Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 218718 times)

Offline Kavik

Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #850 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 09:58:58 »
Riding Weather here in SoCal is rather perfect at the moment high 60s low 70s (during the day) .. had rained a few days ago so the trail conditions are awesome (now that mud has gone away that is)..  Out yesterday on 10~mile mtb ride w/ my Trance Advanced 2

(Attachment Link)

I took a friend out to one of the local MTB trails Sunday (perfect weather), and we had a lot of fun. He's deciding which bike to buy for ~$1200. He rented a Giant Talon 27.5 (all the local shop rents for hard tails), and I took my Trek Xcaliber 6 29er. I think we both decided we prefer 27.5" wheels. I was surprised how different they felt.

I've been wanting a Giant Trance myself. My local shop has had a 2019 Trance for about a year, but it's still full price ($2000), so I'm not sure if I should wait for it to be discounted or try to track down a 2020 model, which is only $100 more.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline JP

« Reply #851 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 09:46:41 »
I got some epic rides in the past couple weekends on my gravel rig thanks to some favorable weather  :D

235058-0
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #852 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 05:45:41 »
Still love that bike JP, glad to see the gravel's not chipping the paint :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #853 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 06:41:31 »
Still love that bike JP, glad to see the gravel's not chipping the paint :thumb:

All the females sees it be like, oooo, dis' guy employed++

Offline JP

« Reply #854 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 23:10:56 »

Thanks! It's been a sweet bike so far but it is a bit on the heavy side being thick steel. I'm going to upgrade the brakes soon to TRP HY/RD hydraulic disc brakes and will be throwing on a R8000 groupset from a donor bike. I will also add a 11-34 cassette which should pair nicely with the 48/32 crankset. I'll be pretty well equipped for the hills. Also The paint of this bike chips super easy but you have to be super nosy to see those up close. It even had a large chip on the top tube when it was shipped but I used a sticker to cover that up.  :thumb:

All the females sees it be like, oooo, dis' guy employed++

Haha  :)) Sometimes I look like a bum and I drive an old rusted truck so my bike game does not translate well to the civilian world. Also if one were interested all I need to do is open my mouth and any potential charm I might have rapidly disappears. My bike game and gear is on point though.  :thumb:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #855 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 23:17:17 »
I looked at my bike yesterday after about 3 years. It's all rusty and full of spiders  :'(

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #856 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 05:18:47 »
I'm going to upgrade the brakes soon to TRP HY/RD hydraulic disc brakes and will be throwing on a R8000 groupset from a donor bike. I will also add a 11-34 cassette which should pair nicely with the 48/32 crankset. I'll be pretty well equipped for the hills. Also The paint of this bike chips super easy but you have to be super nosy to see those up close. It even had a large chip on the top tube when it was shipped but I used a sticker to cover that up.  :thumb:

I picked up some used HY/RDs, an improvement over the stock brakes but mainly noticeable by the lack of squeaking in the wet.  Might be more useful for you if you're going up hills that need 32-34 gear though :eek:  I've been running 1x9 but picked up a Nuvinci hub cheap and it's built up ready to fit this weekend, just need to run a second cable and get my head round the hub end shifty ring alignment, and hope my crank's chainline isn't too far out...

In other bike related news I managed to lose the bb end bolt from my rear mudguard yesterday and it's been rattling for a while anyway despite extra zip ties and sugru so I've just ordered some Pletschers which claim to support 8kg of luggage and are made for 27.5 wheels so should have less flappy bit sticking out the back.  Assuming I can get them through the stays they should be tough enough to survive more than one winter unlike the SKS Bluemels(?) and Edge AL.

I looked at my bike yesterday after about 3 years. It's all rusty and full of spiders  :'(

Oh dear.  The spiders can be moved on but you're supposed to dry a steel bike before putting it away.  A bit late for that advice!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #857 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:52:19 »
Oh dear.  The spiders can be moved on but you're supposed to dry a steel bike before putting it away.  A bit late for that advice!

Modern steel is highly resilient, it just looks busted,  everything prolly wurk still gud"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #858 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 17:11:25 »
Test fitted Nuvinci wheel, the 'no turn washers' only go about 2mm into the dropout and with an aluminium frame that doesn't sound good, which is very annoying as the chainline appears to be perfect.  Do these things have another name that is searchable? They're the black rings on the left
235336-0

Does it make any sense to buy a frame, fork and headset just to see if I like the Nuvinci?  Pretty sure I have a spare everything else to make a second bike already :-[
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #859 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 01:11:10 »
Is there any use in taking my bottom bracket apart to clean and relube it? I've been thinking of tearing my 15 year old road bike down, cleaning and lubing everything, and putting it back together, but I don't have any bike specific tools other than a pedal wrench. I figure, at the very least, I should get a cassette tool so that I can completely clean the cogs and clean the rear derailleur while I'm at it. I'd also like to replace the rusted screws everywhere.

Anyway, I'm not sure if opening up the BB would cause more problems that it would fix.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #860 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 06:41:12 »
Relubing bearings is usually a good idea, you need to get the tension right when rebuilding though else they wobble and wear quickly (not tight enough) or don't spin freely (too tight)  If it's lasted 15 years and still spins nicely I'm not sure I'd touch it though.  Any idea what model it is?

Cassettes require no skill just a chain whip and lockring tool, definitely worth doing (assuming it's actually dirty - if the cassette has lasted 15 years it can't see much use!)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #861 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 11:11:18 »
Relubing bearings is usually a good idea, you need to get the tension right when rebuilding though else they wobble and wear quickly (not tight enough) or don't spin freely (too tight)  If it's lasted 15 years and still spins nicely I'm not sure I'd touch it though.  Any idea what model it is?

Cassettes require no skill just a chain whip and lockring tool, definitely worth doing (assuming it's actually dirty - if the cassette has lasted 15 years it can't see much use!)

Thanks for the input. It's a Giant OCR3 from 2005, so whatever BB that has.

IIRC the BB still spins ok. I think I just wanted to clean everything up (I can't quite remember since it's been a few months since riding it).

As for the cassette, I think the shop replaced it during a tune-up maybe five or six years ago (and I've only ridden much recently in the past two), so it's still in good shape, just dirty.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #862 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 15:49:36 »
Rebuilding your bike would definitely help but you have to make sure you do the rebuild properly. I think new cables would give you the best gains, but if there's something severely wrong with your crankset you can try reinstalling and relubing it.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #863 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 18:05:16 »
New mudguards arrived, they have a slot at the front of the rear one but no other mounting holes.  This is all the instructions included, assumedly the part names are in Swiss (which looks a lot like German?) 

235678-0

Where most have wire these supports are thick enough to bash someone's head in should the need arise, and the guards themselves are also reassuringly sturdy.  Think I need some more cable ties to bodge the old one on better to get me to the weekend though :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #864 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 18:07:25 »
New mudguards arrived, they have a slot at the front of the rear one but no other mounting holes.  This is all the instructions included, assumedly the part names are in Swiss (which looks a lot like German?) 

(Attachment Link)

Where most have wire these supports are thick enough to bash someone's head in should the need arise, and the guards themselves are also reassuringly sturdy.  Think I need some more cable ties to bodge the old one on better to get me to the weekend though :))

It's in German. #3 = End Cap  :) I never look at these things usually.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #865 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 18:12:42 »
It's in German. #3 = End Cap  :)

Indeed - and that's really good to know as they were already attached.  But doesn't that make #15 and #16 are mothers?!

Luckily #16 is big enough on the middle pic to know it's a nut, can't be sure from anywhere else even with the paper rather than an out of focus pic.

I never look at these things usually.

The mounting is exactly the same for front and back so I could work that out but was hoping for some useful guidance like 'drill from the inside/outside so the paint doesn't chip' or maybe 'use an Xmm drill bit' or even 'if you're using a dynamo light put the wire through before attaching bolts' but no, just a flatpack style exploded drawing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2020, 18:22:30 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #866 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 09:17:37 »
Guys, I need some help with a bicycle-related thing.

I'm 186cm or about 6'10" and I'm checking out a second-hand gravel bike frame that's sized L. I'm currently using a Charge Plug 1 (2016) single-speed bike with an XL frame size and it's been serving me good and the fit seems fine as well. Every frame is different I know but checking most bike charts with road/gravel bike geometry I'm usually either in-between or just on the bottom of XL sizing.

Should I got for a L sized frame or better not and just keep looking? It's quite far away so I'd have to take a ~2h drive down to get it and it's only a frame so I can't get actually test out how it feels BUT I do understand that having a smaller frame would be better than a frame one size too big as I can always go for a taller seatpost, longer stem etc. The price is tempting (70€ = ~$75) and it's an aluminium frameset with disc brake mounts as well compatible with 650b/700c wheelsets.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline JP

« Reply #867 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 11:35:45 »

I'm 186cm or about 6'10" and I'm checking out a second-hand gravel bike frame that's sized L. I'm currently using a Charge Plug 1 (2016) single-speed bike with an XL frame size and it's been serving me good and the fit seems fine as well. Every frame is different I know but checking most bike charts with road/gravel bike geometry I'm usually either in-between or just on the bottom of XL sizing.

Should I got for a L sized frame or better not and just keep looking? It's quite far away so I'd have to take a ~2h drive down to get it and it's only a frame so I can't get actually test out how it feels BUT I do understand that having a smaller frame would be better than a frame one size too big as I can always go for a taller seatpost, longer stem etc. The price is tempting (70€ = ~$75) and it's an aluminium frameset with disc brake mounts as well compatible with 650b/700c wheelsets.

No way anyone here would be remotely qualified to answer this. You would need to work with a qualified bike fitter in person to best answer this and give you some perspective as far as what frame geometries would work best for you for the type of riding you would like to do. Every person is unique. Me personally I have longer legs and a shorter torso with moderate flexibility so regardless of frame size an aggressive racing geometry frame for example is pretty much the worst setup for me. At 6'10" I would think getting a frame too large would be quite unlikely. For $75 you can't buy much so that seems like a deal but of course it would be a gamble. I'd be sure and get some measurements and compare them with the bike you are currently riding. Another thing to consider, your body can sometimes adapt to an an ill fitting bike so I'd wary of getting a new bike based on an existing bike you have not been fitted to. The only other advise besides a bike fit would be to have a knowledgeable friend tag along with you if you know someone.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2020, 15:22:43 by JP »

Offline Sniping

« Reply #868 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 14:07:45 »

Well you should be weary of the 2 hour drive because if the bike doesn't turn out perfect then you'll have wasted your time here. I think you can fit a large frame fine. There are factors that vary but honestly at 186cm you probably belong on an L and not an XL. Honestly though, I would never drive 2h for a bike that's $70. Ask the seller if they'll be any closer to you in the near future? Otherwise, I wouldn't pursue it

Offline JP

« Reply #869 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 16:41:31 »
Since it's so far away and basically whole world is shutdown in the midst of a pandemic I would think such a trip would not be advisable.

Offline JP

« Reply #870 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 19:07:42 »
In other news I just finished up with a fresh rebuild of my road bike with the help of a friend. Unfortunately the weather really isn't favorable for riding much this week.

239841-0

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #871 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:15:22 »
No way anyone here would be remotely qualified to answer this. You would need to work with a qualified bike fitter in person to best answer this and give you some perspective as far as what frame geometries would work best for you for the type of riding you would like to do. Every person is unique. Me personally I have longer legs and a shorter torso with moderate flexibility so regardless of frame size an aggressive racing geometry frame for example is pretty much the worst setup for me. At 6'10" I would think getting a frame too large would be quite unlikely. For $75 you can't buy much so that seems like a deal but of course it would be a gamble. I'd be sure and get some measurements and compare them with the bike you are currently riding. Another thing to consider, your body can sometimes adapt to an an ill fitting bike so I'd wary of getting a new bike based on an existing bike you have not been fitted to. The only other advise besides a bike fit would be to have a knowledgeable friend tag along with you if you know someone.

Since it's so far away and basically whole world is shutdown in the midst of a pandemic I would think such a trip would not be advisable.

I understand that I should probably do a bike fitting but it's a bit out-of-the-question right now given the Covid-19 and it's quite expensive... But it's on the list though! Currently, I'm sticking with bike chart recommendations as I'm nowhere near to do races or actually do performance rides (Strava doesn't count :D). I just thought that given I'm in-between that someone has been in the same kind of situation. I don't really have any friends that are into cycling so I'm mostly stuck with general discussions on the interwebs.

Well you should be weary of the 2 hour drive because if the bike doesn't turn out perfect then you'll have wasted your time here. I think you can fit a large frame fine. There are factors that vary but honestly at 186cm you probably belong on an L and not an XL. Honestly though, I would never drive 2h for a bike that's $70. Ask the seller if they'll be any closer to you in the near future? Otherwise, I wouldn't pursue it

Yeah, the drive was really what made me think about it. Maybe I'm missing out as it ticked most boxes what I was looking for (disc brake mounts, 650b/700c compatible, aluminium frameset, powder-coated in a nice sand/olive green) but he didn't budge on the price. Kinda get it given it's low already but travel time and gas would at least be worth letting the pricing down some $10-ish.

So what I'm trying to say - I didn't get it. Would've been an impulsive buy and I can probably put $75 towards something more useful like a speed sensor or smth. Need to get one for those bike roller sessions.

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #872 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:16:57 »
In other news I just finished up with a fresh rebuild of my road bike with the help of a friend. Unfortunately the weather really isn't favorable for riding much this week.

(Attachment Link)

Damn, that's a lovely bike. That big chainring is massive!

Offline JP

« Reply #873 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 10:08:38 »
Damn, that's a lovely bike. That big chainring is massive!

Thanks! The big chainring is a 52 tooth (52/36 Mid-Compact crankset) so yes I'd consider it pretty large. A friend of mine rides a standard which is a 53/39 (basically what pros use to go fast in the flats). I am a mortal / amateur so no way I'm able to max out either (40+ mph) unless maybe riding down a mountain descent.  :eek:

Heck on my gravel bike my large chainring is a 48 tooth and can't spin that out (35+ mph).

Offline MMKB

« Reply #874 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 12:18:48 »

Yeah, the drive was really what made me think about it. Maybe I'm missing out as it ticked most boxes what I was looking for (disc brake mounts, 650b/700c compatible, aluminium frameset, powder-coated in a nice sand/olive green) but he didn't budge on the price. Kinda get it given it's low already but travel time and gas would at least be worth letting the pricing down some $10-ish.

So what I'm trying to say - I didn't get it. Would've been an impulsive buy and I can probably put $75 towards something more useful like a speed sensor or smth. Need to get one for those bike roller sessions.

There will always be good deals. Stay safe first. The best time to buy a bike is always next year :)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #875 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 14:15:39 »

There will always be good deals. Stay safe first. The best time to buy a bike is always next year :)

Thanks mate for the encouragement. Feel better on not going for it. :)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #876 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:34:45 »
I've been away for a while but I do have something to show you people of what I did in the meantime (a.k.a. the other expensive hobby):

1980's Batavus Randonneur GL
Batavus Randonneur GL project - Bikeforums

My own long-distance bike. Very comfortable on longer days.

1995 Gazelle Lausanne 'mixte'
1995 Gazelle Lausanne 'mixte' - Bikeforums

Built this one for my girlfriend as her citybike/commuter. She was surprised, kind of confused but certainly appreciates it now. :P

And my current project;

1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce Project
1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce Project - Bikeforums

My own drum-brake commuter. Should be ready in a month or so when all the parts come in.

In its current state however;
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline MMKB

« Reply #877 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 13:30:58 »
Very classy. You must have some nice keyboards too. Retro full size Alps maybe?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #878 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:02:47 »
Very classy. You must have some nice keyboards too. Retro full size Alps maybe?
Thanks. I managed to tone it down to a Duck Orion V1 TKL at home and a Weaven 60% at work.
No classy retro boards for me unfortunately.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline JP

« Reply #879 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 15:06:42 »
Oh, I forgot to share a recent new bike day. It’s a 1977 Nishiki Olympic Royale. I picked this up from a friend for < $100. Definitely a survivor bike. I have the original saddle and other bits like reflectors stripped off to save some weight.

240118-0

240120-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:20:55 by JP »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #880 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 16:26:24 »
I see a few Brooks saddles here. Is it worth giving them another shot? I tried a B17 last summer, but it did not impress me - the leather was lopsided, so it felt slanted from left to right; and my sit bones seemed too close to the rivets on the back no matter how I positioned it. I have heard of the "break-in period", but mine had butt dimples after just two rides, so I don't think that was the problem. I wondered if I got a lemon or one that had already been used and returned.

Offline JP

« Reply #881 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 16:49:20 »
I've been away for a while but I do have something to show you people of what I did in the meantime (a.k.a. the other expensive hobby):

1980's Batavus Randonneur GL
Batavus Randonneur GL project - Bikeforums

I love this build. Also that headlight bracket is quite clever.

I see a few Brooks saddles here. Is it worth giving them another shot? I tried a B17 last summer, but it did not impress me - the leather was lopsided, so it felt slanted from left to right; and my sit bones seemed too close to the rivets on the back no matter how I positioned it. I have heard of the "break-in period", but mine had butt dimples after just two rides, so I don't think that was the problem. I wondered if I got a lemon or one that had already been used and returned.

So I only got to ride the Brooks saddle once before I had to give it up as my friend wanted it back and it was already broken in by him. I found it surprisingly comfortable with the nose pointed up but uncomfortable in an aggressive position while using the drops. I really would have liked more time to evaluate it and mess with the fit. I think if you have a vintage bike it's a good choice. Now I need to decide whether to ride with the original black saddle or get a Brooks of my own which will likely be more than I paid for the entire bike. The downside to the Brooks is you don't want them to get wet and you have to take care of the leather.

I'd say possibly worth looking into again. Also perhaps research some alternatives.
https://www.bikeforums.net/long-distance-competition-ultracycling-randonneuring-endurance-cycling/1167110-alternatives-brooks-saddle.html

Offline iri

« Reply #882 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:22:45 »
I used one for several years and never liked it. Wife's run of the mill bike has the saddle I like much more.

My Brooks had died of adverse weather, but I have no hard feelings about it.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #883 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 13:39:45 »
Giving SwissStop a go :cool:
Wanted to get one with fins but figured I should see if I like them first.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline noahf

« Reply #884 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:04:26 »

(Attachment Link)

did not expect to see a low in this thread. i want one so bad. its one of my dream frames. he mentioned he may be doing lowkey road frames and if he does, snap buy!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #885 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:20:36 »
Does chocolate come with every pad ?

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #886 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 23:44:42 »
Just picked up a new bike a while ago. It's a 2019 Norco Section Carbon. Loving it so far just going to switch out a few goodies  :cool:

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #887 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 02:51:40 »
Just picked up a new bike a while ago. It's a 2019 Norco Section Carbon. Loving it so far just going to switch out a few goodies  :cool:

Show Image

As I already mentioned on IG, it's a really nice bike. If only Norcos were sold in Latvia.

Found couple of reasonably priced gravel bike options locally and if all is good, planning to cop one up in the near future! Single-speed gravel rides are okay but a bit limiting when planning an interesting route.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #888 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 03:07:56 »

Show Image

Gonna ride some gravel with it?

If you buy two more stems and some bars you can mount them on your current bars to have a makeshift Grail :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #889 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 15:34:30 »
Purchased a new bike! A commuter-focused package (fenders, rack, dynamo hub with front/rear lights) but beneath is a good spec and quite affordable gravel bike. Will take more photos once the weather is nice and I get some accessories and settle in. Waiting on SPD pedals so plastic pedals are just placeholders. Did a 30km ride already on it with some off-road and road segments and it handles real good!

Offline jamster

« Reply #890 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 08:51:23 »

Well that was certainly confusing- I was wondering how a 6'10"giant could squeeze onto a L sized bike.

Then I realised that 186cm is 6.1 feet.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #891 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 10:16:35 »

Well that was certainly confusing- I was wondering how a 6'10"giant could squeeze onto a L sized bike.

Then I realised that 186cm is 6.1 feet.

Oh, I'm very sorry about this confusion. The issues when metric and imperial people meet. :D

Offline JP

« Reply #892 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 11:11:42 »
Very nice! New bike days are the best.

Offline atarione

« Reply #893 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 23:59:51 »
My mtb's are probably the only thing keeping me from losing my mind right now... I'm soooooo sick of this **** I can't even put it into words.

My bikes trance adv 2 27.5 (2018) and a borrowed 2020 Trance Advanced Pro 2 29er that I've had on loan since all the virus stuff kicked off.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #894 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 10:44:53 »
My mtb's are probably the only thing keeping me from losing my mind right now... I'm soooooo sick of this **** I can't even put it into words.

My bikes trance adv 2 27.5 (2018) and a borrowed 2020 Trance Advanced Pro 2 29er that I've had on loan since all the virus stuff kicked off.

Do you prefer the longer travel on a smaller wheel or shorter travel on a bigger wheel? I've been wanting a Trance myself, but I've heard the 27.5 and 29er versions are very different and can't decide on one. My only point of comparison for wheel size is between a Trek hard tail and Giant dual suspension, so not the apples to apples comparison that you have.

Offline JP

« Reply #895 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 10:58:41 »
A buddy and I escaped the chaos of the city and completed our first century ride of the year. Actually it was my longest ride to date at about 110 miles, plus a bit extra later in the evening. The ride was so awesome. No traffic or potholes! The wind was brutal but we had a tailwind back so we were feeling pretty good. The serenity of this ride was later to be overshadowed by an evening of rioting in the downtown area where I live. So insane, did this ride and later rode to the protests which soon became a riot filled with tear gas, broken windows, looting, fires, chaos, and gunfire.  :(

244042-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 June 2020, 11:01:44 by JP »

Offline JP

« Reply #896 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 11:25:24 »

(Attachment Link)

did not expect to see a low in this thread. i want one so bad. its one of my dream frames. he mentioned he may be doing lowkey road frames and if he does, snap buy!

Haha I love it. So fast! Pricey though. Those Lowkey frames are definitely a bargain and look amazing. Yeah too bad there isn't a road frame version yet.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #897 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 18:23:36 »
Sounds like a good day JP. shame about the evening but at least you had a fast bike to make your getaway when things got bad.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #898 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 08:24:55 »
Sounds like a good day JP. shame about the evening but at least you had a fast bike to make your getaway when things got bad.

I switched to my gravel bike which is better suited to the urban streets filled with glass and doesn't look too fancy yet is still plenty fast. My helmet and cycling eye-wear also gave me like +10 riot resistance.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #899 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 08:48:54 »

I switched to my gravel bike which is better suited to the urban streets filled with glass and doesn't look too fancy yet is still plenty fast. My helmet and cycling eye-wear also gave me like +10 riot resistance.

More like a "riot bike" eh? Okay, won't continue down this path...