Author Topic: [GB] Panc40 group buy - Complete  (Read 40245 times)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
[GB] Panc40 group buy - Complete
« on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 15:36:44 »
The time for the Panc40 (Minorca/Sebright/Ancona) Keyboard Group Buy has come!

Group Buy Entry Form

Link to IC

The GB package price has dropped from $250 to $235!! Thank you for your support!

Minorca layout

Sebright layout

Ancona layout

The Goods:

This is a high profile aluminum milled case, with a PCB supporting hotswap and underglow. The switch plate is going to be top-mounted, with 6 circular tabs for added stability. This will have a left-mounted USB location, and uses USB-C as the terminal. The PCB does support QMK.

I’m going to have two different layouts (Minorca and Sebright) on one PCB, two corresponding case options, PCB-mount stabs, and a milled base using a 4° incline. This will also have a frosted acrylic layer for the 8 RGB LEDs for underglow, or a brass mid-layer for those that aren't huge into LEDs.

KLE links:

Minorca
Sebright
Ancona

More pics:

More

Timeline:

The Group Buy starts today and will continue until 7/26
Invoicing will take place at the end of the GB period
Invoices will have 72 hours to be paid
Production will start immediately after all invoices are paid and will take approximately 10 weeks for the parts to be created, sent to me for color treatment and shipping

Pricing:

The Group Buy package is priced at $250 $235 and includes:

• Minorca/Sebright milled aluminum top frame
  • 4° angle milled aluminum base with Frosted acrylic diffuser
  • Stainless steel topmount switchplate
  • Panc40 PCB
    • Hotswap  supporting Minorca, Sebright, Ortholinear layouts
    • USB-C PCB terminal
    • QMK firmware
    • RGB underglow
  • 1x 2mm underplate foam
  • 2x 2u PCB stabs
  • Hardware
    • mounting hardware
    • USB-C cable
    • set of rubber feet
  • CONUS shipping and handling

Additional parts will be:
  • Additional Minorca/Sebright milled aluminum top frame - $90
  • Additional 4° angle milled aluminum base (compatible with both Sebright and Minorca top frames) - $70
  • Additional Steel topmount switchplate - $28
  • Additional frosted acrylic diffuser - $13
  • Optional 2mm brass layer - $40
  • Additional hotswap Panc40 PCB supporting both Sebright and Minorca layouts - $35]
  • Ortholinear hotswap PCB and plate - $70

NOTE: You CAN choose the ortholinear PCB+plate-only version on the GB form.

---------------

Color choices:

The boards will be powdercoated in one of six available colorsfinishes can be adjusted with additional fee, PM for more info:

Quarter Blue (Satin finish)

Volcano Stone (Flat finish)

Bright Red (Semi-gloss finish)

Lavender Mist (Satin finish)

Watson White (Satin finish)

Ink Black (Gloss finish)

Matte Silver (Matte finish)

Tomic Gold (Satin finish)

Here's an album of keyboard powdercoat commissions I've completed: Portfolio

Shipping

Shipments will be packed in a stretch-poly bag around a folded crush-resistant box lined with foam. For those that are outside of CONUS and don’t have a proxy, we can work together to confirm shipping costs. On average the additional cost for untracked USPS First Class package shipping for this weight is $25. USPS Priority shipping is an additional $35, but takes about a week and is tracked from end to end.

Giveaways

I’m also holding a few giveaways to go along with this GB:

43x Retooled Cherry Black switches (lubed with custom superlube mix) that can cover either a Minorca or Sebright layout
43x shaved (tested with GMK caps) BOX Pale Blue switches that can cover either a Minorca or Sebright layout
43x shaved (tested with GMK caps) BOX Jade switches that can cover either a Minorca or Sebright layout
Black blank cherry profile keyset that covers both Minorca and Sebright layouts
White blank SA uniform profile keyset that covers both Minorca and Sebright layouts.

Everyone who enters the group buy will entered into these giveaways.

I look forward to answering any questions that might come up! Thanks for looking!

Group Buy Entry Form

FAQ

More

Q: $250 seems like a lot to charge for a 40% keyboard. Why is it so expensive?

A: I tried my best to include as much value as humanly possible for this pricepoint. It comes with a hotswap PCB and plate that supports both layouts, a USB-C cable, premium packaging, and a lot of other extras.

Q: Why did you create a new ortholinear PCB when it mimics layouts provided by the planck PCB?

A: The planck PCB has the USB terminal in a different location, so I couldn’t use it with this case configuration. Also, this PCB adds a few more layout options, as I wanted to make sure it was differentiated a bit.

Q: Why is the incline 4° instead of 5° or 7°?

A: After evaluating different configurations and angle options, I felt that 4 degrees was the best option. I did use 5 and felt it was a bit too drastic for this small of a keyboard. The prototype tester group also felt that the 4° was a suitable middle ground.

Q: Why did you go with USB-C and not USB-mini?

A: Shensmobile who designed the PCB itself is a big fan of USB-C, and I don’t think anyone has strong feelings against the use of C as a tech. Some folks don’t have C cables, so I decided to include one in the GB package.

Q: I see a lot of gaps and spaces between the keycaps and the keyboard bezel, will these be resolved in the final design?

A: Yes! The models have already been modified to compensate for this. Part of this had to do with the location of the topmount holes, and another part was the dimensions of the switchplate. Both have been fixed.

Q: Is it possible to only get the ortholinear options without buying the staggered options?

A: Yes!

Q: Is there going to be plate foam available for these layouts?

A: Yes! I’m working on getting the design correct to push out the foam, but rest assured I want foam to be available for this configuration.

Q: Why do you use powdercoating instead of anodization for your keyboard color treatments?

A: I don't have anything against anodization, but I find that the benefits of powdercoating are too numerous to not use it. Compared to ano, powdercoating is more durable, easier to apply, cheaper to use and repair, and faster to complete.

Q: Why do you use USPS to ship instead of another service?

A: When shipping within the US, USPS has the best price-to-speed ratio. I've run a few group buys before and I've always been happy with the service they provide.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2020, 15:57:12 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [GB] Panc40 milled alu keyboard group buy (closes 7/19)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 15:59:45 »
ooooh very nice!

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 16:49:04 »
ancora is the ortho option right? if we picked that we don't need to check off the other "swap my stuff for ortho" yea?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 16:54:17 »
ancora is the ortho option right? if we picked that we don't need to check off the other "swap my stuff for ortho" yea?

That's correct!

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 16:57:40 »
great thanks!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 00:36:48 »
Great price and I love that shipping is included.

One question though. Will you include the plate file for those who would like to have another material made (carbon fiber, polycarb, etc)?

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 04:48:42 »
Order placed! Excited to finally get my hands on a sebright!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 06:50:14 »
Great price and I love that shipping is included.

One question though. Will you include the plate file for those who would like to have another material made (carbon fiber, polycarb, etc)?

Yes, absolutely will be releasing plate files after the GB wraps up. I'm still trying to get prices for polycarb, but I can't find someone with a waterjet who also offers the material. I'll update all listings the second I find someone with reasonable quotes tho!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 14:31:03 »
Moving FAQ up to OP.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 July 2019, 08:55:12 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline MMKB

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 15:55:47 »
Order placed. Let’s do this!

One question i haven’t thought about: does the design allow me to leave out the diffuser and keep the switches hidden?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 23:55:52 »
I don't see it on the form, but if I want just another orth PCB and not the plate, how much would that be?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
Re: [GB] Panc40 milled alu keyboard group buy (closes 7/26)
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 09:27:22 »
Order placed. Let’s do this!

One question i haven’t thought about: does the design allow me to leave out the diffuser and keep the switches hidden?

Awesome! Thanks for your order!

Yep, you will be able to build it without either the diffuser or the optional brass middle layer.

I don't see it on the form, but if I want just another orth PCB and not the plate, how much would that be?

That would be $40.

I've gotten messages asking for it to be extended since I announced the GB during a holiday week. I've pushed it out another 7 days to accommodate everyone!

Offline fractl

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 11:16:58 »
The GB form doesn't show photos of the ortho PCB and plate.  The IC shows different layout options for the bottom row of the ortho version, and I assume the plate will support this.  But I like lavender, and was looking at the photo of the lavender case, and the plate in that photo is a full 1u ortho layout with no options for a 2u space or anything else (unless we're talking about a 2u keycap with 2 stems).  So, what's the ortho PCB like?  What options does it really provide?  What does the ortho plate look like?  I like the lavender plate in the photo, and might be willing to go with a full 1u layout to have that plate instead of a universal-style plate that allows for the different bottom row options, but, as I said, haven't seen a photo of either the ortho plate or PCB.  Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but it would be nice if this were clear on the GB page.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 12:21:32 »
The GB form doesn't show photos of the ortho PCB and plate.  The IC shows different layout options for the bottom row of the ortho version, and I assume the plate will support this.  But I like lavender, and was looking at the photo of the lavender case, and the plate in that photo is a full 1u ortho layout with no options for a 2u space or anything else (unless we're talking about a 2u keycap with 2 stems).  So, what's the ortho PCB like?  What options does it really provide?  What does the ortho plate look like?  I like the lavender plate in the photo, and might be willing to go with a full 1u layout to have that plate instead of a universal-style plate that allows for the different bottom row options, but, as I said, haven't seen a photo of either the ortho plate or PCB.  Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but it would be nice if this were clear on the GB page.

I'm sorry, I see where the confusion is! Those pictures are just examples of the color finishes, the keyboards pictured in them don't necessarily correspond to this GB. The one in the Lavender Mist pic is a Campine 60% case, with a 60% ortho plate.

The ortho plate for this case would look like this. Pretty simple and straight-forward.

Sorry again for any confusion. Let me know if that answers your questions, or if I can provide any further clarification.

Offline fractl

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 12:30:15 »

I'm sorry, I see where the confusion is! Those pictures are just examples of the color finishes, the keyboards pictured in them don't necessarily correspond to this GB. The one in the Lavender Mist pic is a Campine 60% case, with a 60% ortho plate.

The ortho plate for this case would look like this. Pretty simple and straight-forward.

Sorry again for any confusion. Let me know if that answers your questions, or if I can provide any further clarification.

Thanks for clearing that up.  A lavender plate would have been pretty nice, but it's not essential.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 15:03:09 »
I was thinking of building this layout: 1 + 1 + 6.25 + 1.25. Do you think the PCB support it? Not the most efficient 40% layout but it looks cute.

Code: [Select]
[{a:7},"","","","","","","","","","","",""],
[{a:4,w:1.25},"1.25",{a:7},"","","","","","","","","",{a:4,w:1.75},"1.75"],
[{w:1.75},"1.75",{a:7},"","","","","","","","","",{a:4,w:1.25},"1.25"],
[{x:1.25,w:1.25},"1.25",{w:1.25},{w:6.25},"6.25",{a:7},"",""]

or

[{x:1.25,w:1},"","",{w:6.25},"6.25",{a:7},{w:1.25},"1.25"]

222688-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 July 2019, 15:38:17 by MMKB »

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 15:04:44 »

Thanks for clearing that up.  A lavender plate would have been pretty nice, but it's not essential.

I thought about offering powdercoated plates, but the color application does add thickness depending on the powder being used, and rather than walk into that minefield, I figured sticking with SS was the safe bet.  :)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 10:54:36 »
I was thinking of building this layout: 1 + 1 + 6.25 + 1.25. Do you think the PCB support it? Not the most efficient 40% layout but it looks cute.

Code: [Select]
[{x:1.25,w:1.25},"1.25",{w:1.25},{w:6.25},"6.25",{a:7},"",""]

or

[{x:1.25,w:1},"","",{w:6.25},"6.25",{a:7},{w:1.25},"1.25"]

(Attachment Link)

Certainly could be feasible! Do you know where the terminal port is on that PCB? That is the real lynchpin.

There is a lot of potential for different layouts and PCBs for this case as well. I am investigating whether a JD40 PCB would work as well. It seems like the terminal port on that is in the perfect location.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 17:55:28 »
Certainly could be feasible! Do you know where the terminal port is on that PCB? That is the real lynchpin.

There is a lot of potential for different layouts and PCBs for this case as well. I am investigating whether a JD40 PCB would work as well. It seems like the terminal port on that is in the perfect location.

Oh I was asking if the Panc40 PCB could do 6.25u spacebar.

I think so too. JD40 has the same port location -- between Esc and Q. Let me know if you ever get to test a JD40 PCB.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 08:13:28 »

Oh I was asking if the Panc40 PCB could do 6.25u spacebar.

I think so too. JD40 has the same port location -- between Esc and Q. Let me know if you ever get to test a JD40 PCB.

Oh, I understand. With the current layouts on the PCB, it's not possible for a fullsize spacebar to be added unfortunately. I'll definitely post if/when I get the JD40. The measurements appear to fit, tho.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 14:52:00 »
We're ~10 orders away from a $15 price drop ($250 -> $235)!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 19:13:21 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2019, 19:15:19 by nasp »

Offline lizardsticks

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 19:26:54 »
Just joined in on an Ancona + Brass plate ^^

Offline MMKB

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 00:30:15 »
"ADDITIONAL 2MM UNDERPLATE FOAM - $7 *" is mandatory on the Google Docs. Can you help me opt out?

Also I submitted an order on panc.com but didn't receive any email confirmation so I submitted again via Google Docs.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 07:57:39 »
"ADDITIONAL 2MM UNDERPLATE FOAM - $7 *" is mandatory on the Google Docs. Can you help me opt out?

Also I submitted an order on panc.com but didn't receive any email confirmation so I submitted again via Google Docs.

Removed the "Required" flag on that question, thanks for grabbing that!

Sorry about the lack of email confirmation, I'll update your order for sure  :thumb:

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 07:58:27 »
Mixing up some ortho goodness...

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 19:28:43 »
Mixing up some ortho goodness...

Show Image

Great price on the foam. Didn't realize that was an option. I'll have to add it!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
Re: [GB] Panc40 group buy - PRICE DROP!!! (closes 7/26)
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 08:21:07 »
We just hit the MOQ to get a price drop from $250 to $235! Really excited, thanks to all participants who are supporting this GB!

Offline MMKB

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 12:54:50 »
hi Alex, how are we looking now?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 17:09:45 »
hi Alex, how are we looking now?

Everything is continuing apace!

production is underway at going well at the factory for the cases. Switchplates should be here shortly
PCBs have been ordered and should arrive for assembly in a couple weeks. I have all the hardware and USB-C cables here, packaged and ready to be dropped into the boxes. I'll send out an email update with the above later tonight for everyone's records. Also, Shensmobile and I have created a discord dedicated to our projects, I'll be updating on both but more info and other projects will be discussed over there:

https://discord.gg/ESNaKWj

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
Re: [GB] Panc40 group buy - Parts in hand! Beginning post-treatment
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 18:46:31 »

Parts are in! Tolerances are sublime, the pieces look exceptionally produced and I'm very pleased with everything that has been sent. I'm QCing, blasting and painting everything and am pushing to have all orders ready to ship in 2 weeks.

I'll take pics of completed parts and build fitting ASAP. Thanks everyone who helped make these a reality!

Offline MMKB

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 12:15:46 »
Machining seems super clean. Finger-crossed for the painting! I'm still wondering if JD40 would fit the USB opening (assuming the switch spacing is the same as Panc40)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 20:57:48 »
Machining seems super clean. Finger-crossed for the painting! I'm still wondering if JD40 would fit the USB opening (assuming the switch spacing is the same as Panc40)

I think it's going to come out great!

Working hard on getting everything sorted out for everyone. Will have more pics as everything gets finished up.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
Re: [GB] Panc40 group buy - QCing/treating
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 18:36:28 »
Glamour shot of the Sebright, now with more fuzz on my deskmat!

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:22:37 »
This is looking fabulous Alec!

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 10:21:01 »
I must have been putting off some serious vibes, because I hadn't looked at this thread of thought about these boards in like 3 months...
I was looking at it this morning, and not 10 minutes later, in comes an email update.

Glad to see things moving along :)

Offline billis

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 16:44:32 »
Will the keyboard be put on config.QMK.fm soon? I want to alter the pcb layout :)

Offline 1corazon

Re: [GB] Panc40 group buy - Complete
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 17:20:32 »
Is this still in the group buy stage or have i missed this one ?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
Re: [GB] Panc40 group buy - Complete
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 18:00:28 »
Nope, this round is over, but R2 is going on right meow:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109771