Author Topic: Left windows key shuts down my computer?  (Read 14195 times)

Offline notscott

Left windows key shuts down my computer?
« on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:21:43 »
I fear I've lost my first child.

Out of nowhere, after 5+ years of perfection, my Filco Majestouch-2 TKL has developed a strange problem.. Whenever I press the left Windows key, my computer shuts down. This keyboard has been my daily driver at home this whole time and I'd hate to lose it but I am out of ideas. General Googling has not returned any helpful results so I turned to you, GeekHack. You are my last hope.

Things I've tried/noticed:
- Every other key functions normally, right Windows key does not shut down computer
- Sticky keys is not on
- Tried a different USB port
- Tried a different cable
- I have not installed or modified anything on my computer or keyboard recently
- I have not spilled anything on it, I am the only person who uses it
- I took it apart AFTER the problem started to verify nothing was visibly wrong with the PCB/switch (http://imgur.com/a/PgweN)
- Using the built-in Windows on-screen keyboard I noticed pressing the left Windows key sends CTRL+ALT+DEL+ENTER command as those keys light up

I plugged a second keyboard into the computer and do not have the same problem.
I then plugged my Filco into my laptop and was experiencing the same shut down issue.

This points to the keyboard being the issue but I don't want to give up on it.. Hopefully someone here has an idea or has possibly dealt with this before?

TLDR: suddenly left windows key shuts down computer. help!

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Re: Left windows key shuts down my computer?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:23:44 »
You might have a weirdly similar problem to this guy https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87538.0

download bluescreenview and see if theres anything from the shutdowns

Offline notscott

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:27:35 »
Hadn't thought of that but I checked, no crashes. It goes through the signing out/shutting down screen after I hit the key

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:33:32 »
Check your scancodes. It might be that your left windows key was shipped as a power button. For some reason that exists as a scancode option.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:53:45 »
You can find a better keyboard test program here.
REΛLFORCE

Offline notscott

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 21:02:05 »
You can find a better keyboard test program here.

I agree that the EK program is better but the problem with it is you have to click save before the program will write to the log file. The second I hit my Windows key the screen goes to the "Signing out" screen. I took a slow-mo video of the program's output as I hit the Windows key but even that didn't capture the output

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 04:40:21 »
Does it shutdown abruptly or does it go through the sign out and power off routine?

The few things I would try anyway are:
- Unplug the keyboard, remove the controller (located above the arrow cluster) and put it back.
- Short the L_Win switch pins and see wheter the computer shuts.
- As you can see, the L_Win can be rotated 180°, short the pins on the opposite side.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 08:13:50 »
Sounds like a great cruel macro prank that somebody could play.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 13:16:28 »
Sounds like a great cruel macro prank that somebody could play.

I've considered it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline notscott

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 17:11:56 »
Does it shutdown abruptly or does it go through the sign out and power off routine?

The few things I would try anyway are:
- Unplug the keyboard, remove the controller (located above the arrow cluster) and put it back.
- Short the L_Win switch pins and see wheter the computer shuts.
- As you can see, the L_Win can be rotated 180°, short the pins on the opposite side.

It goes through the sign out/shut down routine. I tried your suggestions and found the following:

- Reseating the controller had no effect
- Shorting either set of pins causes the same sign out/shut down routine

I did notice today, for the first time ever, that my left Windows and left Control switches are installed upside down (http://imgur.com/WZv5cOl). Maybe I'm wrong but, I don't see how this could be causing the problem as it has always been like that and only now after 5 years am I having an issue.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 17:22:17 »

It goes through the sign out/shut down routine. I tried your suggestions and found the following:

- Reseating the controller had no effect
- Shorting either set of pins causes the same sign out/shut down routine

Really odd. Another random suggestion from the peanut gallery - try booting a different OS (like a Linux live image) and see what happens.

If it still happens, perhaps you've got something ugly happening on your USB bus. If it doesn't happen, you can figure out what codes it is sending.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 18:23:23 »
Have you considered using a custom controller?  It sounds like the switch is working properly, so a new controller may fix the issue.  If you don't want to do a custom one, im sure you could find a stock filco one pretty easily.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 20:05:37 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:10:23 by alienman82 »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 03:32:55 »
my left Windows and left Control switches are installed upside down
That's by design because the PCB is for ANSI and JIS (although, if I recall, it doesn't support the ISO enter that JIS actually use).

Have you considered using a custom controller?
Other than trying a different operating system, this would be the only solution.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 03:33:45 »
solution --> LINUX

This is the best solution.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 04:22:57 »
Just be happy that someone upgraded your controller :D, i have experienced the opposite almost with MS latest update that the start menu is not working... MS you stu*** 

Offline notscott

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 08:05:14 »
solution --> LINUX

This is the best solution.

I booted into a live image of Ubuntu and had the same result, only this time it brings up options asking if I want to shut down or restart

Offline notscott

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 08:06:52 »
Have you considered using a custom controller?  It sounds like the switch is working properly, so a new controller may fix the issue.  If you don't want to do a custom one, im sure you could find a stock filco one pretty easily.

Do you happen to know of somewhere I could buy one? I'm not opposed to posting in the Classified section but curious if there was an retailer I could purchase through

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Left windows key shuts down my computer?
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 08:09:39 »

Do you happen to know of somewhere I could buy one? I'm not opposed to posting in the Classified section but curious if there was an retailer I could purchase through

http://bathroomepiphanies.com/controllers/

You'd want the Pegasus hoof. There is a store link at the top with info on how to order. You'll need to program it once you get it, but it's all fairly simple.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 08:30:11 »
I seconded the motion for a pegasus hoof.  I have one in my brand new filco and it works like a charm.  Got it in a few days from 1upkeyboards

Super easy to program with easyAVR and now I have all of my 60% shortcuts built into my TKL :)

I would at least try it out to see if that fixes the problem.  Worst thing that could happen is you are stuck with a still malfunctioning board and a brand new $35 controller that you can always use in a new board or resell.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 08:32:39 by reececonrad »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 09:01:42 »
So random. You can order the Pegasus Hoof from https://1upkeyboards.com/filco-pegasus-hoof-controller.html if you need it. I'm thinking you might need it..

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 09:02:09 »
You'll need to program it once you get it, but it's all fairly simple.
I think bpiphany now ships controllers with a preloaded firmware with a default layout, nonetheless OP might wanna reprogram it at a later time.

Offline notscott

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 09:34:39 »
Just ordered the Pegasus Hoof from 1UP. Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully this works. I'm baffled as to how or why this happened but oh well. I just want to get by until the next MiniVan order on MD

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 11:10:03 »
does it shut down the computer on ALL computers ?

That could be an insanely power item to possess.. hahahahahahaha.. overpowered, ur keyboard needs to be nerfed

but if windows does detect electrical fault on the usb, it sometimes does shut down.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 13:26:02 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:09:34 by alienman82 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 14:02:19 »
does it shut down the computer on ALL computers ?

That could be an insanely power item to possess.. hahahahahahaha.. overpowered, ur keyboard needs to be nerfed

but if windows does detect electrical fault on the usb, it sometimes does shut down.

wtp4 wtf.  nerfed.  lol

I've made quite a few cables and screwed up the wiring, and i've never seen windows shut down from a short.  I have seen (many times) that windows will detect a power surge from the usb device and disable it.  I've just never seen a modern windows install shut down from a usb device.

I'm trying to think of how this happened anyway.  Have you considered the possibility that you have some malware or hardware (badusb) infestations trying to write/read your keystrokes?  Mabye a program was trying to access the controller and accidentally wrote to it or corrupted it?  Granted, I don't know exactly how that would work because the controller usually has to be in a programming state to do that, but maybe there is malware that can send it the BOOT code to make it writable?  #theories #tinfoilhat
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 14:08:04 by reececonrad »

Offline notscott

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 15:02:08 »
I've made quite a few cables and screwed up the wiring, and i've never seen windows shut down from a short.  I have seen (many times) that windows will detect a power surge from the usb device and disable it.  I've just never seen a modern windows install shut down from a usb device.

I'm trying to think of how this happened anyway.  Have you considered the possibility that you have some malware or hardware (badusb) infestations trying to write/read your keystrokes?  Mabye a program was trying to access the controller and accidentally wrote to it or corrupted it?  Granted, I don't know exactly how that would work because the controller usually has to be in a programming state to do that, but maybe there is malware that can send it the BOOT code to make it writable?  #theories #tinfoilhat

The thought honestly hadn't crossed my mind but I doubt it? I'm rather cautious online and have yet to, in my 15+ years of internet, obtain a virus. I'll do some scans on my desktop when I get home to see if I find anything. I work IT for a living and none of my coworkers had experienced something like this either. I would really like to someday figure out what caused this. Until then, I'm just going to blame MS. Because, why not? :)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 15:12:26 »
Curiously, the PS/2 scan codes for power (E0 5E) and left GUI (E0 5B) are very similar, and although you're using USB, Filco keyboards understand both PS/2 and USB. It surprises me that you'd see ctrl+alt+del+enter appear in the on-screen keyboard — since it's a fault with the keyboard, I have to wonder if that's the on-screen keyboard's way of showing the power button.

What happens if you change the Windows settings for the power button so that it doesn't do anything? Supposedly that setting covers both the front panel button and the keyboard button. (If the controller is sending the wrong scancode you could see if SharpKeys will let you remap power to left Windows, at least until you get a replacement controller : )

I'm guessing controller failure of some kind. My Poker II at work keeps adding ctrl to keystrokes at random — that may, too, be a controller fault. I don't have a good spare keyboard to use in its place to see if the fault disappears (I don't have much with a proper modern layout!)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:20:21 »
Maybe it's just trying to tell you that you need to get out more.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 08:14:06 »
Maybe it's just trying to tell you that you need to get out more.

Never go outside..  Outside = Bad, Dangerous, Drug Dealers, Promiscuous Harpies, and Terrorists..

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 08:15:35 »
Just when I thought nobody could post anything more useless to this topic …
Bore Awards

Offline notscott

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 10:00:29 »
Curiously, the PS/2 scan codes for power (E0 5E) and left GUI (E0 5B) are very similar, and although you're using USB, Filco keyboards understand both PS/2 and USB. It surprises me that you'd see ctrl+alt+del+enter appear in the on-screen keyboard — since it's a fault with the keyboard, I have to wonder if that's the on-screen keyboard's way of showing the power button.

What happens if you change the Windows settings for the power button so that it doesn't do anything? Supposedly that setting covers both the front panel button and the keyboard button. (If the controller is sending the wrong scancode you could see if SharpKeys will let you remap power to left Windows, at least until you get a replacement controller : )

I'm guessing controller failure of some kind. My Poker II at work keeps adding ctrl to keystrokes at random — that may, too, be a controller fault. I don't have a good spare keyboard to use in its place to see if the fault disappears (I don't have much with a proper modern layout!)

Disabling the power button has stopped the key from shutting down my computer! I was able to save my output from SwitchHitter and the key doesn't seem to be sending the same codes each time it is pressed:

55:29.0109 F7 (0x76, BIOS 0x41) DOWN
55:29.0109 [ (0xDB, BIOS 0x1A) DOWN
55:29.0109 Backspace (0x08, BIOS 0x0E) DOWN
55:29.0109 Numpad 4 (0x64, BIOS 0x4B) DOWN
55:29.0109 Numpad 5 (0x65, BIOS 0x4C) DOWN
55:29.0109 Numpad 6 (0x66, BIOS 0x4D) DOWN
55:29.0109 F7 (0x76, BIOS 0x41) UP -> 10ms
57:47.0816 Backspace (0x08, BIOS 0x0E) DOWN
57:47.0832 Numpad 4 (0x64, BIOS 0x4B) DOWN
57:47.0833 Numpad 5 (0x65, BIOS 0x4C) DOWN
57:47.0835 Numpad 6 (0x66, BIOS 0x4D) DOWN
57:47.0838 Backspace (0x08, BIOS 0x0E) UP -> 8ms
57:47.0838 Numpad 4 (0x64, BIOS 0x4B) UP -> 7ms
57:47.0838 Numpad 5 (0x65, BIOS 0x4C) UP -> 8ms
57:47.0838 Numpad 6 (0x66, BIOS 0x4D) UP -> 7ms
59:15.0320 Tab (0x09, BIOS 0x0F) DOWN
59:15.0535 Tab (0x09, BIOS 0x0F) UP -> 208ms

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 10:09:09 »
Matrix column 2 is on the fritz:

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Controller_matrix_traces#Pinout_and_matrix

Note that I've linked the full size matrix, as you're getting keystrokes from the full-size keyboard!

From this I assume that the power key is included in matrix column 2 also.
Bore Awards

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 11:31:34 »
Perhaps not. He's surely getting random Col2 scancodes now but his computer systematically shut down when he pressed the L_Win. The issue might be elsewhere.
Should be worth checking if the other keys return the proper scancodes or if they are as well random in their column.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 11:40:25 »
The computer only shuts down if it senses the power button/key being pressed, as it doesn't shut down if that feature is turned off. It stands to reason that it's seeing that as one of the bogus scancodes generated by the controller.

It's true that I'd expect to see that key appear in Switch Hitter, but maybe that key is not presented to whatever API call is being used. After all, there seems to be no point to notify of that key, since you can't override it — see:

https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/7750-power-key-remapped-but-still-powers-down/
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/17029-how-to-remap-power-button/

It just seems like controller failure to me — as others have noted, the controller daughterboard needs replacing.
Bore Awards

Offline notscott

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 09:27:07 »
Perhaps not. He's surely getting random Col2 scancodes now but his computer systematically shut down when he pressed the L_Win. The issue might be elsewhere.
Should be worth checking if the other keys return the proper scancodes or if they are as well random in their column.

All other keys registered their correct scancodes, no other random scancodes were found

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 17:00:28 »
Well, we know that it's generating scancodes for keys you don't even have, so something's going wrong inside the controller. Quite what, I don't know, but this may be something to do with it.

Bore Awards

Offline nebs0n

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 01:14:51 »
I fear I've lost my first child.

Out of nowhere, after 5+ years of perfection, my Filco Majestouch-2 TKL has developed a strange problem.. Whenever I press the left Windows key, my computer shuts down. This keyboard has been my daily driver at home this whole time and I'd hate to lose it but I am out of ideas. General Googling has not returned any helpful results so I turned to you, GeekHack. You are my last hope.

Things I've tried/noticed:
- Every other key functions normally, right Windows key does not shut down computer
- Sticky keys is not on
- Tried a different USB port
- Tried a different cable
- I have not installed or modified anything on my computer or keyboard recently
- I have not spilled anything on it, I am the only person who uses it
- I took it apart AFTER the problem started to verify nothing was visibly wrong with the PCB/switch (http://imgur.com/a/PgweN)
- Using the built-in Windows on-screen keyboard I noticed pressing the left Windows key sends CTRL+ALT+DEL+ENTER command as those keys light up

I plugged a second keyboard into the computer and do not have the same problem.
I then plugged my Filco into my laptop and was experiencing the same shut down issue.

This points to the keyboard being the issue but I don't want to give up on it.. Hopefully someone here has an idea or has possibly dealt with this before?

TLDR: suddenly left windows key shuts down computer. help!

@notscott, did you ever figure out what the problem was?  I'm having the exact same issue as of tonight with my Filco Majestouch-2 TKL (about 4 years old).  I'm noticing my backspace key will shutdown my machine (Windows) and will attempt to shutdown (Linux).  Nothing looks to be shorting and the board generally looks okay.  Curious if you solved this and if it was the controller.

Cheers

Offline nebs0n

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 20:43:16 »
Just in case anyone else lands here, the problem was my daughterboard.  I purchased The Pegasus Hoof from Bathroom Epiphanies (directly from http://bathroomepiphanies.com/store/) and my Filco is back up and running!

I also was able to purchase some replacement Filco daughterboards from The Keyboard Company (keyboardco.com) as well, so that's always an option for you.  I didn't find the daughterboard on their store page, I reached out directly via the contact form.

Hopefully this helps someone else who can't find an answer via Google!