geekhack Community > Off Topic

Keyboards for geeks?

<< < (5/5)

lowpoly:

--- Quote ---But I'm pretty sure it was designed by Commodore.
--- End quote ---

Maybe, I don't know. I'm sure that Commodore designed the case, the controller, the operating system, the power supply, but the actual 5 1/4" drive? A couple of years later this would have been a 3rd party device but I have no idea how the hardware industry worked in the early eighties.

bhtooefr:
Keep in mind, Apple did all of the design on the Disk ][.

They designed the Disk ][, then took it to drive manufacturers, asking if they could build that - the Disk ][ did some things that drive manufacturers would've said was impossible back then (soft sectoring, anyone?,) had they not seen it working, and certainly wasn't off the shelf.

I'll admit that I don't know that the 1541 was 100% a Commodore design, but the drive logic definitely was, and the logic did things that sent the drive out of whack, no? (Of course, the various music-playing apps for the 1541 didn't exactly help that drive. ;))

IIRC, Shugart built the first Disk ][s, then Apple switched to Alps.

lowpoly:

--- Quote ---Keep in mind, Apple did all of the design on the Disk ][.
--- End quote ---

I see now what you mean.

--- Quote ---Of course, the various music-playing apps for the 1541 didn't exactly help that drive.
--- End quote ---

Ha, that was great. One was called 'Drive Music'. I remember that I deleted it after trying it once to keep me from using it again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version