Author Topic: Model M artisan keycaps? and possible mx to buckling spring adapter  (Read 10209 times)

Offline AMACO

Is there anyone currently selling artisan keycaps for buckling spring keyboards, or is there an adapter out there to make cherry mx caps work for buckling spring.(I know I'm going out on a limb asking about an adapter)

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Model M artisan keycaps? and possible mx to buckling spring adapter
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:13:31 »
Is there anyone currently selling artisan keycaps for buckling spring keyboards, or is there an adapter out there to make cherry mx caps work for buckling spring.(I know I'm going out on a limb asking about an adapter)

BroCaps has made and is currently making buckling spring-compatible artisans.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:15:15 »
Both CC and Bro Caps make buckling spring caps. KBK/KWK also has made them. None of them are as popular or common as MX/Topre, simply because fewer people use buckling spring.

An adapter does not exist, nor do I believe it's possible to make one – I think the MX stem would interfere with the spring.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:15:31 »
Clack has the BMX which is an MX cap that can be turned into BS and vice versa but these are pretty rare.
I love Elzy

Offline AMACO

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:22:41 »
Its hard to get bro-caps, they sell out so quick. And I would never spend what they go for on ebay.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:23:44 »
Its hard to get bro-caps, they sell out so quick. And I would never spend what they go for on ebay.

There should be another sale in the coming weeks. It's usually done by raffle, so don't worry about it selling out. Just hope you get lucky.  :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:25:28 »
do_Og@n also made some. He painted the cap and included the stem separately.

Offline AMACO

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:27:51 »
I appreciate the replies, I'm new to Geekhack. Just wish there were more options for model m users. I have a ducky mini year of the horse edition with cherry mx blues and it doesn't compare to the model m.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:32:48 »
I appreciate the replies, I'm new to Geekhack. Just wish there were more options for model m users. I have a ducky mini year of the horse edition with cherry mx blues and it doesn't compare to the model m.

True, but MX caps are more popular to make considering the flood of current boards with MX-compatible switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:33:34 »

Been around GH and BS for a while now. I wish for the same thing. :(

Edit: Don't forget about FFS caps

Offline AMACO

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:38:41 »
Don't get me wrong I still love my cherry blues and I do understand why there are so many more options for them, I just feel like there is a market for BS still.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:40:13 »
Don't get me wrong I still love my cherry blues and I do understand why there are so many more options for them, I just feel like there is a market for BS still.

Espera te uno momento.
You have a Model M and you still like MX Blues?

Offline AMACO

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:42:54 »
Let me rephrase that lol. I love the options I have with my cherry board, and the tactile feel of the blues is alright but since getting a model m I haven't touched.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:45:17 »
Let me rephrase that lol. I love the options I have with my cherry board, and the tactile feel of the blues is alright but since getting a model m I haven't touched.

Ah, yes. Once you get the feel of Topre and buckling springs, all MX boards go out the window.
Except for one which you keep around to use only for decorating artisans and nice keycaps sets.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 14:46:12 »
Ah, yes. Once you get the feel of Alps and buckling springs, all MX boards go out the window.

Fixed that for you

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 14:49:04 »
Ah, yes. Once you get the feel of Alps and buckling springs, all MX boards go out the window.

Fixed that for you

But I've yet to try Alps...  :(

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 08:16:40 »

Fixed that for you

I've tried an Alps numberpad. The switches felt rough. It's a very strange, hard-to-describe feeling. Also, there aren't a lot of artisans out for them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 17:55:13 »
There are too few sources for ANY Model M keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 04:24:08 »
There are too few sources for ANY Model M keycaps.

This exactly. I have a silver label ISO UK Model M coming in from a friend, and am contemplating getting one of the new Model F's that are being made this year, and basically the options are: Sourcing other IBM keycaps/Buying unicomp (Limited colors and no colors for anything larger than 1u)/Dying them, which again, since the mods are different colors, they will just be different colors in general. What we need is a modern buckling spring switch that's (god forbid I say this) MX compatable. It just so happens that MX compatable keycaps are plentiful... and anything else (Looking at you alps) are basically nil.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 19:57:16 »
There's also Fentek: http://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm#.VsEwOuYnLgo (scroll to the bottom of the page)

But last I heard they were clearing out their Model M keycap stock.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 22:24:06 »

Fixed that for you

Sorry to necro, but good save!   ;D

Offline supamesican

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 20:56:57 »
Both CC and Bro Caps make buckling spring caps. KBK/KWK also has made them. None of them are as popular or common as MX/Topre, simply because fewer people use buckling spring.

An adapter does not exist, nor do I believe it's possible to make one – I think the MX stem would interfere with the spring.
do they work for model m and f?

Offline pwade3

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 21:25:30 »

Fixed that for you

I've tried an Alps numberpad. The switches felt rough. It's a very strange, hard-to-describe feeling. Also, there aren't a lot of artisans out for them.

Even less Alps artisans since CPT got so many of them boopers.  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 21:46:14 »

do they work for model m and f?

Yes.