Author Topic: help with Reuters Keyboard  (Read 8360 times)

Offline ferris

help with Reuters Keyboard
« on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:08:09 »
Hello everyone  :)

Can you please help my find this keyboard or something similar? I use it at work in the dealing room .

I dont have much experience with mechanical keyboards, I recently bought a Razer BWU with blue switch, they feel great but sound terrible, I am looking for a quite mechanical keyboard and a cheap one.
the one I  use in work is supplied from reuters with the dealing platform, i dont know if its based on other cherry keyboards , but it feels great to type on , it uses Cherry mx brown and the board it self is very heavy and I mean really heavy like 2 or 3 razer BWU keyboards and it sounds really nice unlike the BWU, the keycaps I believe are thicker but again I dont have any experience with Mech. KBs.

what do you recommend for a cheap mech. keyboard with browns ( are there any cheap cherry ones with browns on ebay? )
also what do you recommend for  a cheap mech with browns and back-light ??

Can you give advice on the switch type brown vs Red ? I am asking this cause in the place where I live there arent mech. KBs around so I have to rely on reviews and youtube only :(

Thanks

Ferris

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: help with Reuters Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:07:33 »
That is an awesome keyboard. To get close with available components, you'd be best off with a Filco MJ2 keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches, currently available for $99 at us.ncix (IIRC). Then add a set of thick PBT keycaps from Imsto, for another $80-100.  Finally, you could replace the plastic Filco case with a metal one, if they are available in full-size. Alternatively you could add brass or lead weights to the inside of the case.

Or you could try an IBM Model M.

But if you find an actual source for the real keyboards, I totally want one too!

Good luck!

- Ron I samwisekoi

edit- or you could get one here: http://www.mighter.com/mpkb4050.htm

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:38:03 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:36:00 »
You can find some keyboards like that in the picture in Taobao. Can't find the links now but there have been some there.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:26:11 »
Mighter sells some keyboards that might interest you:

http://www.mighter.com/keyboards.htm

Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:47:16 »
Mighter sells some keyboards that might interest you:

http://www.mighter.com/keyboards.htm

Show Image

Who makes those?  They would be awesome without the KVM.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline 1391406

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:38:12 »
Who makes those?  They would be awesome without the KVM.

I'm not sure who manufacturers them.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline ferris

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 16:30:39 »
Any recommendation for a cheap sub 100$ cherry brown or red keyboard ??

do you know any cherry keyboard model with browns , like the ones sold on Ebay ,,  I dont care if its used or old as long as its a Cherry brand keyboard

here are some more pics for you :)

If you can arrange for group buy ill be interested

Offline Nick205

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 16:26:25 »
Hi All,

The Reuters and Mighter keyboards are manufactured by Devlin Electronics in the UK http://www.devlin.co.uk

Check out their KMX-144 Rapid Access keyboards for more info.

They should be able to provide you with a Cherry MX brown (Soft Tactile) keyboard.

Alternatively, take a look at the new Cherry G80-3850 MX 3.0 keyboard.