Author Topic: Post your PCBs!  (Read 32517 times)

Offline KTKM

Re: Post your PCBs!
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 04:05:07 »
Per suggestion (I didn't know this thread existed) here are some of the PCB designs I've done in the past.  Some are functional electronics, others are, well, "special" :)

Show Image

This was the puzzle badge for Defcon 20.  The top part was a fully developed dev platform, complete with PS2 keyboard, VGA, mouse and mic.

Show Image

Did a set of playing cards, fabricated PCBs.  All the art was done in the free version of Eagle just to see if I could do it.  For those not familiar, it's NOT graphic design software :)

Show Image

Close up of some of the playing card PCBs.  Wired magazine did a write up of them.

Show Image

Defcon 22 circuit board badge.  Note the double rows of through holes on each side- some of the pads are square, some are round, it was an encoded secret message :)

Show Image

More of the Defcon 22 badges

Show Image

Skull done as copper layer on PCB

That's probably enough for now.  After Defcon this year I will continue work on doing a keyboard PCB with art/colors as part of the PCB...it's going to be kind of a pet project...

You're Ryan Clarke?!

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/defcon-2014-badges-revealed/

Those are really cool, is there a way to order any of them?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 09:44:19 »
That was a good read KTKM. That is some impressive pcb design 1o57.
Where did you learn that? Do you design these things for a living?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 14:15:46 »
Yes, I'm Ryan.  Nice to meet you.

Per suggestion (I didn't know this thread existed) here are some of the PCB designs I've done in the past.  Some are functional electronics, others are, well, "special" :)

Show Image

This was the puzzle badge for Defcon 20.  The top part was a fully developed dev platform, complete with PS2 keyboard, VGA, mouse and mic.

Show Image

Did a set of playing cards, fabricated PCBs.  All the art was done in the free version of Eagle just to see if I could do it.  For those not familiar, it's NOT graphic design software :)

Show Image

Close up of some of the playing card PCBs.  Wired magazine did a write up of them.

Show Image

Defcon 22 circuit board badge.  Note the double rows of through holes on each side- some of the pads are square, some are round, it was an encoded secret message :)

Show Image

More of the Defcon 22 badges

Show Image

Skull done as copper layer on PCB

That's probably enough for now.  After Defcon this year I will continue work on doing a keyboard PCB with art/colors as part of the PCB...it's going to be kind of a pet project...

You're Ryan Clarke?!

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/defcon-2014-badges-revealed/

Those are really cool, is there a way to order any of them?

Offline KTKM

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 11:50:35 »

Nice to meet you too, so after reading the article I really want to try to solve those badges, is there a way to get them?

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 19:02:36 »

Nice to meet you too, so after reading the article I really want to try to solve those badges, is there a way to get them?

So the badges are part of a greater contest whole- I'd hate to point you at spoilers, but there have been a number of Wikis and walk-through write-up put online by people who follow my contests...

I'd be happy to send you a badge though.

I was supposed to send one to someone else here, but I don't remember who (it's my busy season, getting ready for Defcon THIS year...

PM me info if you want me to send you a badge...

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 02:09:54 »
A87

Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline KTKM

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 03:05:57 »
So the badges are part of a greater contest whole- I'd hate to point you at spoilers, but there have been a number of Wikis and walk-through write-up put online by people who follow my contests...

That's fine since I read that clues are shown in contest, I might not be able to solve it without those clues.

Thanks a lot, I'm sending you a PM.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 16:31:53 »
A87

Show Image

I have one signed by GON inside my GON :D

I love Elzy

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 15:41:53 »
After 29 board revisions and 5 test prints of old board versions, it is finally ready for production.  The parts are boxed up, the quote is obtained, and the printers are ready.  My second circuit board is about to be printed and assembled.

Behold all of the KiCAD beauty.  The next time you see it, I will have 150 of them built up and looking sexy.

Offline KTKM

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:52:41 »
After 29 board revisions and 5 test prints of old board versions, it is finally ready for production.  The parts are boxed up, the quote is obtained, and the printers are ready.  My second circuit board is about to be printed and assembled.

Show Image

Behold all of the KiCAD beauty.  The next time you see it, I will have 150 of them built up and looking sexy.

What is that supposed to be?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:54:43 »

Show Image

What is that supposed to be?

It is a control board to be used for an array of wireless sensors.  It is also a giant fancy arduino mega.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:15:13 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:51:17 »
The man making puzzles for hackers

I literally just read that article. Holy **** this guy is on our keyboard forum. :P
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 20:06:37 »
Yeah I was not expecting the BBC to interview me~

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 23:03:08 »
PCB that was on my Koala. I wondered why the stabs felt so nice, and I figured out why.
^4EA39BFC0BC8FEA7A2AA1ADF483D04FC6B3E847203D074AFE2^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr by skurela, on Flickr

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 00:23:37 »
Some projects I am working on:

1. Prototype keyboard for mostly learning purposes
2. Audio amp project that I screwed up so much that it killed my ipod what I plugged in

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:30:33 »

2. Audio amp project that I screwed up so much that it killed my ipod what I plugged in

2. Ouch.  That is an expensive loss.  I wish you luck and learning.

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:32:29 »

2. Ouch.  That is an expensive loss.  I wish you luck and learning.
Thanks I'm thinking of sharing what went wrong. Definitely need to learn to be more patient haha

Offline joey

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 17:13:35 »
First PCB design:

Having that light up for the first time was awesome!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 20:54:34 »
Wow, Ive been here for almost two years and somehow never realized this thread existed.

Filco 87 key PCB attached to a stainless steel plate

White Phantom PCB along with an old school black Phantom PCB

And finally, the PCB of the JD40 I built a while back

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 16:27:24 »
Some of the PCBs I designed came in the mail today.

It is so satisfactory to see everything wave soldered on and looking shiny.  There are still over a hundred more boards to come, but those won't be here for another few days. 

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 16:35:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

It is so satisfactory to see everything wave soldered on and looking shiny.  There are still over a hundred more boards to come, but those won't be here for another few days.

Those look great. What are they for?

E: just realised you got asked this in the other thread. I like this thread though.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 16:38:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

E: just realised you got asked this in the other thread. I like this thread though.

It says Small Mesh Sensor Board.  Must be for some research, though I'm not sure exactly what the test method is or what equipment this would pair with.  Cool stuff though, building a custom board for a research group.  :thumb:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 16:46:50 »
Teensy 6.0, j/k.

those do look cool tho!

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 17:42:14 »

It says Small Mesh Sensor Board.  Must be for some research, though I'm not sure exactly what the test method is or what equipment this would pair with.  Cool stuff though, building a custom board for a research group.  :thumb:

I'll post an explanation here with a little more detail than the Mail Show and Tell thread.

These are the communication and control boards for a mesh networked sensor array.  About 130 sensors are going to put out into the middle of nowhere - a drilling site in the panhandle of Texas.  The sensors are going to detect CO_2, CH_4, p, t, and Rh.  There is also going to be a sensor unit in a UAV that will patrol the skies above.  The sensors will all communicate with each other in an XBee mesh network.  The sensors will coordinate data packets and send them to a home base through a cell phone network.  At the home computer, we can make neat 2D graphs of the data collected in real time (3D if we incorporate the UAV data).  The point of the sensor is to detect and track gas leaks as they form plumes and blow away.  Hopefully, at the real world field site, we won't detect anything, because the area we are monitoring is used to store excess CO_2.  A plume would cause a cloud-kill effect.  But while we are testing the sensors, we can do all sorts of fun things with tracking clouds.  That isn't my part of the project, but it will be neat.

So this board is the command board.  An ATmega 2560 controls all the things happening.  There is an XBee modem slot as well for the communication.  The board has several power converter circuits, since our solar power will come in at 12 V, but we need to supply 3.3 V, 4 V, 5 V, higher current 5 V, and 12 V to various parts of the sensors and components.  The board has a real time clock, external oscillator, SPI, ICSP, 11 monitoring A/D inputs, a pot. to adjust a pump, 1024 kb serial eeprom, and an (Alps) SD card interface.  Everything else is wiring for the sensors house on a breakout board connected at the 20 pin header (I've posted it here before, it has the 3D printed crap on it) which routes through some level translators.

I'm currently writing the section of my dissertation on the design and construction of this board, so I could go on for ages.  The schematic description alone is 9 pages already.  This has been a huge ****ing project, especially since going into it I didn't know anything about circuits, CAD, or 3D printing - yet now I am competent.  Trial by fire indeed.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 17:45:37 »

I'll post an explanation here with a little more detail than the Mail Show and Tell thread.

These are the communication and control boards for a mesh networked sensor array.  About 130 sensors are going to put out into the middle of nowhere - a drilling site in the panhandle of Texas.  The sensors are going to detect CO_2, CH_4, p, t, and Rh.  There is also going to be a sensor unit in a UAV that will patrol the skies above.  The sensors will all communicate with each other in an XBee mesh network.  The sensors will coordinate data packets and send them to a home base through a cell phone network.  At the home computer, we can make neat 2D graphs of the data collected in real time (3D if we incorporate the UAV data).  The point of the sensor is to detect and track gas leaks as they form plumes and blow away.  Hopefully, at the real world field site, we won't detect anything, because the area we are monitoring is used to store excess CO_2.  A plume would cause a cloud-kill effect.  But while we are testing the sensors, we can do all sorts of fun things with tracking clouds.  That isn't my part of the project, but it will be neat.

So this board is the command board.  An ATmega 2560 controls all the things happening.  There is an XBee modem slot as well for the communication.  The board has several power converter circuits, since our solar power will come in at 12 V, but we need to supply 3.3 V, 4 V, 5 V, higher current 5 V, and 12 V to various parts of the sensors and components.  The board has a real time clock, external oscillator, SPI, ICSP, 11 monitoring A/D inputs, a pot. to adjust a pump, 1024 kb serial eeprom, and an (Alps) SD card interface.  Everything else is wiring for the sensors house on a breakout board connected at the 20 pin header (I've posted it here before, it has the 3D printed crap on it) which routes through some level translators.

I'm currently writing the section of my dissertation on the design and construction of this board, so I could go on for ages.  The schematic description alone is 9 pages already.  This has been a huge ****ing project, especially since going into it I didn't know anything about circuits, CAD, or 3D printing - yet now I am competent.  Trial by fire indeed.

That's badass! I knew you worked for the NSA or something.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 17:58:23 »

That's basically what I said.  But I guess you went into a bit more detail or whatever.

It says Small Mesh Sensor Board.

Sounds fun though.  :D  Cool stuff.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 05:55:11 »

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome!

I could never imagine myself designing something like that :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ