Author Topic: [IC] Haven60 - A Distinct & Premium 60% | WK, HHKB | NEW Prototypes has arrived!  (Read 11305 times)

Offline Garner

Haven60 by Garner
...is a universal keyboard made to fit most standard 60% PCBs

This keyboard is sold without PCB to allow you to use your own choice of PCB while still having a unique and beautiful case.
Split shift, space or backspace? ANSI or ISO? Arrow keys or HHKB? It's all possible.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

--> IC FORM <--

The IC form has been updated with sales related questions to help me plan the GB.
The design related questions has been removed as the keyboard is pretty much finished, thank you for the feedback!

Join the Discord channel to dicuss the project and receive news.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

R2 Prototype Photos

Stone Grey full album

Earth Brown full album

Ocean Blue is still being color matched. Unfortunately I was not fully satisfied with how the dark blue color turned out so a new piece is in the making right now and will be revealed as soon as it's ready.

News/Updates

Update 6 (17th Sep 2021)
- Added pictures of the new R2 prototypes in its final color finishes.
- Cleaning up the IC thread.
- The Ocean Blue finish is still being color matched.

Update 5 (22nd Aug 2021)
More
- Added section with GIFs to showcase the adjustable flex
- R2 prototypes scheduled to arrive early Sep (one of each finish)

Update 4 (1st July 2021)
More
- Sound test uploaded
- Summarizing changes for R2 prototypes.

Update 3 (24th June 2021)
More
- Prototype has arrived and is succesfully assembled.
- Pictures of the prototype.
- Color samples of the Earth Brown finish.

Update 2 (19th May 2021)
More
- Prototype ordered! Delivery around end of June.
- Merged the ANSI/ISO PCB plates into one universal plate.
- Will offer HHKB top as an option, see new renders below.
- Added support for split spacebar.

Update 1 (10th May 2021)
More
- New renders with keycaps.
- Removed 1st. Edition badge.
- Remake of the top mount construction.
- Will now offer PCB Plate in polycarbonate.
- Settling with new manufacturer -> lower pricing, lower MOQ!

Revamped Top Mount Concept

The idea with this mounting system is that the cylindrical rubber gaskets will not only allow the board's flex to be adjustable, it will also flex in a unique way where it won't apply as much stress on the PCB as regular flexing achieved from bending. (more details and showcase further below).

The rectangular gasket in the top frame will gently follow the vertical motion and absorb unwanted vibrations from the plate while giving it a soft and comfortable surface to sit against.

Supported Layouts
PCB plate will be available in aluminum, brass and polycarbonate.

Technical information

Keyboard Size:           60%
Case angle:                6
Weight:                     ~2kg unbuilt (4.4lbs)
Front Height:             ~21mm (0.8")
Case Material:            Aluminum
PCB Plate:                  Both ANSI and ISO support
PCB Plate Material:     Aluminum, Brass and Polycarbonate

Pricing, Quantity and Vendors

Final price is TBA but will be below 300 (350$ USD).

MOQ will be 100 units for this price point, limited to max 200 units for this run.

Vendors
EU - TBA
US - TBD

What's included?

- 1x Keyboard top and bottom
- 1x Top frame gasket
- 8x Rubber standoffs + washers
- 1x Aluminum PCB Plate (Brass / PC as options)
- 1x Case foam
- Screws and tool to fasten screws.
- 4x Adhesive anti-slip feet.
- 1x PCB Plate foam (Optional)

Timeline

Current approximate GB date is planned to go live around Nov (depends on prototype results).
Final customer dispatch is expected 4-5 months after GB has ended.

1st Prototype

Link to album here.

Renders
(Renderings only show 7u layouts, see all supported layouts here).

Please also keep in mind that renders are only for visualization and does not show the final product.

Stone Grey
Featured with a grey on black keycap set.

Ocean Blue
Featured with GMK Seafarer by iinko_mk

Earth Brown
Featured with GMK Civilizations by twgecko02

Prototype Tests
Tests below are from the first prototype.

Round 2 prototypes will have proper sound tests done by professionals who are better at recording and lubing than me.

Switches: Lavender linnears from Durock (lubed with Krytox 205g0)
Stabilizers: Durock v2 screw-in (lubed with Krytox 205g0)
Keycaps: ePBT BoW r2 with icon mods

Quick sound test: Polycarbonate plate
With case foam and PCB foam

Typing test: Brass plate (camera sound)
With case foam and PCB foam

Flex configuration

Haven60's flexibility can be configured to your desire by simply adjusting the tightening of the plate screws, below are a few examples to show the span of possible flex.
Going for high flex will probably require you to skip case foam. Album here

What's unique is that this flex is not achieved by relief cuts and bending the the plate from fixed points.
Here the entire plate is allowed to move vertically thanks to the synergy between cylindrical rubber gaskets on the screws and the top frame gasket.
Which means there is less stress applied to the PCB as it isn't being bent as much.

Maximum flex ~3mm screw distance (m3 screw as reference) | Polycarbonate plate | PCB foam | No bottom case foam

Low flex ~1.5mm screw distance (half m3 screw as reference) | Polycarbonte Plate | PCB foam | No bottom case foam

No flex Screws fastened just until you start gettting a bit of resistance | Polycarbonate Plate | PCB foam | Bottom case foam

What's going on right now?

- Awaiting r2 prototype in Ocean Blue finish
- Planning for the boards to be built and tested by Youtubers/streamers.
- Summarizing costs and pricing.

What's planned?

- Prototype build video
- Vendor settlement and announcement.

FAQ and other information
More
Does this keyboard include PCB?
No, this case is designed to fit 60% PCB's sized according to the standard poker / gh60. You can have your own choice of PCB as long as its layout are compatible with my PCB plates.
I will test mount several 60% PCBs during the prototype stage and will make a list.

Confirmed fits so far:
DZ60 rev. 3
DZ60 RGB v2 Hot Swap
BM60 RGB Hot swap

Who are you?
I'm based in Sweden and started Garner as I fell in love with this hobby and wanted to bring more unique keyboards to the hobby.

My design philosophy is to stand out from the mass by bringing new interesting designs which does not need to be turned upside down in order to be recognized.

Working in CAD is a big part of my daily job. My job consists of providing customer tailored solutions (CAD-based drawings), product revisions/development, drawings for suppliers, etc.
I have a degree in design and product development and I have always been a creative person who have done lots of personal media projects for fun throughout my life.

How can we contact you / receive news about this project?
I will stick to Geekhack and Discord to keep updates simple.
Join the Discord channel here.

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 September 2021, 14:00:05 by Garner »
<-- Click to see IC thread!

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
Re: Haven60 by Garner | Universal 60% Top/Burger Mounted Keyboard Case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 15:00:59 »
any options for fr4/PC plates? If so consider me interested

Offline Garner

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 15:08:48 »
any options for fr4/PC plates? If so consider me interested

If the demand is high I will consider PC plate. Will help a lot if you let me know in the IC form.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 16:01:10 »
Do enjoy the colors, any chance for a dark green?

Offline antsinyourpants

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 00:27:33 »
Love it! It looks like something from Star Trek. The colours are amazing too. I'm not a huge fan of the 1st Edition plaque though.

Offline Garner

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 14:04:40 »

Not even 24 hours have passed and I have actually received several suggestions for a green finish. Won't promise anything at the moment but might be open to attempt some green renders later on.  :thumb:

Love it! It looks like something from Star Trek. The colours are amazing too. I'm not a huge fan of the 1st Edition plaque though.

Thank you for the feedback, it would help me a lot if you stated your opinons about the plaque in my IC form if you haven't already!

Offline Garner

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 11:20:43 »
Just a small bump to say that I added a new section to easier follow up on what's happening in the project.
Will post updates here and the progress channel on Discord as things move forward.

What's ongoing right now?

-
-
-

What's planned?

-
-
-
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 14:05:42 by Garner »

Offline Garner

Bump!

Two weeks have passed since the initial IC and lots of changes has been implemented already. I'm looking forward to collecting new feedback and opinions from you guys.

Some of the changes:
- IC has been updated with better looking renders with keycaps.
- The mounting style has been revamped.
- PCB Plate will also be offered in polycarbonate.
- IC Form has been updated.

I also gave the IC thread a facelift with animated renderings and better structure

Offline nathanchere

I know it won't happen but I left my vote in IC for a HHKB top and split spacebar support. Love the design otherwise.

Offline Garner

With feedback comes results and with results comes changes and implementations!

There has been a significant demand for HHKB top and it had me think twice.
As I merged the four previous PCB plates into one, the logistical work decreased by a lot - I therefore decided to also offer a HHKB top frame.

Some other news and changes:
- Cutouts for split spacebar has been added, one 6.25u and one 7u option.
- Prototype has been ordered.
- Added HHKB render for each finish.

IC Form will stay open until the prototype arrives.

Offline Tomn

This looks sick, can't wait for the proto
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:17:34 by Tomn »

Offline Arithmetics

+1 for 3/1/3 spacebar. will you have a pcb that supports this or are you just saying the plate supports?

Offline Garner

+1 for 3/1/3 spacebar. will you have a pcb that supports this or are you just saying the plate supports?

My plate will support the layout. I know 3/1/3 is quite rare but hopefully it will be supported in more future PCBs and revisions.

It's also ok for anyone to produce a pcb specifically for this project as well since the point of the case is to fit as many pcbs as possible.

Offline Garner

Re: [IC] Haven60 - Universal 60% Case (WK, HHKB) | PROTOTYPE PICTURES!
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 14:54:53 »
Prototype has arrived! (Link to album)

My thoughts:
Anodizing: Looks great - none of the visible sides has any marks or scratches. Just a small miscolored spot on one of the sides at the bottom.
Fitment: All parts fit together as planned.

Sound tests are currently being recorded and will be uploaded next week.
I also plan to make a quick video demonstrating the building process.

Round two prototypes will be colored and I plan to send them out to be tested by youtube/twitch profiles.

A few Pictures:
More and bigger pictures are in the main post or imgur album!
All images are raw and unedited.

Offline nathanchere

There has been a significant demand for HHKB top and it had me think twice.
As I merged the four previous PCB plates into one, the logistical work decreased by a lot - I therefore decided to also offer a HHKB top frame.

Some other news and changes:
- Cutouts for split spacebar has been added, one 6.25u and one 7u option

Damn... HHKB top AND split space bar?  :eek:
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:56:01 by nathanchere »

Offline Garner

Sound tests are now uploaded and published!

My personal perception is that the sound is more crisp IRL compared to how they are perceived in the videos. I'm very pleased with the sound IRL despite me being poor at lubing, except for that damn enter key..   :D

Polycarbonate plate typing test

« Last Edit: Sun, 22 August 2021, 15:27:14 by Garner »

Offline Garner

New Update!

I have now added a new section to the thread where I show the adjustable flex of the keyboard.

R2 prototypes will arrive in early September and will then be sent out to be reviewed by streamers/youtubers from the community.
Here is a fresh picture from production of a HHKB in Earth Brown finish.

Offline nathanchere

Are those lines around the blockers on the HHKB top a prototype thing or going to be there in the final run?

Offline Garner

Are those lines around the blockers on the HHKB top a prototype thing or going to be there in the final run?

Actually not sure yet. I have a "regular" HHKB top right now but I tried this idea for the R2 prototypes.
I really like how these lines goes along with the design language and helps to frame the keycaps in a nice way (see the HHKB renders for different angles), but not sure how I feel when they arrive.

I will post pictures of both styles when the new one arrives and put up a poll to see what people prefer.

Offline Garner

I got my hands on a good microphone and recorded a new quick sound test. Using a proper microphone really captured the crisp sound profile I was trying to describe earlier.
Switches are lubed Lavender linnears from Durock with lubed Durock v2 stabs. Keycaps are ePBT BoW R2 with icon mods.

Offline sabomov

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 04:51:28 »

looks very nice! glwic!

Offline Garner

Two more pictures of the R2 prototypes from production. Scheduled to arrive by the end of next week, can't wait!

Offline nathanchere

That gold finish looks damn fine. Seeing those two cases so close side by side makes me wonder, have you considered designing a matching wrist wrest to fit with that front curve and keep with the layered chamfer aesethetic?

Offline Garner

That gold finish looks damn fine. Seeing those two cases so close side by side makes me wonder, have you considered designing a matching wrist wrest to fit with that front curve and keep with the layered chamfer aesethetic?

I actually have a draft of a wristrest I designed to match the design and colors of this board but I never really got any further. Mainly because I'm not sure if an aluminum rest would be comfortable but also because they would be quite costly and I'm not sure if enough people would be willing to buy them to bring the cost down.

Btw, I have now added new photos of the R2 prototypes, check out how the gold/brown finish turned out, I think you'll love it if you like the renders.

Offline chat and team

like for the flex or bounce or whatever you want to call it test can you not be smashing every key. very inaccurate of a test. If I had a sledge hammer to the tofu it would be the most "flexy" keyboard in the hobby.