Author Topic: [IC] Whimsy - 40% Keyboard | UPDATED DESIGN AND GB INCOMING!  (Read 198721 times)

Offline Mecxs

Re: [IC] Whimsy - 40% Keyboard | UPDATED DESIGN AND GB INCOMING!
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 00:50:07 »
Abandoned is probably too strong a word, but it's indefinitely delayed and not being actively worked on.

The last big announcements were in Feb / Mar this year. Since then prkns has posted a few photos of some stacked acrylic cases on the discord and made a couple of comments about still being committed, but there are no updates, no clear progress, and no clear communication of a schedule.

It may happen at some time in the future, but even if it does the whole IC process will likely need to be restarted and the design reevaluated. The original price of $235 was quoted at a time when materials were much cheaper than they are today. So even if Prkns wakes up tomorrow and is ready to get to work, it's not like the GB will suddenly just start.

If it runs you'll end up hearing about it but trying to keep the hype going indefinitely is going to exhaust you. Pretend it's been called off, and if you're wrong then you get a happy surprise.

Offline norm

• My kingdom for convex blanks
« Reply #251 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 13:09:16 »
Abandoned is probably too strong a word, but it's indefinitely delayed and not being actively worked on.

The last big announcements were in Feb / Mar this year. Since then prkns has posted a few photos of some stacked acrylic cases on the discord and made a couple of comments about still being committed, but there are no updates, no clear progress, and no clear communication of a schedule.

It may happen at some time in the future, but even if it does the whole IC process will likely need to be restarted and the design reevaluated. The original price of $235 was quoted at a time when materials were much cheaper than they are today. So even if Prkns wakes up tomorrow and is ready to get to work, it's not like the GB will suddenly just start.

If it runs you'll end up hearing about it but trying to keep the hype going indefinitely is going to exhaust you. Pretend it's been called off, and if you're wrong then you get a happy surprise.

Hey, at least people got some sweet render material for their keycap ICs

Offline km96

« Reply #252 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 14:42:46 »
The curse of the 40s strikes again!

Offline Transistor

« Reply #253 on: Sat, 06 November 2021, 13:57:41 »
Wait, so is this off or not?

I was looking forward to buying this but the last update was a bit ago on the discord server.
 :-\

Thanks,
Transistor
Don't judge me -_-

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #254 on: Sat, 06 November 2021, 20:55:13 »
It's off.

Offline hagiwaraDaisuke

« Reply #255 on: Sat, 06 November 2021, 21:56:29 »
It's off.

Wait it's really off? the discord server is so active

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #256 on: Sat, 06 November 2021, 23:39:44 »
The discord is a meme. It's literally been an entire year of pkrns appearing once every few months and promising that the GB is about to start next month.

Offline AdoraAmi97

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 12:21:37 »
I feel like I've not heard anything about this keeb in almost a year, is this still coming out? Do you as of yet have solid plans for a group buy.

Offline Voaraq

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 14:33:37 »
My heart is broken. I have been looking forward to this for so long and passed on the Oceanographer and MB44 in anticipation.

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #259 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 17:36:33 »
MB-44 extras on Friday, Nov 19.

Offline Voaraq

« Reply #260 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 02:39:34 »
MB-44 extras on Friday, Nov 19.

Thank you, Frank Zappa!

Offline Peteex

« Reply #261 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 19:09:53 »
Hello,Can I still buy it now? i m really like this design! :-[ :-[

Offline Peteex

« Reply #262 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 19:11:35 »
Very beautiful
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 November 2021, 19:14:54 by Peteex »

Offline Transistor

« Reply #263 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 19:13:39 »
Hello can i still buy it now? im really like this design xD

No, it is still in production. I am very sure you will know when it's done.
Don't judge me -_-

Offline Peteex

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 19:18:07 »

:-[ OK,thx

Offline Transistor

« Reply #265 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 19:20:00 »

Some people think it's off so don't get your hopes high :(
Don't judge me -_-

Offline Peteex

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 19:24:15 »

Some people think it's off so don't get your hopes high :(
Actually,That's what I think too

Offline ktrezzi

« Reply #267 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 02:50:08 »
On Discord there is already a member trying to recreate the project since the OG guy hasn't been online and silent for two months

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 10:13:44 »
On Discord there is already a member trying to recreate the project since the OG guy hasn't been online and silent for two months

Yes! There is a person who might spearhead the first Whimsy, but it will not happen this year, if anything he is trying to be polite towards Prnks creativity and has tried to get in touch with him. Once we can confirm the project is dead, or on-hold indefnitely, I am most certain he will move on with a formal IC and start doing all the appropriate stuff an upstanding member should do. Keep your eyes peeled next year!

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #269 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 17:28:33 »
I'm not a big 40% person, but I've seen this IC pop up a few times since it started. It's a shame it hasn't gone anywhere; it's a cool design. It's a 40% I may actually consider, admittedly more for collecting and displaying keycaps than using much of the time, but still. I appreciate its blending of visible soldered components and refined design.

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #270 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 06:02:07 »
Guess I should pass the announcement made on Discord here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

jaspertandy#9501:

Hi everyone,

Firstly I want to apologise for the influx of spam in the last few days. For some reason I wasn't getting tagged in these messages so that I actually saw them, and you had to put up with them for longer than you should. I've installed a plugin recommended by ecto that should help stem this, but please tag me directly if you see more of it so that I definitely get notified to delete it.

Secondly, I know a lot of people are wondering what the hell is going on, with varying degrees of speculation, and that's totally fair. Hopefully this message will serve to clear some things up a bit. I don't want to speak for Perkins, so I'm going to keep that to a minimum, but I will say that he's been going through a very tough time personally for the last 6+ months, and keyboards haven't been on his radar. Whilst I understand that this leads to frustration at a lack of knowing what's going on with Fourteen's projects, it is what it is (I know 1930 people are going to be on the verge of a rage right now - please hold your thoughts for a second, I am getting to 1930).

So what's going on with Whimsy? Perkins made the decision right out the gate that he wasn't going to take any money for Whimsy until there were prototypes in-hand. It was always going to be the case that manufacturing was going to be done as close to 100% UK-based as possible. Perkins paid for case prototypes to be fabricated, and the quality was pretty shocking. What's more, the fabricator admitted that the quality was poor and Perkins is currently in a lengthy game of email tennis with them to try and get his money back, or get the prototypes done properly. Some of you may be thinking "well if he'd run a GB, there'd be budget for this", and whilst that may be true; just because you have a bit of cash, doesn't mean people should get away with doing a crappy job, so that would've just increased the pressure of getting money back, finding a new fabricator, having a full time job and a young family...
This in particular was always meant to be a passion project that was made available to other people, rather than something with a load of commitment and stress attached to it (and look how that turned out!)

And what's going on with 1930?! There was some complexity around the timing of full packages landing with us. We've blown right through every reasonable deadline now, purely as a result of the timing of all of the above and below, and I know it's not good enough. Ecto has offered to help with the shipping so we can get these sets out ASAP, and I'm planning to talk to him right after I post this message to see about making that happen. Once again, I am really sorry about how this has shaken out - it's been a perfect storm and I know a lot of you are mad and you have every right to be, but we're going to sort it out as soon as possible.

And finally: until Perkins is ready to come back and continue Whimsy at a reasonable pace, I will be temporarily trying to field questions from as many people as possible. If you have any questions, feel free to DM me or tag me in channels and I will either answer your questions, or get you an answer as soon as I can. You can literally ask me anything and I will try to get you an answer. I also have a very busy full time job but I will do my best to get quick and accurate answers to any of your questions.

I'm sorry that I can't offer you a more fun update than this, and that it took so long for this update to happen, but people's mental health always has to come first, and I can't personally write updates for you until I know what the situation is. Thanks for understanding, and if you don't, I'm sorry that this was a waste of your time.

Jasper

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 04:25:59 »

jaspertandy#9501:

Hi everyone,

Firstly I want to apologise for the influx of spam in the last few days. For some reason I wasn't getting tagged in these messages so that I actually saw them, and you had to put up with them for longer than you should. I've installed a plugin recommended by ecto that should help stem this, but please tag me directly if you see more of it so that I definitely get notified to delete it.

Secondly, I know a lot of people are wondering what the hell is going on, with varying degrees of speculation, and that's totally fair. Hopefully this message will serve to clear some things up a bit. I don't want to speak for Perkins, so I'm going to keep that to a minimum, but I will say that he's been going through a very tough time personally for the last 6+ months, and keyboards haven't been on his radar. Whilst I understand that this leads to frustration at a lack of knowing what's going on with Fourteen's projects, it is what it is (I know 1930 people are going to be on the verge of a rage right now - please hold your thoughts for a second, I am getting to 1930).

So what's going on with Whimsy? Perkins made the decision right out the gate that he wasn't going to take any money for Whimsy until there were prototypes in-hand. It was always going to be the case that manufacturing was going to be done as close to 100% UK-based as possible. Perkins paid for case prototypes to be fabricated, and the quality was pretty shocking. What's more, the fabricator admitted that the quality was poor and Perkins is currently in a lengthy game of email tennis with them to try and get his money back, or get the prototypes done properly. Some of you may be thinking "well if he'd run a GB, there'd be budget for this", and whilst that may be true; just because you have a bit of cash, doesn't mean people should get away with doing a crappy job, so that would've just increased the pressure of getting money back, finding a new fabricator, having a full time job and a young family...
This in particular was always meant to be a passion project that was made available to other people, rather than something with a load of commitment and stress attached to it (and look how that turned out!)

And what's going on with 1930?! There was some complexity around the timing of full packages landing with us. We've blown right through every reasonable deadline now, purely as a result of the timing of all of the above and below, and I know it's not good enough. Ecto has offered to help with the shipping so we can get these sets out ASAP, and I'm planning to talk to him right after I post this message to see about making that happen. Once again, I am really sorry about how this has shaken out - it's been a perfect storm and I know a lot of you are mad and you have every right to be, but we're going to sort it out as soon as possible.

And finally: until Perkins is ready to come back and continue Whimsy at a reasonable pace, I will be temporarily trying to field questions from as many people as possible. If you have any questions, feel free to DM me or tag me in channels and I will either answer your questions, or get you an answer as soon as I can. You can literally ask me anything and I will try to get you an answer. I also have a very busy full time job but I will do my best to get quick and accurate answers to any of your questions.

I'm sorry that I can't offer you a more fun update than this, and that it took so long for this update to happen, but people's mental health always has to come first, and I can't personally write updates for you until I know what the situation is. Thanks for understanding, and if you don't, I'm sorry that this was a waste of your time.

Jasper

Thank you for updating the thread with this info, it is very useful to know.  I for one do not want to be the guy who puts more stress onto anyone venturing into making their own keeb for others to enjoy.  I will keep watching and in hope that this project will again one day fly, until then, breath and don't take any of this too seriously.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline __init__

« Reply #272 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 05:42:18 »

jaspertandy#9501:

Hi everyone,

Jasper

Thank you for updating the thread with this info, it is very useful to know.  I for one do not want to be the guy who puts more stress onto anyone venturing into making their own keeb for others to enjoy.  I will keep watching and in hope that this project will again one day fly, until then, breath and don't take any of this too seriously.

100% I don't understand why some people are getting upset over someone sharing an idea they had for a keyboard. If this was post-GB with no communication/information, sure, but my understanding is that an IC is very non-committal (quite literally the name, INTEREST CHECK).
I look forward to when WHIMSY will be eventually released.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #273 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 10:02:38 »
100% I don't understand why some people are getting upset over someone sharing an idea they had for a keyboard. If this was post-GB with no communication/information, sure, but my understanding is that an IC is very non-committal (quite literally the name, INTEREST CHECK).

It is an Interest Check, but unfortunately with the way a lot of keysets are run, most people assume if it's in IC it's obviously going to GB. 
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Nurseh

• Sorry for always apologizing
« Reply #274 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 23:22:26 »

jaspertandy#9501:

Hi everyone,

Jasper

I feel like people were just excited for it, but I agree that there's no need to be upset. If its meant to be it will come eventually for people.

Offline koe

« Reply #275 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 22:44:11 »
As sad as it is that this isn't coming to fruition, I'm kinda glad I decided to get a minivan a year ago instead or I'd still be waiting.

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #276 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 23:49:29 »
So sorry to hear about the proto issue & Perkins’ personal issues :( Sending keyboard love through the internet.

I’m looking forward to when this restarts, if he gets to that place.