Author Topic: Tex Shinobi Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 2516 times)

Offline OGProgrammer

Tex Shinobi Mechanical Keyboard
« on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 02:57:22 »
Is it just me or this KB looks sick af. Anyone ever use a Tex KB before? Trying to fix my current KB (thanks for helpful replies in my other thread btw) but tempted to buy this one, just not sure if the quality is any good or if it is gimmicky.

https://dream.tex-design.com.tw/products/shinobi

Offline Maledicted

Re: Tex Shinobi Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 09:58:40 »
Is it just me or this KB looks sick af. Anyone ever use a Tex KB before? Trying to fix my current KB (thanks for helpful replies in my other thread btw) but tempted to buy this one, just not sure if the quality is any good or if it is gimmicky.

https://dream.tex-design.com.tw/products/shinobi

Looks like late 90s, early 2000s vintage IBM, or Lenovo. I don't know that I like how unnecessarily tall it is, but I have always liked that color scheme.

Offline OGProgrammer

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 14:42:24 »
Just noticed this is their only KB for sell so maybe its a pass but they do have a DYI version which requires you to solder all keys yourself. I wonder how hard that would be to do to save $100+...

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 15:32:19 »
Just noticed this is their only KB for sell so maybe its a pass but they do have a DYI version which requires you to solder all keys yourself. I wonder how hard that would be to do to save $100+...

I did see that. The build log makes it sound like everything but the switches is included, except for maybe the caps lock led, for whatever reason? That's probably just an oversight though, I imagine it is there.

If that's the case, then this could easily be assembled with whatever switches you like with a $15 iron from a local store, some diligent research into soldering tutorials and the dos and don'ts of proper soldering, and an hour or two to kill.

There's also even an option for an easily-attachable Bluetooth module. That could seal the deal on this for some people. Maybe even me, and I'm not a huge fan of those trackpoint sticks, but this would still basically become the only wireless HTPC option when it comes to mechanicals, and you don't even have to desolder anything to get the switches you like.

Now that I think of it, the manufacturer may have posted on here a little while back.

Offline OGProgrammer

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 01:57:13 »
So you think it be a good buy for a full time programmer like myself? The ergo on this keyboard is questionable , I do like a bit of angle but not many options for that in the MK space

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 08:58:23 »
So you think it be a good buy for a full time programmer like myself? The ergo on this keyboard is questionable , I do like a bit of angle but not many options for that in the MK space

I'm not sure. Might be worth a try? Hard to say for sure what somebody else might prefer. I'm no ergo keyboard guy, but that built-in palmrest ... thing, might bother me. I would have to try it out, and my observations may not translate perfectly to other people.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 21:10:25 »
I bought two.  I am a programmer (well management now) and I personally find the ergonomics of Thinkpads to be amazing especially with the touchpoint minimizing my hand movements.  Ergonomics influenced my purchase pretty heavily.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,