Author Topic: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)  (Read 98330 times)

Offline Darknight00z

Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case (Google Form is up)
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 15:45:27 »
The height adjustability is very interesting! I'm in especially at that price point, but I hope there are more color options. Silver, Blue, green? Just a few choices other than black would be appreciated.

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 18:29:47 »
OK,
let me give u a few more words regarding color. sliver and black are the two standard "colors" you can choose from when you want to anodize. the company I'm doing this at is not specialized at fancy color stuff (just like most of the others who do oberflächentechnik / surface treatment here). they do mostly silver/black, everything else is more expensive. I had a project where I did gold, but for a keyboard this is not going to happen - not with me. also the form clearly shows, that the vast majority is fine with black. however I will get some more info on how big the difference in price would be - but that does not mean I'm actually considering something other than black :)

so far 64 people have filled out the form, which is ok, i think. no doubt most of you want the high profile version (without wrist rest).

so here is another question regarding the high profile. forgot to put it into the form. I actually had mentioned this in the opening post already and I think I know what you want, but I wanna make sure. so the renders of the 75% hight-profile version (the one with the black keycaps) is an older version. caps start level with the frame. then I made changes, let the frame rise a little more so the caps sink in 1mm, that's what you see on the 60% standard and 60% YAS version renderings. but maybe most of you want the caps to sink in more that just 1mm? so I guess I'll change that to 2mm before you get more renderings and detail?

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 19:06:14 »
Thanks for the reply. your form only had black color options so people didn't even have the option to suggest other colors. I guess I'm passionate about my color choices to voice them out. I might be in the minority as I like my keyboards fancy  :p

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 20:56:32 »
Actually I like to see a Stainless Steel version because there won't be any weight in this case so the material weight of SS will make this heavier compared to aluminum. And yes, I want to powder coat this to make this feel more industrial! So bare SS will do for me :thumb: (I really hope I can get bare though, I will powder coat this myself either in industrial gray or beige/ivory)
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 November 2017, 21:58:39 by jebbra »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 21:20:35 »
I'm totally fine with black or bare SS.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 00:26:48 »
OK,
let me give u a few more words regarding color. sliver and black are the two standard "colors" you can choose from when you want to anodize. the company I'm doing this at is not specialized at fancy color stuff (just like most of the others who do oberflächentechnik / surface treatment here). they do mostly silver/black, everything else is more expensive. I had a project where I did gold, but for a keyboard this is not going to happen - not with me. also the form clearly shows, that the vast majority is fine with black. however I will get some more info on how big the difference in price would be - but that does not mean I'm actually considering something other than black :)

so far 64 people have filled out the form, which is ok, i think. no doubt most of you want the high profile version (without wrist rest).

so here is another question regarding the high profile. forgot to put it into the form. I actually had mentioned this in the opening post already and I think I know what you want, but I wanna make sure. so the renders of the 75% hight-profile version (the one with the black keycaps) is an older version. caps start level with the frame. then I made changes, let the frame rise a little more so the caps sink in 1mm, that's what you see on the 60% standard and 60% YAS version renderings. but maybe most of you want the caps to sink in more that just 1mm? so I guess I'll change that to 2mm before you get more renderings and detail?

In my opinion, the deeper the keycaps sink into the case, the better.

Also, black is perfectly fine with me, preferred actually.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 10:35:10 »
I'm really digging the industrial feel of this case, nice work.  I agree stainless steel would be a really nice option otherwise black is fine.  Any chance you'd be able to source anodized screws to accent the case, such as these: https://www.moddiy.com/products/Premium-M3-x-6mm-Socket-Head-Anodized-Aluminum-Screw.html

I'd love to see a 75% case, but would probably do a tkl too.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 13:48:03 »
tkl   :thumb:

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 15:33:17 »
I'm really digging the industrial feel of this case, nice work.  I agree stainless steel would be a really nice option otherwise black is fine.  Any chance you'd be able to source anodized screws to accent the case, such as these: https://www.moddiy.com/products/Premium-M3-x-6mm-Socket-Head-Anodized-Aluminum-Screw.html

Super idee for the anodized screws! The industrial feel is very nice, and black case with a set of colored anozied screws to match our keyset would be super neat!

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 20:19:18 »
Tenkeyless layout would be very nice. Guess the folds would be too complicated?

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 09:29:40 »

+1

Offline luismonterieart

• https://miluxkey.com
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 09:50:15 »
I really love how this came out, would look amazing on my desk! :) :cool: :thumb:
Explore our world at

· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MiluxKey

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 10:09:55 »
I'd so be down for a medium profile 65% or TKL.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 10:13:14 »
Thread starter, is TKL even an option?

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 14:04:36 »
sorry for not using the quote option, think it makes everything so messy and hard to read.

@jabbra
3mm stainless steel would smash your desk!
right now the weight feels a little more than a standard pok3r. It also has a very good grip with the feet i currently use.
I know the trend is that all want the case to be super heavy. I personally often find myself switching to pen and paper, drag a notebook or small stack of paper to me and push the keyboard anyway in the direction of the monitor. I imagine going steel would feel like workout when trying to push it aside.
Also alu is a part of the whole design. if i went with steel I would at the same time approach the whole thing a little different.
but steel is not out of question, thank you for bringing it up, I'll think about it some more.
providing anyone who whishes with a bare/blank version will not be a problem for sure.

@stoic-lemon
btw, I'm one of your subscribers :)

@Kavik
next renders will show the updated version. they'll sink in 2mm.

@noobas4urus
thanks for the link. these particular ones would not work cause we need "countersunk" screws (googled, not sure if the translation is correct). but generally anodized screws is a really good suggestion. at first I thought NO, cause alu screws break much easier, but then again if they do it wouldn't be a big deal cause they are hold with nuts. no threads are drilled into the case. that's good because screws and nuts may break - the case will not be affected, just take new screws/nuts.
alu anodized screws would for sure cost more, but i consider it.

@cdn-mini
the size would not have an effect on the folds. the concept takes this into account. could easily be adapted even to full size. even spaces between rows would work.

@bluesclera
"Thread starter", yep, sorry "Plastikschnittstelle" is really not a convenient name to type. I suggest anyone can call me "plasni" from now on, hope that helps :)

is TKL even an option?
well, not really cause tkl pcbs are hard to get. it's in the form anyway cause i just like to know. don't worry, your vote is not lost, this first form is more to get some rough directions.

---

btw, I have linked to the imgur album in the opening post. but clearly some of you haven't read through the whole post (yeah I know, I'm just like that myself). so here again is the link to the pictures of the prototype which were taken at the mechanicon. bare in mind that this is the medium-profile-version which will NOT be made. form shows crystal clear we'll go for the high-profile-version. still I think they are important, cause I didn't take those pictures, so i think they can be considered unbiased.

https://i.imgur.com/Q1PnqJN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WEQ5bLL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZgwQFDx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tJAW6Ty.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HLM8Fts.jpg

like I had already explained in the opening post, the marks from the tooling will not be visible in the final product.

now some updates regarding the form:
- so far 82 have filled out
- all 60% versions combined are clearly in the lead
- second is 75% followed by 65%

I'm still working hard to bring you updates that will present you with a clearer path. that includes some negotiating with the manufacturer.

please know, that I won't have the time to answer here every day.
thank you all for the feedback and suggestions and please fill out the form if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 November 2017, 15:23:04 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 16:08:25 »
Thank you for all your work answering questions in here, are you deciding on one model only based on the form results or in consideration for more than one?

I know I speak just for me but there are so many 60% models available out there it would be so good to have something like this in another for factor to stand out from the others.

Again just my preference and I will be happy with whatever is produces. I love your project and will back it regardless of size :thumb:

Oh and ps: is numpad being considered also

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 16:15:14 »
are you deciding on one model only based on the form results or in consideration for more than one?

Oh and ps: is numpad being considered also

a) that's one of the most important things I'm still figuring out.

b) interesting, thanks! will be included in the next form

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 16:18:38 »
My perfect board is a small form factor 60-75% with a matching styled numpad! If this get made I WILL be in heaven

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 19:32:35 »
While this is not for me, I do want to chime in and say that the height adjustment system you have come up with is very clever. Good luck with this project!

Offline ioioioio

• ioioioio
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 21:19:25 »
make this 60% winkeyless possible please !

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 21:20:57 »

Dont you greedy 60% have enough options?

Offline ioioioio

• ioioioio
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 21:28:01 »

i just want my dream come true,man!:(

Offline ullr

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 21:47:28 »

I’ll stop shilling 60% when it stops being by far the best layout  ;)

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 23:18:33 »

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 05:07:02 »
looks like a bent m65

agreed

## 21
### @Puddsy
Oh, you don't know how much I enjoy answering to this comment.
The "look" of the case is not inspired by any other case. I don't have any specific look in mind when I start with a design. I had a concept in mind which I thought was worthy to explore. Construction, material and certain features make up the cornerstones which define the "look" or "style". look or style is what many mistakenly regard as design but to me design is the whole process from idea to final product. look/style is never the idea or inspiration to start a design.
Bending metal is not a new idea of course, but doing so with an overly high thickness and applying it in this context is something I haven't seen jet. Bending metal this thick leads to a certain edge radius and requires the frame to have a certain width; fitting the screw heads into the frame requires the frame to be even a little bit more wide. The case is not made to look like case XY, instead its look
derives entirely from choices like construction and material.

you're welcome.

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 14:52:00 »
Yes, I understand on the screw type, I just threw up a that link to show what I've seen around.

I found a source here for standard flat heads, there probably is a source in Europe some where for metric.  http://www.fastener-express.com/flat-head-socket-screws-red-anodized-aluminum.aspx

Even a contrast with stainless steel flat heads on the black anodizing might look pretty sharp.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 November 2017, 14:54:04 by noobas4urus »
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 11:45:25 »
Thank you for considering SS! Hope my table won't crushed  :p

About the "sunkeness" of the keycaps, can it controlled with some kind of washers on the plate's screw? I like the idea of 2mm sunk but I think it will be best used with Cherry profile, when I think about a 2mm sunken DSA it will looks kind of weird.

I will drop my thoughts here quite often because I like this design!
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 November 2017, 11:47:30 by jebbra »

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 15:34:23 »
yes, please do so!

damn, so many changes, new renderings, takes sooo long. had hoped to finish it this weekend, but it's a lot more work than I thought. hope it's done by tuesday or wednesday.

Offline need

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 16:36:05 »
Yes please do 2mm, that's the sweet spot for both flat profile and cherry profile. If it's done at 1mm, when viewed at an angle there will still be an obvious gap.

Anyway I think the cherry profile should take priority for a German made keyboard... ^-^

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 16:41:15 »
YEP, 2 mm it is.
also I made the lower 6 degree angle possible - a lot seem to like it. That caused quite some changes, bu it think I was able to incorporate it quite well.

Offline need

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 16:44:09 »
YEP, 2 mm it is.
also I made the lower 6 degree angle possible - a lot seem to like it. That caused quite some changes, bu it think I was able to incorporate it quite well.

Thank you! 6mm sounds absolutely perfect.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 18:28:48 »
awesome but also expensive CNC aluminium cases.

Why not CNC?   Keyboard enthusiasts don't care about costs. We would pay whatever you want for a nice 65% case.

Because variety is the spice of life!
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case (another Google Form is up)
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 10:17:18 »
uff, that was a lot of work. some design updates, new renderings, second form as well as an updated and slightly restructured opening post. really painful managing this here on GH :(

we are at a crossroad now. A or B? please read about it in the updated opening, fill out the new form and let me know what you think here. thanks for your participation in the form (119 votes so far) and your help here.

Offline bluesclera

Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case (2nd Google Form up)
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 10:24:50 »
Overall i like it but i will hold out for a TKL ver.

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 12:39:55 »
Am I blind I cannot find the new form (on mobile)

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 13:05:43 »
Hate 60% cant get any real work done on those. Also not loving the elevated screws.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 13:05:53 »
YAS62 with 6.25 spacebar and calzones all the way

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 15:27:02 »
Goodluck OP I am out there far to many 60% cases for less then 100bucks as is. I mean can name a few right off the bat.

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/case/products/customized-gh60-aluminum-case <-- 45 bucks and is 60%
https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/case/products/mechanical-keyboard-shell-anode-aluminum-shell-gh60-poker-60-mechanical-keyboard-shell <--- 73
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1002 <--- 69
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=629 <--- 119

I know the original attention was to bring something cheaper and unique to the market least that what I thought you where shooting for. I am not sure thought it will be cheaper unless you can some how break the 45 dollar barrier. Unique still but was really hoping for something outside the 60% form factor we always see and as you can tell.. there are a multitude of options at various prices ranges.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 15:42:38 »
Goodluck OP I am out there far to many 60% cases for less then 100bucks as is...

Don’t know why I’m even joining this debate tbh but this was originally planned to be YAS62 for which only one case currently exists.

What ever gets chosen now is based on people’s choice.

Either way, no reason to catch feelings

Offline mudcakehoney

[IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case (2nd Google Form up)
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 15:48:47 »
I worry this will go the way of snowflake, that had a GB recently that ended up with only 1 order and had to cancel. There are just so many 60% boards at the moment. You do have a unique form and this may set it apart. GL I hope this successful and will see you for the 65% or 75% version :thumb:

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 17:39:09 »
I'd really love to offer everybody his favored solution, but at some point I'll have to make a choice and no matter what that choice may be there will always be someone not happy with it. I myself would be very happy with 75% as well as I have two nice 75% PCBs laying around here waiting to be put to use. But as you already know I'm fine with 60% too, since two YAS PCB's are also soon to be mine.
let me just show you the results of the form regarding the sizes:

182323-0

all 60% together are clearly in the lead. however if the new form will not favor the "everybody gets his 60" way, then 75% will be the single most favored version.

so let's wait and see. I really need more opinions on that.

I'm really not sure at the moment which way will lead to the best solution.
Btw the new screws is no set thing, more a try.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 November 2017, 17:46:44 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 17:41:57 »
Goodluck OP I am out there far to many 60% cases for less then 100bucks as is. I mean can name a few right off the bat.

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/case/products/customized-gh60-aluminum-case <-- 45 bucks and is 60%
https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/case/products/mechanical-keyboard-shell-anode-aluminum-shell-gh60-poker-60-mechanical-keyboard-shell <--- 73
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1002 <--- 69
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=629 <--- 119

I know the original attention was to bring something cheaper and unique to the market least that what I thought you where shooting for. I am not sure thought it will be cheaper unless you can some how break the 45 dollar barrier. Unique still but was really hoping for something outside the 60% form factor we always see and as you can tell.. there are a multitude of options at various prices ranges.

These cases are all just one part, without a plate and in the opening post you can read why I dislike these kind of cases and what my solution has to offer that these don't.
I'm aware there are already countless 60% cases out there, and yes many of them are quite cheap already. I extensively explained my motives designing this case and why I regard it as valuable. I'm not just trying to go for cheap here. Its concept, construction and features should make it an attractive alternative to much higher priced cases.
Everyone has to decide for her/himself if the concept I present is convincing.

The more relevant point here is that even if i might convince you, you might still not hop on to a 60% because you're just fed up with them. That's indeed a point to consider.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 November 2017, 17:56:45 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 17:56:26 »
I'd really love to offer everybody his favored solution, but at some point I'll have to make a choice and no matter what that choice may be there will always be someone not happy with it. I myself would be very happy with 75% as well as I have two nice 75% PCBs laying around here waiting to be put to use. But as you already know I'm fine with 60% too, since two YAS PCB's are also soon to be mine.
let me just show you the results of the form regarding the sizes:

(Attachment Link)

all 60% together are clearly in the lead. however if the new form will not favor the "everybody gets his 60" way, then 75% will be the single most favored version.

so let's wait and see. I really need more opinions on that.

I'm really not sure at the moment which way will lead to the best solution.
Btw the new screws is no set thing, more a try.

75% ftw
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline menuhin

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 18:24:17 »
I voted for 60% (YAS and “HHKB” with 7u space) on the latest Google form,
But I want a top-mount 75% real bad.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 18:57:19 »
I’m down with both 60 or 75, but my top choice is definitely YAS.
(Not so many arrowed 60 cases out there)

As you said Plastik you can’t match everyone’s taste, but this design is unique enough to make those who are into it happy regardless of layout.

Unfortunately those unhappy will always voice their opinion the loudest.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 20:36:03 »
In my opinion flat head anodised screws will look better. This way they will be sitting flush with the case surface.

Offline ullr

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 21:18:24 »
Personally I liked the look with the gray, flush screws

But what do I know

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 22:23:16 »
Not sure about the screw not countersunk anymore :/

Edit: WHY YOU MUST ASK BETWEEN PIZZA AND CALZONE  :-X

About layout, I primarily use XD75RE, but maybe I'm the only one here, so if possible I wanna ask the drawing of the outer cut of the plate and I can draw the switch hole and cut myself (or the reverse, I send you the drawing of the switch hole and you edit the drawing and send it back to me).
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 November 2017, 22:26:49 by jebbra »