Author Topic: Post Your Infinity Keyboard  (Read 24722 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Post Your Infinity Keyboard
« on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 12:56:19 »
Massdrop released their Infinity Keyboard Kit in October 2014. The keyboard was designed by Haataa and uses the MC HCK micro controller, which is fully programmable. The built-in layout is similar to the to the Happy Hacking Keyboard (HHKB), but retains all the standard modifiers.

There were two layouts offered, Standard with a 6.25x spacebar and Hacker with a 6x spacebar, each with a custom plate/case for that layout. Later in the group buy, there was a plate only option so that you could use a standard Poker style case.

Since this is a new keyboard and I didn't see a picture thread for it yet, I figured I'd go ahead and start one.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: Post Your Infinity Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 12:56:29 »
I haven't been able to do much in the way of building, or working on keyboards recently due to work, but when my Infinity arrived last week, I couldn't wait to dig into it. It was a very straightforward build and couldn't have been easier. I think this is great keyboard for someone building up their first board. Assembly instructions show you just how fast and easy it is.

I opted for stock Cherry MX-Clear switches and then used CTRL ALT's Nostalgia GH60 key cap set since I knew it had all the keys and profiles that I needed. I went with the Standard design and the HHKB layout feels exactly like you'd expect -- the only difference is that there are 3 extra keys, which works for me.

Today is my first day driving the board, but I like it a lot thus far. It's a very solid feel, which is surprising, but there's a lot of differences from my daily driver (Poker X, MX-Black, SA Caps), so I'll need more time to get truly comfortable.

I've posted a full gallery of photos on Flickr, but below are a couple of shots.

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:07:52 by mashby »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 12:58:31 »
So I see you're still on the "mashby buys every 60% board" plan mashby :)). Looking forward to your build buddy :D.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:01:07 »

don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:09:33 »
@PunksDead -- Are those MX-Whites, or MX-Clears? Also, what made you choose to go with an MX-Blue for the "fn" key? And is that another blue on the spacebar, or MX-Black?

@CPTBadAss -- Yes, my addiction apparently has no limits when it comes to 60% -- at least not yet.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:11:17 by mashby »

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:24:32 »
@PunksDead -- Are those MX-Whites, or MX-Clears? Also, what made you choose to go with an MX-Blue for the "fn" key? And is that another blue on the spacebar, or MX-Black?

@CPTBadAss -- Yes, my addiction apparently has no limits when it comes to 60% -- at least not yet.
Looks like Gateron Blue to me? and Gateron Black spacebar?
null

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:26:29 »

I expect nothing less from a man who gave a 45 minute presentation outlining his love for 60% boards.  :))

:-*

Oh and on-topic, nice pics mashby and Punks!  Sort of regretting letting this board pass by.  Looks like a fun little kit.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:37:36 »

Went with mx clears, a gateron blue on the Fn "for a fun click" and a gateron black on the spacebar for a linear feel. Really enjoying this board so far, its was my first "build" so i tried to have some fun mixing switches :)
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 15:29:04 »
I hate you guys. Mine was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but UPS is ****ing out due to a little snow :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 15:34:38 »
I really like this, and I hope to join it soon, well, as soon as I get my kit.  8)

Offline JackMills

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 15:45:06 »
I even haven't got any shipping confirmation.
They look great, did you guys try to remap the layout? If so how did that work out?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 16:55:19 »

Went with mx clears, a gateron blue on the Fn "for a fun click" and a gateron black on the spacebar for a linear feel. Really enjoying this board so far, its was my first "build" so i tried to have some fun mixing switches :)
got dat gateron sweg :cool:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:27:43 »

I will get a better pic when my batteries are charged (potato for now).  Went with the Matias quiet clicks since I like a challenge.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline JackMills

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 09:23:29 »
Question: is this the correct way to mount the Matias switch?
92072-0

Asking because it seems to 'stick out' more than a Cherry switch, which definitely can be so as I have nil experience with ALPS or the likes.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 09:25:19 by JackMills »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 09:33:31 »
The kit was delivered, but it shall wait for the Gaterons to arrive.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 09:38:46 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:07:38 »
Show Image

She loves boards...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:54:14 »

Nothing too fancy

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 22:07:43 »
(Attachment Link)

Asking because it seems to 'stick out' more than a Cherry switch, which definitely can be so as I have nil experience with ALPS or the likes.

Yup, that's it. 

Offline JackMills

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 01:49:29 »
(Attachment Link)

Yup, that's it.

Ok now I know. Next step is of to be powder coated...I would like to have it in green :D

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 02:50:47 »
HHKB Brothers

It's been cool beta testing this thing before it went public. It has blues but I would consider switching to some clicky alps if I can find some good caps as I love the switch.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 05:40:49 »
HHKB Brothers
Show Image

It's been cool beta testing this thing before it went public. It has blues but I would consider switching to some clicky alps if I can find some good caps as I love the switch.

Why it does not have the Granite space bar?

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 22:40:53 »
It's the hacker layout, so 6u spacebar (not 6.25 or 7.0). The only 6u option in the granite buy was a abs one, so i decided to throw on a pbt one.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 23:33:18 »
It's the hacker layout, so 6u spacebar (not 6.25 or 7.0). The only 6u option in the granite buy was a abs one, so i decided to throw on a pbt one.

Right. Another reason to get the standard layout.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:19:05 »
Hey guys quick question. I am a moderately tech  savy girl that loves to do thing herself. I built my own computer and sleeved pcie cables for my graphics card. I soldered in high school and beyond. So my question is how hard are these DIY kits to assemble. I have really been wanting to build a board and this piqued my interest.
Thanks all
Sed8(Ashley)
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:39:25 »
I soldered in high school and beyond. So my question is how hard are these DIY kits to assemble.
If you’ve soldered before, and you have reasonable soldering gear available to use, you’ll be fine.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:43:55 »
Hey guys quick question. I am a moderately tech  savy girl that loves to do thing herself. I built my own computer and sleeved pcie cables for my graphics card. I soldered in high school and beyond. So my question is how hard are these DIY kits to assemble. I have really been wanting to build a board and this piqued my interest.
Thanks all
Sed8(Ashley)
This board is not that hard to assemble, you only need to solder the switches. So if you can solder this could be a good board to begin with. I cannot solder and I got this board, but I am confident that I can this done (will be practising on some old pcbs first).

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 06:57:30 »
Thanks all
Sed8(Ashley)
This board is not that hard to assemble, you only need to solder the switches. So if you can solder this could be a good board to begin with. I cannot solder and I got this board, but I am confident that I can this done (will be practising on some old pcbs first).
Should totally be doable! The switch contacts are fairly big and you don't have to worry about overheating any components too much.

Offline ishpeck

• Life without MX Blues is no kind of life at all.
    • The Ishpeckian Network
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:07:42 »

Just used whatever random caps I had laying around.  I need to get a real cap set.

This was my first soldering project worth mentioning.  It was really easy.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:31:57 by ishpeck »
0:=λfx.x

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:31:38 »
Show Image

Just used whatever random caps I had laying around.  I need to get a real cap set.
still looks good :thumb:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline ishpeck

• The Ishpeckian Network
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 15:58:16 »
still looks good :thumb:

The right shift key cap is the wrong profile.  It's going to bug me.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 05:00:35 »
Show Image

I will get a better pic when my batteries are charged (potato for now).  Went with the Matias quiet clicks since I like a challenge.

This is soooo sick! I want a 60% Alps so bad!

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 16:03:05 »
Show Image

Wow! Where did you get these keycaps? They look so nice!
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 23:48:27 »
Show Image

Thanks

As promised:
93117-0

93119-1

Show Image

Wow! Where did you get these keycaps? They look so nice!

Stock caps from a Chicony 5161.  They needed a retrobright, but overall they were in like new condition - no shine at all. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:46:34 »
Does someone has reprogrammed the board using the configurator? It would be great to know your experience.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 13:29:17 »
I scrapped the configurator once I realized that as soon as you put the ESC key on it you can no longer download a functioning *.bin file.

I set up an Ubuntu Minimal VM and just compile it myself. I put together some instructions for doing this, if you're interested: http://rossipedia.com/blog/2015/02/programming-the-infinity-keyboard/

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 14:33:56 »
I scrapped the configurator once I realized that as soon as you put the ESC key on it you can no longer download a functioning *.bin file.

I set up an Ubuntu Minimal VM and just compile it myself. I put together some instructions for doing this, if you're interested: http://rossipedia.com/blog/2015/02/programming-the-infinity-keyboard/

Then avoiding the esc key could allow a working BIN to be produced? And thank you for the link, I will give it a try soon. Meanwhile I got second thoughts on getting a second kit, it has been a little bit frustrating to deal with a layout I cannot use and that I am stuck at.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:56:53 »
Show Image

Thanks

As promised:
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

60% (Matias) Linear Alps anyone? Photo from yesterdays monthly bay area meetup.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 23:07:53 »

Excellent. Their configurator is a really nice idea but it just doesn't seem to be 'production ready' right now.

I got one in the latest drop and I plan to use your instructions, so I'll let you know how it does  :)

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 03:54:19 »
I promise you I have the ugliest Infinity that will ever be posted in this thread:

Gateron Clears, assembled and soldered at the Bay Area meetup at the end of January. The \ key doesn't work and I don't have a soldering iron at home to try to fix it with. XD
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline ishpeck

• The Ishpeckian Network
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 21:26:55 »
I promise you I have the ugliest Infinity that will ever be posted in this thread:

Show Image

After the amount of fussing I had to do to get the stabilizers to seat right, I think your space bar may just be better than mine.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 21:59:09 »
Is everyone here aware of the Infinity Alps modifier IC going on right now? I see a few Alps boards here already so I thought I would mention it. Let's help make Alps GBs work!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hoz

• 60% is more than enough.
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 16:53:29 »
first build up with matias quiet clicks:

didnt take much time until i realized i made a huge mistake and started to replace the worthless matias switches with gateron blues and this is what the board looks like currently, just gonna do some touch up painting and find a nice way to cover the cutouts for the switches im not using, then ill call it finished :)

Infinity pcb, "hacker" layout plate spray painted white, Gateron blue switches, blank white pbt caps and a pexon/vortex cast alu case also spray painted white.
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 19:39:33 »
Show Image

didnt take much time until i realized i made a huge mistake and started to replace the worthless matias switches with gateron blues and this is what the board looks like currently, just gonna do some touch up painting and find a nice way to cover the cutouts for the switches im not using, then ill call it finished :)

Show Image

Show Image

Infinity pcb, "hacker" layout plate spray painted white, Gateron blue switches, blank white pbt caps and a pexon/vortex cast alu case also spray painted white.

If they are worthless to you, would you be willing to send a handful my way? I'm assembling my Infinity right now and I've had a few casualties.

Edit: wait sweden nevermind...

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hoz

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 08:07:36 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

If they are worthless to you, would you be willing to send a handful my way? I'm assembling my Infinity right now and I've had a few casualties.

let me guess, you've either pulled legs or pulled them open and lost internals while trying to change/release keycaps? :P
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 20:52:53 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

let me guess, you've either pulled legs or pulled them open and lost internals while trying to change/release keycaps? :P

Exactly this. Apparently the plate is a tad bit too thick for Alps switches to properly clip in place. Combine that with the fact that the SP caps are extremely tight-fitting, and it's a recipe for broken switches.

I'll continue looking to get some replacement switches, but for now I've soldered in some orange Alps I had sitting around. It's ESC and TAB so not super common keys anyway.

My boards:
More

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 21:15:26 »
I don't have keycaps yet, but I got my Infinity and put it together on Friday! It was suuuuuper simple to do and I like the look of the board. The blue PCB with the stainless steel plate and clear/grey switches came together really nice IMO. Also, I'm really diggin the Alps keyswitches so far! I got it with the Matias Quiet pro.

I will post more when I get some caps and take better photos!

omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 21:20:40 »
I don't have keycaps yet, but I got my Infinity and put it together on Friday! It was suuuuuper simple to do and I like the look of the board. The blue PCB with the stainless steel plate and clear/grey switches came together really nice IMO. Also, I'm really diggin the Alps keyswitches so far! I got it with the Matias Quiet pro.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Quiet pro are my favorite from matias (still not sure why, but I don't like the feeling of their clicky ones.) Which case did you go with?
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 21:23:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Quiet pro are my favorite from matias (still not sure why, but I don't like the feeling of their clicky ones.) Which case did you go with?
I stuck it in a black poker 2 case for now until I figure out what I really want to get for it

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 21:26:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I stuck it in a black poker 2 case for now until I figure out what I really want to get for it

Gotcha. Couldn't tell if it was a stock case or one of the cast ones from Pexon.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 23:13:10 »
Looking good Booper.  I also had a really good time putting mine together. 

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 15:16:57 »
Just finished up with my build today. Having a small bit of trouble with the return and space bar not returning fully each time :mad:
Build log is still uploading to imgur, but I will share soon.

Offline hoz

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 16:36:11 »

uhm, solder?  :eek:
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 17:25:04 »

mm, what about solder?

Offline hoz

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 17:52:37 »

mm, what about solder?

your tale seems to lack that part, and i'm dying to know the end of the story, did it get sum? :D

OnT: changed springs in the Gateron blues in my infinity, 67g massdrop ones with aprox 87g actuation, feels awesome!

one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 18:05:35 »

mm, what about solder?

your tale seems to lack that part, and i'm dying to know the end of the story, did it get sum? :D

OnT: changed springs in the Gateron blues in my infinity, 67g massdrop ones with aprox 87g actuation, feels awesome!
Show Image

Ohhh, yea, of course! haha. I just didn't get a picture of the PCB post-solder.

also, nice setup on yours!  :thumb:

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 13:05:05 »
My Inifity keyboard JUST STOPPED WORKING mid-typing.

Nothing can see it on the USB port. Checked the continuity of the connector and its fine.
How in the HELL? The microcontroller just GAVE OUT on the USB.

Count me pissed. I had not even done any fixes yet, just happened to check into why with a multimeter in my pocket.

I didn't even get ONE MONTH of use before it died.

Beware, if you are getting double letters, your microcontroller is about to DIE!

Hardware design is to blame for this failure.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 13:18:39 »
Sucks about your PCB :(

I also forgot to post more of my board. Full Build log: http://imgur.com/a/kDDie

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
  • UKKeycaps.co.uk / MechSupply.co.uk
    • UKKeycaps
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 06:28:46 »
Just finished up with my build today. Having a small bit of trouble with the return and space bar not returning fully each time :mad:
Build log is still uploading to imgur, but I will share soon.

Sexy af

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 21:23:35 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 22:55:22 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 13:11:21 »
Just update my Infinity with Triumph Adler and some CMYW. It was built with Gateron Clears, spring swapped with some 62g springs. I loves it. :)

Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 14:04:09 »
Just update my Infinity with Triumph Adler and some CMYW. It was built with Gateron Clears, spring swapped with some 62g springs. I loves it. :)

Show Image

Mighty fine looking board you got there  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 14:13:14 »

Show Image

Your board looks awesome but that photo needs work to do it justice. Here's a retouched version after about 5 minutes in Lightroom.

107496-0

My boards:
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 14:19:50 »

Show Image

Your board looks awesome but that photo needs work to do it justice. Here's a retouched version after about 5 minutes in Lightroom.

(Attachment Link)

That is some nice work, njbair.   :thumb:   And great board, inanis!  ;D

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 14:29:18 »

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

Thanks, I took the picture at work, with my phone, and I can't install that stuff on my work machine. Heck, I can't even put the picture on my work machine. Thems the rules, which are insane, but are rules none the less. To demonstrate how strict they are, I can't even get to Google without signing an agreement, I can't use USB drives, and I can't email myself the attachments.  I do have Photoshop, but...that would mean I need to get the picture on there, which I can't do - well, I can if I *really* want to, but it isn't worth the effort.  I could wait until I get home, but that would require 2 things - patience and alone time at home. I lack both. I will attempt to do better next time though, and I appreciate the help.  :thumb:
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 14:32:26 »

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

Thanks, I took the picture at work, with my phone, and I can't install that stuff on my work machine. Heck, I can't even put the picture on my work machine. Thems the rules, which are insane, but are rules none the less. To demonstrate how strict they are, I can't even get to Google without signing an agreement, I can't use USB drives, and I can't email myself the attachments.  I do have Photoshop, but...that would mean I need to get the picture on there, which I can't do - well, I can if I *really* want to, but it isn't worth the effort.  I could wait until I get home, but that would require 2 things - patience and alone time at home. I lack both. I will attempt to do better next time though, and I appreciate the help.  :thumb:

Understood. I don't get alone time at home either. Fortunately my job affords me autonomy and an office to fill with keyboards and keyboard accessories.

My boards:
More

Offline E3E

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 03:04:41 »
Not sure if it's distasteful to ask this here, but would anyone here be willing to part with a bent case Infinity in hacker layout? Not trying to rip this out of the loving grasp of anyone here, but if anyone is willing, please let me know! :thumb:

Offline E3E

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 11:25:02 »
Here's mine with blue alps! I knew I wanted the bent case Infinity in hacker layout since I set eyes on the original Massdrop page.

Yeah, I have an ancient laptop at the moment, but it's chill. :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 11:27:14 by E3E »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 21:52:15 »
Here's mine with blue alps! I knew I wanted the bent case Infinity in hacker layout since I set eyes on the original Massdrop page.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

A novel cutout of drawer liner there!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hoz

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 22:10:01 »
finally took the time to edit my last shots of the "family", though i forgot to check them against a "****ed up" calibration, hence the dust and **** if you're viewing this on a non calibrated monitor :S
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline E3E

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 22:35:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

A novel cutout of drawer liner there!

Haha, thanks. It's fastened to an aluminum "plate" that I made out of a laptop replacement lid (for the one shown) that was for a model similar to mine, but it didn't fit. So I decided to turn it into something else and grind it down with a dremel, then used some shelf-liner I had around.

Here's the entire build log of my infinity project if you'd like to see it. http://imgur.com/a/Zrcjx#0 :3

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 22:39:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dope! Can't wait to build my Alpsie 60% some day

Offline E3E

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 23:16:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dope! Can't wait to build my Alpsie 60% some day

;D You'll love it! Alps are fantastic to type on and the blue variety sounds great. Someday, I want to make a fully backlit board with green Alps, but for now, I need to take a break from this hobby. It's just becoming too expensive to focus on for me.  :-X This was my going out build, even though I still have orange alps and more blue alps I'd love to make builds with, haha.

Offline E3E

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 19:02:58 »
The next stage in evolution for my Infinity build

Went from AEK caps to original Dell AT101 (salmon alps, US made) thick PBT caps and the DCS modifiers with Cherry legends. Using my solderless orange Alps in them right now, but ultimately, I'll solder in the blue alps I had before and go back to thin ABS with Alpine Winter. 

Gonna be restoring the AT101 anyway, but I will use its caps on a linear Alps build I have in mind. From time to time anyway.

Offline E3E

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 03:15:47 »

Typing video for my customized Infinity. Green Alps in mint condition, virtually unused. They were not soldered in, simply inserted into the plate and work just fine solderless. Everything I'm typing now is with this board. :P

Sorbothane dampening sheet sandwiched between the PCB and an acrylic plate mounted using some hex screws. Silicone strips added to the bottom of the board for non-slip grip. Only really good way to do it for the bent case version.

Details on the sorbothane:

I find that it really does reduce the typing sound. Alps are usually very loud in terms of clack, but this hushed them quite a bit without any change in feel.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 03:20:21 by E3E »

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 20:21:46 »
x-post https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76373.msg1940743#msg1940743

Infinity with dampener-less Matias Linears, and an MX Red on the Esc for artisans. https://www.instagram.com/p/9l2B2ZnGbE/