Author Topic: Strange thing to us as a mouse pad  (Read 4440 times)

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
Strange thing to us as a mouse pad
« on: Sun, 17 August 2008, 14:18:02 »
I was trying to adjust to the extra width of the IBM Model M Keyboard. The reach to the mouse was too long. I tried it on the left side of the keyboard but it was awkward and the mouse pad kept moving around. I thought, "Maybe if I use a place mat as a mouse pad, I can put it partially under the keyboard to hold it in place". I tried it but then the keyboard was wobbly. I sat and looked at it for a few minutes and suddenly a flashbulb went off over my head (figurative speaking, I use them with my Speed Graphic and would not waste one like that).

You would think it would get in the way down there, but it does not seem to. The trick is to put it where it is between your wrists when you are typing. I did that by centering he cursor on the screen and then picking up the mouse and moving to to a point just below the "B" key. I find that instead of lifting my hand and moving it all the way to the end of the keyboard, I can just bend my arm at the elbow and my hand is on the mouse, bend it back and my hand is on the keyboard.

I will not know until I use it this way for awhile just how well I will wind up liking the idea. I figure I will have to give it at least a week because I keep moving my hand to the right end of the keyboard and then after hesitating bringing it back to the new mouse position. I do not think it would work for people who have their keyboard and mouse on a slide out tray, but for those of us who work on the table top it may be a better way to catch a mouse.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 August 2008, 15:24:42 »
Don't the glasses get in the way?  ;)

I like having my keyboard close (and I do use a keyboard tray when I am in my office)....I'm definitely interested in hearing how you like your new setup in a few weeks.

Offline graywolf

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 August 2008, 15:48:41 »
Quote from: iMav;7450
Don't the glasses get in the way?  ;)

I like having my keyboard close (and I do use a keyboard tray when I am in my office)....I'm definitely interested in hearing how you like your new setup in a few weeks.

Nah, They are on my face when I am using the computer. I refuse to wear trifocals, bifocals are bad enough. They usually hang over the top edge of the smaller monitor when I am not wearing them or taking photos of my retro computer setup.

OK, I will do a post, pro, or con.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 August 2008, 16:51:44 »
I think it's a neat idea as well. I'm interested in your thoughts after some time too.

Offline graywolf

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 August 2008, 16:09:38 »
Well, it has been a week and the mouse is still there. I find I like it just a bit farther to the left than when I started using it there, about under the "C" key. I did move the keyboard over in front of the small monitor so it is now parallel to the edge of the desk. That way I can turn my chair to the left and browse with my forearm laying along the desk with the mouse in the same position. The posed photos below show what I mean (Note: you can not see my main monitor in them as it is diagonally to the left of me).

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 August 2008, 16:51:11 »
That looks like it is working out pretty slick.  

I can rest my right arm on my right arm rest (of my chair) and have my hand resting comfortably on my Trackman Marble Wheel.  But, I use a pull out keyboard tray.

Given your computing environment, that looks like a real comfortable way to mouse around the web.

Offline victheslik

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 August 2008, 16:57:03 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:07:27 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline graywolf

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 10:30:34 »
By the way I thought I would mention that I do not actually type with my wrists down on the table top. I use my arm muscles to press the keys with the hinge at the elbows instead of the wrists. When I first learned to type I used only my fingers, that is what causes the problems like CTS. Nowadays, they teach typists to use the arm muscles and keep the wrists bent down so the pressure is only on the tips of the fingers. It looks strange, but they seem to be able to type just as fast as ever. The keyboard has to be mounted pretty low to do it like that. I tried it and found it difficult to make the change so I came up with my hybrid method, I still move my fingers to select the key, but use my forearms to press it.

The strange thing about CTS is that millions of secretaries typed for a hundred years with no problems, then executives got computers and it became a major problem overnight.

Offline graywolf

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 September 2008, 16:50:51 »
OK, after another week, I have given up on that.

Not because it is not convenient, it is, but because I have found that if I nudge the mouse with my arm at the same time I hit a key, I get all kinds of wierd things happening. Seems to turn them into control key combinations. It took me awhile to figure out what was happening, I was thinking there was something wrong with the Model-M.

Offline wellington1869

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3