Author Topic: What did you find today? (e-cycler, thrift store, dumpster & garage sale finds!)  (Read 35404 times)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Can't believe I couldn't find a current thread on this. I know quite a few of us dig through the local thrift shop hoping to find the one decent board in the pile of Quiet Keys and MS Naturals.

Anyway, post your in-person finds, be it Goodwill, Weird Stuff, garage sales, etc!

I'll start us off with these Alps boards I found at a hole-in-the-wall computer store in Oakland this morning.

NIB (bag, no box :/) Omnikey (white clicky Alps)
Dell with black tactile Alps

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
my real father
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Jwaz you got an Omnikey?? Go back and grab me one!

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Nice score. Never tried alps.

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
fellow oaklander? awww yeh

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Can't believe I couldn't find a current thread on this. I know quite a few of us dig through the local thrift shop hoping to find the one decent board in the pile of Quiet Keys and MS Naturals.

Anyway, post your in-person finds, be it Goodwill, Weird Stuff, garage sales, etc!

I'll start us off with these Alps boards I found at a hole-in-the-wall computer store in Oakland this morning.

Show Image

NIB (bag, no box :/) Omnikey (white clicky Alps)
Dell with black tactile Alps

Wow lucky! Went to like 4 places and the only 1 board that was any what eye catching was an IBM rubber dome ha..

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
a different sort of input device:

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 May 2014, 17:33:57 by jwaz »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Show Image

Show Image

Oh man I remember the ads for the power glove. It looked so awesome. Got one for Christmas and it was pretty useless lol. Looks rad though.

Offline brainT

I work for an e-cycle/resale company. We had a rather large collection even yesterday and this beauty turned up.  I asked my boss to set it aside so I could buy it later and he just told me to take it! Almost nabbed a nice ALPs board as well but on of the volunteers trashed it before I could put it in the keeper pile.

[img]https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1010880_10151993118250964_330604634400882140_n.jpg/img]

Offline Kliee

This is really a cool find! Plus it seems to be in great condition.

Too bad for the ALPS board, but just this 1390131 is already awesome. I whish I could get one like this!

Topre Realforce 104UB | IBM model M 1391401 (1987 & 1991), 52G9658 (1993), 51G8572 (1994) | Unicomp Customizer 105 (fr) | Unicomp Customizer 101 | Cherry G80-3000 MX Clear | Noppoo Choc Mini Mx Blue | Steelseries Steelkeys 6G V1 Mx Black

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
I work for an e-cycle/resale company. We had a rather large collection even yesterday and this beauty turned up.  I asked my boss to set it aside so I could buy it later and he just told me to take it! Almost nabbed a nice ALPs board as well but on of the volunteers trashed it before I could put it in the keeper pile.

Show Image

Great find on the Model M!

From DT Wiki:
1390131 Appearing at the same time as the 1390120, the 1390131 was associated with certain variants of the PC AT, as well as the XT 286. It differed from the 1390120 by having lock lights. It could be considered the same as the 1388032, except in the standard white colour, and with a metallic IBM logo label.

• Show Image
      IBM PC AT Keyboard, Part Number 1390131. This can be distinguished from the more common 1391401 by the square metal IBM logo on the top right of the keyboard.

What Alps board was trashed? I'm kind of jealous that you get to work for an E-cycler, so much good stuff gets thrown away :/

Offline brainT

I was shocked when I saw it! We have another, newer one sitting at the warehouse with a healthy coating of dust thats next on my list.  My boss is pretty cool about grabbing stuff.  There's so much that comes in but only so much that is worth selling.  Even with the salable stuff so much gets torn down for good because we don't have the space or manpower to actually sell it again.  There's a Thinkpad 300 sitting in our "to the junker" crate that I'll probably end up pulling and adding to my tech to refurb stash. 

It's a dangerous place to work for someone that likes old tech...

This is the Alps board that I didn't get to in time: http://www.uneedus.com/alps.html
I'm hoping that it just got buried in a crate and not destroyed.  As long as the volunteers didn't smash it I should be able to get it going again as we tend to just cut the cords to sell for the copper and ship the rest out to be broken down further elsewhere.

Edited: Wrong link...

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Found this UK ISO Olivetti G81 on a classified ad last week.. Got it for £10 shipped. Should be here next week. It looks like it's in good condition with no yellowing. I just hope there's no shine..

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Found this UK ISO Olivetti G81 on a classified ad last week.. Got it for £10 shipped. Should be here next week. It looks like it's in good condition with no yellowing. I just hope there's no shine..

Show Image

Wow scored. Looks very clean.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

Show Image

Deal of the year?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Deal of the year?
If it doesn't have any shine then it might be a contender! :cool: Not sure what the market value is though. I've never seen UK ISO Olivetti (except one that tinnie found on ebay, but nobody got), and I've only ever seen 1 or 2 Olivetti doubleshot sets in good condition.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline tinlong117

Show Image

Deal of the year?
No.

Offline tinlong117

Deal of the year?
If it doesn't have any shine then it might be a contender! :cool: Not sure what the market value is though. I've never seen UK ISO Olivetti (except one that tinnie found on ebay, but nobody got), and I've only ever seen 1 or 2 Olivetti doubleshot sets in good condition.

Oh **** :/

Offline intelli78

No keyboards lately, but I found this for $25.00 at an antique store:

haven't built it yet, but it looks complete.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode

Show Image

Nice find! I was going to guess 80s but it's late 70s.

From what I can tell that's a pretty great price for something like this though I'm not really in the know on vintage Legos.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all

Show Image

I only collect Bionicles, but that seems like a great price. :thumb:

Offline intelli78

I vaguely remember Bionicles, but I think that was mostly after I stopped playing with Legos  :p

Nice find! I was going to guess 80s but it's late 70s.

From what I can tell that's a pretty great price for something like this though I'm not really in the know on vintage Legos.

I'd say so! I'd buy 300+ piece vintage Lego sets all day long for $25 a pop.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all

I vaguely remember Bionicles, but I think that was mostly after I stopped playing with Legos  :p
I just love the complex design of the older Bionicles, and the lore was fantastic!

Offline tinlong117

I found these.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I found these.
Show Image

For free? Confused...

Offline narlzac85

$2 Focus FK-555 from Goodwill. Seems to be in perfect shape, except for a little grime.

66105-0
66107-1
66109-2

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Any plans for the switches? Maybe a Kingsaver :p

Just realized we have all kinds of awesome Alps finds

Offline narlzac85

I have no current plans for this keyboard other than using it for a while. I'm not likely to tear it apart.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
I have no current plans for this keyboard other than using it for a while. I'm not likely to tear it apart.

You don't have to take anything apart.  Just enjoy a really good bargain that very few of us here on Geekhack could ever get  :thumb: .

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode

You don't have to take anything apart.  Just enjoy a really good bargain that very few of us here on Geekhack could ever get  :thumb: .

It ain't like that, you just gotta dig through a bunch of trash. Rouger just came through the Bay and picked up a Model F 122 and an AT from one of my local spots...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Hey how do you guys get keyboards from E-Cyclers? I went to one here and they said they don't offer any electronics (keyboards) to anyone. Do you have to go to a private owned one and not the county?

Offline zenuty

• WTS : Duck, Pla, Acrylic 3 Pokers
Show Image

Show Image

Wow That was my children device a long time ago
Very Good
LINE ID : zenuty
Skype ID : zenuty
www.facebook.com/zenuty

Offline brainT

Hey how do you guys get keyboards from E-Cyclers? I went to one here and they said they don't offer any electronics (keyboards) to anyone. Do you have to go to a private owned one and not the county?

Some have stores/ebay sales (like the one I work for), and others it may just be cool about it I would imagine.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs

Some have stores/ebay sales (like the one I work for), and others it may just be cool about it I would imagine.

Oh alright I was assuming it was just the one I went to. Thanks!

Offline brainT

No problem! Just check around to find one that does more than just strait up recycle the stuff.  The one I work for is a non-profit which leaves us pretty limited on what we can actually rescue and put back out into the world with how limited we are on money and manpower.  The stuff that end up in our "dumpster" make me cringe from time to time.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs

No problem! Just check around to find one that does more than just strait up recycle the stuff.  The one I work for is a non-profit which leaves us pretty limited on what we can actually rescue and put back out into the world with how limited we are on money and manpower.  The stuff that end up in our "dumpster" make me cringe from time to time.

Oh wow, yeah that makes perfect sense. Damn I bet! Thanks,

Offline brainT

The nostalgia hit me hard when I found this.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
I found an AT101, before I was forced to go offline; asked, if they had more stuff like that... didn't get any specific answer, but a 700% price rise and a claim that the fugly AT101 was #vintage #rare #collectible. Screw 'em.

Offline brainT

Space invader switches and a big ass enter.  I think I'm in love (typing on it now).

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
Space invader switches and a big ass enter.  I think I'm in love (typing on it now).
Show Image

I have that exact board that I rescued form an e-recycler. I like it, but I could not get used to the tiny backspace. Still, nice find. I think space invaders are very pleasant to type on.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Show Image

Clickey Space Invaders? I agree with whiskeytango a lot of boards from this OEM with the tiny backspace have great switches but I just can't hand the 1U spacing.

Offline brainT

Show Image

I have that exact board that I rescued form an e-recycler. I like it, but I could not get used to the tiny backspace. Still, nice find. I think space invaders are very pleasant to type on.

I love the switches but the backspace is going to take some time to get used to.  They're firmly on my list of things to look for now.

Working for an e-cycler is just dangerous, there are so many coolthings that come through our doors/loading dock that just get torn down for a full on recycling. If I brought every cool piece of old tech home my fiancee would kill me...

Offline brainT

Picked up a blue label Model M today!  Now I just need a SSK to complete the family, I'll post a pic when I get it cleaned and all of them together.

Offline brainT

MX blacks and ML's. 

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Show Image

SOME FINE LITERATURE YOU FOUND YOURSELF THERE!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Picked up a blue label Model M today!  Now I just need a SSK to complete the family, I'll post a pic when I get it cleaned and all of them together.

Nice! I still need to find an ecycler that sells stuff too.

Offline Findecanor

I have a cold, so I'm sitting at home instead of going to the large open-air flea market. :(

Offline brainT

Nice! I still need to find an ecycler that sells stuff too.

I work for one so it's extra dangerous but we are working on getting online sales going, and I'm hoping get mechanicals lumped into that category as they don't really sell well in the store.  And my fiancee will kill me if I keep buying them to rescue them from the junk bin...
Show Image

SOME FINE LITERATURE YOU FOUND YOURSELF THERE!

Only the best! Now if only some usable installation media would come in so I could slap it on a old machine and set it up in the shop for giggles...