Author Topic: I made 'Qwickly' layout because others were too much to learn.  (Read 10242 times)

Offline karmakaze

• Qwickly
Co-incidentally, I started exactly the same way the ASETGHNIOP layout/thread started. Only I used that as step 1 and kept going.

My main goal was to make something as good as Dvorak but easier to transition from/back with QWERTY. I ended up with 3 steps (and another follow-up tweak).
The results were surprisingly good. Close enough to Colemak for me to learn and use it instead.

The description and macOS/Windows files are in the Qwickly github repo along with comparative stats.

I've described the process in a blog post.

Here's what the final (untweaked) layout looks like.

And this one below has tweaked the FBV keys so cut/paste/undo shortcuts end up moved around but it's better than Colemak.
[It could be a bit better still shuffling HMK but I wasn't interested in the fastest, just easy to learn and comfortable.]

Appreciate any/all feedback. Also, I'm new here: hi everyone!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 20:27:48 by karmakaze »

Offline ASETNIOP

• ASETNIOP
Re: I made 'Qwickly' layout because others were too much to learn.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 12:26:35 »
Oh, neat! 

I encountered the same issues with the ED/DE pair that you described in your blog post, I'd say it was the most frustrating aspect so I can see why you made the additional move.

Now that you've gotten used to using ASETNIO(P/R) as home keys, I'd love to hear how my chorded creation ASETNIOP (see asetniop.com) feels for you - please give it a try!

Also - I like the name Qwickly!  Much catchier than ASETGHNIOP!

Offline karmakaze

• Qwickly
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 22:54:43 »
> I'd love to hear how my chorded creation ASETNIOP (see asetniop.com) feels for you - please give it a try!

Hi! I came across ASETNIOP when I was looking for a name and was surprised by what I found. Small circles, so glad to meet the creator!

I'm still fairly new on my journey so have only so far experimented with the standard physical layout--I'm likely to run the course; matrix/ergodox/etc. I did start thinking about laptop-friendly layouts and came up with a variation that mostly only uses the top two rows. One less row and I'll be at ASETNIOP. Here's that one:

K  W  U  P  J  H  L  Y  ,  [  ]
 A  S  E  T  G  F  N  R  I  O
  Z  X  C  V  Q  B  M  ;  .

Metrics-wise it's efficient (stats), but ergonomically I can't tell if I'm just not used to it or if there's something inherently awkward about it. The total finger/hand motions are definitely reduced but I don't have sufficient dexterity and independence of the right ring & pinky fingers.

Offline karmakaze

• Qwickly
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 22:59:16 »
Oops, missed some letters

K  W  U  D  P  J  H  L  Y  ,  [  ]
 A  S  E  T  G  F  N  R  I  O
  Z  X  C  V  Q  B  M  ;  .  /