Author Topic: Buckling spring vs aspects of cherry green/matias clicky/alps white  (Read 1214 times)

Offline bluejeans

My understanding is that the feel is different to any, but the keys are very stiff, even more so than alps white.  My least favorite out of all of these is probably alps white due to the stiffness, and it seems like you have to slow your typing to actuate, kind of like the matias clicky.

Also, I'm watching a unicomp on ebay that's a lot cheaper than one from a store, but it's a Japanese board (with english characters).  Will this work with an english O.S?  It would kill two birds with one stone as I intend to learn Japanese and you can switch between that and English, but I want to also use it as an english board that you can just plug in and type, without having to set something special up or press a certain key.  I'm aware that you have to press key combinations for certain symbols on the number keys.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Buckling spring vs aspects of cherry green/matias clicky/alps white
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 12:43:54 »
Numbers indicate that buckling springs are on the heavy side, but the fact is that under the fingers they do not feel particularly heavy, especially the Model F, which feels much lighter than the M. I am not sure what the reasons are, but I agree that it would be nice if they were lighter.

They are particularly satisfying for touch typists, because you can stop as soon as the spring buckles, without having to bottom out.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline bluejeans

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 12:47:20 »
Numbers indicate that buckling springs are on the heavy side, but the fact is that under the fingers they do not feel particularly heavy, especially the Model F, which feels much lighter than the M. I am not sure what the reasons are, but I agree that it would be nice if they were lighter.

They are particularly satisfying for touch typists, because you can stop as soon as the spring buckles, without having to bottom out.

Do unicomps come in both model f and model m style?  Great, instead of 1 example of a buckling spring keyboard I have to have 2  :p

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 13:57:01 »

Do unicomps come in both model f and model m style?

You are in luck. IBM discontinued the Model F in the mid-1980s.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"