Author Topic: [IC] VIENDI 8L - Elegant. Southpaw 60. Knob | GB lives until Nov 14 2021  (Read 76381 times)

Offline NTN

• NTN@Viendi Studio
    • Viendi website
Groupbuy lives now until the end of [14 November 2021]
Groupbuy thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115158.0

Hi mechanical keyboard enthusiasts,
Welcome to the first Interest check for VIENDI 8L – a custom mechanical keyboard kit.

Firstly, please take a look at this video, remember to turn on audio and fullscreen ;-)

I am working in the architectural field, using numpad a lot, but can not use it and my mouse at the same time with my right hand. This is the reason for the left numpad.
I am obsessed with minimalism and elegant yet practical. That is the reason for the layout, as less as possible without compromising with practical usage.
This is my first keyboard project, so the goal is to fulfill my passion, gaining trust of the community, not profit at all. That is why I offer an affordable price, yet it has to have something nice to worth what you pay for. Nice things are the showing-off brass plate, rotary encoder and sleek design.
*** Every design lines put in has been carefully considered in terms of aesthetic, functions, comfortable usage.

⚫ MAIN SPECIFICATIONS:
- Case size: W390mm x H116mm, front height: 20mm, made of CNC 6061 aluminium. 6* tilt angle.
- Sandwich mount.
- Exposed brass plate with surface treated to prevent tarnishing and oxidizing.
- PCB and Rotary Encoder can be fully programable by QMK via VIA Configurator.
- USB Type C port.
- 2 Colors: Dark gray (named Shadow), Silver (named Mist) and limited color options.
- Kit includes: Case, plate, PCB, screws, silicon bumpons. Under considering: includes the rotary encoder (EC11) and sound dampener foam.

⚫ Construction diagram:

⚫ Full features:

⚫ Layout supported:

⚫ Key ?/ issue:

⚫ Detail renderings:
More

⚫ Mixes with keycaps:

Credits: GMK Nines by Emir, GMK Phantom by briano1905, Gmk Samurai by RedSuns, GMK Wild by T.D Lemon 1900, GMK Oblivion by Oblotzky, JTK Suited Assassin by JTKeycaps.

Credits: GMK Modern Dolch Light by janglad, GMK Sandstorm by Zambumon, GMK Sixes by Xynerorias, GMK Olivia by olivia.

Full renderings album

Please help me conclude some consideration to finalize the design and sign up the mailing list in this IC FORM
For now, I will try to answer anything posted here or this DISCORD SERVER or this REDDIT POST.

⚫ STATUS:
- Dealt with PCB designer, he has a lot of experiences on designing and mass pcb production.
- Dealt with CNC factory, anodizing factory.
- I will make the first prototype right after you guys help me conclude some big considerations on the IC Form. Refined and finalized all design details.
- Received v01 prototype. Please check photos below.
- Ordered prototype v02.
- PCB designing nearly finished.

⚫ PROTOTYPE V01: *Note: this is only raw CNC machined, not yet anodized.

⚫ SCHEDULE:
More

⚫ COLLABORATIONS:
More
- With JTKeycaps: buyers on Viendi 8L GB will have chance to buy both 8L and JTK Suited Assassin (SA) at discount price when 8L GB launches. Which means you only need to pay for both at that time, no need to pay now. And even if discount slots run out, you can still buy JTK SA at full price.
I am welcome and still looking for collaboration, please PM me or email to viendistudio@gmail.com

⚫ PRICE ESTIMATES:
Price range: 200$ - 300$ 388 usd excludes VAT and shipping fee.

⚫ QUANTITY:
More
To be determined. But will be limited for the first round, since I want to carefully control the quality and shipping schedule.

⚫ THANK YOU AND CREDITS:
More
Thank you friends around the world for paying attention, unconditional helping and advising, making me realize some unseen difficulties and cost.
Special thanks to: VNMK community, JTKeycaps, Hoang Nguyen, Nguyen Thanh, Tom Kazansky, Truyen Nguyen, Chau Ngoc Hieu, u/Eroviaa, u/exdigguser147, remitairakawa.

This is a long journey to finally have the VIENDI 8L on your desk, fully function and shine. Let’s make this come true with me!

If you want to support this project, please consider putting this in your signature. Thank you!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107608.0][img width=400 height=100]https://i.imgur.com/TA4GDER.jpg[/img][/url]
From Saigon, Viet Nam, with love.
Sincerely,
Nguyen Truong Ngan - NTN.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 October 2021, 20:43:24 by NTN »

Offline Dazon

yes please!! im very interested

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
Neat board! I recognized this from the JTK Suited Assassin renders. Really digging the bezel design.

Offline KeebOnMe

Looks great! I'm in the boat of adding one column to the board, but I understand where you are coming from.

Can't wait till the group buy!

Offline mahpsirhc

I love how minimalistic the keyboard looks. The left-hand number pad rocks! I hope there is an US vendor because I am definitely interested. Is the bezel (plate) going to be gold no matter what or will there be options for different color combinations (based on material)? Also, go Vietnamese designers! This and Ori are awesome from Vietnam.

EDIT: I filled out the IC form - ignore my question above!
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 00:23:48 by mahpsirhc »

Offline buianhthang

Re: [IC] Viendi 8L - Elegant 60% with left numpad and knob.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 00:19:01 »
Great. Waiting for a board without numpad
Keyboard: Filco ECW, Anne Pro 2, Percent Canoe Gen 2
Keyset: GMK Bento R1

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 00:26:22 »
The exposed plate accent is a nice feature.

Will the top case be flush around the knob like in the video? Or an option interchangeable with a switch like in the photo renders?

Offline NTN

• NTN@Viendi Studio
    • Viendi website
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 00:33:29 »
The exposed plate accent is a nice feature.

Will the top case be flush around the knob like in the video? Or an option interchangeable with a switch like in the photo renders?

Show Image

The top frame is fixed for the knob, normal switch is not supported.

Offline Nyeezy

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 02:21:36 »
I’m in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 02:25:25 »
In  :thumb:
Hopefully i don't miss it. 

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 03:55:37 »
Looks beautiful. Are you considering EU vendors?

Offline jAngeles

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 05:28:02 »
damn that looks great! very very interested

Offline NTN

• NTN@Viendi Studio
    • Viendi website
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 05:59:30 »
I am considering. I don't know what is the difference between choosing a vendor at my country that can ship worldwide and choosing multiple vendors at different regions like america, EU,...?
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2020, 02:46:38 by NTN »

Offline thanhquang1988

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 07:11:48 »
Sign me in  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline parablol

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 08:09:53 »
Beautiful design

Offline quinnx

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 08:24:44 »
Cannot wait to see the prototype!!!!

Offline d4vid4f

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:05:31 »
Really loving this design.

Only suggestion is that I am against the mirrored numpad. I prefer the standard numpad layout while still being on the left.

Other than that, it is a great concept and I am excited to support this project.

Thanks,

Offline GaNeBaL

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:07:00 »
any possibility of a 7u bottom row?
Obsessed with 60%TKLs

Offline SupportGG__

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 10:14:32 »
a few questions about the knob.  Will you be able to push it as well (like a button)?  How smooth/tactile with the rotation be?

Offline NTN

• NTN@Viendi Studio
    • Viendi website
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 10:17:49 »

Only suggestion is that I am against the mirrored numpad. I prefer the standard numpad layout while still being on the left.

Other than that, it is a great concept and I am excited to support this project.

Thanks,

It is mentioned in the IC form, I would follow the most voted.

any possibility of a 7u bottom row?
Maybe no, 7u is not enough different to 6.25u for me. Supporting it leads to big cutting off the plate.

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 10:27:19 »
this looks absolutely stunning.

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 12:59:54 »
Well that is a form factor I could really get behind.
Very nice, I'll be following this closely

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline xsaav

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 13:33:33 »
How do I stay updated? Is there a mailing list?

Offline xEdifice

[IC] Viendi 8L - Elegant 60% with left numpad and knob.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 15:40:14 »
Love the design and the numpad placement. Looks amazing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:00:16 by xEdifice »

Offline Oddstag

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:23:30 »
At that price you definitely have my interest. Will be following closely.

Offline Shiro

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 17:13:33 »
i will never use a numpad, but man what a clean board. Hope this goes well!

Offline ahsangah

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 17:18:50 »
That exploded 3D animation gave me architecture school flashbacks. Looks awesome! Will be watching~ ^^

Offline NTN

• NTN@Viendi Studio
    • Viendi website
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 22:15:24 »
How do I stay updated? Is there a mailing list?
Fill in the IC form to sign up the mailling list or join Discord server for faster updates.

Thanks,
Thanks. I may support both. This issue is mentioned in the IC form, I would follow the most voted.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 12:03:13 »
Beautiful design but I would prefer right handed numpad.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 12:20:02 »
I've only ever used right-handed numpad up until now, and honestly, when I saw the board I told myself "f*ck it, I'll switch to a left-handed one". It does make more sense imo than a right-handed numpad, just gives more room for the mouse to be moved.

Offline Key_Capt

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 12:21:47 »
Looking real nice!

Offline eyeon

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 13:34:00 »
It looks good, left numpad is a big plus as is the smaller form factor.  The big problem is the location of the "?" key that is a very commonly used key moving it is not really an option in my eyes.  The arrow keys on the other hand are completely unnecessary, a person can just as easily use arrows in the numpad section if they actually need them.  Ideal would be a standard 60% layout with the added left section.

Offline Lenux

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 13:39:29 »
Good looking / elegant and classy 60% keyboard i love it.

Good luck !

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 10:21:08 »
I’d slob that knob

Offline chanceofthat

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 13:07:56 »
Wow this looks incredible, I’d kill for just a 60% without the numpad. Hopefully in the future you might consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 14:11:28 »
This is absolutely beautiful and so up my street - I'm running a 60% with a macropad on the left with encoders on, so this would have all the features in one stunning piece!
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 05:56:10 »
Hi, what is the approx. weight?

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 07:51:20 »
It looks good, left numpad is a big plus as is the smaller form factor.  The big problem is the location of the "?" key that is a very commonly used key moving it is not really an option in my eyes.  The arrow keys on the other hand are completely unnecessary, a person can just as easily use arrows in the numpad section if they actually need them.  Ideal would be a standard 60% layout with the added left section.
The great thing about QMK is that you can remap.
Right shift, for me anyways, is almost never used, so in my eyes I would remap to "? /".
As a heavy excel user, I disagree with your NAV cluster statement. I would like to be able to enter data and navigate simultaneously without having to change layers. And further to that, I would probably remap the current "?" To tab to even further increase productivity. Everyone has their own use cases, so you can't generalize.
I for one will cop this board for the ergonomics and size factor.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Offline NTN

• NTN@Viendi Studio
    • Viendi website
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 09:16:03 »
a few questions about the knob.  Will you be able to push it as well (like a button)?  How smooth/tactile with the rotation be?
The component technical name is EC11. It can be rotated unlimited and continuously with tactile feeling (imaging it feels like a angle snap every 5 degrees), and can be clicked, you can map these 2 inputs freely.

Hi, what is the approx. weight?
Wait for my protoype.

Thanks,
We are working to support both standard and mirrored numpad

Same as below.

The great thing about QMK is that you can remap.
Right shift, for me anyways, is almost never used, so in my eyes I would remap to "? /".
As a heavy excel user, I disagree with your NAV cluster statement. I would like to be able to enter data and navigate simultaneously without having to change layers. And further to that, I would probably remap the current "?" To tab to even further increase productivity. Everyone has their own use cases, so you can't generalize.
I for one will cop this board for the ergonomics and size factor.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
This kit support both initial layout in the rendering and ANSI standard.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 10:32:54 »
I am considering. For now I don't what is the different between choosing a vendor at my country that can ship worldwide and choosing multiple vendors at different regions like america, EU,...?

Its mainly about the absurd taxes and hassle Eu buyers go through. Although a vendor charges taxes, the hassle is eliminated. On the other hand sometimes a vendor abroad would undervalue the package as well. But thats a rare occasion!
Vendors in EU mainly make sure we can get the stuff without much hassle!Thats about it tbh.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 12:12:26 »
EDIT: OK nevermind. I saw the question in the IC form.

This looks great. Love the brass "lip" :)
Any chance of split spacebar support? Something like this should work for your PCB's layout:

« Last Edit: Sun, 26 July 2020, 23:16:04 by nguyenhimself »

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 12:13:06 »
<Duplicate post. Sorry.>

Offline klexoslethal

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 13:24:15 »
I've been waiting for this board since I first saw the renders on Reddit, I'm so excited for this!!

Offline aiwa501

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 21:47:04 »
Yeah.  Absolutely love this layout.  Good luck.

Offline Hyphen

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 14:44:02 »
This is gorgeous! Best of luck. I'll keep an eye out for this. If I have room in the budget when the international GB comes around, I'm definitely in!

Offline justinhigley

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 19:21:05 »
Love a good southpaw numpad. On the question of the bottom right of the board I prefer the layout below.

248250-0

Offline NTN

• NTN@Viendi Studio
    • Viendi website
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 22:47:36 »
Yeah.  Absolutely love this layout.  Good luck.

I've been waiting for this board since I first saw the renders on Reddit, I'm so excited for this!!

This is gorgeous! Best of luck. I'll keep an eye out for this. If I have room in the budget when the international GB comes around, I'm definitely in!
Thanks all
Love a good southpaw numpad. On the question of the bottom right of the board I prefer the layout below.

(Attachment Link)
Good news: this kit supports that.

Offline justinhigley

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 11:13:14 »
Good news: this kit supports that.

Awesome! I'm in.

Offline toumatakeshi

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 10:33:06 »
Can I just say that this baby is the sexiest (no joke) thing I've seen all month?
Fantastic job and fantastic price. I'm in (if I can get in).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 10:43:08 »
Joining, maybe, depending on actual pricing.

Note: I´d like to support your project but the banner is not working - Check my signature.