general. I know that if it's DSA it will have to be large and centered. I just think you can find a better font. And to each their own when it comes to colours. I've just never been found of the colour orange (or yellow for that matter). I just think it's a meh colour over all.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:52:02 »
Personally I'd definitely prefer DCS.

And,  to be honest, the orange is really what makes it for me.  I could probably add in a more "normal" option, but then it's practically inverted Dolch.

Yeah the orange is great.  The alphas look like they have some brown in them in the pics though?

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:54:20 »
ooo I like this, great idea nubb! That color combo on the first picture is awesome! (chocolate alphas with brownish-grey mods) Why not go with this color combo?  :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:55:46 »
Personally I'd definitely prefer DCS.

Yeah the orange is great.  The alphas look like they have some brown in them in the pics though?

Thanks man.  I don't know why, but the orange makes it for me.  Otherwise it's kind of bland.  Just look at the orange WASD cluster that was an option with the DSA Dolch set and how much that sexed it up.

That's kind of the intent (the brown in the alphas that is).  I need to get the color ring again.  I seem to remember an almost black brown that SP has that would be perfect.  I'm really just doing a rough rough mock up with this tool and it doesn't seem to have the right brownish color for it that I remember being in the ring.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:57:29 by nubbinator »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:58:20 »
You should put the CTRL key back in its proper place, like your inspiration keyboards. Also, use the right name for RETURN. :)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 23:00:17 »
You should put the CTRL key back in its proper place, like your inspiration keyboards. Also, use the right name for RETURN. :)

It would be cool to have RETURN instead of ENTER  :thumb:

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 23:01:33 »

And next you'll be wanting a shift lock cap.

Changing enter to Return is a good idea that I think I'll do, but, since I'm proposing DSA, you can **** with the CTRL wherever you want.

Offline Data

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 23:47:02 »
I dig it.

You should play with a red Esc key. Both of your examples have a conspicuous red button in that area of the keyboard.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 01:07:44 »
I'm definitely in,  nubs. Looks great and I hope DSA stays an option.  :'( 

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 01:20:19 »
The splash of color with the orange and red is great!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 04:26:15 »
I like the color scheme.

Please offer a "boring joe kit" like Matt3o does that contains the standard keys (like light grey scroll lock etc.).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 04:46:19 »
Maybe the numpad Enter could be red too?

And the num lock and scroll lock could have red legends to match caps lock?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mno

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 05:04:13 »
Love it.  Especially since it's DSA.  Sex if PBT, might still buy if ABS.

Hope it see it go into production with some kits/mods. 

Agree on the added reds.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 06:15:12 »
Love it.  Especially since it's DSA.  Sex if PBT, might still buy if ABS.

Hope it see it go into production with some kits/mods. 

Agree on the added reds.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Planning on spending money already?  You'll fit right in around here :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 06:28:03 »
I'm interested for sure, both in the profile and colors involved. I agree with what Vibex said about the font and what jacobolus said about the CTRL/CapsLock swap. Is it possible to get an add-on for the latter? This HHKB's been spoiling me so hard. I need to maintain a certain quality of life now : ' [
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 12:51:57 »
I was just wondering if anyone would make keysets that look like that. Looks like wishes do come true. I'm definitely interested.
I have 'two' many keyboard. CM Quickfire Stealth(greens) and Poker II(browns)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 13:01:49 »
And next you'll be wanting a shift lock cap.

Changing enter to Return is a good idea that I think I'll do, but, since I'm proposing DSA, you can **** with the CTRL wherever you want.
Shift Lock, make it happen! ;D
But seriously, making it return is a good idea. And thats why DSA is the best, it's so versatile.
Also sent you some PM's when you get a chance. :thumb:

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 14:17:49 »
i like the orange and this is very "old skool"

kudo's..............would buy :p
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 14:25:43 »
yeppers..............this is really nice!

would be nice if there were a few extra keys for a ducky?

the colors and some of the suggestions could be put in a added pack, but i agree the orange really does it for me as well- i like the contrast :cool:

...............and yes i am old enough to remember these :-\

these would look pretty awesome if put on an 1800-- of course there has to be enough of "i wants" to justify
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline mer

• Purple Ghost Software, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:49:34 »
And,  to be honest, the orange is really what makes it for me.  I could probably add in a more "normal" option, but then it's practically inverted Dolch. I guess I need to buy an SP color ring so I can show off a nice dark orange (or get them to do a custom orange) and show what the colors would actually be.  I just have a hard time dropping $40 on a color ring to make SP money.

SP has images of their available colors here:
http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/resources/

Aren't these the same as the color ring?
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens
Profile pic is "Geek Hack" in Gallifreyan

Offline Gamingnow

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 13:54:57 »
I like it a lot. I think DSA profile is perfect, and the orange is a nice contrast for me. I would buy a set.
Poker II [MX Blues]

Offline zhihuichan

• Click,click,click
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:20:33 »
seem to be another Dolch?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:28:16 »
It's inverted from Dolch and I'm also aiming for more of a dark almost brownish color for the Alphas like in the first pic.  I need to get a color ring again to get the colors set.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:34:30 »
It's inverted from Dolch and I'm also aiming for more of a dark almost brownish color for the Alphas like in the first pic.  I need to get a color ring again to get the colors set.

I think the brown color you want is TAA.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 11:27:36 »

I think the brown color you want is TAA.
Yeah, thats what I'm using as my accent colour in my Burnt Papyrus IC. It's a really deep brown colour.

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 02:00:29 »
Brown or Grey, they're both nice and well coordinated with the rest of the colour scheme.  :thumb:
I have 'two' many keyboard. CM Quickfire Stealth(greens) and Poker II(browns)

Offline Hazel

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 16:17:00 »
I have to ask, because I noticed this on the Royal Apollo set as well:
What's with the shifted < > ? " : [ ] legends?
Mono legends are cool, but why not unshifted  , . / ' ; { } ?

Offline Manchias

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:23:11 »
Once again, I feel like there are alot of DSA set out there. I would purchase this set for sure.

Offline Evilcamels

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 12:20:02 »
I was working on a very similar design before someone suggested your GB on Deskthority, here is what I thought would be a good recreation of the Epson keyset.

http://imgur.com/a/HtviC is the Imgur album of all my work on it. I thought it should be DCS to keep it consistent with the original design and to separate itself from all of the DSA sets being made right now. I also went with brown legends for the modifiers which gives them more pop in my opinion.

Hopefully this set can come to fruition, if you want any help with more photos of my PX-8 or of my design ideas, I would love to contribute.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 14:25:31 »
The colors do a very good match in between. I'd prefer DSA, and I suggest you to include options for most common special keyboard layouts as FC660M, choc mini, and the likes.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 21:00:14 »
I was working on a very similar design before someone suggested your GB on Deskthority, here is what I thought would be a good recreation of the Epson keyset.

Show Image

http://imgur.com/a/HtviC is the Imgur album of all my work on it. I thought it should be DCS to keep it consistent with the original design and to separate itself from all of the DSA sets being made right now. I also went with brown legends for the modifiers which gives them more pop in my opinion.

Hopefully this set can come to fruition, if you want any help with more photos of my PX-8 or of my design ideas, I would love to contribute.

Well, the plan is to do something like this, pending color rings and choosing from those:

The brown is TBN, which isn't well represented on the mock up site.

The 60% symmetry set at the bottom will be built into the main set as will the color set.  Then you have a Tsangan and an ISO set.  The modifiers will be the same between the two, but you can buy the grey or the brown Alphas.  Even though the legends will be different from Retro DSA colors, the brown is the same color, so letting you choose which Alpha lets you use your Retro DSA Alphas if you already have the set.

DSA is the planned profile since the HX-20 and HX-40 that inspired the set are DSA.

And in before Elrick says SA because it's the best profile ever and everything should be done in SA.  DCS is a possibility, but SA will not be done.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 September 2014, 21:03:35 by nubbinator »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 21:32:56 »
Here is a link to the scans for all the colors:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/compactkey/sets/72157634628432952/with/9294353672/

GH is Error 500ing hard right now at won't let me post any pictures. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 September 2014, 21:35:28 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 23:26:53 »
Do want. Gib me, nubbinator.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:36:49 »
Well, the plan is to do something like this, pending color rings and choosing from those:

Show Image

And in before Elrick says SA because it's the best profile ever and everything should be done in SA.  DCS is a possibility, but SA will not be done.

Hey, hey, hey........ If you are going to make the above colour-way then I'll buy it in DSA profile easily.  I may be a rabid crack-ho for SA but I will transgress towards the DSA regime when the colours provide a genuine attraction.

We need some decent warm tints for a colour-way the screams, welcome - come use me as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:39:30 by Elrick »

Offline Data

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 08:02:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The 60% symmetry set at the bottom will be built into the main set as will the color set.  Then you have a Tsangan and an ISO set.  The modifiers will be the same between the two, but you can buy the grey or the brown Alphas.  Even though the legends will be different from Retro DSA colors, the brown is the same color, so letting you choose which Alpha lets you use your Retro DSA Alphas if you already have the set.

DSA is the planned profile since the HX-20 and HX-40 that inspired the set are DSA.

This is great man.  Nice to see the red Esc made it in there.   :thumb:

Prefer the dark gray, personally.  And I'd echo Elrick's sentiments about DSA.  It just seems to fit this theme really well.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 08:24:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

DSA all the way and I'm in love. Awesome job as usual nubs!!!  :thumb:
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 14:50:56 »
Wish this were PBT over ABS...
CM QFR Green

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 15:12:52 »

It's impossible to do in PBT.  You can't dyesub light on dark and SP can't do doubleshot PBT.  I love PBT, but you work with the tools you have.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 September 2014, 15:35:45 by nubbinator »

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 16:26:40 »

It's impossible to do in PBT.  You can't dyesub light on dark and SP can't do doubleshot PBT.  I love PBT, but you work with the tools you have.

At least SP's ABS keycaps should be relatively thick and high quality, right?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 16:37:14 »

At least SP's ABS keycaps should be relatively thick and high quality, right?

SP DSA is thicker than DCS, but thinner than Cherry/GMK.

If the quality wasn't good, GH wouldn't do most GBs with them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 14:41:14 »
Playing around with the idea of some WASD clusters:

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 15:11:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hi nubb.

I love the last one, with the blue WASD.

Are you going to use SP standard font?

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 15:55:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Orange looks good with grey and brown, but the blue seems to only work with the grey... IMO...  :p
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 16:01:06 »

Vortex seems to be having a lot of luck with doubleshot PBT. Even SP has small quantities of doubleshot PBT caps. I think we're just a few years away from seeing fully doubleshot PBT sets as an option from SP.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 00:59:18 »
The more i look at these colors the more I'm in love with this set. Keep up the good work, the brown and grey both look good; i lean slightly towards grey myself, but I would be interested in both schemes.  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:08:52 »
I keep telling myself it's an optical illusion, but the brown alphas appear to lend a brown tone to all the other keys, which makes the image look washed out or artificially aged to me.  I think it would probably look much better in person.

Still kinda prefer the gray.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:41:28 »
I keep telling myself it's an optical illusion, but the brown alphas appear to lend a brown tone to all the other keys, which makes the image look washed out or artificially aged to me.  I think it would probably look much better in person.

Still kinda prefer the gray.

Think you're right about the brown alphas.  I was trying to figure out why that set looked much much older. 

I love gray but...so many gray caps, already.  If this becomes a GB, I really don't know which set I'd go for.  :-\

Offline DzyDzyDino

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 02:08:13 »
I'd be in for sure, although may I point out this would also look really nice in SA profile also? :D

Offline deci

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 02:27:58 »
Wow love that last one. I don't have enough keyboards for all the nice sets coming out recently....

Offline -blind

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:12:46 »
Loving this, what color are those legends going to be?  Could pop some color in there on the gray set like you had going with the Royal Apollo set (...I really wish that had tipped :( )

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:15:50 »
Wow love that last one. I don't have enough keyboards for all the nice sets coming out recently....

Time to buy more boards.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:19:26 »

Time to buy more boards.

You're now a Geekhacker, ALWAYS buy more keyboards even if you don't need them now, but in the future you will  :thumb: .

Offline deci

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:30:25 »

Time to buy more boards.

You're now a Geekhacker, ALWAYS buy more keyboards even if you don't need them now, but in the future you will  :thumb: .

Lol I've already bought 3 in the short time I've been here...  ;D

Although I guess I haven't built a 60% yet... hmmm I see a nice black GON pcb GB and an IC for a one with hot swappable switches and LEDS.   :p

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 13:10:43 »

Lol I've already bought 3 in the short time I've been here...  ;D

Although I guess I haven't built a 60% yet... hmmm I see a nice black GON pcb GB and an IC for a one with hot swappable switches and LEDS.   :p

I just got a 60% that i think this set is destined for . . . 

The pursuit never ends. I'm gonna have to get into making stuff instead of being on the buying end!  :cool:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 13:45:18 »
I'd be in for sure, although may I point out this would also look really nice in SA profile also? :D

You may, but I won't run it as SA until after DSA is made.

Loving this, what color are those legends going to be?  Could pop some color in there on the gray set like you had going with the Royal Apollo set (...I really wish that had tipped :( )

I'm aiming for WCK or one of the other beige/creams to give it an aged look.  There will be some color with some of the oranges and reds, but it will be a little more laid back outside of the possibility of some mod packs.  If anyone has any ideas for mod packs they'd like to see, please pipe up.

Offline Data

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 16:11:47 »
If you did something similar to Granite's Ergodoxian that would be super sweet.  Just a few 1.5u and 2u mods with legends would make it a must-buy kit.  There might be a few limitations with the legend orientation since this set is doubleshot, but I doubt that would be a big problem.

Offline -blind

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:31:54 »

I'm aiming for WCK or one of the other beige/creams to give it an aged look.  There will be some color with some of the oranges and reds, but it will be a little more laid back outside of the possibility of some mod packs.  If anyone has any ideas for mod packs they'd like to see, please pipe up.

I approve of WCK - that'll look very sweet.  Some ideas I've had for mod kits:

• Icon mod set
  • CMYK (or some other color) mod legends - for those who would like a bit of color but keep the classy gray scheme (I think this would be really cool - like look at how the yellow interacts with the midnight alphas: http://i.imgur.com/qxQnya1.jpg)
  • WASD legends inverse - like what you got, but keep the cap gray and the blue / orange for legends instead?
  • Definitely add an ISO kit for our friends across the pond

I'd certainly be willing to goof around in Blender a bit and mock up some renders for this if you'd be interested - could you PM me the list of colors please?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:39:34 »
Tell me more about what you mean by icon mod set. 

ISO is definitely planned.  I just need to get a better idea of what should be included in it. It sees every GB has different caps in their ISO kit.  That makes it kind of tough to figure out the ideal caps.

And for the Ergodox mentioned above, I don't have one, so it helps if you list the special caps needed for an e-dox kit.

Offline Data

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 22:15:01 »
This is what Matt3o did for Granite R2.

The biggest difference is that Signature Plastics can only do doubleshot legends parallel to the longest side.  So in this case all of the 2u legends would be rotated 90 degrees, and same with some of the 1.5u.  You can probably guess from the image which keys.

I have some suggestions for additional keys if you're curious.  Let me know what font and RGB color codes you're working with and I can do a mock-up.

Offline -blind

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:50:30 »

ISO is definitely planned.  I just need to get a better idea of what should be included in it. It sees every GB has different caps in their ISO kit.  That makes it kind of tough to figure out the ideal caps.

And for the Ergodox mentioned above, I don't have one, so it helps if you list the special caps needed for an e-dox kit.

You know, like icon mods like at wasd (thinking about it, I don't know if SP can doubleshot mold them - worth asking though):

Offline prophit

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:57:03 »
Ya I am down love the colors on the common set.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:29:53 »
+1 for icons, if possible. I'm very fond of that clean text-less aesthetic.

Offline Data

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 12:52:01 »
This is just me messing around in Photoshop.  Hope I'm not stepping on any toes.

That would probably be an expensive set, so you might have to trim a few keys to hit a decent price point.  Not sure.  I do think it covers a lot of common ErgoDox layouts though.

It's my understanding that Tab and Backslash keys are already 1.5u in a standard ANSI layout.  If I'm wrong someone please correct me.  Since this is DSA they could be dropped into an ErgoDox with no profile issues.

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:39:38 »
I love the retro colors, and I love DSA.

The only thing I would add is maybe a couple novelties, like a Commodore 64 C= logo or a pixel sprite like a Space Invader or something.

Offline Arvid

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 07:38:53 »
Wow, really like the retrodox.

Offline spenghammer

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 19:23:59 »
Ooh I like the looks of this set :D Count me in :D  It might be asking too much, but an Amiga logo cap would be killer!

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 20:18:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Liking the orange wasd with the brown,  and the blue wasd with the gray.   Very interested!

Offline Zeroblade

• Twitter
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 02:39:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Liking the orange wasd with the brown,  and the blue wasd with the gray.   Very interested!

Agreed. A DSA profile with large centered text (or icon) legends in these colors would just be amazing.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:44:37 »
SA pls?

Offline Data

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 08:17:55 »
SA pls?

Top of the page:

Also, I'm pretty sure this set is on "permanent hold" at least until several other GBs have run their courses.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 03:56:16 »
Really nice! I am definitely up for it.  :thumb:

Base set, ISO, the lot actually.  ;D

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 05:13:38 »
If this set ever runs in SA profile (either 2,3,3,3,4 or 1,2,3,4,3) I would order at least one set :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline caffo

• 10 GOTO 10
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 06:15:01 »
Would buy the hell out of this.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:30:33 »
I have a interest in this set.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:57:43 »
DSA is a faithful profile for the set to match the original. Of course, some does not care about fidelity in the reproduction, instead they care just about what they want, another this, or another that. Therefore, fulfill the dream of the masses, who cares about retro-sh...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:33:35 »
DSA is a faithful profile for the set to match the original. Of course, some does not care about fidelity in the reproduction, instead they care just about what they want, another this, or another that. Therefore, fulfill the dream of the masses, who cares about retro-sh...

Kind of how I feel.

That said, I now have a PX-8 and HX-40 in person.  The caps are interchangeable between the two even though one is RD and the other Hirose switches. 

The PX-8 caps, while low profile, are closer in shape to GMK caps, the HX-40 is closer to DSA.  Personally, I think the DSA profile is awesome.

Since we now have DMK Dolch out in the wild, I'm debating two ways for this.  While not a perfect match while it doesn't have the nice brownish notes I want, it would be possible to make a GMK modifier set that you could use with Dolch and get a similar look.  The second is to go with my original plan and do a DSA set. 

If none of those work, I can look into SS (though I think it's retired) or, as much as I hate it, SA.  I wouldn't mind Devlin, but they won't work individuals last time I contacted them and I really don't want to do anything through QWER (if they're even around still) since Devlin told me I had to go through them.  The only other real options are lower quality caps.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:55:49 »
Here's two rough GMK color mockups.

Here it is as a Dolch add-on:

Here it is as an independent full set:

Offline TheOpposition

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 14:52:26 »
I'm in on this, looking good :cool:
(2) Poker II's
Poker 3 W/ Blues
JD40
Ergrodox

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 18:38:03 »
And a GMK color mockup with the SP template.

Offline Data

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 15:06:16 »
How faithful is the GMK colorway, in your opinion?

I'm still on board for a DSA set.  Stick with the original plan, I say.  :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:38:15 »

Faithful to Epson?  The Alphas aren't but the mods are.  I still think GMK looks great.

I'll need to order some SP rings to scan and make some SP mock ups with.  I'm just having a hard time dropping ~$50 with shipping.

And I got an e-mail from Melissa. SS is totally retired.  I can only do DSA, DCS, SA, or KT.

Offline Data

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:34:04 »

Faithful to Epson?  The Alphas aren't but the mods are.  I still think GMK looks great.

I'll need to order some SP rings to scan and make some SP mock ups with.  I'm just having a hard time dropping ~$50 with shipping.

And I got an e-mail from Melissa. SS is totally retired.  I can only do DSA, DCS, SA, or KT.

SP raised the price of their color rings recently.  Which chips do you need?  I might be able to loan you some from the ABS ring.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 12:25:24 »
I really couldn't say.  I was planning on scanning them in so I could play with them and figure out the best colors.  It would have to be the reds, browns, and greys at the least.

Offline Data

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 13:14:17 »
I really couldn't say.  I was planning on scanning them in so I could play with them and figure out the best colors.  It would have to be the reds, browns, and greys at the least.

Don't forget that Krogenar did this with the ABS chips back in 2013.  Just putting it out there.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 03:40:14 »

Don't forget that Krogenar did this with the ABS chips back in 2013.  Just putting it out there.

The Deskthority ABS colours are very accurate (about as accurate as you can get, IMHO): http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_ABS_colours

I have yet to see an accurate GMK colour chart, though. Peeps need to do some proper colour sampling...
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:04:37 »
I don’t have the link handy (I can look it up in a few days), but there are google docs spreadsheets showing the spectrophotometer readouts (IIRC reflectance samples for wavelengths spaced 5 nm apart throughout the visible range) for all the ABS and PBT color chips. If you want, you can use that to calculate the appearance under any arbitrary light source, such as cloudy or sunny daylight, incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs, etc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:09:41 by jacobolus »

Offline hairy9802

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 11:10:29 »
no news regarding this set?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 11:15:21 »

There were way too many SP sets going on at once and PMK hasn't really been a great avenue, so it's on hold.  I still really want to do the set, but I'm trying to find a better way of doing it.

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 15:01:40 »
I'm gonna put it out there - if you make the light grey match the light grey of the silver Ducky Mini and the dark grey the darker Ducky Mini, you're on to something ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:20:47 »

There were way too many SP sets going on at once and PMK hasn't really been a great avenue, so it's on hold.  I still really want to do the set, but I'm trying to find a better way of doing it.

That is wise, there is just too many GBs running now; however I think the idea is great. It took me a while to get accustom to DSA profile, but now it is second nature, and the look is just far better than most of the other profiles available. I have one main driver with DSA, and my second one with a Cherry set.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:31:16 »

That is wise, there is just too many GBs running now; however I think the idea is great. It took me a while to get accustom to DSA profile, but now it is second nature, and the look is just far better than most of the other profiles available. I have one main driver with DSA, and my second one with a Cherry set.

They're also much more versatile in terms of alternate layouts since the uniformity doesn't punish you and you can more easily add four additional deeper scooped home caps than you can completely change the layout.

Hopefully buys die down a little so I can launch this.  That and proper rendered mockups would be huge.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:45:54 »
When the GB comes, I strongly recommend to include the ISO enter and a couple of blank 1u keys as part of the main set ala GMK buys style, the recent history of SP buys showed that only Granite and Skull Sq.'s ISO keys barely reached MoQ. That may motivate Euro brothers to join. Of course, the proposal has its selfish side: I have configured my favorite GON with ISO enter key, and I'd love to use this set on it also.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:53:42 »
The big problem with ISO support is twofold.  First off, no matter how you do it someone complains and you get threats that unless you do it a certain way someone won't join.  Those often include region and language specific keys instead of blanks.  Those threats are a huge impact on reason two.  Secondly, they add a considerable amount of money to the set (~$10-20) which is often a barrier to participation and you get the majority ANSI users complaining about the additional cost that they're subsidizing. 

If I can run it on CtrlAlt (and handle distro myself and/or with volunteers) where people buy because Bunny, I'd do something like you suggest.  If it's on PMK (as much as I hate the site), it will likely be a split set since the ISO kit will really hit hard.

I'd love to have built in ISO support, but, realistically, it's highly contingent upon how it's done as to whether or not ISO support is added.

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 06:55:23 »
Well, I'm in it if there's ISO in any way/shape/form.  :cool:

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #100 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 07:29:26 »

I think the modern selectric interest check on PMY has an interesting way of doing ISO. There is a base set, and then separate deals for  UK/DE/FR/ES/Nordic. 

Though putting all the ISO keys into a separate giant deal gives it a higher chance to drop, it really pumps up the cost.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 17:38:48 »
The big problem with ISO support is twofold.  First off, no matter how you do it someone complains and you get threats that unless you do it a certain way someone won't join.  Those often include region and language specific keys instead of blanks.  Those threats are a huge impact on reason two.  Secondly, they add a considerable amount of money to the set (~$10-20) which is often a barrier to participation and you get the majority ANSI users complaining about the additional cost that they're subsidizing. 

If I can run it on CtrlAlt (and handle distro myself and/or with volunteers) where people buy because Bunny, I'd do something like you suggest.  If it's on PMK (as much as I hate the site), it will likely be a split set since the ISO kit will really hit hard.

I'd love to have built in ISO support, but, realistically, it's highly contingent upon how it's done as to whether or not ISO support is added.

The argument makes a lot of sense and I really appreciate you took the time to write such a well articulated answer to my awkward request, I am afraid though, that the odds are against ISO support, so I should stick to my beloved GMKs, Granites and Skulls sets. Thank you Nubbi.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 17:48:04 »
Welcome and it's not an awkward request.  It's one that gets asked a lot, it's just often not viable due to the cost and very low numbers of people who buy ISO kits.

My dream is to do a minimalist set that helps the maximum number of people.  If I can do it in Cherry profile with JTKeycaps, it should be cheaper  and easier to make a set that's a similar profile to one of the sets this is based on and include ISO, G80-1800, HHKB, etc.  If I can't, then it will be DSA which will be much more expensive and more diverse unless the hype train gets rolling.

Also, if I remember correctly, there wasn't an ISO enter available in DSA when I started this, but they have one now and that's why it wasn't in the original plan as part of the main set. 

Offline furiousatama

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 21:29:26 »
I dig it! Like the DSA, too.

Offline LieutenantJesus

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 20:46:12 »
It's funny, a friend of mine was just showing me some of the old keyboards that had cassette players in them, and I always loved the look of them.

The orange arrows really make this set stand out. I know some don't like them, but they're awesome. Really hoping this makes it to a buy.

Offline MagicMan

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 18:20:43 »
I would be interested in this too. I would use ANSI keys though. I like the font of the second picture too.
Max Keyboard - Cherry MX blue

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 16:20:07 »
Mm this could be my first DSA set, very nice

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 17:46:24 »
I still want to do it, but not sure of the best way of doing it yet, especially since PMK is such a mess.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 20:27:18 »
Its been some time since the last reply, update?

I really love this set, the gray variant especially.

The one addition I would need is a 2U right shift key for my G80.

Thanks.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 00:00:01 »
Still planning on doing this set, just not sure what's the best way to run it and debating mixing up the profile.

Offline just66in

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:20:17 »
Loving the color scheme however I'm not much of a DSA fan. DCS wld have easily won me over - any chance of having this in DCS?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:21:25 »
Still planning on doing this set, just not sure what's the best way to run it and debating mixing up the profile.

I think this would be the perfect set for JT Keycaps.

This is hoping their quality is as good as the previews suggest.

I guess we will find out soon  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:36:28 »
Loving the color scheme however I'm not much of a DSA fan. DCS wld have easily won me over - any chance of having this in DCS?

I just hate how thin DCS is and know I would never use the set.  SP options really are DSA and SA for thicker caps.  I'm not a fan of SA, but I may move that route since people seem to prefer SA to DSA.  I just like DSA since it makes it easier for more people to use the caps with varied layouts.

I think this would be the perfect set for JT Keycaps.

This is hoping their quality is as good as the previews suggest.

I guess we will find out soon  :thumb:

I would love that as an option, not sure if it will.  I feel like there's enough interest, but bunny has his own ideas of what he'd like to run.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 04:36:32 »
I'd love to see this set happen. Couldn't join the Carbon massdrop because of limited funds after the vacation. Still I find the color scheme in this set sexier than the Carbon set.

SA profile is trickier yes... But I'd still opt for SA profile to achieve a true retro feel and look.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 07:50:22 »
DSA is more similar to the original Cassette computer's keyboards, that the set tries to emulate, I do not see how SA, with its taller profile, may resemble those boards. Maybe just the color.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 08:32:36 »
DSA is more similar to the original Cassette computer's keyboards, that the set tries to emulate, I do not see how SA, with its taller profile, may resemble those boards. Maybe just the color.

True. I just find SA profile more retro. But you are absolutely correct. DSA resembles the board more correctly.

Offline kevral

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 01:25:05 »
I am very interested - but in ISO Nordic or Norwegian. I have been looking for a Dolch set, but like this colorway more. And DSA is also my favorite.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 08:02:50 »
A pity DSA is matte only. I'd love to have a set like this, but in "squashed SA", low profile, but with wider keytops than DSA and in semi-matte or even gloss.

Perhaps something like Devlin Q series: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Devlin_Q_series
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 08:59:12 »
I am very interested - but in ISO Nordic or Norwegian. I have been looking for a Dolch set, but like this colorway more. And DSA is also my favorite.

+1 for ISO Nordic (Swedish).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 09:04:53 »
A pity DSA is matte only. I'd love to have a set like this, but in "squashed SA", low profile, but with wider keytops than DSA and in semi-matte or even gloss.

Perhaps something like Devlin Q series: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Devlin_Q_series

Last I talked to Devlin they would only with with QWERkeys.  They were also about as expensive as GMK with an equally high MOQ.  I also believe Q series is missing certain cap sizes you'd needed.

Offline spectre

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 22:23:23 »
very interesting... does SP make glossy DSAs?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 22:36:19 »
No plan of doing anything glossy.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 03:54:40 »

Last I talked to Devlin they would only with with QWERkeys.  They were also about as expensive as GMK with an equally high MOQ.  I also believe Q series is missing certain cap sizes you'd needed.

Darn.. oh well... I'm hoping Gateron or JT Keycaps eventually make some spherical top caps. SP needs some competition in the "reasonable MOQ" spherical keycaps market.

SP only has matte molds for DSA. I do love SA, but sometimes I'd like a lower profile set and I don't like the smaller tops of DSA or the matte finish.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline JeremyFXDWG

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 20:45:53 »
I would be in for a set or 2. Could I please request Mac modifiers and maybe media keys.

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 04:01:08 »
I would also dig it if there is ISO support :D nice set imho

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:35:03 »
I'd may be in for a set of alphas, the color is awesome. If it had ISO enter, I would buy one as well.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:38:20 »
When I do this, I'd want to do an all or nothing style buy (like Hacked by Geeks) with ISO, tsangan, and some other small things built in.  I know that might put some people off due to cost, but I think it would be the best way to do it. 

I still need to finalize if I want to do it in DSA or succumb to the zealots and do SA or if I want to try another manufacturer.  The major hurdle is platform.  I don't want to do it on PMK when it pops up again, but the whole GH/Google spreadsheet causes problems too.

Offline neverused

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:48:25 »
There are too many SA sets lately, my vote would be to do DSA to match the original more closely. Devlin also recently showed some new spherical caps as well.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:44:47 »
There are too many SA sets lately, my vote would be to do DSA to match the original more closely. Devlin also recently showed some new spherical caps as well.

I've reached out to Devlin in the past and they weren't willing to work with individuals to do a GB.  They stated that anything would have to go through QWERkeys.  I'm not sure how it is now.  They also wouldn't send me a color ring even when I asked if I could buy one.

Offline neverused

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 15:25:05 »
That's too bad, maybe UKKeycaps could help out?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 15:57:42 »
Y, UKKeycaps is looking like the replacement for QWERKeys, so hopefully they step up and show us some Q profile awesomeness.

Another option for this design could be in all Row 3 SA with a possible new font (hint, hint) that may become possible in a while... (it'll match the first inspiration photo font pretty darn well).
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:29:24 »
Y, UKKeycaps is looking like the replacement for QWERKeys, so hopefully they step up and show us some Q profile awesomeness.

Another option for this design could be in all Row 3 SA with a possible new font (hint, hint) that may become possible in a while... (it'll match the first inspiration photo font pretty darn well).

I well and truly hate SA, but I do want to see this happen.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:43:20 »
I like your design and your inspiration is completely different, but if you switched to Row 3 SA and replaced the grey keys with more red keys, it would start looking like the Olivetti Valentine typewriter, which is an Italian design legend that I like even more.

If that's not the direction you want to go though, no problem. I just really like the Valentine.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:46:34 »
Definitely not the way I want to go with it.  I do have my typewriter inspired sets as well.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:35:04 »
It is not clear how SA could be related with Olivetti Valentine more than any other key cap; because, the Valentine is a mechanical typewriter, whose "keys" are actually levelers.

It is clear some advocate SA over DSA, but the original idea here, the cassette computers, carried DSA style key caps, that by the way are an SP original; thus, there is no vintage device that actually had them, as part of their OEM design.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:56:23 »
It is clear some advocate SA over DSA, but the original idea here, the cassette computers, carried DSA style key caps, that by the way are an SP original; thus, there is no vintage device that actually had them, as part of their OEM design.

SP was not the originator of the profile.  Cherry actually had a dished cap set (like this, this, and this) that I believe they did for their M8 switches that I would kill for and would kill to do this set in, but I have no clue who holds the molds, how much it would be, and if they would have all the caps available.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:36:54 »

SP was not the originator of the profile.  Cherry actually had a dished cap set (like this, this, and this) that I believe they did for their M8 switches that I would kill for and would kill to do this set in, but I have no clue who holds the molds, how much it would be, and if they would have all the caps available.

True, I meant the DSA design in particular; but of course, the low profile spherical concept for key caps predates anything SP made, as the examples you shown in your OP demonstrate.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:39:17 »
Wow, those keys are awesome. I just reproduce the image here as a teaser.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:57:38 »
It is not clear how SA could be related with Olivetti Valentine more than any other key cap; because, the Valentine is a mechanical typewriter, whose "keys" are actually levelers.

If nubbinator doesn't want to go in that direction, you can forget about the Valentine (with regards to this thread). I don't have a really strong opinion about keycap profiles other than that they make sense for the keycap set and the people who are using them; Row 3 SA has larger tops and different finish options, and may have a nice font, is all. I'm not a fanboy, I just think the options should be carefully considered.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:01:21 »

If nubbinator doesn't want to go in that direction, you can forget about the Valentine (with regards to this thread). I don't have a really strong opinion about keycap profiles other than that they make sense for the keycap set and the people who are using them; Row 3 SA has larger tops and different finish options, and may have a nice font, is all. I'm not a fanboy, I just think the options should be carefully considered.

That is true, and Mr. Nubbi has been working with the community for a long time, tossing and rounding the idea of this set; that I hope will be a success when run. A simple, in nice colors set with a vintage touch.

P.D.: Welcome to GH.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 09:41:27 »

I well and truly hate SA, but I do want to see this happen.

:D well that's put paid to that. DSA sets can sell well, too. Just look at Granite. A good design that people want will sell well. Hell, I even ordered DSA Dolch when it looked like it would be the only way to get the colourway easily. That turned out to be a very big mistake, though, considering how that GB went. I got my fix finally with GMK Dolch from Ivan.

And you're not alone, there are many other DSA-lovers out there.

I'll ask about if the font can be used also with DSA, it may be possible. Anyway, still gonna be a while before that gets off the ground, though.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Data

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 10:39:02 »
I think people jumped on Granite also because it's PBT.  :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 10:49:40 »
Granite:

Good:

Great color combination.
Awesome design, specially the icons.
PBT = long lasting.

Not so good, for some:

DSA, not a bad trade-off to get a very nice, useful, flexible, and long lasting set.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:33:53 »
Granite:

Good:

Great color combination.
PBT = long lasting.

Not so good, for some:

DSA, not a bad trade-off to get a very nice, useful, flexible, and long lasting set.

Agreed, I'm not a big fan of DSA, but it replicates the original style not too badly, and I'd like to have this in PBT.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:03:43 »
Granite:

Good:

Great color combination.
PBT = long lasting.

Not so good, for some:

Agreed, I'm not a big fan of DSA, but it replicates the original style not too badly, and I'd like to have this in PBT.

Sigh... SP don't doubleshot PBT, so unless you want this with pad printed legends, you're stuck with ABS since you can't dyesub a light colour onto a dark cap.

And unfortunately legend molds cannot be used across profiles, so our SA font (if it gets made) will not be usable on DSA profile without the cost of cutting the legends again for it, which will cost a fair chunk of money (109 legends * $50 = lots).
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline irae

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 15:52:54 »

Same here

Edit: Prefer DCS or SA, browns, WASD also browns (no highlight)
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2016, 16:00:20 by irae »

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 19:06:20 »
*interest

Fluke 1720A is really the color scheme I'm after. https://imgur.com/a/erUCZ

Here's the Retro SA expired group buy. https://ctrlalt.io/buys/sa-retro

Back to earth tones.  Think musty basement. Also looking for Apple modifiers

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:28:52 »
I'm a fan of DSA, I think we need more! Too many SA keysets out there (plus super long queue for them).

Offline MarvinMerlin

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:52:59 »
Im feelin it

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 19:24:32 »
I'm a fan of DSA, I think we need more! Too many SA keysets out there (plus super long queue for them).
If there's so many, how come I can't find any ? Are there no artists left ? It really annoys me , this term "artisans". How it refers to ONE keycap, where's the full keyset with wacky textures and custom pantone colors?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 19:40:10 »
If there's so many, how come I can't find any ? Are there no artists left ? It really annoys me , this term "artisans". How it refers to ONE keycap, where's the full keyset with wacky textures and custom pantone colors?

Picasso is overrated.

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 19:42:19 »
You can always just buy 108 artisan keycaps and make your own set ;)

Offline turboloser

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:43:59 »
Absolutely.

This is the 80's I love.

Offline zslane

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 15:23:17 »
If there's so many, how come I can't find any ?

Because all the SA sets "out there" are on people's keyboards, not sitting in some warehouse waiting to be bought.

Group buys typically have a very narrow window of opportunity for purchase, and they generally only make enough stock to fill the pre-orders. So if you missed out on the group buy(s), you are out of luck. Unless, of course, someone wants to sell their (used) set, which is pretty rare for SA sets.

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 09:18:27 »
If there's so many, how come I can't find any ?

Because all the SA sets "out there" are on people's keyboards, not sitting in some warehouse waiting to be bought.

Group buys typically have a very narrow window of opportunity for purchase, and they generally only make enough stock to fill the pre-orders. So if you missed out on the group buy(s), you are out of luck. Unless, of course, someone wants to sell their (used) set, which is pretty rare for SA sets.
Yea,  I get it.  I'm just publicly venting. And I'm hoping to get another plastics manufacturer on board the SA train. Signature plastics has ruled long enough.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 09:34:10 »
This is way off topic.  Looking temporarily because I want to keep more active ICs at the top.