Author Topic: Flashing 356mini  (Read 1923 times)

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
Flashing 356mini
« on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 12:47:25 »
Does anyone have any experience with flashing a 356mini? This is one of the few OTD's that utilize a USB - PS/2 cable, and the ATMega controller. I'm using a USB-mini to USB -> USB-PS/2 Converter. When I plug the board into the computer (direectly into the PS/2 slot), the Caps lock LED flashes briefly. No keys register in windows.

I'm thinking I need to reflash the layout onto the board, but not sure how to start doing that. Does anyone know more about this?
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2016, 12:54:05 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Tactile

Re: Flashing 356mini
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 15:45:12 »
Try turning the computer off, plugging the keyboard in, then turning the computer on.
REΛLFORCE

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 17:03:38 »
USB -> USB may not work, I'm not sure how the USB -> PS/2 cable I have is wired. I'm not familiar with the specifics though -- I can try a direct USB -> USB to a PS/2 converter when I'm at work tomorrow. Interestingly I've never actually tried that...

I've been meaning to flash mine for a while now and have compiled a big pile of firmware and utilities to sort through. Are you assembling it from scratch? If so you will need to flash the fuse settings for the controller as well as flash the firmware (which contains the hardcoded layout).

I can get you some firmware files I have that I have not personally tested if you'd like, but I can't take any responsibility for how well they do/do not work and/or cause damage.

Do you know if it's a V1 or V2 board?

EDIT: Not sure if I have a USB -> PS/2 converter, so that might explain why I haven't tried it..
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2016, 17:40:46 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 22:06:32 »
USB -> USB may not work, I'm not sure how the USB -> PS/2 cable I have is wired. I'm not familiar with the specifics though -- I can try a direct USB -> USB to a PS/2 converter when I'm at work tomorrow. Interestingly I've never actually tried that...

I've been meaning to flash mine for a while now and have compiled a big pile of firmware and utilities to sort through. Are you assembling it from scratch? If so you will need to flash the fuse settings for the controller as well as flash the firmware (which contains the hardcoded layout).

I can get you some firmware files I have that I have not personally tested if you'd like, but I can't take any responsibility for how well they do/do not work and/or cause damage.

Do you know if it's a V1 or V2 board?

EDIT: Not sure if I have a USB -> PS/2 converter, so that might explain why I haven't tried it..

I'm not assembling it from scratch. Presumably, it was flashed at one point.

This is a V2 board.
Mmm... machined aluminum