Author Topic: Does someone know what "Logitech MX Keys" is?  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Choker

Does someone know what "Logitech MX Keys" is?
« on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 15:18:50 »
What I'm referring to is this, which was made to look like a big deal.

My knowledge:
Over the last 8 years I've always been fond of a membrane key switch called the "Logitech Perfect Stroke". If you search this term on Amazon, you'd probably find 4 well-sold models:

#1. Logitech K740, ~$60
#2. Logitech K750, ~$50 (less prominent position in search result)
#3. Logitech K800, ~$60
#4. Logitech MX Keys, ~$100, which is the one I'm asking.

They all had "Perfect Stroke keys" or "PerfectStroke keys" in the description. However they don't feel the same. I've bought #1 twice, in 2013 and 2020, which were consistent, they feel fairly good. I bought #3 in 2020, and liked it very very much, better than any type of mechanical keyboards for me (I've owned 5 types of Cherry MX and 2 types of Topre and 1 Alps), it's my everyday keyboard now. I don't own but have tried #2 in a BestBuy in 2013, and I believe it felt the same as #3, which means it was better than #1 which was available at the same time. (#2 is not popular on Amazon, some hints suggest it's discontinued, I'm not sure if I buy it now it'd feel the same as my memory in BestBuy)

Therefore, from my experience, I don't think "Perfect Stroke" is the name of a switch, rather it's probably the name of a series of technology.

So my question is about #4:
1. Does someone know what "MX keys" means?
2. Does someone know if it's supposed to be the same switch as #3 (or even better) ?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Does someone know what "Logitech MX Keys" is?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 15:38:52 »
I would assume
MX-their usual branding, eg, mx master, mx anywhere mice
Keys-just a hip way of saying switch

2. I would assume its different, better or not is an opinion, it bears a mac style and I liked it when I used it a couple times, never tried #3 so can't really tell either way

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 16:01:45 »
Therefore, from my experience, I don't think "Perfect Stroke" is the name of a switch, rather it's probably the name of a series of technology.

1. Does someone know what "MX keys" means?
2. Does someone know if it's supposed to be the same switch as #3 (or even better) ?
"PerfectStroke" is nothing more than a brand name these days.
I have tried this keyboard in a store. It is definitely not the same switch as in the K740 or K800 or in the now classic DiNovo models.
The one in this keyboard (and its more expensive sister "Logitech Craft") is just a standard scissor-switch, with standard key travel.

And "MX Keys" is just the model name of the keyboard. I would speculate that they refer to it belonging to the same class as their "MX" line of mice.
No relation to Cherry MX switches whatsoever, except for the choice of name being maybe a little trolling on Logitech's part. :-þ
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 June 2021, 16:04:44 by Findecanor »

Offline Choker

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 16:41:41 »
Hi Findecanor, I have 2 questions regarding your comment, thanks!

1. from pictures I found, the DiNovo you mentioned has exactly the same keycaps as K740, even the same unique Delete key, so I assume it shares most of the assembly line as K740, including the switch. But K800 is definitely a different switch. Are you aware that K800 is different? (I strongly recommend)

2. When you say "just a standard scissor-switch", are you referring to regular laptop keyboards? Did the "MX" one feel like a laptop when you tried in the store? Many people don't know that the PefectStroke is actually a scissor-switch too, as seen here.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 13:59:22 »
The older PerfectStroke keyboards were scissor switches with a longer stroke than a typical laptop scissor switch.  The K740 and the old Dinovo keyboards both used that mechanism, and were among my favorites.  One of my Dinovo's failed under warranty and Logitech replaced it with a K800, which does not have the same long-stroke scissor switches as the Dinovo or the K740.  I bought an MX Keys Mac version a few months ago, and promptly returned it.  The scissor switches in that keyboard have an even shorter stroke than normal.  They never should have used the PerfectStroke name on that keyboard.  It reminded me of Apple's current Magic Keyboards, which I don't particularly like, either.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 15:38:40 »
Hmm. The K800 was also marketed as having PerfectStroke, but it is a bit old now. This means that the dilution of the "PerfectStroke" brand happened earlier than I thought... :(

The MX Keys has 1.8 mm of key travel (source: PC World), which is comparable to the Apple aluminium keyboard's 2 mm (?). It felt much like that one, or maybe slightly nicer because of the dished keys.
Not as bad as the desktop Magic Keyboard.

Did the "MX" one feel like a laptop when you tried in the store?
Yes, but not as bad the keyboards of some laptops.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 June 2021, 15:46:15 by Findecanor »

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 18:27:36 »
That's interesting that the Apple aluminum keyboard actually has more travel than the MX Keys, but it makes sense.  I have one of those in my garage, and it's not horrible.  It's certainly a lot better than the Magic Keyboard I briefly had.  I had bought several broken DiNovo for Notebooks keyboards, hoping that I could make one working keyboard out of them, but something goes horribly wrong with the matrix, and no one seems to know how to fix it.

After this talk of Perfect Stroke keyboards, I went out and bought a K740.  I hadn't used one in several years.  It really is nice to type on, but I had forgotten how stiff any scissor switch is compared to a mechanical keyboard.  The keys are probably a little stiffer than the Cherry G80 with black switches I've been using as my daily driver.  I'll still keep the K740 around.  My wife can use it as her work from home keyboard when she needs another one.  She likes the way laptop keyboards feel, and thinks that anything mechanical looks old and clunky.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 July 2021, 11:02:55 by Riverman »

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 06:54:38 »
Could they be referring to the new Cherry butterfly mechanism?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 07:14:54 »
Could they be referring to the new Cherry butterfly mechanism?
No. Logitech has a series of mice named "MX" for many years now. The "MX Master" series is the most known. Other well known models are the "MX Anywhere" (travel mouse), "MX510", "MX518", "MX Ergo" (trackball) and "MX Vertical" (ergonomic mouse).

The "MX Keys" keyboard was in stores for months before the "Cherry MX Ultra Low Profile" switch was even announced.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 22:23:43 »
It's a scissor switch.
If it was mechanical they would say so, if it was a common rubber dome it would be cheaper or more elaborate to explain the cost. The caps and lighting also scream scissor.

This is just the latest iteration of the Logitech Illuminated series.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline gavingoh

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 20:39:53 »
I got the logitech MX keys keyboard...it has a nice little bouncy typing experience but I think the switches themselves still feel a tad mushy and not that sharp/decisive of a tactile bump like some of the HPs' laptop keyboards (which I find really satisfying to type on)

Offline saikyotic

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 09:46:42 »
I have the original Illuminated Keyboard (Y-UY95) that was the predecessor to the K740 and came out well over 10 years ago. Still works great after +10 years and still use it alongside my mechanical keyboards. I thought I'd replace it entirely, but after using my mech keyboards, it put into perspective that the Logitech was not part of blanket of the garbage scissor-switch and membranes that everyone hates. The activation pressure felt just right with a bit of snap, bottom-out wasn't harsh and the key travel was perfect to me (apparently it was 3.2 mm and designed to be slightly longer than the typical laptop keyboard). Easily the best scissor-switch keyboard I've used and still in my regular rotation. I haven't used their current offerings like the MX Keys yet though. Just wanted to say that the ideas behind "PerfectStroke" described in that Logitech blog entry had some merit and wasn't purely marketing fluff.

There are reports that, despite being identical visually, the K740 is far inferior to the original Illuminated Keyboard. The K740 is nearly half the price of the original, and some people who have used both said the switches felt cheaper and broke more easily. That is possibly where they cut back on production costs.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 20:55:21 »
Every new iteration of scissor switches get worse, doesn't matter if it's Lenovo or Logitech.
Even the latest Apple, which went back to scissor after butterfly is worse than the older Apple scissor. Still better than the butterfly though.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion