Author Topic: [IC] Retro Cassette DSA  (Read 37617 times)

Offline My_Thoughts

Re: [IC] Retro Cassette DSA
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 07:29:26 »
Tell me more about what you mean by icon mod set. 

ISO is definitely planned.  I just need to get a better idea of what should be included in it. It sees every GB has different caps in their ISO kit.  That makes it kind of tough to figure out the ideal caps.

And for the Ergodox mentioned above, I don't have one, so it helps if you list the special caps needed for an e-dox kit.

I think the modern selectric interest check on PMY has an interesting way of doing ISO. There is a base set, and then separate deals for  UK/DE/FR/ES/Nordic. 

Though putting all the ISO keys into a separate giant deal gives it a higher chance to drop, it really pumps up the cost.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 17:38:48 »
The big problem with ISO support is twofold.  First off, no matter how you do it someone complains and you get threats that unless you do it a certain way someone won't join.  Those often include region and language specific keys instead of blanks.  Those threats are a huge impact on reason two.  Secondly, they add a considerable amount of money to the set (~$10-20) which is often a barrier to participation and you get the majority ANSI users complaining about the additional cost that they're subsidizing. 

If I can run it on CtrlAlt (and handle distro myself and/or with volunteers) where people buy because Bunny, I'd do something like you suggest.  If it's on PMK (as much as I hate the site), it will likely be a split set since the ISO kit will really hit hard.

I'd love to have built in ISO support, but, realistically, it's highly contingent upon how it's done as to whether or not ISO support is added.

The argument makes a lot of sense and I really appreciate you took the time to write such a well articulated answer to my awkward request, I am afraid though, that the odds are against ISO support, so I should stick to my beloved GMKs, Granites and Skulls sets. Thank you Nubbi.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 17:48:04 »
Welcome and it's not an awkward request.  It's one that gets asked a lot, it's just often not viable due to the cost and very low numbers of people who buy ISO kits.

My dream is to do a minimalist set that helps the maximum number of people.  If I can do it in Cherry profile with JTKeycaps, it should be cheaper  and easier to make a set that's a similar profile to one of the sets this is based on and include ISO, G80-1800, HHKB, etc.  If I can't, then it will be DSA which will be much more expensive and more diverse unless the hype train gets rolling.

Also, if I remember correctly, there wasn't an ISO enter available in DSA when I started this, but they have one now and that's why it wasn't in the original plan as part of the main set. 

Offline furiousatama

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 21:29:26 »
I dig it! Like the DSA, too.

Offline LieutenantJesus

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 20:46:12 »
It's funny, a friend of mine was just showing me some of the old keyboards that had cassette players in them, and I always loved the look of them.

The orange arrows really make this set stand out. I know some don't like them, but they're awesome. Really hoping this makes it to a buy.

Offline MagicMan

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 18:20:43 »
I would be interested in this too. I would use ANSI keys though. I like the font of the second picture too.
Max Keyboard - Cherry MX blue

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 16:20:07 »
Mm this could be my first DSA set, very nice

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 17:46:24 »
I still want to do it, but not sure of the best way of doing it yet, especially since PMK is such a mess.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 20:27:18 »
Its been some time since the last reply, update?

I really love this set, the gray variant especially.

The one addition I would need is a 2U right shift key for my G80.

Thanks.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 00:00:01 »
Still planning on doing this set, just not sure what's the best way to run it and debating mixing up the profile.

Offline just66in

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:20:17 »
Loving the color scheme however I'm not much of a DSA fan. DCS wld have easily won me over - any chance of having this in DCS?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:21:25 »
Still planning on doing this set, just not sure what's the best way to run it and debating mixing up the profile.

I think this would be the perfect set for JT Keycaps.

This is hoping their quality is as good as the previews suggest.

I guess we will find out soon  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:36:28 »
Loving the color scheme however I'm not much of a DSA fan. DCS wld have easily won me over - any chance of having this in DCS?

I just hate how thin DCS is and know I would never use the set.  SP options really are DSA and SA for thicker caps.  I'm not a fan of SA, but I may move that route since people seem to prefer SA to DSA.  I just like DSA since it makes it easier for more people to use the caps with varied layouts.

I think this would be the perfect set for JT Keycaps.

This is hoping their quality is as good as the previews suggest.

I guess we will find out soon  :thumb:

I would love that as an option, not sure if it will.  I feel like there's enough interest, but bunny has his own ideas of what he'd like to run.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 04:36:32 »
I'd love to see this set happen. Couldn't join the Carbon massdrop because of limited funds after the vacation. Still I find the color scheme in this set sexier than the Carbon set.

SA profile is trickier yes... But I'd still opt for SA profile to achieve a true retro feel and look.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 07:50:22 »
DSA is more similar to the original Cassette computer's keyboards, that the set tries to emulate, I do not see how SA, with its taller profile, may resemble those boards. Maybe just the color.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 08:32:36 »
DSA is more similar to the original Cassette computer's keyboards, that the set tries to emulate, I do not see how SA, with its taller profile, may resemble those boards. Maybe just the color.

True. I just find SA profile more retro. But you are absolutely correct. DSA resembles the board more correctly.

Offline kevral

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 01:25:05 »
I am very interested - but in ISO Nordic or Norwegian. I have been looking for a Dolch set, but like this colorway more. And DSA is also my favorite.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 08:02:50 »
A pity DSA is matte only. I'd love to have a set like this, but in "squashed SA", low profile, but with wider keytops than DSA and in semi-matte or even gloss.

Perhaps something like Devlin Q series: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Devlin_Q_series
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 08:59:12 »
I am very interested - but in ISO Nordic or Norwegian. I have been looking for a Dolch set, but like this colorway more. And DSA is also my favorite.

+1 for ISO Nordic (Swedish).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 09:04:53 »
A pity DSA is matte only. I'd love to have a set like this, but in "squashed SA", low profile, but with wider keytops than DSA and in semi-matte or even gloss.

Perhaps something like Devlin Q series: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Devlin_Q_series

Last I talked to Devlin they would only with with QWERkeys.  They were also about as expensive as GMK with an equally high MOQ.  I also believe Q series is missing certain cap sizes you'd needed.

Offline spectre

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 22:23:23 »
very interesting... does SP make glossy DSAs?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 22:36:19 »
No plan of doing anything glossy.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 03:54:40 »

Last I talked to Devlin they would only with with QWERkeys.  They were also about as expensive as GMK with an equally high MOQ.  I also believe Q series is missing certain cap sizes you'd needed.

Darn.. oh well... I'm hoping Gateron or JT Keycaps eventually make some spherical top caps. SP needs some competition in the "reasonable MOQ" spherical keycaps market.

SP only has matte molds for DSA. I do love SA, but sometimes I'd like a lower profile set and I don't like the smaller tops of DSA or the matte finish.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline JeremyFXDWG

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 20:45:53 »
I would be in for a set or 2. Could I please request Mac modifiers and maybe media keys.

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 04:01:08 »
I would also dig it if there is ISO support :D nice set imho

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:35:03 »
I'd may be in for a set of alphas, the color is awesome. If it had ISO enter, I would buy one as well.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:38:20 »
When I do this, I'd want to do an all or nothing style buy (like Hacked by Geeks) with ISO, tsangan, and some other small things built in.  I know that might put some people off due to cost, but I think it would be the best way to do it. 

I still need to finalize if I want to do it in DSA or succumb to the zealots and do SA or if I want to try another manufacturer.  The major hurdle is platform.  I don't want to do it on PMK when it pops up again, but the whole GH/Google spreadsheet causes problems too.

Offline neverused

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:48:25 »
There are too many SA sets lately, my vote would be to do DSA to match the original more closely. Devlin also recently showed some new spherical caps as well.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:44:47 »
There are too many SA sets lately, my vote would be to do DSA to match the original more closely. Devlin also recently showed some new spherical caps as well.

I've reached out to Devlin in the past and they weren't willing to work with individuals to do a GB.  They stated that anything would have to go through QWERkeys.  I'm not sure how it is now.  They also wouldn't send me a color ring even when I asked if I could buy one.

Offline neverused

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 15:25:05 »
That's too bad, maybe UKKeycaps could help out?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 15:57:42 »
Y, UKKeycaps is looking like the replacement for QWERKeys, so hopefully they step up and show us some Q profile awesomeness.

Another option for this design could be in all Row 3 SA with a possible new font (hint, hint) that may become possible in a while... (it'll match the first inspiration photo font pretty darn well).
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:29:24 »
Y, UKKeycaps is looking like the replacement for QWERKeys, so hopefully they step up and show us some Q profile awesomeness.

Another option for this design could be in all Row 3 SA with a possible new font (hint, hint) that may become possible in a while... (it'll match the first inspiration photo font pretty darn well).

I well and truly hate SA, but I do want to see this happen.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:43:20 »
I like your design and your inspiration is completely different, but if you switched to Row 3 SA and replaced the grey keys with more red keys, it would start looking like the Olivetti Valentine typewriter, which is an Italian design legend that I like even more.

If that's not the direction you want to go though, no problem. I just really like the Valentine.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:46:34 »
Definitely not the way I want to go with it.  I do have my typewriter inspired sets as well.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:35:04 »
It is not clear how SA could be related with Olivetti Valentine more than any other key cap; because, the Valentine is a mechanical typewriter, whose "keys" are actually levelers.

It is clear some advocate SA over DSA, but the original idea here, the cassette computers, carried DSA style key caps, that by the way are an SP original; thus, there is no vintage device that actually had them, as part of their OEM design.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 17:56:23 »
It is clear some advocate SA over DSA, but the original idea here, the cassette computers, carried DSA style key caps, that by the way are an SP original; thus, there is no vintage device that actually had them, as part of their OEM design.

SP was not the originator of the profile.  Cherry actually had a dished cap set (like this, this, and this) that I believe they did for their M8 switches that I would kill for and would kill to do this set in, but I have no clue who holds the molds, how much it would be, and if they would have all the caps available.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:36:54 »

SP was not the originator of the profile.  Cherry actually had a dished cap set (like this, this, and this) that I believe they did for their M8 switches that I would kill for and would kill to do this set in, but I have no clue who holds the molds, how much it would be, and if they would have all the caps available.

True, I meant the DSA design in particular; but of course, the low profile spherical concept for key caps predates anything SP made, as the examples you shown in your OP demonstrate.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:39:17 »
Wow, those keys are awesome. I just reproduce the image here as a teaser.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:57:38 »
It is not clear how SA could be related with Olivetti Valentine more than any other key cap; because, the Valentine is a mechanical typewriter, whose "keys" are actually levelers.

If nubbinator doesn't want to go in that direction, you can forget about the Valentine (with regards to this thread). I don't have a really strong opinion about keycap profiles other than that they make sense for the keycap set and the people who are using them; Row 3 SA has larger tops and different finish options, and may have a nice font, is all. I'm not a fanboy, I just think the options should be carefully considered.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:01:21 »

If nubbinator doesn't want to go in that direction, you can forget about the Valentine (with regards to this thread). I don't have a really strong opinion about keycap profiles other than that they make sense for the keycap set and the people who are using them; Row 3 SA has larger tops and different finish options, and may have a nice font, is all. I'm not a fanboy, I just think the options should be carefully considered.

That is true, and Mr. Nubbi has been working with the community for a long time, tossing and rounding the idea of this set; that I hope will be a success when run. A simple, in nice colors set with a vintage touch.

P.D.: Welcome to GH.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 09:41:27 »

I well and truly hate SA, but I do want to see this happen.

:D well that's put paid to that. DSA sets can sell well, too. Just look at Granite. A good design that people want will sell well. Hell, I even ordered DSA Dolch when it looked like it would be the only way to get the colourway easily. That turned out to be a very big mistake, though, considering how that GB went. I got my fix finally with GMK Dolch from Ivan.

And you're not alone, there are many other DSA-lovers out there.

I'll ask about if the font can be used also with DSA, it may be possible. Anyway, still gonna be a while before that gets off the ground, though.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Data

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 10:39:02 »
I think people jumped on Granite also because it's PBT.  :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 10:49:40 »
Granite:

Good:

Great color combination.
Awesome design, specially the icons.
PBT = long lasting.

Not so good, for some:

DSA, not a bad trade-off to get a very nice, useful, flexible, and long lasting set.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:33:53 »
Granite:

Good:

Great color combination.
PBT = long lasting.

Not so good, for some:

DSA, not a bad trade-off to get a very nice, useful, flexible, and long lasting set.

Agreed, I'm not a big fan of DSA, but it replicates the original style not too badly, and I'd like to have this in PBT.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:03:43 »
Granite:

Good:

Great color combination.
PBT = long lasting.

Not so good, for some:

Agreed, I'm not a big fan of DSA, but it replicates the original style not too badly, and I'd like to have this in PBT.

Sigh... SP don't doubleshot PBT, so unless you want this with pad printed legends, you're stuck with ABS since you can't dyesub a light colour onto a dark cap.

And unfortunately legend molds cannot be used across profiles, so our SA font (if it gets made) will not be usable on DSA profile without the cost of cutting the legends again for it, which will cost a fair chunk of money (109 legends * $50 = lots).
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline irae

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 15:52:54 »
Colors look great, but boo to DSA.

Same here

Edit: Prefer DCS or SA, browns, WASD also browns (no highlight)
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2016, 16:00:20 by irae »

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 19:06:20 »
*interest

Fluke 1720A is really the color scheme I'm after. https://imgur.com/a/erUCZ

Here's the Retro SA expired group buy. https://ctrlalt.io/buys/sa-retro

Back to earth tones.  Think musty basement. Also looking for Apple modifiers

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:28:52 »
I'm a fan of DSA, I think we need more! Too many SA keysets out there (plus super long queue for them).

Offline MarvinMerlin

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:52:59 »
Im feelin it

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 19:24:32 »
I'm a fan of DSA, I think we need more! Too many SA keysets out there (plus super long queue for them).
If there's so many, how come I can't find any ? Are there no artists left ? It really annoys me , this term "artisans". How it refers to ONE keycap, where's the full keyset with wacky textures and custom pantone colors?