Author Topic: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)  (Read 98319 times)

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case (2nd Google Form up)
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 01:20:30 »
I'm definetely join for 60% especially for YAS62.
I know there's many people who wouldn't agree with this layout because hard to grab PCB after missed GB. But i can throw 70 extras PCB after i'm done shipping all PCB from last GB.

Offline Marutks

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 16:28:18 »
I am interested in YAS62 if it will be possible to get PCB later.
6u or 6.25u spacebar.   There was no 6.25u option on your google form !

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 12:25:13 »
Not sure about the screw not countersunk anymore :/

Edit: WHY YOU MUST ASK BETWEEN PIZZA AND CALZONE  :-X

About layout, I primarily use XD75RE, but maybe I'm the only one here, so if possible I wanna ask the drawing of the outer cut of the plate and I can draw the switch hole and cut myself (or the reverse, I send you the drawing of the switch hole and you edit the drawing and send it back to me).

the new flathead screws:
well I'm not really sure on that. the countersunk screws are of course nicer, but also a lot more extra work (drilling 12times per top-part). I thought it might help to keep the price low. you would also have more options to replace the screws for other models if you'd like to, afterwards.
again - not decided yet.

your own plate:
that would be no problem at all.
as soon as it is 100% sure that no more design changes will happen, i can send you (or just post for all) the CAD data for the plate.

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 12:33:47 »
I'm definetely join for 60% especially for YAS62.
I know there's many people who wouldn't agree with this layout because hard to grab PCB after missed GB. But i can throw 70 extras PCB after i'm done shipping all PCB from last GB.

silentreader and I have discussed this.
If there is enough interest for a YAS version, then we'll work out some kind of bundle for you. then it would be possible for all who want YAS&SKB60H to get it in one order and a single delivery, so you won't have to pay shipping twice.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 November 2017, 12:41:05 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 12:37:19 »

yes, sorry, that was a confusing move from me. thought 6.25U spacebar version would be less interesting cause it has only two modifier keys to the left of the spacebar. where would you program your fn key on this version? to capslock, like possible on poker boards?

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 12:50:42 »

yes, sorry, that was a confusing move from me. thought 6.25U spacebar version would be less interesting cause it has only two modifier keys to the left of the spacebar. where would you program your fn key on this version? to capslock, like possible on poker boards?

Well YAS62 have 6 different layout plate + if this case run for 60% there will be more different plate too for another layout like standard 60% and HHKB and i think it will cost to much from factory.
So to face that problem why don't try use universal plate for all layout case like this one

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 13:00:25 »
Screws need to be countersunk imo. This is a pretty big thing to me, even if it adds cost, since flat head screw will make the hole case look cheap.

YAS62 Bundle would be much appreciated, already have 4pcbs coming so definitely count me in for multiple yas62 cases.
6.25 and 6 Space are actually my preferred layout and I personally always map fn to caps lock.

Regarding Plate, full universal plate like Silent postet might be an issue since this is a top mount case, so the plate actually needs to support pcb switches etc.

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 13:18:23 »
@FoC_Tow
regarding the screws:
you might be right.

plate:
I'm still trying to figure out how much different plate versions I would be able to offer without letting the price explode.
Universal in terms of "will fit also bottom mount cases" is of course not possible. in my case the plate is top mount.
but I will of course have to unify layouts to some degree.
a plate that makes all non split versions of YAS possible would look for example like this:
182422-0
the larger space at the sides should give more stability, even with bigger cutouts for the bottom row.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 November 2017, 13:20:12 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 06:37:32 »
OK, after some consultation with the manufacturer I'm now planning to offer all 60% versions AS WELL AS 75%. I assume that the different versions won't cannibalize each other. Also, making a combined order is cheaper than making separate runs for 60% and 75% cases.
There are so many 75% PCBs available from china, but unlike 60% there are not a lot cases to choose from.

I'm considering sandblasting before anodizing to get a very high end. Depends on how much it would impact the final price and your feedback.

I'd hope to get some more opinions regarding countersunk vs flathead screws.

Next up I will do new renderings of the 75% version (probably next week).

Then I'll have to find out how much orders there will be. Only then I can name a reliable price.
Another (third) form will help to find that out. This form will probably also let you choose your preferred plate/layout. This still needs time since I haven't quite figured out jet how the balance between unified and specialized will look like. It will be a lot of work for me, I don't thinks GBs offer different plates/layouts to choose from most of the time.

Offline mudcakehoney

Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case [60% + 75%] (2nd Google Form up)
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 06:45:19 »
This is great news! If it could fit the kbd75 plate and pcb that would be amazing, but I’m in either way :thumb:

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 06:52:05 »
No, a plate like the one from the kbd75 will never fit. in my case the plate is top mounted which is a different approach to the way its done in the kbd75 for example. bottom vs top mount makes a huge difference and beeng top mount is one of the very important characteristics/features of my case. please be aware of this.

here is a quote from my opening post:
"Especially the mounting of the plate at its outer edges (top case side) was very important to me. The other approach with some scattered standoff points reaching from the back, through the PCB is something I very much dislike. On the one hand this commonly used approach allows for a thin frame, but on the other hand it influences the typing experience in a bad way. I might be wrong here but the "edge-mounting-method" (top-mount) is the way I want to go with."

the PCB of course, sure, any 75% PCB will fit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 November 2017, 06:55:23 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 07:05:38 »
Countersunk is the way to go. I presume the sheet metal approach preclude the use of socket head screws, since there isn't enough thickness to counterbore screw holes and have them sit flush once assembled.

I personally do not enjoy the aesthetic look of pan headed screws that stick proud of the plate, therefore countersunk would be my vote (another plus is that countersunk fasteners are self centralising)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 07:11:18 »
the three mm thickness is more than enough for countersunk screws. actually because i wanted countersunk screws so badly at the beginning, they are the reason I pumped up the thickness to 3mm. then I realized it makes a pretty unique look as well.

but flathead screws have their own advantages and I think they also fit the whole style pretty well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 November 2017, 07:13:23 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 09:11:56 »
+1 Definitely Countersunk.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 10:33:43 »
the three mm thickness is more than enough for countersunk screws. actually because i wanted countersunk screws so badly at the beginning, they are the reason I pumped up the thickness to 3mm. then I realized it makes a pretty unique look as well.

but flathead screws have their own advantages and I think they also fit the whole style pretty well.

I agree with you with regard to countersunk screws. I was talking about socket heads which requires a counterbore though. 3mm is usually not deep enough for counterboring

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 11:26:20 »
I agree with you with regard to countersunk screws. I was talking about socket heads which requires a counterbore though. 3mm is usually not deep enough for counterboring

ah,  you mean "socket heads", sorry not familiar with the english names, had to google it. right, they don't fit. M3 socket head would require exactly 3mm itself to make it flush.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 21:45:26 »
I just realized countersunk m3 is available in colors other then black (which I have around for Pc builds)

Purple anyone? =)

Offline mtzgr

• My youtube
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 18:03:13 »
OK, after some consultation with the manufacturer I'm now planning to offer all 60% versions AS WELL AS 75%.

Awesome! Will definitely be picking up a 75. :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 19:13:15 »
+1 to countersunk screws. Not sure if it's a deal breaker having flat head, but would greatly prefer countersunk.

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 20:04:12 »
@PlastikSchnittstelle - Some American screw terminology for you:

The current renderings have what is commonly referred to as a button head socket screw.  This is the type with a low bump profile. 

Socket cap screws have the high bump profile.

Flathead, or countersunk, screws sit flush, like the first batch of renderings.  These can come in philips, straight slot, socket head (like the first renderings), etc.

Socket screws, socket cap screws, socket head screws, or Allen screws are all different ways to call screws with the hexagon socket.  You can mix and match these and people will get the idea.

I'm a little surprised you went with button heads on the latest rendering.  I think it goes nicely with the industrial feel but I see the appeal of flat heads.  Not a deal breaker for me either way, but I too think flat heads would look the best.

Awesome news on the 75% front!

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 November 2017, 20:06:31 by noobas4urus »
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 12:13:49 »
I didn't know that flathead and countersunk are the same.
Thank you for pointing this out:
yes the currents renderings show "button head screws".
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 November 2017, 12:16:55 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 12:29:37 »
After the new renderings of the 75% are done, I'll direct the discussion to the plate and layouts.

I will try to determine which layouts have the biggest common denominator - those will get their own, non-universal plate. less popular layout wishes will be condensed to a unified plate.

I think this way most of you will have the chance to get a perfectly fitting and uncompromising plate.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 13:15:17 »
75% is nice, not too fussed with the bottom row layout as long as ISO is an option (though my usual preference is for 75% boards is with 7u spacebar)

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 13:18:09 »
though my usual preference is for 75% boards is with 7u spacebar

mine as well, hope many others will see it that way too :)

Offline need

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 14:39:40 »
Also prefer 7u spacebar, and with some 1.5u bottom-row modifiers.

Offline apejonk

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 16:23:58 »
Super Idee und sehr hübsch noch dazu! :D Having a 60%  case with bezel that is kind of affordable is a dream come true. As a vanilla kind of guy I hope a standard row, 60% case is happening. But I'm confused, would such a case fit a pok3r PCB?
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, stepped control users, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 1:5)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 16:33:42 »
Super Idee und sehr hübsch noch dazu! :D Having a 60%  case with bezel that is kind of affordable is a dream come true. As a vanilla kind of guy I hope a standard row, 60% case is happening. But I'm confused, would such a case fit a pok3r PCB?

pok3r PCB aswell as pretty much any 60 PCB will fit.

However since the case is top mount you can’t use default 60% plates.
This means if you disassemble a poker for the pcb you will have to desolder all the switches to change the plate, which is probably not worth the trouble.
Just get any 60 pcb to build with =)

Regarding the layout I’m pretty sure Plastik will add standard layout support.
Current Idea is to make specific plates for most popular layouts aswell as a universal one to cover everything else.

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 16:42:09 »

pok3r PCB aswell as pretty much any 60 PCB will fit.

However since the case is top mount you can’t use default 60% plates.
This means if you disassemble a poker for the pcb you will have to desolder all the switches to change the plate, which is probably not worth the trouble.
Just get any 60 pcb to build with =)

Regarding the layout I’m pretty sure Plastik will add standard layout support.
Current Idea is to make specific plates for most popular layouts aswell as a universal one to cover everything else.

all true, thanks for jumping in  :thumb:

Offline apejonk

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 16:50:52 »
Thank you both for your answers! :) But please have some patience with me. If I get your answer right then the pok3r plate would be fine? Because there are holes in the plate above all the screws.
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, stepped control users, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 1:5)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 17:03:35 »
Thank you both for your answers! :) But please have some patience with me. If I get your answer right then the pok3r plate would be fine? Because there are holes in the plate above all the screws.

Not exactly,
pok3r pcb is fine but plate is not.

pok3r plate has holes to screw the pcb directly to the bottom of the case in a few spots (tray mount)

This case however is top mount, so the plate it self is screwed to the top of the case.
Therefore the Plate extends slightly further out and has screwholes on the outside that lineup with the case.

Top mount is generally considered to be the better option in terms of feel/sound aswell as from a technical standpoint.
However this means plates are made to match the case and don’t follow 60% standard (which basically means pok3r style tray mount).

Kinda confusing but hope this helps =)
Check the pics of the plate on page 1 for reference

Offline apejonk

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 17:19:44 »
Okay I get it :D Thank you for the explanation! But my initial point is still valid, I'm very interested!

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 17:36:29 »
@FoC_Tow:
thanks very much, couldn't have explained it any better.

here are some detail shots:

182666-0 182668-1 182670-2
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 November 2017, 17:38:00 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 17:51:47 »
Very cool concept.  I will be watching this one. 

+1 for standard hhkb or poker/pure layout.   :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline mtzgr

• My youtube
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 01:37:04 »
I think you should keep the button screws.  :p

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 20:08:37 »
@FoC_Tow:
thanks very much, couldn't have explained it any better.

here are some detail shots:

[attach=1

Thanks man =)

And wow, button head screws do look pretty smexy aswell actually.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 23:39:16 »
Is the option of steel vs aluminum still open?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 01:13:39 »
I think you should keep the button screws.  :p

I agree. They give it an extra industrial look.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 10:16:53 »
is was asked if a "true" HHKB style bottom row, with asymmetrical blockers will also be available.
I thought that is not possible with the GH60satan PCBs or am I mistaken here?
If this layout is achievable with one of the widely available PCBs, then I'll consider it.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 10:34:45 »
is was asked if a "true" HHKB style bottom row, with asymmetrical blockers will also be available.
I thought that is not possible with the GH60satan PCBs or am I mistaken here?
If this layout is achievable with one of the widely available PCBs, then I'll consider it.

There definitely are PCBs supporting this, but it’s very rare as far as I know.

Tbh I can’t think of a single one except for Spirits acrylic cases/pcbs.

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 10:54:55 »

thanks, so I think I'll better leave it out.

here are the results regarding the plate material:
182853-0

although more want alu I first wanted to go with steel anyway. BUT: I did renderings with a blank steel plate and the blank steel shines/reflects very intense through the gaps between the caps. I'd prefer it to be dark/no-light/shadowy between the caps, think you know what I mean. so alu anodized just like the top and bottom parts would be the best fit in my opinion.

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:17:21 »
PLATE LAYOUTS!

I had mentioned my plans regarding the plate layouts before. I'll put up another form to determine what the most popular layouts are. The most popular layouts will get a dedicated, non-universal plate!!!
the less popular ones will be bundled together in a universal plate.
before I'll put up a form for this I wanna get you opinions about the layouts that should be up to choose from. wanna sort out mistakes before the form so it wont be confusing. so this is what I think would be up to choose from:
60% options:
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 13:39:40 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:21:10 »
PLATE LAYOUTS!

I had mentioned my plans regarding the plate layouts before. I'll put up another form to determine what the most popular layouts are. The most popular layouts will get a dedicated, non-universal plate!!!
the less popular ones will be bundled together in a universal plate.
before I'll put up a form for this I wanna get you opinions about the layouts that should be up to choose from. wanna sort out mistakes before the form so it wont be confusing. so this is what I think would be up to choose from:
60% options:

Wait, no YAS? ;______;

Is YAS Support removed or will there be a universal YAS plate?

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:24:00 »
@FOC_Tow:
be patient, just didn't want to make one huge post. rather split the versions up. 75 will follow shortly ;)

if you haven't realized already: silentreader and me are planing to work out a combined shipping for all who want YAS. probably also more YAS PCBs. if you aren't part of the YAS GB and want one, then please comment.
now the options for the YAS PCB (yes, missing is for all the version with 2x1U instead of the 2U-Backspace):
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:25:36 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:34:37 »

thanks, so I think I'll better leave it out.

here are the results regarding the plate material:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

although more want alu I first wanted to go with steel anyway. BUT: I did renderings with a blank steel plate and the blank steel shines/reflects very intense through the gaps between the caps. I'd prefer it to be dark/no-light/shadowy between the caps, think you know what I mean. so alu anodized just like the top and bottom parts would be the best fit in my opinion.

I'm part of the 48%, quite a high number to ignore imho. The benefits of steel over aluminum is numerous and personally i dont mind the shine and wouldnt there be an option to coat the steel plate?

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:35:27 »
and now the expected options for 75%:

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:41:06 »
I'm part of the 48%, quite a high number to ignore imho. The benefits of steel over aluminum is numerous and personally i dont mind the shine and wouldnt there be an option to coat the steel plate?

coating the steel plate black would of course be possible. BUT: the added layer of coating might make it pretty difficult to get the switches in - I'd like to avoid possible problems like this.
also, I think that steel is very important when u have a universal plate with lots of big cutouts. there the higher strength of steel is very much needed. but since I'll offer specialized/non-unified plates AND my plate has a pretty wide border cause of it being top-mount, alu should be absolutely fine.

and: 52.1% VS 47.9%
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:43:12 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:47:33 »
so now, I need all to check if your desired layout is part of the ones I just postet. If there are layouts which I missed, let me know, best you would post a pic from keyboard layout editor like i did. if it's not too exotic it will also be available in an upcomming form which will decide which layouts will get custom plates and which will get unified plates.

note:
you don't need to decide between centered vs stepped capslock. ALL plates will have a cutout to support both.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 12:02:36 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case [60% + 75%] (NOW: PLATE LAYOUTS)
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 13:27:16 »
quick update regarding HHKB.
Until now I wasn't aware, that also 6U "true HHKB" isn't hard to do. there are PCBs for that available too, like the DZ60 for example. btw here is the link to a really nice keycap GB which is especially tailored to HHKB: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92210.0
so for all who are interested in an HHKB version, please let me know which would be more to your liking, 7U or 6U:
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 13:29:32 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 14:35:20 »
I just updated the opening post with new renderings of the 75% version.
There you also see another screw version, which someone pointed out to me. These ones (not the M3 version in the pic):

I totally fell in love with them!
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 14:38:41 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 14:40:55 »
I just updated the opening post with new renderings of the 75% version.
There you also see another screw version, which someone pointed out to me. These ones (not the M3 version in the pic):
(Attachment Link)
I totally fell in love with them!

Those screws look terrible, even worse than the dome screws. Bring back the sunken screws!