Author Topic: 10 key - Pass through possible?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline battletux

10 key - Pass through possible?
« on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 16:33:48 »
Hi All,

Just wondering if my idea was possible and what controller I would need.

Looking to build a custom 10 key to go with my Pure (and later my GH60) but I would want it to sit between my pc and kb (so I only have 1 cable going through the desk to the pc.

Would this be possible? And could I do it on something like a teensy? Ideally I would want to daisy chain them and not have to hide a small usb hub in the 10 Key to get it to work as I'd want it as small as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: 10 key - Pass through possible?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 16:38:18 »
You would need to build hub functionality into the 10-key.  I don't think that's possible with the teensy.

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 16:44:35 »
You can't wire a fullsize keyboard with a teensy? Do you use all of the matrix for the TKL portion? Couldn't you leave a portion for the tenkey, wired to the Teensy the same, though housed individually?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 18:17:58 »
nvm
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 July 2013, 19:09:51 by gnubag »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 18:46:47 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:29:23 by esoomenona »

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 03:00:41 »
There are some really small USB hubs out there. You could probably hack one of those up and put it into the numpad along with a Teensy. Then you can use any combination of the keyboard and numpad at the same time.

The numpad is connected internally to the hub, and the hub is connected to the computer. That way you can plug the keyboard into the numpad (or computer if you don't want the numpad at the moment). The numpad can be used stand-alone as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2013, 03:03:11 by bpiphany »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 03:09:22 »
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Teensy 2.0 would come up short for IO pins. The pure + TK would need 24 pins and IIRC you can't use a few of the pins on the Teensy.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline one_each

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 15:49:34 »
The Teensy++ 2.0 has 46 I/O lines which should be more then enough.
**something random**

Offline TD22057

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:40:40 »
Just an FYI - I bought a couple of USB hub's on ebay - Link.  The plastic comes apart easily and the actual hub is about a 1" square pcb.  Pretty cheap, very small, seems to work fine so far.  So you might be able to embed something like that in a 10 key.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:43:01 »
What do Slushy Blue and Red look like? What I could totally go for a Salute. Skullsicle might be cool as well.

I totally want a ionospheric blue too. In MY or BS :D

He's saying he'd like to do something like this: have the Teensy in the Pure wired up, have a wire running from the Pure to enter the TKP (which would house the Teensy wires to wire up the TKP, as well as the USB cable to run to the PC), then the USB cable leaving the TKP to the PC, thus creating a chain of components wired to the same controller.

It sounds feasible to me, but I'm not sure if it will be too many lines in those two matrices combined, and whether the Teensy can handle the both.

(Attachment Link)

Think you messed up your quote there moose.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:44:47 »
We tend to jump to the customization route here, which is understandable, but I agree that a 2-port hub like this would be a lot simpler for you

Offline battletux

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:30:28 »
Thanks for all the replys, looks like I will need to go down the usb hub route then. Time to find the smallest 2 port hub I can get.

To clarify I want to be able to plug my pure (or GH60) into the ten key via usb and then have a single usb connection going from the pc to the tenkey, just to tidy up the cables on my desk. I don't want to alter the controller on the keyboard.