Author Topic: Trackball Lube?  (Read 8091 times)

Offline eyesnine

Trackball Lube?
« on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 19:30:02 »
So, I now have a couple of trackballs with roller + bearing mechanisms (not like the MS Trackball Explorer, which is just bearings, no rollers). I have an Itac Mouse Trak Industrial, and an Evergreen XL3.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried lubing their trackball bearings, and what the results have been. I found some info from an arcade trackball expert who recommended this stuff called Kroil (or Aerokroil - which is the same thing in aerosol form). So, I found a pretty good price on some Kroil and gave it a shot. I already had some 3 in One Silicone Spray, so I used that as a comparison to the Kroil.

The 3 in One Silicone Spray is remarkably better than the Kroil. I guess I just wasted money on that Kroil stuff, but maybe it will come in handy for something else.

That's not to say that Kroil doesn't work. It definitely makes a difference. But, 3 in One Silicone Spray takes things to another level. So, if you read the same info from the same arcade trackball expert I did, take it with a grain of salt, and keep in mind that there is at least one testimonial here for 3 in One Silicone Spray over Kroil (and, IMHO, it isn't even a close comparison). I highly recommend lubing up your bearings if you've got roller + bearing mechanisms on your trackball, and the 3 in One Silicone Spray works wonders.

I've only be using the 3 in One for a few weeks now, but it still spins freely with minimal friction, in fact it spins better now than before since the bearings have been broken in a little more. I guess time will tell how the 3 in One holds up, and how often it needs re applying.

So, my question is, has anyone else tried lubing their balls? And, if so, what makes them the most slippery?

Offline Symmetry

Trackball Lube?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 15:18:26 »
I imagine a small tube of bearing grease, available at auto part stores, would work wonders. Pop out the bearings, get them lubed up, and stick them back in - they'll roll like never before, if my guess is correct.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline eyesnine

Trackball Lube?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 17:52:17 »
I believe that bearing grease is actually really bad for trackball bearings.

Bearing grease is meant more for heavy machinery, and is too thick for small, low rpm bearings like those on a trackball.

I forgot that CST uses delrin bearings, how do those compare to traditional ball bearings?

Offline eyesnine

Trackball Lube?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 17:56:23 »
Yeah, I was responding to the previous post. Though, that Miracle Wonder Oil does seem a lot like the Kroil that I tried.

On the other hand those delrin bearings seem like they might take oil better than my ball bearings.

I like to use my trackball Golden Tee style and shoot the cursor across the screen, (my shoot + catch technique is a work in progress, but getting better) with acceleration off and the speed of the cursor fairly slow, so I think that ball bearings work better for me.

Edit:

That CST doesn't really seem like my cup of tea, though I keep thinking it might be worth a try. It's like the trackball version of the HHKB Pro.

The delrin bearings I don't think I'd like as much, and the layout I don't like so much, though with those extra DIY buttons maybe I could make a thumb left click.

On the other hand, the laser sensor is very desirable - I was looking into replacing the optical sensors in my Mouse Trak, but I think that the IC needs to be swapped out as well, which is a PITA, and I'd probably F it up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 May 2012, 18:11:15 by eyesnine »

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
Trackball Lube?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 11:29:02 »
I had a Mouse-Trak, I tried to lube it after the motion got worn out and rough and it was a piece of crap in my book.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?