Author Topic: MX Floss Silencer  (Read 2122 times)

Offline hoosieree

MX Floss Silencer
« on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 10:10:46 »
I am on a quest for quieter tactile switches, and had some Cherry MX clears on hand.  I've previously used o-rings or foam tape on the underside of the keycap, which helps somewhat, but doesn't do much to quiet the *release* of the key.  So I did something slightly different:

129633-0129635-1

At first I drilled some #60 holes in the upper shell, and threaded some dental floss through (GUM Butlerweave mint waxed free sample from a dentist visit, fyi), and it made a small improvement to the sound.  But then I discovered that I get even more sound dampening by wrapping the floss completely around the shell, which is nice because no drilling is required, and it's completely reversible if you decide to go back to normal.

Here are some macro shots of the final version with more lighting:

129637-2129639-3

This mod is tedious to do, but the nice thing is that it quiets both the downstroke and upstroke, and because of the "padding" you end up with on top, provides some o-ring-like cushioning on the downstroke.  Also nice is that you can vary the number of turns for more or less sound dampening.  I used 4 wraps on this last one and am happy with it.

To my ears, the sound is reduced by about half.  There is less treble to it ("thock" instead of "snick").  Note that this is the only variety of mechanical keyswitch I have any experience with, so I can't really compare it to other MX colors, nor to things like Matias, Alps, ML, etc.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: MX Floss Silencer
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 10:15:23 »
Huh so that's really interesting. Would love to see a video or rather, hear one.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 10:23:58 »
Neat.

It also looks like it would address the switch wobble as well.

I wonder what is a better mod to do.

This or liquid latex?

Offline hoosieree

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 10:26:23 »
The latex "milk" mod was a big inspiration for this mod, but I couldn't find the thread to link it.

I'll post a video after mounting them, probably in something similar to suka's minimal curved beauty:

edited to add:  I'm a little concerned that the sound dampening will be reduced over time, as the little sliders repeatedly deform the floss.  I'll follow up as they accumulate hours of use.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2016, 10:29:28 by hoosieree »

Offline ika

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 11:00:20 »
AFAIK floss is nylon, and waxed (sometimes), so will likely wear and shred as you use it. Doesn't sound like a long-term solution to me. Seems pretty interesting, but also extremely high tedium and involved.

Offline hoosieree

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 12:52:46 »
AFAIK floss is nylon, and waxed (sometimes), so will likely wear and shred as you use it. Doesn't sound like a long-term solution to me. Seems pretty interesting, but also extremely high tedium and involved.

Point well taken.  Electrical tape to the rescue!

129653-0

I cut a sliver of electrical tape 3/16" by 1.5" and wrapped it around each side so that the interior gets 2 layers.  Maybe just a tad quieter louder than the floss, and less work.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2016, 12:58:44 by hoosieree »

Offline hoosieree

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 14:20:31 »
Video comparing the electrical tape version (left) with stock (right).  Some guys talking in the cubicle next door, about 7' away.

« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2016, 14:32:12 by hoosieree »

Offline hoosieree

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 21:14:35 »
Just found this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70924.msg1716643#msg1716643

Which is very similar in principle to what I ended up with using electrical tape.