Author Topic: TKL or similar DIY kit  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Durroz

TKL or similar DIY kit
« on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 20:32:40 »
I have just started getting into the hobby of keyboard building and there are so many and yet so FEW options available.

I have a rather large keyboard right now that is dying on me. Corsair K70 original. Has numlock and 3 sets of macro keys on the side. I am looking for something smaller.

I really like the functionality of a TKL keyboard as I would use the page up, page down and delete keys. TKL kits seem hard to find these days.

I see KBDfans 67v2 is coming in stock shortly. I just want to know what is the best built option of kit that is compatible with 5 pin switches. I really dont want to have to snip the legs to make them 3 pin if I dont have to.

Any recommendations on a DIY kit with RGB, USB-C, preferably TKL or at least 65% and well built that can maybe hold Zeal Zilents or SIlent Sky switches would be great. I really want to go for a quiet build this time.

Thanks.

Offline Whale_algorithm

Re: TKL or similar DIY kit
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 07:45:38 »
The Drop CTRL board may be what you are looking for in terms of readily available TKL options. You can always check the group buy and interest check forums here, but TKLs will be less frequent than the CTRL, which is pretty widely available. It’s not the most high end but probably fine to start with.

Offline econeuler

Re: TKL or similar DIY kit
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 08:53:33 »
The GB for Decent 65 is live for another couple of days:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105811.0;topicseen

It looks really nice imo! I have ordered one myself, and also I've seen that Cream Switches are back in stock, maybe that could be an option?