Author Topic: Do you regret buying your HHKB?  (Read 75651 times)

Offline ktkr

Re: Do you regret buying your HHKB?
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 14:09:22 »
So basically what you are saying is: HHBK ruined keyboarding for you and HHKB is endgame?

Yep, at least for the foreseeable future. My second HHKB was my first keyboard purchase within last few years.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:12:21 »
So basically what you are saying is: HHBK ruined keyboarding for you and HHKB is endgame?

Yep, at least for the foreseeable future. My second HHKB was my first keyboard purchase within last few years.

Have you tried MX Clears already? Those are the only Cherry switches I occasionally prefer OVER Topre.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline ktkr

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:19:35 »

Have you tried MX Clears already? Those are the only Cherry switches I occasionally prefer OVER Topre.

I haven't had the chance to try Clears but from what I've read they're said to be heavier Browns which I personally hate. I have owned Reds, Blacks, Blues and Browns. Blues are the only ones I really like and I'm actually using them at work. Since I love Blues and buckling springs, I would like to try Greens but I'm not going to buy them if I can't test them first.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:41:14 »
I haven't had the chance to try Clears but from what I've read they're said to be heavier Browns
Then it's said wrong. Why would ergo clears (or purple zealios) even exist, if clears were just heavier browns? For that matter, heavier browns (aka tactoblacks) feel like ****.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:42:44 »
The HHKB would be awesome if it was a TKL, oh wait...that's a Realforce :D

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:54:47 »

But that has a hard-ass plate. Gimme plastic case mounted 55g tkl and I'd consider regretting having 2 HHKB in the house.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:59:19 »

But that has a hard-ass plate. Gimme plastic case mounted 55g tkl and I'd consider regretting having 2 HHKB in the house.

Ooo, yea I can't hate on that, that would be fun to try.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 22:10:54 »
As I understand this thread is now turned into a discussion about what we love & hate/would want to change in HHKB.

So I just wanted to ask - do you move your HHKB around that much while you're typing? I thought that owning a HHKB is like owning a drift car but really I haven't had any issues with it sliding around much. But then again my wpm is ~50 so I'm not that fast.

I just bought cabinet door bumpers similar to this for the bottom of my HHKB...

http://www.amazon.com/Bumpers-Small-Diameter-Thick-Sheet/dp/B003F092P6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1461640136&sr=8-7&keywords=cabinet+door+bumpers

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 22:39:28 »
no

i traded it for a much better board so it's all good
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 22:53:10 »
As I understand this thread is now turned into a discussion about what we love & hate/would want to change in HHKB.

So I just wanted to ask - do you move your HHKB around that much while you're typing? I thought that owning a HHKB is like owning a drift car but really I haven't had any issues with it sliding around much. But then again my wpm is ~50 so I'm not that fast.

I bought some of these for mine a while back. It comes in a four pack, and I've only put them on my HHKB. They work great, and my board doesn't slip at all now. Still saving the other three in case I need them for something. I was able to find them cheaper on some other semi sketchy looking German site for $8, but I figured linking to amazon would seem less sketchy :))

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 23:10:53 »

ABS STOP HAVING ***** FINGER TIPS AND MAN UP SON.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline zoomwalt

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 23:24:55 »
You guys who run with the HHKB clearly don't work in finance or accounting. How anyone could go without arrows, F key row, and numpad while in MS excel blows my mind.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 23:29:36 »
The only thing I regret about my hhkb's is that I didn't buy them first, I spent a ton of money on mx boards and caps. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 23:51:35 »
I regret the invention of the HHKB

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 00:25:04 »
I regret the invention of the HHKB

Save some of that edge for reddit, son.

Offline Rad

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 01:27:48 »
You guys who run with the HHKB clearly don't work in finance or accounting. How anyone could go without arrows, F key row, and numpad while in MS excel blows my mind.
Function layer. And they make stand alone numpads.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 04:00:37 »

You could do a swap of course... put em 55g realforce topres in your beloved hhkb!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 04:01:18 »

http://www.amazon.com/Bumpers-Small-Diameter-Thick-Sheet/dp/B003F092P6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1461640136&sr=8-7&keywords=cabinet+door+bumpers

Do these actually work? They still seem a bit small..

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 04:11:13 »
The only thing I regret about my hhkb's is that I didn't buy them first, I spent a ton of money on mx boards and caps. Oh well, you live and you learn.
Yeah, but you've probably already sold the cherry caps and boards and in the end didn't lose that much money...sets go the same if not higher than in GB/retail, boards are different story, but if you bought used you're actually even :)
I really like hhkb's, probably the cutest board in existence, had three sold, one's on the way but buttery vintage blacks in alu case are just on another level imho  :rolleyes:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:30:27 »
Yeah, but you've probably already sold the cherry caps and boards and in the end didn't lose that much money...sets go the same if not higher than in GB/retail, boards are different story, but if you bought used you're actually even :)
I really like hhkb's, probably the cutest board in existence, had three sold, one's on the way but buttery vintage blacks in alu case are just on another level imho  :rolleyes:

How they feel compared to Topres?

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:37:20 »
Different, they're linear so it's not really relevant to compare...but to me the vintage 55g blacks feel more refined, lighter, smoother... I'm neither a fan of topre or cherry or BS, I just like what feels good and vintages are probably the best keyboard experience -> in combination with other factors too of course :)

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:39:47 »
Different, they're linear so it's not really relevant to compare...but to me the vintage 55g blacks feel more refined, lighter, smoother... I'm neither a fan of topre or cherry or BS, I just like what feels good and vintages are probably the best keyboard experience -> in combination with other factors too of course :)

You're right about vintage blacks. I'm still a huge fan of topre, but mmm love me some buttereh smooth blacks.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:42:17 »

You're right about vintage blacks. I'm still a huge fan of topre, but mmm love me some buttereh smooth blacks.

Mmm... once I build my supreme gaming rig probably after WWDC time to get me one of them lubed black boards.. probably not as smooth as vintage blacks but still smooth. O and o-rings.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:45:50 »

Mmm... once I build my supreme gaming rig probably after WWDC time to get me one of them lubed black boards.. probably not as smooth as vintage blacks but still smooth. O and o-rings.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

pls no o rings

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:48:51 »

Totally! Topres are great boards, no doubt about it, hhkb's are sugar for our daddies but on the other hand I can't get enought of these buttery-vintage-aluminium-doubleshot experiences... soooooo noice! :) 

I have some blacks available + some vintages for taste...let me know -> pm ;) 
...yeah man, no o-rings needed on buttery blacks...you'll be dying to bottom these babies down  :))

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 16:36:52 »

Do these actually work? They still seem a bit small..

Of course they work. Small isn't the issue. It's contact with your desk surface that matters. Sometimes smaller is better!

Offline rurushu

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 09:54:27 »
Guys, are really HHKB the de facto of Topre?

Sorry if I sound like a MX peasant but I am still slowly at the researching phase, trying to find my way into the World of Cup Rubber.

The more I read about HHKB in GH, the more I felt like it is being glorified to an extend that it is like one of those cults or some sort.

Is it really that amazing?

On a second note, I think will try to go the 45g route compared to the 55g route as my weakling fingers cant stand that extra 10g of weights.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 10:15:28 »

Sorry if I sound like a MX peasant but I am still slowly at the researching phase, trying to find my way into the World of Cup Rubber.

The more I read about HHKB in GH, the more I felt like it is being glorified to an extend that it is like one of those cults or some sort.

On a second note, I think will try to go the 45g route compared to the 55g route as my weakling fingers cant stand that extra 10g of weights.
I thought you had one?
But yes, its the ultimate Topre experience.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 10:19:14 »

De facto topre? No. That would be 55g RF. It's just a buttery smooth switch right out the box it's ridiculous.

But, I'm not a fan of tkl. Hhkb size and layout is op.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 10:22:24 »

I thought you had one?

Not yet, am still a little intimidated by the thought of buying a $200+ board with unfamiliar layout and unfamiliar switches  :-X

the irony is I would not hesitate to spend that kind of money on artisan keycaps... the world is funny sometimes....

De facto topre? No. That would be 55g RF. It's just a buttery smooth switch right out the box it's ridiculous.

then demik, did you mod your HHKB to 55g? Since then you can have the best of both worlds!

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 10:22:32 »

pls don't call 55g RF buttery smooth cuz its not

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 11:40:47 »

I thought you had one?

Not yet, am still a little intimidated by the thought of buying a $200+ board with unfamiliar layout and unfamiliar switches  :-X

the irony is I would not hesitate to spend that kind of money on artisan keycaps... the world is funny sometimes....

then demik, did you mod your HHKB to 55g? Since then you can have the best of both worlds!

Nope. Plate mounted is way better than case mounted. And I don't want to risk it and hate both when combined (hhkb and 55g)

You like mx blacks and fall for the vintage tag. You know nothing

Offline lootbag

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 12:40:06 »
I would never regret buying my HHKB... 6 years ago.
It was so much cheaper back then!

+1

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 13:13:06 »
No matter what board I buy, I always end up going back to my HHKBs after a short time, for both work and home.

The only thing I regret about my HHKB is buying other boards first.
Just came across this thread and first thing I find odd is what you said nubbs - thought you thought HHKB was just ok. This statement speaks of HUGE love for HHKB.

It was the FC660C and the NovaTouch that were uninspiring.

Completely agree here...uninspiring is the perfect word. I started with a HHKB, which was exactly what I had been searching for in terms of feeling. Then I tried the FC660C and the NovaTouch when I was hoping the plate would be an upgrade, but I was pretty disappointed.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 13:15:37 »

I'm curious if you've noticed any changes in the feel over that time?

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 13:28:04 »
Every waking moment
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline lootbag

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 13:31:17 »

I'm curious if you've noticed any changes in the feel over that time?

Yes a couple.
Most obvious was the spacebar stabilizer grease going dry and that annoying clack developing.
Next, the domes did stiffen up a bit (I think) but not by much.
I bought a new 87u 55g in Jan 2016 and it is still noticeably heavier than the 6 year old HHKB 45g domes.
Too bad I do not have a new HHKB to compare it with.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 04:53:31 »

I thought you had one?

wow, you are truly missing out! I don't think anyone here who tried a HHKB has bad things to say about it. There's thousands of Love thread for HHKB. Go get one nao, try the Bluetooth version!  :eek:

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 04:58:21 »

Worst comes to worst, you can always sell it on here or mechmarket, or even offer in trades towards keycaps.

IMO it's worth experiencing at least once. It's definitely the best keyboard I've used, and the layout isn't too bad to get used to.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 05:01:38 »
Once I have time to switch my caps back to the default black printed, I will put mine on classified. I want to buy the Bluetooth HHKB! :P :P

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 05:15:29 »
Once I have time to switch my caps back to the default black printed, I will put mine on classified. I want to buy the Bluetooth HHKB! :P :P

You have the black printed keycaps already? I'm seeing that you have a HHKB with white (printed?) key set. Would be interested in trading blacks in for whites IF you don't have the black ones. :D
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Belfong

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 05:23:29 »

You have the black printed keycaps already? I'm seeing that you have a HHKB with white (printed?) key set. Would be interested in trading blacks in for whites IF you don't have the black ones. :D
When I bought my HHKB, it was black printed. I have also bought the white printed and white blanks keys. I interchange them once a while.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 05:26:44 »

When I bought my HHKB, it was black printed. I have also bought the white printed and white blanks keys. I interchange them once a while.

Ok, I understand. Worth a shot, though. :D Do you have any photos with white printed caps on? Just wondering how it looks.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 05:54:27 »
I regret selling mine  :'(

Offline Belfong

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 06:14:46 »
@funderburker
It's beautiful with white printed.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 06:35:57 »
Yeah. That looks better than black case with blank white caps. I like how it ties it all together with the legends.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 09:42:51 »

Haven't you bought and sold one like 3 times already?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 09:50:09 »

Haven't you bought and sold one like 3 times already?
no mane I only habe 1 hhkb

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 09:51:44 »

Offline breaker9691

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 10:24:46 »
I have HHKB Pro2, and now gonna buy HHKB Pro2 Type-S, but in my opinion, HHKB it's not the best options for you

the better point in Topre with CherryMX IS Topre never get double click, and CherryMX do, but if you press to keyboard too fast then the HHKB won't recieve that button, but that speed it's not easy to reach so
HHKB Still are one of my best choice til now (and make your own custom, HHKB is the final gate to you to come to custom keyboard)