Author Topic: Dream Hobbies You Would Get Into IF You Could Afford Them  (Read 27894 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Dream Hobbies You Would Get Into IF You Could Afford Them
« on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 16:56:28 »
We all have hobbies we dream of but can't afford. Or even normal hobbies we still can't afford.
What do you love in your heart but know you will never ever have the opportunity to get really into? besides your mom

For me it would be cars for sure. I can't even afford a regular car to drive, let alone a hanger of dream vehicles. Before I could even talk I was really into cars. As a toddler I would run up to them on the street or in a parking lot, probably almost getting killed and giving my mother a heart attack constantly. We'd be walking and I'd just bolt off into the street to run up to the window of some cool passing vehicle. I was a smart child. And that love carried on through grade school, and adult years where on a daily biases I watch car shows in the background, just dreaming. And yet still I do not own a vehicle. It's like a horny virgin working at a strip club. It's just torture. I actually get angry when I watch Jay Leno because of my personal pettiness  ;D

So just like finding happiness, or job satisfaction, I know in my heart I will never ever be able to get into cars on the level I want to.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Dream Hobbies You Would Get Into IF You Could Afford Them
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 17:53:55 »
People have different evaluations on hobby costs.

For example, an expensive car,  isn't that expensive if the goal was just to own one, and drive it from time to time.

However, let's say you want to play piano well, that's 10 years of dedicated practice, regardless if you play a cheap $5000 piano vs a $200,000 Shigeru.

You can make more money in the time it takes to get good at Piano, than the $200,000 it'd cost to buy the best piano.

Then there's people who's idea of an expensive hobby, is just from the perspective of SHOPPING. It's kind of like birds nesting, picking up shiny pebbles and dropping them near the nest.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 18:07:30 »
So you get into pianos? Is that what you're trying to say?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 18:12:19 »
Oh yeah, cars for sure.

Before I got into this I was actually doing autocross. It was a lot of fun but it's a lot of wear and tear on your car. I was always nervous I was going to kill my daily driver. I actually probably spend as much money on this as I did on cars but my wife much prefers that as it's safer  ;D :thumb:

My other hobby is writing. Ties into this nicely and costs nothing!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 20:42:28 »
Also rare and obscure arcade cabinets, with a focus on '90s Japanese arcade exclusives. It would be really cool to turn the pool house into your own private Galloping Ghost.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 23:51:07 »
High end DIY audio, building large horn, open baffle and dipole speakers.

It's totally impractical where I currently live due to space constraints. No space for a workshop, for large speakers, and extremely limited access to exotic woods.

This will have to wait until a country move.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2020, 00:04:08 by jamster »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 00:34:23 »
High end DIY audio, building large horn, open baffle and dipole speakers.

It's totally impractical where I currently live due to space constraints. No space for a workshop, for large speakers, and extremely limited access to exotic woods.

This will have to wait until a country move.

That is such an obscure and expensive hobby I didn't know it existed.

I knew that vinyl enthusiasts and digital audio enthusiasts had multi thousand dollar setups, but I didn't know that there was a custom building scene. I guess if you take some room measurements or something you could hypothetically engineer a soundsystem specifically made for you. Does the wood matter?

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 00:49:36 »
The DIY part makes it inherently cheap.  Wood and high quality drivers don't get crazy expensive and you'd be hard pressed to spend more than several thousand,  the expensive part is having the space for a workshop, and a dedicated listening room, which isn't practical where I am based :(

And yes, measurements are an important part of the process. Helps you tune the equipment, helps reduce or identify listening biases, helps you understand the room.

High end audio (without the DIY) is where it gets expensive. It's very easy to find 10K amps, 50K speakers. There is a crazy amount of magical thinking in audio, and developing an interest in the DIY side of things helps combat this.

The wood generally doesn't matter, it's more an aesthetic choice. There's a very good case to be made for using high quality plywood for stability reasons (solid woods risk warping over time) then veneering the cabinets. The main thing is you want the material to be stiff but not resonate. Wood is generally good at damping, whereas something like metal is terrible.

Vinyl- that looks like a nightmare of equipment selection and optimisation, then you need wads of space for a collection. I never want to go down that route :)

This is what I'd want to build when I have the space, though theses don't involve woodwork at all. http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Design.htm
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2020, 00:56:21 by jamster »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 06:19:54 »
I don't know there's anything I would want to takeover my life without trying it for a while but I often wonder how much time I'd have spent skiing or snowboarding if I lived somewhere with snow and mountains.  Crazy motocross tricks also look fun but can't be cheap even before considering lost income so that will never happen.  I've also always been fascinated by archery but again can't do that at home as need way more land and transporting a 'weapon' other than in a motor vehicle would surely be frowned on (this one is still possible and doesn't require a huge financial outlay)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 07:02:41 »
Def aircraft. Id love to own a hobby aircraft but my eyes are too **** to ever get a pilots license i think and the cost is extremely prohibiting besides that :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 07:53:42 »
Def aircraft. Id love to own a hobby aircraft but my eyes are too **** to ever get a pilots license i think and the cost is extremely prohibiting besides that :(

Tp4 has been in a helicopter and small prop several times.  It's extremely loud, shaky and uncomfortable. I can understand if you can hobby all the way up to a private jet, but everything smaller than that is less fun than it looks on tv.

Offline jamster

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 07:58:52 »

Tp4 has been in a helicopter and small prop several times.  It's extremely loud, shaky and uncomfortable. I can understand if you can hobby all the way up to a private jet, but everything smaller than that is less fun than it looks on tv.

I'm sure it's a very different experience if you're the pilot, and owner.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 18:07:04 »
everything smaller than that is less fun than it looks on tv. [/size][/color][/font]

I have also been in a few helicopters and this statement is totally false and insane.

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 23:05:56 »
everything smaller than that is less fun than it looks on tv. [/size][/color][/font]

I have also been in a few helicopters and this statement is totally false and insane.

My experience riding in a helicopter reminded me of the thrills of a roller coaster but way better.

Also do hookers and blackjack count as a hobby?
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2020, 23:07:52 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 04:45:16 »
I would like to step up my existing hobbies. I like building prop replicas but can't afford that many custom-made parts of metal. My collection is small, and instead of having spent much money, I have instead spent more time on pieces of mostly plastic. I wish I had a shop with tools and space and ventilation for making stuff in. A CNC mill and a 3D printer are on my wish list.

Also: travel.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 05:12:21 »

I mean i ride a very shaky, loud and windy motorbike every day right now so it cant be all that much worse  ;D

And id want to do the piloting and mechanic work like i do with my motorbikes. I find wrenching on things very fun, insightful and satisfying. Same with computers and keyboards, the putting them together part is the best part for me  :)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 05:39:01 »
100% solar and greenhouses.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:14:12 »
If money was not an issue I'd totally dig buying the biggest sailboat (I'm a bit claustrophobic so a small one wouldn't do) I could get while still being to sail by myself (without needing a crew).  For about 300 K EUR you can find say a used Jeanneau 57: if I had that and then enough to pay the marina, the maintenance, etc. and wouldn't risk bankruptcy, I'd totally be into that (and there's a marina 20 minutes from my place).
Here's what it looks like (it's a bit crazy, it's a dream, but not totally unthinkable, so maybe one day):

245649-0

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 05:42:27 »
Watched a few of those trapped on a sailboat, get really skinny movies + sharks.  No thanks too dangeros.

Offline jamster

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 05:46:47 »
Watched a few of those trapped on a sailboat, get really skinny movies + sharks.  No thanks too dangeros.

The impression I am getting in this thread is that your ideal hobby is collecting keyboards and staying indoors. Am I right?

Offline CoolMike

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 21:29:45 »
Would love to move to Cali one day (I'm an North Easterner) and own a nice house in So-Cal with a sick garage layout right of the PCH.

Collecting cars has always been a dream, 1 of everything in white like Paul Walker had. No bias besides rare commodities and and fast cars.

Would also love to a have shop space with lifts fully outfitted with the best tools to do work / builds etc. in the most OCD layout lol.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 22:15:45 »
a lot of expensive hobbies can be a whole lot cheaper if you know your ins and outs through them. there will always be exceptions but you definitely don't need bags of money for most hobbies if you know hwere to look.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 23:12:10 »
I would enjoy collecting keycaps.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 05:37:47 »
Would love to move to Cali one day (I'm an North Easterner)...

I'm not american but altogether I spent one year in SoCal (several times three months) and I'd love to live there.  Either in L.A. (with a crush on Pacific Palissade) or San Diego, something like that.  I picked the "second best": where my life is basically spent next to the mediterannean sea (typing this while looking at the sea 200 meters from home).  I'm spending a lot of time in south-eastern France (french riviera) and I bought a house in Spain, near the sea.

I need to live by the sea.  Hence the sailboat dream : )

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 09:57:59 »
I'd buy another mustang if i had the chance

Offline jamster

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 10:06:20 »

I'm not american but altogether I spent one year in SoCal (several times three months) and I'd love to live there.  Either in L.A. (with a crush on Pacific Palissade) or San Diego, something like that.  I picked the "second best": where my life is basically spent next to the mediterannean sea (typing this while looking at the sea 200 meters from home).  I'm spending a lot of time in south-eastern France (french riviera) and I bought a house in Spain, near the sea.

Huh, I imagine there would be some pretty unbeatable upsides to living by the Mediterranean in France or Spain, versus SoCal.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 12:50:38 »

Huh, I imagine there would be some pretty unbeatable upsides to living by the Mediterranean in France or Spain, versus SoCal.

U guys r crzy.. Dem' Sharks + Radioactive oceans.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 08:57:05 »
Collecting rare whiskies! That would be so cool but it is way too expensive a hobby :S

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 09:14:43 »

There are pretty nice upsides, some downsides too and... yeah, I cannot complain  :D

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 14:00:52 »
I'd sure love to be able amass a giant collection of Lego. A whole room full of models I've taken the time to make. A  Lego train set (always wanted one as a kid and my mum could never afford it) of elaborate scale. It's all so damn expensive these days, curse the over-priced plastic :P

The other one I'd love is more about money enabling me to take the time to do it and to travel, rather than about the hobby itself; languages. I've been fascinated with learning languages for ages and my secret desire has always been to be a polyglot. I remember seeing the trailer for City of Angels and the phrase "speak every language" really stuck out to me as this magical ability that I'd love more than any other. I've always held that if I had a wish, that's what I'd go for. It would certainly make coding easy ;)

I'm okay at Swedish, I've forgotten a lot of Italian, and I've been learning Japanese lately and so my dream hobby, if I had the money, would be taking trips to these countries during my annual leave each year so that I could do some immersion learning.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline strongly-typed

• lux et veritas
    • Github
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 23:16:25 »
Oh man, I would so love to learn how to scuba dive.  I want to feel like I'm flying, and go explore the coral reefs before we destroy them, caves, and shipwrecks.  But I need scuba gear, and training, and airplane tickets, and room and board, and money, and vacation time.  Not a cheap hobby :(
Realforce 87U 45g Silent :: Realforce 87U 30g Silent :: Realforce R2 55g :: Niz Plum 87 with 45g topre domes
English | Spanish | Italian | Latin | Portuguese | Mandarin | Cantonese | Japanese | Welsh | OCaml

Offline jamster

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 00:07:57 »
Oh man, I would so love to learn how to scuba dive.  I want to feel like I'm flying, and go explore the coral reefs before we destroy them, caves, and shipwrecks.  But I need scuba gear, and training, and airplane tickets, and room and board, and money, and vacation time.  Not a cheap hobby :(

Scuba diving should be achievable.  It's one set of flights to a cheap country with good diving, then the course, gear rental, accommodation, and food is cheap.

Thought I'm under the impression that a lot of Americans don't have much vacation time, which might be a big challenge.

Offline strongly-typed

• lux et veritas
    • Github
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 01:50:00 »
Need to get out of the paycheck to paycheck rut I'm in... nyc rent ain't cheap and wife is having a harder time finding a job than we expected, especially since we moved into the city literally the month before covid became a thing.

I'm sure it'll be achievable eventually. But for now... I'm just gonna have to get my fix via David Attenborough :))
Realforce 87U 45g Silent :: Realforce 87U 30g Silent :: Realforce R2 55g :: Niz Plum 87 with 45g topre domes
English | Spanish | Italian | Latin | Portuguese | Mandarin | Cantonese | Japanese | Welsh | OCaml

Offline Z41N

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 19:29:59 »
I would love to get into luxury keyboard making lol quit my job, live in a small, nice home, and just lube and assemble stuff basically

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 20:00:56 »
I would love to get into luxury keyboard making lol quit my job, live in a small, nice home, and just lube and assemble stuff basically

That used to be something achievable even just a few years ago, now the mech scene has grown so much you can't really enter the market without spending a bunch of m oney to compete with the big co ops.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 21:54:02 »
My own personal rally track and a bunch of decked out ****ter rockets for my entertainment.

I have no interest in competing.
I have no interest in interacting with others on my rally track.
I have no interest in getting gud.
I have no interest in showing off

I would simply want my own track, that I could drive my fleet of rally cars around. No one else anywhere near me.

People can **** off, this is my rally circuit and you are not welcome.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 04:25:08 »

That used to be something achievable even just a few years ago, now the mech scene has grown so much you can't really enter the market without spending a bunch of m oney to compete with the big co ops.

It’s the same thing with custom PC making too. I’d love to just make water cooling loops all day, it’s like very expensive Lego + plumbing. Much like with keyboards, there’s such a scene on YouTube and reddit that the makers are already pretty well established so unless you get a job working for one of the big sellers like overclockers, or have enough money to set up a boutique high end business, there’s not much of a way into it.

Offline nanomomo

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 23:08:16 »
kinda weird but I'd like to get into custom ball jointed dolls. There's something about the intricacy of painting the doll's face, manually adding hair and styling it, and making clothes for it that really gets my creative bug going. My partner thinks they're creepy and it's a horribly expensive venture if I buy legitimate doll casts and not Chinese replicas, so I'll just have to stick to watching people on yt :/

Offline rgleas

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 23:25:50 »
Quantum Computing and Super Computing.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 03:56:29 »
Quantum Computing and Super Computing.

Make a big enough endowment to a major research university and you could make that dream come true. I will say, super computers/HPC clusters aren't as sexy and exciting as they used to be. That said, our one at work is only fairly modest; 3.5k cores and 20TB RAM and doesn't reach the PFLOP range. Quantum computers on the other hand, so hot right now. Well, cold, but still.

kinda weird but I'd like to get into custom ball jointed dolls. There's something about the intricacy of painting the doll's face, manually adding hair and styling it, and making clothes for it that really gets my creative bug going. My partner thinks they're creepy and it's a horribly expensive venture if I buy legitimate doll casts and not Chinese replicas, so I'll just have to stick to watching people on yt :/

I'm morbidly curious to know how expensive they are. The Hot Toys figures of Marvel characters that are pre-painted come to something like £250-400, so + or - that? hehe

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 16:35:50 »
I know this isn't necessarily expensive, but it would be the way I want to do it.
I've always wanted to make a multi-screen cockpit style high-end PC setup and get super into Elite Dangerous for like a year. Basically make it my job as if I were an actual space cowboy, and blackout all the windows in that room to make it feel like the deck of a ship and get extremely immersed in that game.
But due to budget and time constraints this will never happen. I probably won't ever even play Elite Dangerous.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 18:37:31 »
I’d love to do that, but for Star Citizen. Big hopes for that game, when it comes out of Alpha.

Offline Gower

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 02:45:52 »
Pokémon Cards. Specifically, error cards, personalized cards from old japanese contests, and oddities like that.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Illustration_contests#Japanese_competition

This has a pretty comprehensive list of contests and which cards were more uniquely distributed, the first contest only gave out 20 copies of each winners illustration on a card. Theres also rare cards that were given to TCG contest winners, and through online fan groups in the 90's. There are so many unique and interesting vintage cards, I just wish they were available more often, and if they were, that I could afford some lol.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 04:57:42 »
Luxury Watches, custom pocket knives and maybe some vintage cars. I know nothing about cars, so id image finding someone to repair/maintain them would be crazy expensive. Id enjoy driving them however.

I would also like to expand my classical men’s wear collection with some higher end modern and vintage pieces. I have an interest in 40s to early 60s classical men’s clothing, and creating such a wardrobe would be very expensive. Also, some bespoke suits, leather shoes and hats would be nice.

I also like vintage furniture, especially from the 50s and 60s. Such pieces in good condition can unfortunately cost a lot of money.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 02:49:27 »
Now I want to buy a giant boat and just cruise around the ocean picking up trash. I'll ride that **** like Lt. Dan.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 15:00:47 »
I wish I could play the piano like Hugh Laurie.

Piano practice is an expensive time expense,  but thank god at least pianos themselves are affordable to nearly everyone in the 1st world.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 15:04:23 »
I wish I could play the piano like Hugh Laurie.

Piano practice is an expensive time expense,  but thank god at least pianos themselves are affordable to nearly everyone in the 1st world.

I feel like, if anything, space is the biggest obstacle to most people owning a piano. Ever want a grand? Just find a pianist downsizing their apartment :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 18:17:00 »
I feel like, if anything, space is the biggest obstacle to most people owning a piano. Ever want a grand? Just find a pianist downsizing their apartment :P

Grands are imho inappropriate for homes without very tall ceilings, 15-20feet,  the sound is imho too loud and suffocating.  They're really not designed for that.  They're designed to fill large venues.

Even baby grands are imho too loud.

A console sized or a regular upright is a better choice.     When you have loud pianos in a small space, it's hard to utilize the dynamics because even the softest playing sounds like forte.

Digital pianos today sound really good, and are very space conserving, I think these are by far the best for home use.