Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2448570 times)

Offline HerbalNekoTea

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6250 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:30:24 »
I recently replaced all the switch on my keyboard by Matias Clicky, i really like the feeling and want to make a custom one from scratch with 68keys.io.
I am currently at the step of the aluminum case, i did select the alps stabiliser options and alps only plate setting for durability (since i am an heavy typing who heavily bottom out, hence why i am liking Matias Clicky). The guide's saying to use 1.5mm for covers and 3.0mm for bottom, but that for Cherry MX compatible settings. Was would be the dimension for Alps/Matias instead ? Thank you.

Edit : I might probably be confusing the size for the plate. So, it should be the same, right ? Thank you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:36:33 by HerbalNekoTea »

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #6251 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:55:24 »
Yes, the standard thickness for an alps plate is also 1.5mm.

Offline HerbalNekoTea

« Reply #6252 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 21:26:45 »

Thank you very much, that mean i can literally move onto my project next month.

Offline HerbalNekoTea

« Reply #6253 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 00:06:07 »
Dunno if i should had edited my post but 3h have passed since my reply...

I am currently looking for information about Salmon vs. Orange Alps. I had read they are quite similar but the Salmon's more stiffer. I have almost no experience atm. I like my matias clicky i have soldered over my AEK2, i did not like the cream damped switch (also know has ivory), hence why i posted them on ebay. After comparing it a bit with my Outemu Blue switch Havit RGB keyboard. I like the fact the only activation point's bottoming out and there's nothing outside the actuation force who directly bottom out without in-between the matias clicky switch. I hated the fact my outemu blue had the activation a lot higher than the bottoming and it was not directly doing it. I hated the ivory/alps cream damped due to it being too mushy.

Now, about the Salmon vs. Orange. I am a very heavy typing, i type with 2 finger quite fast, making it useless for me to not bottom out due to smashing intensely the key. I had read that orange one feel better but also feel lighter and the salmon one feel more heavier.

Would you recommend Salmon or Orange for me ? Salmon one seem to be a lot cheaper than orange one but i don't mind spending at this range of money, the deal breaker's mostly shipping to canada for certain seller. I also have 3 IBM model M waiting for the bolt and nuts mod due to them having a lot of plastic rivet broken, but from what i halfway tested, they feel good but too light in my opinion (at less for the partially working one).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6254 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 08:33:05 »

I also have 3 IBM model M waiting for the bolt and nuts mod due to them having a lot of plastic rivet broken, but from what i halfway tested, they feel good but too light in my opinion

From what you described, I would have thought that a bolt-modded Model M would be the ideal keyboard for your purposes.

There is actually very little difference between orange and salmon Alps, in my opinion.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #6255 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 13:33:53 »

The stabilizers won't clip in properly with 1.5, I use 1.2 (as FR-4 plates).

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #6256 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 13:51:45 »
Doh! You're right, 1.2 is the standard, not 1.5! Dunno how I mixed that up, I've been working on having one made very recently. 1.5 is possible though!
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 July 2019, 13:53:43 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6257 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 15:01:39 »

The stabilizers won't clip in properly with 1.5, I use 1.2 (as FR-4 plates).

Yep, I was thinking 1.2mm

Laserboost started carrying brass in that thickness :)

Offline GLaDOS

« Reply #6258 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 19:17:39 »
Just got my AEK II up and running. Compared to my old battle-worn AT102W, and my Model M, the sound and feel is much more subdued. I like it. I keep missing the space bar though, and the swapped alt and command keys keep getting me.

Offline cdaman

« Reply #6259 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 11:12:44 »
I want to share my recently new obtain, Time TKL Mech + Orange Alps.. what do you guys think?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #6260 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:20:53 »
The other day I got a vintage board with Blue ALPS -- I figured I'd try to harvest and make a clicky Alps custom board some day...

But I found out I could convert it instead, and it just sounded so good in the original chassis, with its metallic plate and large, hollow plastic case.

So I converted my SKCM Blue Alps Leading Edge DC-2014 to USB  :D

Here are some photos:

And here's a typing test

Offline nevin

« Reply #6261 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:26:38 »
@cdaman - wow, that's a high-end board. (...let's see the back).
@LightningXI - very nice.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6262 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 17:11:41 »
The other day I got a vintage board with Blue ALPS -- I figured I'd try to harvest and make a clicky Alps custom board some day...

But I found out I could convert it instead, and it just sounded so good in the original chassis, with its metallic plate and large, hollow plastic case.

Here are some photos:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And here's a typing test

Noice! :D Good choice, you were on the verge of throwing away arguably the best-sounding blue Alps chassis xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #6263 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 17:18:09 »

Here are some photos:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And here's a typing test

Noice! :D Good choice, you were on the verge of throwing away arguably the best-sounding blue Alps chassis xD .

Funny thing -- I don't throw away most if not all chassis, especially if they can be re-assembled (I am very careful with the harvesting process). But indeed, likely one of the best sounds for SKCM Blue Alps that I have heard.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6264 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 19:03:54 »
I still have the body of an M0116 that I have no idea what to do with.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #6265 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 20:24:38 »

Give it to me, of course.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6266 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 16:34:58 »
Just today, my first Alps board arrived - it has white alps. Love the sound, love the feel, and I really really love the spacebar... THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK!!
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6267 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 16:48:04 »

Give it to me, of course.

Wait, I'm dumb. I meant M0118.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6268 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 06:05:50 »
@romevi - do you have any M0118s left? (plate & caps at least, if not complete) Or know a source? I've been looking for one for a while.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #6269 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 17:50:14 »
My first build ever :

https://imgur.com/gallery/hBCB9IV

Specs :
- Apple extended keyboard II from 95
- French Azerty ISO version
- Original plate cutted and painted
- 3D printed sub frame (The bronze support, see image below)
- Originals Alps cream linearized with dampers
- Originals keycaps dye subbed with Lilas I-poly.
- Run with QMK on a Teensy 2++
- Completly handwired (because there is no PCB for AEK ISO)
Run QMK Firmware

If you know how I can find others alps used keyboards with some cool keycaps like cyrilic, japanese, korean it would be very appreciated.

Tell me what did you think about this one.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6270 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 20:01:25 »
very, very nice. the dyed keys look very good too.

alternate/interesting legends.... bout the only thing that comes to mind is some of the macway keyboards example. there was also the ibm "pingmaster" but those were the older SKCC switches

a quick search turned up a couple others
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=13254
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45456.msg2289453#msg2289453
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45456.msg2289498#msg2289498

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #6271 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 07:38:37 »
Thank you very much. Yes the dye was super easy with I-Poly. I got this result in only one bath. Only the Esc key is a little bit dark because of another bath.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6272 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 18:49:42 »

You used the Creams that you find in NeXt keyboards, or the ones you find in AEK II? I'm confused as to what you mean by Original Creams with Dampers
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline nevin

« Reply #6273 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 07:03:54 »
@treeleaf64 - Believe 4sStylZ was referring to the ones from and AEKII or SGI Granite (SKCM Cream "dampened"). There was another version of the dampened creams that were in the later productions of the AEKII (mid 90's instead of early 90's) that were white stems but still dampened. You can linearize any SKCM (tactile/clicky) switch by modifying or taking out the tactile/click leaf.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6274 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 07:35:52 »
My first build ever :

Show Image

https://imgur.com/gallery/hBCB9IV

Specs :
- Apple extended keyboard II from 95
- French Azerty ISO version
- Original plate cutted and painted
- 3D printed sub frame (The bronze support, see image below)
- Originals keycaps dye subbed with Lilas I-poly.
- Run with QMK on a Teensy 2++
- Completly handwired (because there is no PCB for AEK ISO)
Run QMK Firmware

If you know how I can find others alps used keyboards with some cool keycaps like cyrilic, japanese, korean it would be very appreciated.

Tell me what did you think about this one.

That does look great with the dyed mods! I'm gonna have pick up some ipoly & do some experimenting myself. I got a bunch of extra keys from an AEKII & M0116 that I could give it a try on.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2019, 10:07:50 by Rob27shred »

Offline nevin

« Reply #6275 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 09:02:47 »
@Rob27shred - don't be afraid to mix strong & limit time. check frequently.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #6276 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 09:25:23 »
@Rob27shred - don't be afraid to mix strong & limit time. check frequently.
Thanks for the tips!

« Reply #6277 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 10:04:38 »
For a switch transplant into an AT101, does it make a big difference which AT101 to chose in terms of feel and sound? Most of the newer ones with newer logo are cheaper and with keycaps in better condition.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #6278 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 10:27:13 »
For a switch transplant into an AT101, does it make a big difference which AT101 to chose in terms of feel and sound? Most of the newer ones with newer logo are cheaper and with keycaps in better condition.

That is a good question, I would assume the cases themselves remained mostly the same through the life of the AT101. I can't see Dell bothering having new molds made for the cases just to save a tiny bit of plastic, also the plates are 1.2mm standardized for ALPS switches AFAIK, but they could use cheaper steel for the later models. I own a newer AT101W & a SGI AT101. The SGI one is a good bit heftier, but I think it is a poor board to compare to regular AT101s since SGI systems were so expensive I'd think they'd make the keyboards higher quality than regular 101s. That is the only comparison points I have though, so the main differences between the two are the SGI has much higher quality keycaps & I think it uses higher quality heavier steel for the plate. The plastic for the case may be different as well, but I don't know about that for sure.

Really I think Dell cut costs by moving to much cheaper keycaps, probably cheaper steel for the plates, & probably cheaper PCBs/components on the PCB. Hopefully someone who has an older & newer AT101 can chime in to better clarify the differences. Although for a switch swap, if it were me, I would go for an older one if you need the keycaps & PCB, if you have keycaps & a replacement PCB already I'd go for a newer one to save the money since it'll be just the case & plate you need.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2019, 10:29:05 by Rob27shred »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6279 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 16:10:49 »
The Dell is a great chassis for transplantation if you can live with the larger footprint. The earliest models had a steel plate purely for weight attached in the bottom case shell, probably about 500g

I recommend a "W" model so that you can get Windows keys, and black cases are nice, although the caps are pad printed. You can get replacement caps, but you have to dig deeper to get space bar and CapsLock.

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #6280 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 17:13:23 »
The Dell is a great chassis for transplantation if you can live with the larger footprint. The earliest models had a steel plate purely for weight attached in the bottom case shell, probably about 500g

I recommend a "W" model so that you can get Windows keys, and black cases are nice, although the caps are pad printed. You can get replacement caps, but you have to dig deeper to get space bar and CapsLock.

Hey we're AT101W brothers, LOL!
225733-0
I managed to get the regular Caps Lock key to work by clipping the stem in half & wedging it into the switch with a piece of plastic toothpick. It worked surprisingly well, it doesn't even come off when I blow it down with my metro vac! The spacebar I got to work with the 3D printed adapters sold during the Nexus slider/housing GB, but I'm pretty sure you can find open source files for ones if you have access to a 3D printer or there are also some people who sell them on Shapeways.

« Reply #6281 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 20:59:30 »
Thank you guys! I'll be sourcing from M0116, so I need to use the caps on the Dell, I will be keeping my eyes on good condition ones :)

Posting from my phone so I can't check the Deskthority wiki- I take it every AT101 is Alps based?

« Reply #6282 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 21:02:42 »

I will just add I had two SKCM blue customs, one TKL swapped into a Filco Zero and another that was in a KBDFans 60% and the sound of blue Alps is no where near what you get in a large vintage case, it starts to sound closer to Box Royals in these small cases.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #6283 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 21:08:34 »

I will just add I had two SKCM blue customs, one TKL swapped into a Filco Zero and another that was in a KBDFans 60% and the sound of blue Alps is no where near what you get in a large vintage case, it starts to sound closer to Box Royals in these small cases.
Yeah, there definitely is something beautiful about the sound of the switches in the big old chassis. Like the switch was meant to be in it

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6284 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 02:14:35 »

Yeah, there definitely is something beautiful about the sound of the switches in the big old chassis. Like the switch was meant to be in it

<3 :D
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #6285 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 10:34:15 »

<3 :D

I hate to say it, but I regret harvesting my blues... They belonged in that case; such a waste of a vintage board. Younger me made dumb life choices  :-X
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6286 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 20:20:20 »
the deskthority wiki is missing weights for those two.

you can always swap in lighter spring.

light tactile... me too.... keep us posted on your findings.

From watching videos by Chyrosan, and reading Deskthority it seems as if Orange Alps are 55-60 gr in actuation, while Salmon Alps are 65-70. That makes sense, since Orange Alps at 55-60 are close to some of my favourite MX switches, although a little heavier than I am used to.

Brown Alps bottom out at 70. Actuation and bottom-out weights are similar on Alps switches. Orange, Salmon, and Brown tend to actuate near the bottom-out weights of MX light tactiles like Browns, 62 gr Zealios, and blues (which are also tactile). In fact, Orange is close to or the same as MX Blues, and I have good experiences with similar switches.

Offline ollir_

« Reply #6287 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 01:46:21 »

(Attachment Link)
I managed to get the regular Caps Lock key to work by clipping the stem in half & wedging it into the switch with a piece of plastic toothpick. It worked surprisingly well, it doesn't even come off when I blow it down with my metro vac! The spacebar I got to work with the 3D printed adapters sold during the Nexus slider/housing GB, but I'm pretty sure you can find open source files for ones if you have access to a 3D printer or there are also some people who sell them on Shapeways.

Sup.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #6288 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 07:14:02 »

(Attachment Link)

Sup.

Show Image

Nice, another lost brother found! Black Dell bigfoot/Tai-Hao ALPS Dolch crew rise! :p

Offline gofoyo

« Reply #6289 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 06:09:22 »
Anyone know a reasonable source for NOS SKCL Yellow with green LED called 'SKCLFM000A' on taobao? Two sellers canceled my orders saying 'out of stock'.

« Reply #6290 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 17:50:39 »
Cross posting from the Hasu GB thread if that is alright- does anyone know if the grey cylinder piece missing on the underside of an Apple spacebar would cause the issues I'm experiencing here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69740.msg2811155#msg2811155

My spacebar is missing that grey cylinder piece, but it is on the left side and my issues are primarily on the right side of the spacebar.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6291 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 18:10:17 »
doesn't really matter which side, it's binding because it's not being kept straight/level. if you can't find or get the grey piece, try a piece of a chopstick or something close to the same diameter (slightly smaller than the inside of the black receiver sticking up though the plate). that piece keeps the bar level as it moves up & down. not all spacebar switches are in the center either, some are offset quite a lot. plus switches can act differently (bind more or less when pressed from one side or the other). make sure there is nothing inside the switch that shouldn't be there either. if this has been missing for a while and had been used heavily without it there could possibly be damage inside the switch form constantly being pressed off center.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6292 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 11:15:02 »
Came across a pile of AEKIIs with Creams yesterday (that'll make 5 in my collection now :-[ ). Going to keep one bone stock, but want to dress one up. Has anyone tried powder coating? Thinking a pastel green with dye subbed mods could be nice.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline nevin

« Reply #6293 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 11:42:38 »
@_rubik - AEKII case is plastic, it would melt. Powder coating is a treatment done to metal to give it a thicker/tougher finish than paint.

Some good spraypaint will work (that adhere's to plastic). Just, at least, quadruple the curing time, and don't touch it till then. Give the case a good once over with a scotchbrite pad or something to rough up the surface so the paint has something good to bite into. scotchbrite will take the shine off the abs without leaving marks like sandpaper.

Any of the creams for sale/trade? I picked up an AEKII which has the later white dampened.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6294 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 13:16:49 »
@_rubik - AEKII case is plastic, it would melt. Powder coating is a treatment done to metal to give it a thicker/tougher finish than paint.

Some good spraypaint will work (that adhere's to plastic). Just, at least, quadruple the curing time, and don't touch it till then. Give the case a good once over with a scotchbrite pad or something to rough up the surface so the paint has something good to bite into. scotchbrite will take the shine off the abs without leaving marks like sandpaper.

Any of the creams for sale/trade? I picked up an AEKII which has the later white dampened.

Err... not powder coat. I was thinking of the process performed on the TKC1800s which I guess is just Urethane based paints. Wonder where I can get that done locally? hmmm...

As for selling -- I'm not selling any at the moment, but, when I do, you're the first person I'll ping.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6295 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 13:40:37 »
yes, it does say automotive... hit up some local/small body shops & see what they'd quote to do it. ...most bumpers and other parts are plastic on cars nowadays. That would definitely hold up better than just normal spray paint.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #6296 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 18:03:30 »
After being a long time capacitive buckling springs fan who thought there was no need for everything else (other than for layout and convenience), I finally got myself to try Alps.

I can't believe I had gone 5+ years in keyboards without ever trying them out!

I'm now currently working on converting my LK1800-fe into supporting Alps. I've already acquired and lubed up some orange Alps switches, and got most of a keycap set. All I need to do is finish up the plate, make sure it works, and then get it made.

I had no idea that tactile Alps switches were that much better than any MX option. Someone should have convinced me sooner.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #6297 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 18:04:43 »
After being a long time capacitive buckling springs fan who thought there was no need for everything else (other than for layout and convenience), I finally got myself to try Alps.

I can't believe I had gone 5+ years in keyboards without ever trying them out!

I'm now currently working on converting my LK1800-fe into supporting Alps. I've already acquired and lubed up some orange Alps switches, and got most of a keycap set. All I need to do is finish up the plate, make sure it works, and then get it made.

I had no idea that tactile Alps switches were that much better than any MX option. Someone should have convinced me sooner.

Topre and Alps are so much better tactiles than MX.

Buckling Spring imo is still its own beast in clicky typing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6298 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 19:32:46 »

Someone should have convinced me sooner.

Some people read what Chyros says.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #6299 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 20:32:54 »

Someone should have convinced me sooner.

Some people read what Chyros says.

For real though, his videos & posts on here/DT is one of the biggest reasons I started looking onto ALPS switches.