Author Topic: What Model M connection is this?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Roguemaster8

What Model M connection is this?
« on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:03:58 »
This picture is taken from the back of a Model M 1390120 that was manufactured in January 1987.
I knew the earlier models used AT connections but was wondering if a PS/2 cable from Unicomp would fit and work just as well.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42032[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the help, I've never owned a Model M before, so my knowledge of them is fairly limited.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

fossala

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:06:05 »
SDL. Doesn't say much as both ps2 and at connections used SDL's as there socket.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:37:55 by fossala »

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:11:23 »
The one I'm looking at doesn't come with a cable, and researching it I found out it uses an AT cable.
Does this mean I would need to buy an AT cable and then an AT to PS/2 converter to get it to work?

fossala

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:29:51 »
The model number you are looking at seems to be an AT model.
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9231/subcatid/0/id/112510

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:35:47 »
I see, thanks for the link.

Does anyone know of a retailer selling AT cables?

fossala

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 02:40:13 »
I cannot find any, at the cheap price of model M's in the US wouldn't it be just cheaper to get a ps/2 model?

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 03:03:42 »
Wanted the 1390120 for collecting reasons, and also found a cheap sale for one for $15.

Just was checking to see if finding an AT cable was possible. Or if I could interface it some other way.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 07:39:18 »
The 120 should work with either cable, AT or PS2, black or beige. I have never had a 120 but I have had a couple of 131s and I think they are the same.

I am pretty sure that the originals came with a "short" black coiled cable with the large 180 degree DIN connector. That one should work with a DIN-to-PS2 adapter.

Those would be less desirable for someone actually using the board, but I understand that you want the old one for collecting. I might have 2 of those, if I find the extra I would consider selling it to you.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 13:28:26 »
Thanks for all the replies. I would like to start a collection but having fully working models would be nice too.