Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon R2  (Read 157569 times)

Offline Endeavour1934

Re: [IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #700 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 07:49:07 »

I often wonder if I'm the only one who prefers the handbag Capslock symbol.
I also prefer the handbag.

The down arrow is a bit confusing, even GMK screwed it up in Yuri (they made a 1.75 r3 up arrow and 1.75 r4 down arrow, but it was later fixed)  :))

Offline hansichen

« Reply #701 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 08:04:37 »
The down arrow has its origin in German Cherry keycaps and still today it's used on German keyboards. The handbag is mainly know from French boards and some other localisations. They are fairly rare on original boards. I guess it's just something where you develop a habit while usage.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #702 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 13:53:10 »

Me too!

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #703 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 15:44:10 »

The down arrow just doesn't do it for me, but the handbag isn't that great either.

The control cap that replaces the caps lock,  the num lock and scroll lock are always just text with icon mods. Why not just simply "caps lock" instead of the purse or down arrow?
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2018, 15:54:23 by wholypantalones »

Offline hansichen

« Reply #704 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 18:41:44 »
"Caps Lock" text wouldn't make any sense on an icon mod board. And it's too late anyway.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #705 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 22:53:24 »
"Caps Lock" text wouldn't make any sense on an icon mod board. And it's too late anyway.

Ditto. Between hbg and dnarw, prefer handbag but no change is fine.
Preference will be split anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sshimosawa

« Reply #706 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 02:36:43 »
I will spend the equivalent of 3x sets to get all of these ridic kits. This will break me. Cannot wait.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #707 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 07:30:52 »

You didn't even read my comment and you're just being dismissive.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #708 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 08:26:41 »
Interesting conversation which made me think more about the icons and their meaning. And i had to do some research about it and here is the result:
This is Caps Lock:

and this is Shift Lock:

Source is in German language: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feststelltaste

So it seems like the shift lock is the German standard. At least how its documented in Wikipedia pictures.

Anyway i prefer the Shift Lock because its clean and that why i am using it. This is my design choice.
IMG_5595 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr

The kits are locked but if the drop snowballs like the first GMK Carbon drop (which i don't believe will happen) i might consider to offer one extra kit with handbag caps lock keys and some other keys.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #709 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 12:22:02 »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #710 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 12:36:22 »
Alt Gr?

That's a possible key for such extra kit. However i did not promise it. I just said i consider it if the drop goes well. There are few kits which i would love to see happen but i did not included those because there are already too many kits available. So overall if the drop goes well i might consider to add those kits during the drop or afterwards as it happened with GMK Carbon R1. Again - there is no promise for this to happen.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 October 2018, 12:44:54 by T0mb3ry »

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #711 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 17:55:11 »
Update

Bone Icon extension kit
 - Added missing Control keys for Caps Lock replacement.
Show Image

I know the kits are locked. I know I’m way too late.

I somehow completely missed this icon kit, probably because I have no interest in bone. But after finally noticing it, I have to say I would be incredibly interested in an Icon extension in the carbon colorway.

It would be huge for me to use those icons for an Apple layout. I would use the diamond/meta icon for the Apple command key and the Alt icon for the Apple option key. (Yes, I know alt and option are not the same). The power icon would be great too.

This is the first GMK set since I joined where I’d be happy with the representation of the Apple bottom row.

Offline TastyNico

« Reply #712 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 16:36:53 »
I have really been out of the loop in terms of keyboard stuff for the last couple of months but I really can't wait until this drops.
Best colorway + best profile! I will definitely pick up a Carbon base kit and a NORDEUK kit. Maybe even a Novelty kit if my budget allows for it.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #713 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 18:05:35 »
012345 looking good  ;)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #714 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 23:42:59 »
Can you add Giorgio set? Shouldn't be much.

Offline ilouis_07

• Never Forget Your Origin
    • ILUMKB
« Reply #715 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 04:32:58 »
carbon is my life, i want it!

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #716 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 13:43:20 »
Definitely in, very interested in the r0 and r5

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #717 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:27:00 »
Some awesome renders from Oblotzky ;)

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:30:47 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #718 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:31:52 »
Some awesome renders from Oblotzky ;)
Show Image

Show Image

First one is my fav and my nose bleeds
Show Image

oh damn that bone/ivory looks sooooo good.

Did I miss something with that color option being offered in space cadet, or the LISP sub-legends got added to this buy, or is that just an imaginary thing to show off in the render and make us all thirsty af?
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #719 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:36:24 »
Did I miss something with that color option being offered in space cadet, or the LISP sub-legends got added to this buy, or is that just an imaginary thing to show off in the render and make us all thirsty af?

haha no its just Oblotzky's wild fantasies lol. Damn you Oblotzky!

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #720 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:41:32 »
That fantastic sonofab!tch...
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #721 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 18:20:56 »

That calls for kit nr 20! :p

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #722 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 19:20:04 »

I would kill for that Space Cadet Colorway.

My biggest gripe with GMK Space Cadet was that the non-standard F-row colors make it so I couldn't easily swap the space cadet alphas onto the mods from another GMK set. Now Oblotsky is just teasing with renders!  :eek:

Offline mik1

« Reply #723 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 23:06:57 »
Hi, just a practical question, does any design like this exist in all white on black with NorDe?

(Wider NorDe conversation here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97874)

Offline Atredl

« Reply #724 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 00:56:02 »
Hi, just a practical question, does any design like this exist in all white on black with NorDe?

Bud, I know you’re just trying to find a keyset but spamming a bunch of threads isn’t really the way to go about it.

For the record, white on black keysets exist but NorDe is going to be a real pain and a half. There might be an old keyboard with old cherry keys that has what you’re looking for but I don’t know where to find that.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #725 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 04:40:42 »

The closest you will get is the KBDfans BoW set, i am on my 3 year of waiting on a WoB set with a norde kit :(

your best chance ATM is to go with the bone base kit for a minimal look of carbon  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2018, 04:43:08 by RETURNISO »

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #726 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 04:43:01 »
Interesting conversation which made me think more about the icons and their meaning. And i had to do some research about it and here is the result:
This is Caps Lock:
Show Image

Anyway i prefer the Shift Lock because its clean and that why i am using it. This is my design choice.
Yup, I remember that cut arrow on caps lock on older spanish keyboards.

BTW, I also like the novelties on caps lock (sadly it's only available on the beezarre and bones kits), maybe that way I can finally try a winkeyless layout using caps lock as winkey.  :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #727 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 11:42:15 »
Is it too late to add a Hydro child kit?

Offline mimalik

« Reply #728 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 13:29:35 »

Dang!!! imagine them ivory mods with space cadet blue alphas.....habana habana. So glad that I went with both alphas in space cadet drop. R0/5 renders are amazing, they look very sleek and just right visually. The tall R0 makes the whole set pop. I never knew they existed, wonder why no one else use them in GMK drops.

Was planning on Ivory mods + Beezarre + Warning Signs kits, but now I will probably go for base set too. Now only if Carbon SA is dropped again, missed the boat on that one.

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #729 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 07:45:55 »

Dang!!! imagine them ivory mods with space cadet blue alphas.....habana habana. So glad that I went with both alphas in space cadet drop. R0/5 renders are amazing, they look very sleek and just right visually. The tall R0 makes the whole set pop. I never knew they existed, wonder why no one else use them in GMK drops.

Was planning on Ivory mods + Beezarre + Warning Signs kits, but now I will probably go for base set too. Now only if Carbon SA is dropped again, missed the boat on that one.

Very naice choice. I don't like the blue alphas so much, so its' going to be iovry mods + gray alphas for me. Glad we have the same idea :p

Offline jihadu

« Reply #730 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 08:19:16 »

The reason why it was not commonly used is because Cherry (and therefore GMK ) never made a 1.25 U r5 key mold and most modern boards use a 1.25 bottom row. Also R0 is pretty tall and not to everyone's liking. For example, Keyboard & Co used R5 for it's winkeyless bottom row, but not R0 for the function row

Plus there is the added inconvenience that R0 is too tal for the current GMK trays

Offline zzzaacchh

« Reply #731 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:53:39 »
So, this is dropping after Susuwatari?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #732 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 13:42:04 »
Some 012345 renders from Oblotzky ;)

Probably ;)

Offline asphyxia

• i'm lovely
    • Twitter
« Reply #733 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 15:48:10 »
This actually looks great, I never had a carbon set but for some reason I'm really interested in this one.
TGR 910 CE / Kmac Happy HHKB / LZ CLS H / Duck Eagle V2 / Poly Singa / TX65 / DC60

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #734 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 03:16:26 »
12344/2344 (Assembly kit features row 4 as bottom row) ortholinear boards.

So far that's it for the renders.

The pricing and MOQ are ready. Probably in the upcoming days/weeks there will be more information revealed.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #735 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 06:27:25 »
I would love to see a boneyard base set with boneyard alphas render.  ;D

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #736 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 11:11:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Probably ;)
Damn, if R0 really looks like that on 75% keyboards, it's going to make all my other GMK sets obsolete.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #737 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 11:30:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Probably ;)
Damn, if R0 really looks like that on 75% keyboards, it's going to make all my other GMK sets obsolete.

You got the point why i am going for R0. As i said previously: I love 75% layout but R1 for the function row on such layout looks weird. R0 separates it visually from the number row.

I would love to see a boneyard base set with boneyard alphas render.  ;D

Oblotzky will make one ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #738 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 15:59:00 »
Why the upgrade kit for R1 was dropped. I am sure it was previously discussed, but it was not able to find it.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #739 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 16:01:44 »
Why the upgrade kit for R1 was dropped. I am sure it was previously discussed, but it was not able to find it.

It was too expensive. How much expensive? Well if you add 30 bucks to the price of the upgrade kit you can get one of the base sets (with more keys and far better coverage than round 1). Once the drop goes live you can figure on the base kit price the price of the upgrade kit.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #740 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 16:16:27 »

It was too expensive. How much expensive? Well if you add 30 bucks to the price of the upgrade kit you can get one of the base sets (with more keys and far better coverage than round 1). Once the drop goes live you can figure on the base kit price the price of the upgrade kit.

It is totally understandable. The design is so great. You are pioneering GMK set design, one more time. Thank you for the hard work. I just hope my wallet would be not that thin by the time you drop this.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #741 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 17:10:21 »
It is totally understandable. The design is so great. You are pioneering GMK set design, one more time. Thank you for the hard work. I just hope my wallet would be not that thin by the time you drop this.

Thanks for the kind words but technically i am not pioneering but reviving vintage cherry rows. There are already GMK sets with r0 and r5. Here i am only introducing the r5 1.25u key plus the 2.25u and 2.75u spacebars. Carbon is popular and its the right thing to introduce these keys.

I hope the base kits will get enough units so those will become affordable for as many enthusiasts (not everyone is willing to cash out 100+ for small pieces for plastic  :)) ) as possible.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #742 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 18:02:19 »
Hey Tomb3ry, can you reveal at this point how much will be the wait for this to drop? 

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #743 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 21:51:08 »
Hey Tomb3ry, can you reveal at this point how much will be the wait for this to drop?

I would imagine the drop will start a few days after MT3 susuwatari ends.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #744 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 00:58:56 »

Unfortunately not. All i can say is, its dropping soon™.

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #745 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 08:32:33 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Probably ;)

You got the point why i am going for R0. As i said previously: I love 75% layout but R1 for the function row on such layout looks weird. R0 separates it visually from the number row.
I was always convinced by R0, not so much about R5. Thankfully I have GMK Carbon R1, so worst case I can still use 0-1-2-3-4-4.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #746 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 12:35:59 »
Update

Umka mods
 - Ivory is banned in the most countries and in order to prevent any suspicion by customs, Ivory mods has been renamed to Umka mods.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:05:28 by T0mb3ry »

Offline jihadu

« Reply #747 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:02:25 »
Update

Umka mods
 - Ivory is banned in EU and in order to prevent any suspicion by customs, Ivory mods has been renamed to Umka mods.
Show Image

Rofl

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #748 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:14:11 »
Update

Umka mods
 - Ivory is banned in EU and in order to prevent any suspicion by customs, Ivory mods has been renamed to Umka mods.
Show Image

Rofl

You can never be too careful ;) I wouldn't be surprised if someone in Germany that bought a Dolch set had to open the package at the customs office because Dolch is the German word for dagger, and knife imports are highly regulated.

In other news, just finished rendering all the kits as well. Stay tuned for drop.

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:59:50 by Oblotzky »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #749 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:29:04 »
Me like

Nice renders buddy. Appreciate your support ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2018, 13:31:29 by T0mb3ry »