Author Topic: IBM M4 Listed - Whoops, just bought it  (Read 6116 times)

Offline DrunkenDonut

IBM M4 Listed - Whoops, just bought it
« on: Sat, 04 July 2009, 22:34:06 »
Nice find. I'm still looking for a black M4-1. I've seen them before but didn't get them at the time. Maybe I should have. I'll settle for a beige one but the first one I saw had a missing key.

I'm starting to bring more keyboards to work just to have them at close-by workstations. I can't possibly use them all at home. :D
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 06:30:56 »
The black ones show up every now and then, particularly from Brian O' Neill's IBM shop.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 09:11:15 »
A friend of mind has one of those Lexmark M4-1 trackpoint keyboards. It's a good quality board and has a numlock light even though there's no trace of a number pad.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 09:16:17 »
You don't like the springy keyboard cables? It's just so nice how they curl them up so they're short and when you try to extend them, they just spring back.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 12:20:48 »
It's a good quality board and has a numlock light even though there's no trace of a number pad.

There's an optional one availabe that plugs into the RJ45-shaped SDL port on the back. Unicomp still sells them on their site.

it just adds a compatibility headache with modern machines.

Howso? I haven't had any issues.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 15:58:55 »
Most IBM/Lexmark keyboards with integrated pointing devices only have issues with old operating systems like Windows 31 where a driver is required. A friend of mine has an M4-1 and it's perfectly compatible with his Windows XP computer. My M5-2 is perfectly with my computer which runs Windows 2000.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 16:39:28 »
FWIW, my M4-1 works fine in ubuntu 9-04. No drivers or voodoo needed.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline pfink

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 16:54:50 »
Quote from: ripster;101294
I called Unicomp - Chuck said he had never seen a straight SDL cable but maybe he was having a bad day.

There's a picture of one that was sold at clickykeyboards.com, that's the only one I've ever seen.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 17:02:32 »

Offline bigpook

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 14:06:36 »
The M4 is not a bad keyboard. Short key throw with a bit of feel. The pointing stick is good and the keyboard is small enough to fit in my laptop bag. Sorry its not working out for webwit though.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 14:41:15 »
Quote from: webwit;102098
I really can't see me developing any love for them. So that makes iMav the troll. He gets everyone to buy the Filco with blue cherries (the "iMav edition") or these M4's to name just two examples. No good. I suspect Mr. Hoax runs various characters on this site and others, such as majestouch and ebay brian, and makes a million selling the unsellable.

haha

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 15:00:52 »
Quote from: ripster;101326
Rub it in with a pic of TWO of them.
Your wish is my command!

Ambras. Not sure if the US versions have straight cables but might be worth a saved search on ebay.

Off topic but I think I'm going to blank one of these into an all white Model M.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2009, 15:56:17 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 17:06:34 »
did i mention i pissed off the esteemed brian?  I tried to swap one keyb for another, he said fine, then charged me for return shipping, which I didnt expect. Which is fine, but I told him he should mention that in his return policy. Next thing I know I received a *very* sarcastic email informing me of the type of low lifeform I was, and he was giving me the shipping back but I was "banned" from his store forever more. Whatever. Seemed like a bit of an over-reaction, but you never know who you'll meet online :)

And anyway I took it as a sign from the gods to not keep buying keyboards that I dont need. :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 17:16:18 »
Quote from: webwit;102140
Show Image

NO MORE KEYBOARDS FOR YOU!

lol! exactly :D

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 21:40:01 »
Quote from: ripster;102163

Banned from ClickeyKeyboards!!!  Welly, I told you not to tell him he looks like the  Numa Numa Kid!!

lol, not clickykeyboards, I meant ebay brian (_oneil). Or is he associated with clickykeyboards.com? damn. oh well.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 21:45:23 »
My cable is coiled and seems to be way oversized for what it has to do. I like the pointing stick though. I don't have to carry a mouse around with me and its good enough for what I need to do at work. At the house I would pass on the pointing stick. Trackballs rule, but I don't really feel like carrying around a Kensington expert...  : )

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 July 2009, 22:04:31 »
Quote from: ripster;102173
Webwit likes Brian.  Brian likes Webwit. Case closed. :biggrin:

come to think of it, we've never seen them both in the same room at the same time...  :D

Offline pfink

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 00:45:45 »
Quote from: ripster;102179
I put in a saved search for Ambra keyboards (none there currently on US Ebay) to keep looking for that elusive straight one.

So some of the Ambra Ms came with removable straight cables? Mine has an attached coiled cable, it's got a date of 12/15/93. Would the ones with straight cables have come before or after?
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2009, 00:48:36 by pfink »

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 01:42:25 »
Quote from: ripster;102179
Oh man, you QFT'd me.  I had edited that out.

This keyboard came with an extra long SDL cable with IBM logo which adds at least another 4 feet to length.  I put in a saved search for Ambra keyboards (none there currently on US Ebay) to keep looking for that elusive straight one.

I'm not too happy with typing on a rubber dome again.  It's no Topre.  I'll give it another day before posting some impressions.

When you do the review take the thing apart and show us how those rubber domes are made. Just wondering.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 10:45:04 »
Quote from: ripster;102211

I know when somebody is trying to influence a review!

dont worry rippy, webwit thinks everything on earth stinks (except himself; he only stinks 'ironically') ;D

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 13:08:34 »
Quote from: pfink;102187
So some of the Ambra Ms came with removable straight cables? Mine has an attached coiled cable, it's got a date of 12/15/93. Would the ones with straight cables have come before or after?

Is yours white? Some, maybe all US Ambras were different than the Europe ones. I can check the dates tomorrow.

Quote from: ripster;102207
Jeez, just got it and the poor thing will be taken apart.  And I've just gotten used to being on a laptop style board again - it's not as bad as my first impression. Not as mushy as the A4Tech or Logitech.  Definite tactile bump but short key throw means constant bottoming out for me.

How's the contact made?

Offline pfink

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 13:58:31 »
Quote from: lowpoly;102231

Is yours white? Some, maybe all US Ambras were different than the Europe ones. I can check the dates tomorrow.

It's the standard Model M beige color:

It's got a "Manufactured by Lexmark" label and the part # is 1378160.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 14:03:27 »
Quote from: ripster;102207
Jeez, just got it and the poor thing will be taken apart.  And I've just gotten used to being on a laptop style board again - it's not as bad as my first impression. Not as mushy as the A4Tech or Logitech.  Definite tactile bump but short key throw means constant bottoming out for me.

Yea I just bought a old model Compaq computer for $100 new 3.4Ghz decent little computer for the price. But any ways it came with this really crappy laptop style rubber dome key board. What a piece of junk. Took it apart just for grins then threw it in the trash. The only redeeming feature of the construction was how the keys were mounted to the keyboard. Made the keys pretty much have no play in them at all. Other than that really a piece of junk. I really hate short throw keyboards.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 12 July 2009, 14:23:51 »
Quote from: pfink;102239
It's the standard Model M beige color:

It's got a "Manufactured by Lexmark" label and the part # is 1378160.

Those are different than the UK made ones. Looks like ripster can delete his saved search. :-(

Here's the thread with some Ambra background.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 04:49:56 »
As far as M4/M4-1's are concerned...

I love the short key travel and feel of the buckling rubber sleeve.  No mush whatsoever.  Feels a lot like the older thinkpad keyboards (except stiffer).  

All of the M4's I have received NIB have the straight cables.  (all of the M4-1's have the coiled y-cables)  

I typically pick them up for around $35 NIB (Unicomp really needs to adjust their pricing)...so they are my favorite economy 'board that I can deploy around the house, leave at various work locations, etc.

The more of you that DON'T like these, the better for me.  I plan to continue to horde them.