Author Topic: Hybrid Boards  (Read 836 times)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Hybrid Boards
« on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 18:49:05 »
How is it to type on a hybrid board, and what is the appeal to you? Topre Variable, Ducky hybrids, your own creation etc. I seem to think that tactile and linear would clash much like clicky and linear would, but Ducky and some of the recent custom boards I've seen have gone hybrid.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Hybrid Boards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 19:02:14 »
When I was at MK.com, I got to play with the Ducky hybrid boards. One with reds/blacks/linear greys. And one with blues/greens/whites (I think).

I didn't really like the linear board but that's because I hate reds so maybe that was a bad example.

But blues on the alphas, greens on the mods and functions, and white on the spacebar was a fun contrast. The blues are always lovely to type on. The greens weren't that much heavier but you could tell be touch what you were pressing. It was almost like there was something else besides the nips/scoops to help locate your hands. I enjoyed how it felt a lot but I think I prefer a uniform board.

Online Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 10:47:17 »
Have used Topre Variable a lot. The light keys are too easily pressed by mistake. Other than that, I don't really notice any difference.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 09:52:19 »
I have a ducky TKL hybrid.  Brows on the main area + F-row and blues on the arrows/home/locks.  The contrast of clacking away and then hitting 'PgDwn" is pretty weird.  It really just made me wish I had a whole board with clicky switches.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."