Author Topic: [IC] GMK SERIKA  (Read 78016 times)

Offline dr-slump

Re: [IC] GMK SERIKA
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 11:31:59 »
GMK : check
Beige: check
Accents: check
Norde: CHECK

I'M definitely in !
Waiting for GMK Miami Dolch ISO . . .

Looking for: Titainium Spacebar 6.25

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 13:42:39 »
Since it isn't part of the MD vote I'd like to voice my support for a blocknet/micon kit for this set.  :thumb:

Offline airyloft

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 13:47:07 »
Why use Massdrop? NOT a fan.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 13:49:07 »

Biggest reach unfortunately.

Offline noSatellite

• perpetual n00b
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 13:52:16 »

Honest question, and genuinely curious as I don't know the history here - why is Massdrop held is low regard in this community?
What I lack in time, resources, and knowledge I make up for in passion, enthusiasm and ignorance.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 14:04:59 »
Since it isn't part of the MD vote I'd like to voice my support for a blocknet/micon kit for this set.  :thumb:

Please, don't add it as an option to the poll for now, I'll add it myself once I get permission and renders done.

That has been already answered in the FAQ.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 17:38:31 »
This project is very interesting

congratulations, i hope it is a success

KMK labs

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 20:16:46 »
Quick update: MiTo has given me permission to test how Micons would look like in Serika. Once I receive the files, I'll do some tests and post them on this thread!

Offline Allo

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 21:18:53 »

Honest question, and genuinely curious as I don't know the history here - why is Massdrop held is low regard in this community?

They had some issues with past keyset drops. Delays and sometimes people not getting what they ordered. They have been pretty good with the last few sets, e.g. GMK Yuri, GMK Nautilus, XDA Godspeed.

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 07:00:20 »
Nice looking keyset. But.. I would say I was really hyped by your banner, logo and all the graphical around this SERIKA (the box is amazing) but I think the keyset is very "classical", just a color scheme, few novelties, and the classical gmk look (that I personnaly don't really like xD!). I want to see what the mito icons can look like on it :D !

Edit: I don't know if it is possible, but since the theme is "geometric", could it be possible to change the font used , to maybe something more modern and symetrical, with centered character?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 07:04:13 by foxlive »

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 08:09:48 »
Nice looking keyset. But.. I would say I was really hyped by your banner, logo and all the graphical around this SERIKA (the box is amazing) but I think the keyset is very "classical", just a color scheme, few novelties, and the classical gmk look (that I personnaly don't really like xD!). I want to see what the mito icons can look like on it :D !

Edit: I don't know if it is possible, but since the theme is "geometric", could it be possible to change the font used , to maybe something more modern and symetrical, with centered character?

I think Zambumon likes keeping costs low and these suggestions sound pretty expensive..

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 09:57:48 »
The keyset has a colorway that tries to balance modern and more classic design, so for some people this would fall under the "boring" category. I've received the approval from MiTo to test some of his Micons on this set. Both Hiragana and Micons kits will be posted at the same time, so please be a little bit patient about this update as I have to tweak some details before posting anything.

Regarding the novelties, the more novelties we add, the more the kit costs. There's a decent amount of novelties on this set, so you can expect from me to do some minor tweaks but I don't want to end up with a $50 Novelty kit.

As for the font changes there are and won't be any plans to make a new font for this set. It would make the set quite expensive and lots of new molds would need to be done and tested.

Offline manzel

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 04:21:14 »
I like it. For the novelties set, however, I think it would be nice to also have the circle and square thing in R4. This way, you could display more different logos an the board. I see why you did it the way it is now - to keep the kit small and have the signature Serika 'A' twice for every different size for that symmetrical look - but I would love to have a little variation.

Offline foxlive

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:40:44 »
The keyset has a colorway that tries to balance modern and more classic design, so for some people this would fall under the "boring" category. I've received the approval from MiTo to test some of his Micons on this set. Both Hiragana and Micons kits will be posted at the same time, so please be a little bit patient about this update as I have to tweak some details before posting anything.

Regarding the novelties, the more novelties we add, the more the kit costs. There's a decent amount of novelties on this set, so you can expect from me to do some minor tweaks but I don't want to end up with a $50 Novelty kit.

As for the font changes there are and won't be any plans to make a new font for this set. It would make the set quite expensive and lots of new molds would need to be done and tested.
I understand your point of view. I want to see what it will give with Hiragana and Micons :) !

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 08:49:51 »
Serika color samples have arrived.I've published on my blog a post about them.

TL;DR: they are close but not a perfect match with the reference color, but I'm very confident that with a second round of samples we'll get a perfect match.

Locking the thread for now, will unlocked it for kit updates.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 17:20:02 by Zambumon »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 10:34:31 »
Update #2 is coming soon, based on feedback from the community, I'm performing some changes on some of the kits and adding two new kits to the set!

Here is a sneak peak of Serika with Hiragana on a Tokyo60

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 07:40:30 »
Pending approval for the new legends, here are the new two kits for Serika:

Hiragana

I've marked in red some of the new additions to the Hiragana kit. Now, it includes all the secondary legends that were missing previously, punctuation signs and japanese quotation marks. Although I'm not going for a complete JIS coverage (given that it we'd need a completely different custom row and more keys), to me it felt wrong that some of the hiragana legends were missing so I decided to fix those.

Micons

Micons offer a solution to the icon problem, and they fit like a charm with Serika. I've done some small fixes and added 65% layout coverage to this kit, which is pending Mito's approval otherwise, the set should be fairly similar to Laser's Blocknet.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 09:31:17 »
now it cant be said to be a boring keyset

Good Work,

Kerasan KM Labs

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 09:36:07 »
The 2 new kits assure that I will be purchasing a set. Great work!

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 09:41:47 »
Oh man now I must buy the set. Hiragana/micons/novelties just like laser. 65% support is all I need.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 10:34:35 »
Just before somebody asks this: I don't plan to expand the coverage of the Micons kit. The goal adding these four keys is to continue to ease the path for a full Micon base kit.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 10:43:23 »
Just before somebody asks this: I don't plan to expand the coverage of the Micons kit. The goal adding these four keys is to continue to ease the path for a full Micon base kit.

it would be great, I approve

Kerasan KMK Labs.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 10:56:06 »
Would love to join if there is "Pure Hiragana" set. Will you provide that as an option as well?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Max_P0

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 11:11:21 »
Will this be going up on MassDrop ?

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 11:17:53 »
This is looking really nice! I am interested for sure!
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 11:40:25 »

TL;DR: they are close but not a perfect match with the reference color, but I'm very confident that with a second round of samples we'll get a perfect match.

That color turned out really good. Hopefully the GB doesn't get scuffed like other custom color buys.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 11:51:21 »
Would love to join if there is "Pure Hiragana" set. Will you provide that as an option as well?

No, I'm not considering doing a pure hiragana., it would split the sales and make things more costly, which is what happened with Red Samurai.

That color turned out really good. Hopefully the GB doesn't get scuffed like other custom color buys.

I requested new samples for that yellow, tho and provided my own plastic chips. The yellow is very close to be a perfect match.

Will this be going up on MassDrop ?

Yes, that has been already answered on the FAQ of the OP.

Offline foxlive

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 13:52:39 »
now it cant be said to be a boring keyset

Good Work,

Kerasan KM Labs

Agreed! It look very nice now ;)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 14:06:40 »

Hiragana
Show Image

I've marked in red some of the new additions to the Hiragana kit. Now, it includes all the secondary legends that were missing previously, punctuation signs and japanese quotation marks. Although I'm not going for a complete JIS coverage (given that it we'd need a completely different custom row and more keys), to me it felt wrong that some of the hiragana legends were missing so I decided to fix those.

Micons
Show Image

Micons offer a solution to the icon problem, and they fit like a charm with Serika. I've done some small fixes and added 65% layout coverage to this kit, which is pending Mito's approval otherwise, the set should be fairly similar to Laser's Blocknet.

I don't quite get the keys with 2 of the same legend, seems odd to me, but the extension of micons is great. the lack of 65% never made any sense to me.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 14:29:15 »

Hiragana
Show Image

Micons
Show Image

I don't quite get the keys with 2 of the same legend, seems odd to me, but the extension of micons is great. the lack of 65% never made any sense to me.

Those are used to create the small sounds. A small "tsu" つ is used for to create a like a mini stop when pronouncing a word.

Some short post about it.

I'll add this question to the FAQ on my next update.

Offline pomk

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 12:51:28 »
Would it be possible to add the missing three keys to the norde kit, so that it would cover the SWE/FI layout? (§½, 2" and 4¤)

Why is there a #~ key in the Hiragana kit? the windows layout that all of the other keys match produces the characters \| when pressed. Does windows have some other Japanese layout that would generate the characters #~ as present on the key? As far as I understand # is already on top of 3 and ~ on the left of 1. I would much appreciate it if the set would be accurate to the windows layout that it otherwise does a good job representing.  :thumb:

The additional keys to the micons kit is much appreciated and I hope that Mito will approve of them. One could add an ISO enter there though, it seems like a weird thing to omit considering that it is as popular as 1.5U bottom row mods.  ;)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:53:53 »
Would it be possible to add the missing three keys to the norde kit, so that it would cover the SWE/FI layout? (§½, 2" and 4¤)

Why is there a #~ key in the Hiragana kit? the windows layout that all of the other keys match produces the characters \| when pressed. Does windows have some other Japanese layout that would generate the characters #~ as present on the key? As far as I understand # is already on top of 3 and ~ on the left of 1. I would much appreciate it if the set would be accurate to the windows layout that it otherwise does a good job representing.  :thumb:

The additional keys to the micons kit is much appreciated and I hope that Mito will approve of them. One could add an ISO enter there though, it seems like a weird thing to omit considering that it is as popular as 1.5U bottom row mods.  ;)

• Nordic keys will be reviewed after I receive some very specific numbers from Nautilus. Once I get those numbers, I'll decide what to do with the kit.
  • Please, note that both that I just posted the Hiragana and Micons kit so you could get a sneak peak of what's coming up, I was already aware of the two issues you have mentioned and the upcoming update fixes them both (so yes, ISO Micon is the last piece of that kit) :D

Micons usage has been approved by MiTo. This will be the second time these icons are used on a GMK. I'd like to thank MiTo for letting me not only to use them on Serika, but to add new icons to the GMK collection. This will be the first time these icons aren't used on a MiTo set.  :thumb:

Offline pomk

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 15:09:34 »
+ISO
I sense a shopping frenzy in the horizon  :cool:

Offline Snappo

• meme
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:26:55 »
I think the contrast of the set would be better with black/grey arrow keys. nice work otherwise, simple yet I like it.

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:32:33 »
any reason why r3 control is centered (micons)?
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:39:36 by finalarcadia »

Offline Fooblitzky

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:48:18 »
I'm sorry, but this is all I see when I look at the Micons:

But, I do like them.

I've been waiting for double shot dark text on light Hiragana caps. Those look amazing.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 04:11:15 »
I think the contrast of the set would be better with black/grey arrow keys. nice work otherwise, simple yet I like it.

The updated Geometries kit will have some of those.

None, that's one of the tweaks I was talking about on my previous post. That kit has also the wrong rows for the keycaps that provide 65% support. Don't worry all of those issues are solved on Update #2.

Show Image

But, I do like them.

I've been waiting for double shot dark text on light Hiragana caps. Those look amazing.

Serika's yellow is, to my surprise, the same yellow used on many Lego. I've been tweaking the renders to reflect this and have something closer to the samples I expect to receive and the final result.

Offline anorak

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 04:45:34 »
This needs a yellow spacebar.
And tertier level legends for the NORDE kit.

Well, I'll definitely buy it. Need something as a contrast to my GMK Dolch set.

Offline Snappo

• meme
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 08:47:31 »

The updated Geometries kit will have some of those.

None, that's one of the tweaks I was talking about on my previous post. That kit has also the wrong rows for the keycaps that provide 65% support. Don't worry all of those issues are solved on Update #2.

Show Image

But, I do like them.

Serika's yellow is, to my surprise, the same yellow used on many Lego. I've been tweaking the renders to reflect this and have something closer to the samples I expect to receive and the final result.

Nice, I'm in for sure then. Good luck.

Offline TheMissingPiece

• TheAverageOne
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 10:55:31 »

Show Image

LEGO-inspired novelties would make this an insta-buy for me.

edit: eyes might need to be spaced closer together to match the minifig.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 17:47:58 »

Show Image

But, I do like them.

Hah, this made me realize that Serika will probably go well with my Lego Technics Volvo L350F: https://shop.lego.com/en-FI/Remote-Controlled-VOLVO-L350F-Wheel-Loader-42030
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline FSund

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 04:02:01 »
With the addition of Hiragana and Micons sets, should perhaps the alphas be separated from the core kit?
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 05:45:34 »
With the addition of Hiragana and Micons sets, should perhaps the alphas be separated from the core kit?

I don't have plans to do so. The core kit will remain as it is. It provides a good layout coverage and for many it will be the only kit needed. For me, the base kit is the center piece of the set, and it should be an all-in-one affordable kit.

Offline FSund

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 06:35:21 »
I prefer separate alphas and mods, but I see the arguments for both sides. Having lots of separate kits often lead to higher prices.

Do you know how the Serika/Lego yellow will compare to the yellow in Nautilus (GMK N6?) ? I'm considering getting just the Micons set and mixing with Nautilus keys.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 07:44:09 »
I prefer separate alphas and mods, but I see the arguments for both sides. Having lots of separate kits often lead to higher prices.

Do you know how the Serika/Lego yellow will compare to the yellow in Nautilus (GMK N6?) ? I'm considering getting just the Micons set and mixing with Nautilus keys.

Not the same yellow, Nautilus yellow is slightly darker and more orange.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 11:28:21 »

Update #2 will be released soon. I'm still currently making some final tweaks and making sure that everything is fine before posting anything, but it should be out this week. This update has taken me longer than what I expected as I've tweaked the colors and added new boards to my gallery. So most of the renders needed to be remade. But anyways, here is the final teaser before the update!

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 12:07:36 »
Cannot get winky face caps lock out of my head hahaha. Love the mitocons!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:18:54 »

Winky face or a person swimming? ;)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:40:47 »

Update #2 will be released soon. I'm still currently making some final tweaks and making sure that everything is fine before posting anything, but it should be out this week. This update has taken me longer than what I expected as I've tweaked the colors and added new boards to my gallery. So most of the renders needed to be remade. But anyways, here is the final teaser before the update!

Show Image

this set earned 1000 points now ... would you recommend this set only on black keyboards or the various grays?

KMK labs

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 16:22:01 »

Winky face or a person swimming? ;)
Now I can't stop picturing a guy swimming hah!