Author Topic: [IC] VE.A  (Read 239209 times)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] VE.A
« Reply #900 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:27:09 »
Sold a bunch of stuff today to be able to participate in the drop....aaaaaand Paypal froze the funds for 21 days because it's "inconsistent with my account activity"...time to go back to the drawing board to figure out how I'm going to be able to pay for the board.

that is dumb.  Really hate that about paypal.  Holding funds is stupid just makes them more money

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #901 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:32:38 »
PCB comes presoldered correct? We only have to solder on the swtiches?

Yes, plus in-switch LEDs if you want.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Vergo type.T / alpetit / alpetit II / VE.A with Vergo type.T-II

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #902 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:34:49 »
Wonder how would the lighting looks with Zealios. The switches have clear housing, which will have tons of RGB bleeding. Might have to consider going back to cherry... D: or just regular Gaterons.

This is built with gaterons, check it out.

http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?mid=board_Lsno50&document_srl=3633551
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #903 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:38:07 »
Sold a bunch of stuff today to be able to participate in the drop....aaaaaand Paypal froze the funds for 21 days because it's "inconsistent with my account activity"...time to go back to the drawing board to figure out how I'm going to be able to pay for the board.

that is dumb.  Really hate that about paypal.  Holding funds is stupid just makes them more money

Man, I was right, this is THE reason why I went for Massdrop.
If pp holds my funds, that make me to explain many words, including that "I'm no scammer. Please believe me."
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #904 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:43:22 »

Man, I was right, this is THE reason why I went for Massdrop.
If pp holds my funds, that make me to explain many words, including that "I'm no scammer. Please believe me."

Exactly why I don't blame you for going the massdrop route. Takes some of the business stress off of your shoulders. I'll find a way to get in, don't worry!  :thumb:
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #905 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:43:30 »
Hey look!

Yanbo just updated case color option samples shot.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ve-a
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #906 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:54:47 »
That's the point that I'd realize that fate didn't want me to have it.   You can't fight fate - but kudos to you for trying

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Offline Azzures

• ༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つ
« Reply #907 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 22:25:43 »
Wonder how would the lighting looks with Zealios. The switches have clear housing, which will have tons of RGB bleeding. Might have to consider going back to cherry... D: or just regular Gaterons.

This is built with gaterons, check it out.

http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?mid=board_Lsno50&document_srl=3633551

That is beautiful.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 15:08:32 by Azzures »

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #908 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 00:58:25 »
bump,

Added BootmapperClient Mac/Windows support feature.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline Data

« Reply #909 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 06:18:43 »

Paypal is basically the devil.

... if the devil was a semi-legal financial transactions broker.

Honestly, there is so much fraud on Paypal that the only reason they're still in business is that they aren't technically a bank so they can't be held to the same high standards.  In fact, they're not held to any standards at all, which is why they can get away with these knee-jerk policies, heuristics-based "security", and mishandling customers' money in ways that are basically illegal.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #910 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 07:55:25 »
Not devil, I would rather say necessary evil.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #911 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:46:58 »
bump,

Thanks Zefyr. This is unbelievable. One of the most responsive GB's for sure.

Added left hand space support AND Bootmapperclient support to address some community feedback within days. No way I'm missing VE.A.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #912 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:53:58 »
any way to get an option for an aluminium plate?  :confused: Or is that something that wouldn't be possible at this point  :thumb:
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #913 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:59:26 »
any way to get an option for an aluminium plate?  :confused: Or is that something that wouldn't be possible at this point  :thumb:

Stuff like this infuriates me. The GB is already up man, may people have ordered. Asking this is dumb.

Oh yea do you think you could also change every single detail about the kit for me, please? Like can we have rainbow anodization too? How about Topre support?
 :rolleyes:

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #914 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:03:10 »

Stuff like this infuriates me. The GB is already up man, may people have ordered. Asking this is dumb.

Oh yea do you think you could also change every single detail about the kit for me, please? Like can we have rainbow anodization too? How about Topre support?
 :rolleyes:

If this infuriates you, I really do wish you well in this lifetime.

I'm fully aware that there was an [IC] Phase and suggestions were taken there. There is no harm (other than those with your level of intolerance) in asking. If it can be done with little effort, I know zefyr would do his best to accommodate those interested. (I'm certain its more than just me as well). Furthermore, he has surprisingly still been able to accommodate alot of requests up to this point

So roll back your neck beard and find something else to burst a nerve on.  :thumb:

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #915 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:09:24 »
So roll back your neck beard and find something else to burst a nerve on.  :thumb:

Worst comeback ever.

Ill stop now, I promise.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #916 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:24:21 »

Wut.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #917 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:35:25 »
Hmm somehow I didn't notice the plate material. I didn't like tactile switches as much on my previous steel plate board but I might give it another try.  Sucks a little bit that the plate doesn't allow switch top removal.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #918 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:37:35 »
I'm in!
No matter if the customs bill will add a bunch more to the price, this board is way too awesome to miss out.

The work you have put in this definitely doesn't go unnoticed zefyr!
This is a true masterpiece of keyboard history to go down. <3

bump,

Thanks Zefyr. This is unbelievable. One of the most responsive GB's for sure.

Added left hand space support AND Bootmapperclient support to address some community feedback within days. No way I'm missing VE.A.

Can someone enlighten me what left hand space support is about pls?
Haven't been as active the last few days unfortunately.

Is it basically a mirrored version of the current space bar config? O=
Has this been confirmed?

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #919 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:39:42 »
The old PCB only had the space on the right hand. On the left hand, there was 2 keys.

However, to support some of us left-hand spacebar users, zefyr's team modified the PCB to allow for left hand space as well.

AFAIK, Zefyr has stated that this updated PCB will be included in the current Drop.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #920 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:41:29 »
The old PCB only had the space on the right hand. On the left hand, there was 2 keys.

However, to support some of us left-hand spacebar users, zefyr's team modified the PCB to allow for left hand space as well.

AFAIK, Zefyr has stated that this updated PCB will be included in the current Drop.
If there is no problem with it it will be included. No guarantee yet.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
[IC] VE.A
« Reply #921 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:46:05 »
Thx for clearing that up guys!

Really hoping left hand space support makes it.
(space lefty club too over here)

If not we can still opt on using one of the two keys on the left of space tho.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #922 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:58:24 »

You got that wrong.
VE.A is programmable, use can remap any key to space. (by default, there's space in left and right, there's two of them)
The issue was position of left space key. Those who types space with left thumb, position of left space and fn key is messed up a little. So I decided to make it swappable.
Current version supports only Space-Fn layout. I'll make it swappable to Fn-Space order.
And I am testing it. No guarantee of including it in this GB. Test takes time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:05:27 by zefyr »
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
[IC] VE.A
« Reply #923 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:06:28 »

You got that wrong.
VE.A is programmable, use can remap any key to space.
The issue was positionof left space key. Those who types space with left thumb, position of left space and fn key is messed up a little. So I decided to make it swappable.
Current version suooprts only Space-Fn layout. I'll make it swappable to Fn-Space order.

Thx zefyr!

Would be sweet if this makes it in time for the gb, it's probably a big thing for many including myself.

Don't put too much stress on yourself tho pls, you already outdid yourself.
This is next lvl endgame stuff! :)

Offline Data

« Reply #924 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:08:12 »

You got that wrong.
VE.A is programmable, use can remap any key to space. (by default, there's space in left and right, there's two of them)
The issue was position of left space key. Those who types space with left thumb, position of left space and fn key is messed up a little. So I decided to make it swappable.
Current version supports only Space-Fn layout. I'll make it swappable to Fn-Space order.

Whatever happens, thanks for trying it.  But please let us know if you're able to get it working.  I will commit to buy as soon as you give us the green light.

Assuming the PCB works 100%, what do you have in mind for plates?  Have we gotten that far yet?

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #925 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:10:58 »
PCB comes presoldered correct? We only have to solder on the swtiches?

Yes, plus in-switch LEDs if you want.

ok thanks. What size LED do you recommend?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #926 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:24:16 »

Worst comeback ever.

Ill stop now, I promise.

And needless.  To resort to such is pretty bad.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #927 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:30:42 »

Worst comeback ever.

Ill stop now, I promise.

And needless.  To resort to such is pretty bad.

Wut.

Worst comeback ever.

Ill stop now, I promise.

:))

Hmm somehow I didn't notice the plate material. I didn't like tactile switches as much on my previous steel plate board but I might give it another try.  Sucks a little bit that the plate doesn't allow switch top removal.

I feel the same way, I'm certain it'd be pretty difficult to get an aluminum plate option at this point in time, as mentioned~ but still hoping the stars will align ova here  :thumb:

EDIT: btw Silver looks great ~ thank you for getting those shots for us, Zef.

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:32:34 by KetchyKech »

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #928 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:31:41 »

You got that wrong.

Whatever happens, thanks for trying it.  But please let us know if you're able to get it working.  I will commit to buy as soon as you give us the green light.

Assuming the PCB works 100%, what do you have in mind for plates?  Have we gotten that far yet?

I also made universal plate for it already. The key layout already checked, it's fine all fit.
Testing is what remains, but... I don't think I have enough time... Man I'm soldering my ass off haha.
there's so many options and I cannot test all options. I only can emulate with tweezers, but that's not 100% testing.
I use to test at least 1 week for sure. but as you see, I don't have enough time to do that.
Just... I'll try. and let you all know it's done before Drop ends.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline Data

« Reply #929 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:33:43 »
I also made universal plate for it already. The key layout already checked, it's fine all fit.
Testing is what remains, but... I don't think I have enough time... Man I'm soldering my ass off haha.
there's so many options and I cannot test all options. I only can emulate with tweezers, but that's not 100% testing.
I use to test at least 1 week for sure. but as you see, I don't have enough time to do that.

Oh, cool.  It's good to hear you already checked the fitment.   :thumb:

I know you're under a lot of pressure.  The extra effort is much appreciated.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #930 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:34:48 »

You got that wrong.

Thanks for your hard work on this, zefyr, and to all those helping you out. This board is amazing and the follow-ups during the drop are much appreciated.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #931 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:36:19 »

Negative :)
That could makes many people so confused who already in.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #932 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:36:49 »

Negative :)
That could makes many people so confused who already in.

I thought as much, thank you for the response!  :thumb:

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #933 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:02:45 »
I joined the drop.  This is almost exactly what I was looking for.  One question for the tenting kit.  Is the tenting kit locked to black as in the picture on MD, or will it match the color of the keyboard case?  Thanks.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #934 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:40:45 »
Just to be clear, the plate is steel in this group buy correct?
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #935 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:46:02 »

Yeah. "STS" = "stainless steel."

Took me an hour or so before I realized what "STS" stood for...

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #936 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:50:04 »

Awesome thanks. Wasn't sure either ..

Sucks that I won't be able to use zealios on this :(
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #937 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:51:26 »

Since when does a stainless steel plate mean you can't use zealios?
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #938 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:56:14 »

he probably prefers an alu plate, but the switches will work as you are hinting.  I've tried linears with alu, and tactiles with steel.  Still worth using if you really like that style of switch :)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #939 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 15:15:44 »

Plate material is an area of consideration which, for many, is also dependent on the switch type as different materials change the feel and acoustics.
Stainless steel, for some, is entirely unusable for tactile switches.

Though I have to wonder if Zefyr is willing to offer the plate files as he will with the Alps plate and the first Vergo design.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #940 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 15:26:42 »

Plate material is an area of consideration which, for many, is also dependent on the switch type as different materials change the feel and acoustics.

Though I have to wonder if Zefyr is willing to offer the plate files as he will with the Alps plate and the first Vergo design.

Just for clarification, I'm well aware of the differences with linear and steel vs alu and tactile. I just find it silly to not just use what you like when there is not much of a quantifiable difference.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #941 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 15:56:22 »
Just for clarification, I'm well aware of the differences with linear and steel vs alu and tactile. I just find it silly to not just use what you like when there is not much of a quantifiable difference.
I think its the fact that its a 400 dollar keyboard, so people really want to get it perfect. That small difference is still a difference from their ideal keyboard.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #942 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:00:25 »
I think its the fact that its a 400 dollar keyboard, so people really want to get it perfect. That small difference is still a difference from their ideal keyboard.
While that's true you'll never have your ideal board unless you make it from scratch.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #943 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:09:52 »
While that's true you'll never have your ideal board unless you make it from scratch.
Yeah, that's true. I don't have the skill or patience for that though haha.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #944 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 18:30:23 »
More

Perhaps you aren't as sensitive to such factors which is why you find them trivial.
However, I find that I'm more attentive to such things so from personal experience I can sympathize with such a notion that one would refrain entirely from certain pairings of switches and materials.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #945 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 18:34:58 »
More

Perhaps you aren't as sensitive to such factors which is why you find them trivial.
However, I find that I'm more attentive to such things so from personal experience I can sympathize with such a notion that one would refrain entirely from certain pairings of switches and materials.
This sounds like it belongs on r/Iamverysmart

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #946 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 18:39:47 »
More

If that's what being smart means then I would very much like to be dumb.
Being sensitive to this **** means I have to waste my money on expensive keyboards and still not be satisfied with the end result.
I envy those who don't care for the construction of their boards.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #947 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 18:46:14 »
More

Being sensitive to this **** means I have to waste my money on expensive keyboards and still not be satisfied with the end result.
Why would you buy something if you know you're not gonna be satisfied?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #948 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 18:50:59 »
More

Why would you buy something if you know you're not gonna be satisfied?

Because it's either that or rubber domes.

It's like asking "Why vote if you aren't satisfied with any party?"
It's because any other option would be even more unacceptable and I would only be more miserable for it.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #949 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 18:55:47 »
I don't know if the two things are comparable. You can aquire the means to make your own board. Might have some trouble setting up your own government.