Author Topic: [IC] Custom Braided USB cables  (Read 38871 times)

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
[IC] Custom Braided USB cables
« on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 01:52:25 »
(Update 13/12/15) I've moved this to the Artisan Services section https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77725.0

Debut Sale : Tarmac Orange Sale

Updated price :
1ft - 12USD <--(base price)
2ft - 15USD
3ft - 18USD
4ft - 21USD
5ft - 26USD
6ft - 31USD

Shipping - 10USD (worldwide)(registered mail with tracking)

Thanks for all the support  :thumb:

--------------------
Hi fellow GHer,

This is an IC to see whether there are enough interest for me to start making braided USB cables and sell it here.

I have been making my own braided cables for quite awhile now, sometimes when I post a picture of my keyboard, someone will ask about the cable and some even requested me to make them one. After buying and testing lots of wires from many different sources and lots of trial and error, finally I managed to pick a few wires that make great cables.

If you're still not so convinced, please take a look at the pictures  ^-^

So, are they pretty?  :D

I will update the approximate pricing and shipping later  ;)

-Update 1 (02/10/15)
Hi, thanks for all the positive feedbacks  :D

I will list out stuff that I can get my hands on right now and explain a little bit of what I'm offering now.

Currently I will offer 2 types of wires, one is the sky blue one, it's about .6mm in thickness, so it will need more wires (braid into one) to make it feel more substantial instead of feeling like hair thin fragile. Another option is the 'white' and black wires which are 1mm thick in diameter, the 'white' one is a silver plated copper wire, definitely audio grade and most importantly made in USA (I actually made one audio cable with it for my SE535 iem). The black one is oxygen free copper wire, made in Japan and audio grade as well. There will be another option for a clear wrapping material, which shows the copper color.  ;D

Now comes to the color, the .6mm wire is sky blue color, the 'white' wire actually have a hint of silver-ish look to it irl. The black wire, same as the pic, it's solid black. I see quite a few of you requesting for a grey cable and Hoff requested for a CMYK for quite awhile now. Sorry to say I don't have them in hand now, but I will try to find them from different sources, and if they don't pass, I won't offer them. As usual, quality comes first, also some wires are really not suitable for braiding as they don't hold their shape very well (I've dumped more than 60m of wires atm). I actually found a source that offers quite many colors, I will try to buy some and try it out and update here in near future. Currently I still haven't see a very accurate magenta color wire, they have translucent red and a 456gt kind of pink.  :(

As for braiding options, there are 3 options for 4-wire braid (round, flat#1, flat#2). For 8-wire braid (square, round, flat#1, flat#2). Usually for thinner wires, I won't go for a 4-wire braid, it will look and feel pretty awful, not that it will break that easily, but it feels like it. For a slightly thicker wire, like the 1mm thick wire, we can do both and it will generally look more robust.

I will use the gold plated 'naked' connectors like shown in pic, but if you really want those with a plastic housing, I can source it for you. Currently only offers USB male to miniUSB male. I can't seem to find fancy color heat shrinks, good quality ones generally comes in black, white, clear, red and blue. 

Pricing. At this point, I can't give you a solid answer, but I can set a rough base price of US$10 for 1ft of the sky blue cable (as shown in pics above), and everything else add onto that price. The USA and Japan made wires are a little more pricey, but they are better in terms of audio quality but totally overkill as a keyboard cable. *that is estimated price, not final price

Shipping. I will use registered mail with tracking most probably and that will be about US$10 depends on where you live on earth.

Phew, that's super long :rolleyes:
Most probably I will start offering the cables in late November, my final exam is coming pretty soon so I have to prepare for that.
Keep in mind that cables are made to order, so you'll definitely have to wait for it.
Those points that I stated above are not solid yet, so don't quote me on that, I can't promise you anything atm.

Thanks for reading all that  :thumb:

-Update 2 (17/10/15)

Here is an update.

Here will be my logo (most probably), hope it's not too shabby

A kind friend helped me a lot on getting this done, I really suck at PS  :-[

I figured out the shipping, asia will be $6USD and rest of the world it's $10USD. I will be shipping them with bubble mailer and the shipping is registered post with tracking. It will take 4-10 days for asia and 6-11 days for other countries. *subject to change depend on post office

I will explain a little bit about those braiding that I'm offering.
- 4 wire braid
   -for thicker wires, e.g. 1mm thickness wires
   -type of braid available ( round, flat#1, flat#2 )

- 8 wire braid
  -for thick and thin wires, e.g. .6mm thickness wires
  -type of braid available ( round, flat#1, flat#2, square)

1. 8 wire round braid
2. 8 wire flat#1
3. 4 wire round braid (Silver plated copper)
4. 4 wire round braid (copper)

8 wire flat#2

Basically the braid pattern are the same on both the 4 wires and 8 wires braid, but they have a different look to it.

Colors that I will be offering,
-0.6mm
 - sky blue
 - will probably offer them IF they are good, waiting stock to try (black, white, grey, clear, red, translucent red, orange, yellow, light purple, blue, light blue, light green, pink, brown) *sorry no cyan and magenta

-1mm
 - clear silver plated copper
 - clear copper
 - black copper

Pricing, *subject to change
Base price (base price includes 1 x gold plated USB A male + 1 x gold plated miniUSB male)

- 0.6mm $10USD for 1ft, every additional ft is $2USD
  e.g. 4ft cable will be $10 + (3 x $2) = $16

- 1mm (listed price is for 4 wire braid, 8 wire braid is double of the listed price, expensive because it's real audio grade and imported from the states)

-copper $15USD for 1ft, every additional ft is $4USD
  -silver plated copper $16 for 1ft, every additional ft is $5USD

the length is hand measured and measured before braiding, after braiding it will be a little bit shorter, just a little bit  ;D

Hope this update helps  ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2021, 02:36:25 by CalvinXC »
B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline ntw

Re: [IC] Custom Braided USB cables
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 01:56:46 »
i'd let you bread my hair
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 02:15:15 »
i'd let you bread my hair

I'll butter you up any time ;)

More importantly though, the cables look fantastic! I'd be interested in some, maybe a simple grey braid.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 02:18:35 »
Wanted it then.  Want it now.  :p

Offline ntitco1

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 02:39:03 »
Count me in!!! A blue and a grey maybe (btw do u have grey? :p)

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 03:28:10 »
Definitely count me in! I love the exposed USB terminations too. Looks very, very good! Definitely sign me up for one!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 04:33:46 »
Count me in ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 05:35:38 »
You know I'm interested in this.  ;) 

Especially if you can make a CMYK braid.  :-*

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 05:56:25 »
You know I'm interested in this.  ;) 

Especially if you can make a CMYK braid.  :-*

+1 for CMYK

I need a pink and purple braid, too.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 06:01:38 »
I wouldn't mind getting one too, mainly would want a white/lite grey, but if crazy ones are optional a rainbow one would be awesome :p
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 06:08:00 »
Definitely in for at least one cable, maybe two once I have details/colors.

Offline just66in

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:00:38 »
OMG who wouldn't want this? Count me in for at least 2 (be it single or multi colour availability). 

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:47:42 »

I will list out stuff that I can get my hands on right now and explain a little bit of what I'm offering now.

Currently I will offer 2 types of wires, one is the sky blue one, it's about .6mm in thickness, so it will need more wires (braid into one) to make it feel more substantial instead of feeling like hair thin fragile. Another option is the 'white' and black wires which are 1mm thick in diameter, the 'white' one is a silver plated copper wire, definitely audio grade and most importantly made in USA (I actually made one audio cable with it for my SE535 iem). The black one is oxygen free copper wire, made in Japan and audio grade as well. There will be another option for a clear wrapping material, which shows the copper color.  ;D

Now comes to the color, the .6mm wire is sky blue color, the 'white' wire actually have a hint of silver-ish look to it irl. The black wire, same as the pic, it's solid black. I see quite a few of you requesting for a grey cable and Hoff requested for a CMYK for quite awhile now. Sorry to say I don't have them in hand now, but I will try to find them from different sources, and if they don't pass, I won't offer them. As usual, quality comes first, also some wires are really not suitable for braiding as they don't hold their shape very well (I've dumped more than 60m of wires atm). I actually found a source that offers quite many colors, I will try to buy some and try it out and update here in near future. Currently I still haven't see a very accurate magenta color wire, they have translucent red and a 456gt kind of pink.  :(

As for braiding options, there are 3 options for 4-wire braid (round, flat#1, flat#2). For 8-wire braid (square, round, flat#1, flat#2). Usually for thinner wires, I won't go for a 4-wire braid, it will look and feel pretty awful, not that it will break that easily, but it feels like it. For a slightly thicker wire, like the 1mm thick wire, we can do both and it will generally look more robust.

I will use the gold plated 'naked' connectors like shown in pic, but if you really want those with a plastic housing, I can source it for you. Currently only offers USB male to miniUSB male. I can't seem to find fancy color heat shrinks, good quality ones generally comes in black, white, clear, red and blue. 

Pricing. At this point, I can't give you a solid answer, but I can set a rough base price of US$10 for 1ft of the sky blue cable (as shown in pics above), and everything else add onto that price. The USA and Japan made wires are a little more pricey, but they are better in terms of audio quality but totally overkill as a keyboard cable. *that is estimated price, not final price

Shipping. I will use registered mail with tracking most probably and that will be about US$10 depends on where you live on earth.

Most probably I will start offering the cables in late November, my final exam is coming pretty soon so I have to prepare for that.
Keep in mind that cables are made to order, so you'll definitely have to wait for it.
Those points that I stated above are not solid yet, so don't quote me on that, I can't promise you anything atm.

B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline ntitco1

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 09:23:11 »
Thank you for all that information ^.^

Btw are images #1 and #2 in OP respectively flat #1, #2 ?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 09:30:20 »
Since you're in Malaysia, could you throw one in with the Jane?  ^-^

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 09:32:38 »
I'm all for this idea. These look really great. I know right now it might not be possible, buy braided CMYK is like  :eek:

Shipping from Malaysia might be a bit costly tho. Those international shipping prices are no laughing matter.  :'(
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 10:27:55 »
Thank you for all that information ^.^

Btw are images #1 and #2 in OP respectively flat #1, #2 ?

Thanks for reminding, I will update that later.  ;)

If the time allows, I'm not sure when will Jane be shipping out, haven't talk to Yuktsi about that. If not mistaken, your keyboard will be assembled by YongJK right? Most probably I'll start this end of November, if your board is still with Yong at that time, I can ship to him and pile it together.  :thumb:

I'm all for this idea. These look really great. I know right now it might not be possible, buy braided CMYK is like  :eek:

Shipping from Malaysia might be a bit costly tho. Those international shipping prices are no laughing matter.  :'(
The wire I saw looks like 456gt kinda pink in the pic, I'll order some to see irl.
I just checked the rate few days ago, it's not too bad for registered mail with tracking. The cable itself gonna be pretty light, not some fat heavy cables, so the shipping will be at least cheaper than the cable itself. I will get some bubble mailer, they are quite cheap if buy in bulk.  :D
B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 10:30:17 »
If the time allows, I'm not sure when will Jane be shipping out, haven't talk to Yuktsi about that. If not mistaken, your keyboard will be assembled by YongJK right? Most probably I'll start this end of November, if your board is still with Yong at that time, I can ship to him and pile it together.  :thumb:

I think it actually still will be there! I'm ordering Zealios and will send them to him, so he may not get to assembling the board until the end of the month.

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 22:49:17 »
Yah im in. Ill charge them to my work. I always need USB cables.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 22:52:40 »
Damn that black one is gorgeous. Would totally be interested in one!
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 00:42:04 »
BUT WILL IT COIL!? In all seriousness though, these look dopeaf! Interested... :thumb:

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 03:18:59 »

For cool colored heatshrink, have you heard of mdpc? They do some pretty nice looking psu cable sleeves and heatshrink.

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 04:07:14 »
While no grey is unfortunate, I'd love either a black or blue one! The naked connectors are really nice too!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 04:14:36 »
I'm not sure how much my opinon is worth since i'm not sure i'd actually purchase one but i'd ****ing love one of your cables. i think they're absolutely gorgeous.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline icyskyz

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 06:02:12 »
That is some really nice custom work there! Count me in for one!
My collections - flickr | HWS Keyng Collector |

Offline potatowire

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 07:57:30 »
These look awesome! I'd also love to know more about the SE535 cords you've been making. I wanted to make my own, but I couldn't find MMCX connectors I liked.

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 08:21:52 »
Good IC. I think I'll take black one for black Jane  :p

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 18:14:34 »
Reeeeally nice. The gold exposed connectors, the minimal shrink, the blue is lovely.

What I would like to know is if the join between the two is durable? Like how will it stand up to movement left and right close to the connector?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Den441

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 23:46:59 »
Nice to see something new and unique pop up in the cable department. I would love to see some more colors and examples. Definitely interested.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 00:28:06 »
Nice, I may be in when the GB pops up.

Offline Sneef

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 02:03:32 »
I would definitely be in for one, but I'm wondering if it is possible to have a transparent sleeving on the braided cable? I have pets that love to chew on cables and I'm worried that they would tear these apart.  :(

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 02:54:13 »
Yah im in. Ill charge them to my work. I always need USB cables.

I think it actually still will be there! I'm ordering Zealios and will send them to him, so he may not get to assembling the board until the end of the month.
Hopefully it will be on time.

Damn that black one is gorgeous. Would totally be interested in one!
Thanks, but that wire is on the pricey side, so I probably won't stock them. But if there is a demand for it, I will make it happen.
I'm still looking for more affordable option.

BUT WILL IT COIL!? In all seriousness though, these look dopeaf! Interested... :thumb:
Nope, none of them are pvc material on the outside. Thanks for your interest.

For cool colored heatshrink, have you heard of mdpc? They do some pretty nice looking psu cable sleeves and heatshrink.
Yup, they are pretty famous in that. Currently they are not available if not mistaken, it says they will be back on end of October. If it's available, I will check on the price again.  :D

While no grey is unfortunate, I'd love either a black or blue one! The naked connectors are really nice too!
I'm working on finding more colors. Thanks for the compliment  :thumb:

I'm not sure how much my opinon is worth since i'm not sure i'd actually purchase one but i'd ****ing love one of your cables. i think they're absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks for the compliment  ;)

B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline ika

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 03:21:13 »
You can get custom printed heatshrink if that is something you would be interested in. For ex:
https://www.wirecare.com/heatshrink-printing-step1.asp

I've no idea the quality or what it looks like but if you plan on doing this for a while it's not a terrible idea to get your name out there. If you're into the headphones community (sounds like you are) see: DHC, Moon Audio, etc.

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 03:27:54 »
These look awesome! I'd also love to know more about the SE535 cords you've been making. I wanted to make my own, but I couldn't find MMCX connectors I liked.
Made it quite some time ago and I used a hair dryer for the heat shrinks  :)) (well, now I use a proper heat gun)

Made with Eidolic connectors by Double helix cables, most of their stuff are really premium. I saw something similar on Oyaide online store, but shipping to US will be quite expensive I guess. I've also tried some cheap ones that looks like stock, works great if you secure it well. Hope that helps  ;)

That is some really nice custom work there! Count me in for one!
Thanks for the compliment.  :D

Good IC. I think I'll take black one for black Jane  :p
Thanks for the compliment. :D

Reeeeally nice. The gold exposed connectors, the minimal shrink, the blue is lovely.

What I would like to know is if the join between the two is durable? Like how will it stand up to movement left and right close to the connector?
Thanks for the compliment.
I'm not really sure which part you're referring to. The housing itself is pretty hard to open once they are snapped together, and I secured the solder joint with hot glue. The heat shrink will act as strain relief so it's pretty safe. Still it's not made for heavy abuse as the wires are not as thick (treat the cable as part of your keyboard  :))).

Nice to see something new and unique pop up in the cable department. I would love to see some more colors and examples. Definitely interested.
I'm working on that. Thanks for the compliment.  :thumb:

Nice, I may be in when the GB pops up.
Technically this is not a GB, but an IC and to collect info so that I'm prepared when I start offering them.
I'm not sure if this violate the IC rules but I don't remember any rules that says an IC must be for a GB.  :)

I would definitely be in for one, but I'm wondering if it is possible to have a transparent sleeving on the braided cable? I have pets that love to chew on cables and I'm worried that they would tear these apart.  :(
I can add a layer of flexible heat shrink, but it will still reduce the flexibility of the cable and i'm not sure how much it can do to protect it from your pet. A clear cable sleeve will somehow cover up the beauty of these cables  :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 03:30:49 by CalvinXC »
B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline ntitco1

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 03:36:53 »

Show Image

Hm... Compare w/ the blue sky ones, is it just the difference between 4 and 8-wires or that flat actually looks more solid than round braiding?

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 03:37:40 »
You can get custom printed heatshrink if that is something you would be interested in. For ex:
https://www.wirecare.com/heatshrink-printing-step1.asp

I've no idea the quality or what it looks like but if you plan on doing this for a while it's not a terrible idea to get your name out there. If you're into the headphones community (sounds like you are) see: DHC, Moon Audio, etc.
I will take a look into that, currently a friend is helping me to design my own logo and finalizing the name.
Yup, those company makes awesome cables but they are really 'huge' now in the audiophile community and they even custom made their own wires.  :eek:
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to make it.  ;)
B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 03:47:44 »

Show Image

Hm... Compare w/ the blue sky ones, is it just the difference between 4 and 8-wires or that flat actually looks more solid than round braiding?
This white one is the same as the one in the first post, just different braid.
The sky blue one is about .6mm on every single wire, so I had to use 8 wires, if not it will looks and feel really fragile. The white and black ones are about 1mm thick per wire, so a 4 wire braid is good enough. The braid is more about the aesthetic and how compact you want it to be. (all the effort just to make your keyboard looks prettier)
B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline Den441

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 17:47:12 »
I also think it'd be cool if you could add Electroluminescent wire to the usb braid somehow. If you connected the power inverter on the end with the USB connection you could hide the inverter behind your computer. I don't know, just throwing another idea out there for the future.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 19:17:59 »
I'd be down for a black one :).

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 21:57:54 »
Very cool looking cables, I'd be interested in a cable or two depending on the price. I've been spending too much money on keyboards lately haha.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 08:59:10 »
Interested in seeing what colors you end up offering. I might be the only one, but I would like to see the standard USB wire colors of black/white/red/green. Especially if the exposed terminations would allow for probe access (debugging, etc.). But I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 14:55:22 »
I know right now it might not be possible, buy braided CMYK is like  :eek:

^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

I just want to be like Binge...   :-*

DSC01985 by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 21:56:18 »
Interested in seeing what colors you end up offering. I might be the only one, but I would like to see the standard USB wire colors of black/white/red/green. Especially if the exposed terminations would allow for probe access (debugging, etc.). But I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Fvck NO, I'll sign up for two of them BUT they need to be at least 2M in length that would be 6.56 Feet ( 78.7 inches ) in your US style of measurements.

Offline Frigid

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:26:08 »
Looks awesome, I hope a GB comes around

Offline nevin

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 14:42:44 »
Very nice.

Hoffman, is that a grado headphone cable i see in the photo? I love the ones i have.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 17:44:02 »
Hoffman, is that a grado headphone cable i see in the photo? I love the ones i have.

Quite possibly.  Wouldn't be my headphones though.  ;)  Those would either be Binge's or CPTBadAss' cans.  :)  I took that picture at the first KeyCon and those two guys had their stuff on the same table, so I'm not sure whose it would be. :thumb:

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 17:47:28 »
I like the minimalist look, definitely interested. If we could do a group buy or somehow pool shipping that would be awesome as well.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 07:40:32 »
I also think it'd be cool if you could add Electroluminescent wire to the usb braid somehow. If you connected the power inverter on the end with the USB connection you could hide the inverter behind your computer. I don't know, just throwing another idea out there for the future.
That's pretty hard to do, not plan doing it yet atm, will see if it's doable in the future  :thumb:

I'd be down for a black one :).
Thanks for your interest.

Very cool looking cables, I'd be interested in a cable or two depending on the price. I've been spending too much money on keyboards lately haha.

Ordered new batch of wires to test out the quality, hopefully all good. Will arrive in about a week  ;)

I know right now it might not be possible, buy braided CMYK is like  :eek:

^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

I just want to be like Binge...   :-*

Show Image

DSC01985 by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr
Working on it, new batch of wires will be here in about a week. Still can't find exact cyan and magenta color wires  :(
B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 07:48:02 »

Fvck NO, I'll sign up for two of them BUT they need to be at least 2M in length that would be 6.56 Feet ( 78.7 inches ) in your US style of measurements.
Doable, just long cables will take more patience to braid  :D

Very nice.

I like the minimalist look, definitely interested. If we could do a group buy or somehow pool shipping that would be awesome as well.
I think a GB is not really necessary. If not mistaken, registered post with tracking is not that expensive since the cables are pretty light.

Not sure if IC thread is made just for GB(s). Since all orders are 'bespoke', doing a GB won't help much but adding a crazy long waiting time.

B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 15:07:22 »

Doable, just long cables will take more patience to braid  :D

Very nice.

I think a GB is not really necessary. If not mistaken, registered post with tracking is not that expensive since the cables are pretty light.

Not sure if IC thread is made just for GB(s). Since all orders are 'bespoke', doing a GB won't help much but adding a crazy long waiting time.

It'd probably be in your best interest to open a website shop where you could show options and just make the cables as the orders come in or just have a dedicated sales thread to sale batches of wires that you make. You could do the opposite as well but no matter what I'm interested still. Once I finally get my Hyperfuse set I'll need a cable to match. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5