Author Topic: [IC] GMK Miami Nights Reloaded  (Read 13632 times)

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

[IC] GMK Miami Nights Reloaded
« on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:37:57 »

Some of you may know some of you may not know this but this set was originally designed a long-long time ago, 2015 to be precise
 and the whole story is pretty dramatic and dark so i don't want to get deep into it and blame or justify anyone let's just say that
 the whole thing went not as planned.
2 years later in 2017 Originative.Co ran a successful group-buy based on existed colors and
 name, since then a lot of people were waiting to see this set coming back with a fresh look and modern kitting.
 For me personally Miami Nights is the most gorgeus set that GMK produced for all time
 So i had this idea in my head for almost a year now and today i feel like it's finally time to give it a shot
 and see how community feels about this.
 To start i've created only a base kit render with a slightly updated colors.
 I know it's not a lot but for now i just want to see if this idea has a potential to grow further.

This is early stage of IC and colors are not final in any way.
I feel like the main colors of the set which is [TU2] for teal [MG1] for pink and [GE1] for yellow accents from basic GMK color palette should be the same
But for a base color i chose to go with a RAL Classic 5004 this is one the deepest navy color from the RAL book
and after a countless hours of comparing one to another i believe its representing miami night sky better then anything.
Although i keep in mind an idea to recreate a set using RAL colors only

I've been working on this kit for quite some time now and i think that this is pretty close to what most people would be happy with
There is small OG references that i wanted to be on this set such as "System" and "Super" modifiers from the old days
Some double-line legends on modifiers and old divide symbol
Let me know what you think about this, there is always room to improve

TBA

TBA

TBA

TBA

So far i'm working on this alone
 Although i have some ideas on novelties, colors and kitting i would love to have someone to help me with a renders, feedback, kitting, design and other.
If you want to be a part of this feel free to contact me on Discord: kucherenkoZZZ#6690

Offline huey

Re: [IC] GMK Miami Nights Reloaded
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:42:28 »
Why a RAL for the black(which was CR)?

Also, I'm disappointed UK-ISO is forgone.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:44:07 by huey »

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:43:55 »

Check "Colors" section please there an explanation for this

As i said its the earliest IC stage and kitting is not finalized
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:45:30 by KucherenkoZZZ »

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:44:18 »
I think it looks great, and the dark blue is a nice way to distinguish it from the OG set.

Not sure if there's any specific "designer" behind the colorway, but would be a nice gesture to check in with them, if you haven't already. GLWIC!

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:46:02 »
I think it looks great, and the dark blue is a nice way to distinguish it from the OG set.

Not sure if there's any specific "designer" behind the colorway, but would be a nice gesture to check in with them, if you haven't already. GLWIC!

Thank you so much

Offline huey

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:46:52 »

I understand that you included it in the post. I just don't think it's a warranted change. CR was just fine. This also removes compatibility this the other "nights" family - including the original set.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:51:41 by huey »

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:49:35 »
needs the purse

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:52:42 »

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:53:00 »

I understand that you included it in the post. I just don't think it's a warranted change. CR was just fine.

My point of changing CR to RAL was to breathe in some freshness to this set. The dark color in this set should represent a night sky of miami and to me the sky never looks completely black there is always a some tint to it, especially if we are talking about Miami where is the whole city shines brightest at night and gives a sky some unique feel. But i will keep in mind your opinion on this

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:58:58 »
Ok, great, but this is lazy, why are you IC'ing something when you haven't even decided on all the kits? Everything except base TBA?

This is rushed 101 to capitalize and claim the colorway for any upcoming buy, no care at all.

Offline sGhost

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:59:06 »
Metropolis is having r2, and now r3? damn thats quick  :eek:

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:02:29 »
Metropolis is having r2, and now r3? damn thats quick  :eek:

Miami is a lot older. It's companion set should be ran next to it so we can have 2 mono sets, but I guess that wasn't thought of either

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:08:03 »
Ok, great, but this is lazy, why are you IC'ing something when you haven't even decided on all the kits? Everything except base TBA?

This is rushed 101 to capitalize and claim the colorway for any upcoming buy, no care at all.

Because as i wrote this is the earliest stage of IC and im just gathering interest for the set in general, i have some ideas for the novelties and pretty much have great certainty for the other kits but i want to hear a community first as the initial story of this set is pretty complicated. Im not rushing this is in any way there is a long road ahead for this set if it's gonna fly
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:10:55 by KucherenkoZZZ »

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:14:53 »
Did you ask permission first? I've messaged originative multiple times about doing a rerun/spinnoff of Miami nights, and they told me that they don't want anyone using their design

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:20:03 »
Did you ask permission first? I've messaged originative multiple times about doing a rerun/spinnoff of Miami nights, and they told me that they don't want anyone using their design

From originative themselves ^^
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:21:52 by NovaRMK »

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:25:33 »

Originative is not the owner of the original colorway. The initial IC and GB (that went not as planned) for this set was posted in 2015 here on geekhack by someone with a nickname "IvanIvanovich" after he collected the money for GB he simply vanished and the last time his account was active 3 years ago, Originative made the set only in 2017 (2 years after initial designer post) using existed colors and name and something tells me that they are not asked any permission for that either BUT if it turns out that they actually have some sort of permission from him and they are the rightful owners of this colorway and name we can close this thread the forget about this idea.

Offline huey

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:33:53 »

Originative is not the owner of the original colorway. The initial IC and GB (that went not as planned) for this set was posted in 2015 here on geekhack by someone with a nickname "IvanIvanovich" after he collected the money for GB he simply vanished and the last time his account was active 3 years ago, Originative made the set only in 2017 (2 years after initial designer post) using existed colors and name and something tells me that they are not asked any permission for that either BUT if it turns out that they actually have some sort of permission from him and they are the rightful owners of this colorway and name we can close this thread the forget about this idea.

That's very odd. Ivan disappeared, I don't understand how they could gain permission from him but the GB members couldn't get their set. That timeline doesn't add up. I believe it should sit in a realm with WoB/BoW/Beige. The sad thing is, GMK would actually turn it down to keep in good favour with oco, which is sad.

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:37:32 »

That's very odd. Ivan disappeared, I don't understand how they could gain permission from him but the GB members couldn't get their set. That timeline doesn't add up. I believe it should sit in a realm with WoB/BoW/Beige. The sad thing is, GMK would actually turn it down to keep in good favour with oco, which is sad.

I knew about Ivan, I did extensive research about the situation when I myself was trying to run the set, however, I still decided to ask originative. This is what originative told me:

Regardless, I'm excited to see this set actually be revived. I was really passionate about bringing this set back into the community and was disappointed when originative told me that they had the rights to the set, and they didn't want me running it. GLWIC  :thumb:

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:38:52 »

What timeline you are talking about? 2015 Ivan 2017 Originative? You can easily check this information in a couple minutes. I just think that 2017 was a time when no one really cared about permissions. Anyway i will contact GMK regarding this to see what they have to say

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:43:00 »

I knew about Ivan, I did extensive research about the situation when I myself was trying to run the set, however, I still decided to ask originative. This is what originative told me:

Show Image

Regardless, I'm excited to see this set actually be revived. I was really passionate about bringing this set back into the community and was disappointed when originative told me that they had the rights to the set, and they didn't want me running it. GLWIC  :thumb:

I actually contacted them couple days ago regarding Ivan contacts to get a permission when i heard about their rights on this set i asked about previous designer and it turned out they are "not aware of the original situation regarding the set" which seems like a ton of house **** to me

Offline geohammy

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:46:19 »
I would really like to see black instead of deep navy as the base color. I love the original Miami Nights because of how the neon legends jump out on a black background.
Unagi, Bias, Dolphin, XTAL

Join the YVKB Discord:
https://discord.gg/pCjDYqup6r

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:48:24 »

Show Image

I actually contacted them couple days ago regarding Ivan contacts to get a permission when i heard about their rights on this set i asked about previous designer and it turned out they are "not aware of the original situation regarding the set" which seems like a ton of house **** to me

Show Image

Yeah, sounds more like they'll take ownership of the set right up until someone presents the truth, in which case they'll play dumb. Either way, this is clearly a fault on originative's part, and I'm still very excited to see this set return

Offline huey

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:50:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

I don't believe they have any grounds to claim this. I think you will still have trouble ahead because oco has a working relationship with GMK. Best of luck.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:51:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

Sounds like o.co is going to shut this down if you attempt to run it.

Offline ManoliVisuals

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 14:52:58 »
**** it im in

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:03:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

Okay then by logic GMK should shut down their R2 attempt since they don't have a permission from the original owner and GMK Miami Nights will be dead forever unless IvanIvanovich will come back and try to do this set again. And that's would be fair i am would completely agree with this, but i would close my eyes on everything if i knew that they are preparing R2 in a couple months but it seems to me that this is gonna take years, wouldn't it be nice to give me a right for this reload since im already have some ideas and vision about this and we can all get a set on hands in a year or so
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:08:26 by KucherenkoZZZ »

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:10:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

Okay then by logic GMK should shut down their R2 attempt since they don't have a permission from the original owner and GMK Miami Nights will be dead forever unless IvanIvanovich will come back and try to do this set again. And that's would be fair

I think you missed the comment that huey posted. Originative has a really tight relationship with GMK. They were one of the original brands to start running GMK sets, and they've been working together for like 8 or 9 years now. The point is, even if Originative doesn't has rights to the set, they have have influence over GMK. If it comes down to it, GMK potentially will side with originative on this one and decide to not produce this set.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:13:33 »
o.co has commercial precedent with this product. Having run it already in the past, my guess is that GMK will honor this and continue to work with them exclusively in the future for this colorway.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:20:39 »
o.co has commercial precedent with this product. Having run it already in the past, my guess is that GMK will honor this and continue to work with them exclusively in the future for this colorway.

My understanding is that GMK stock colors are fair game. The only thing oco could take umbrage with here is the name.

Which is ironic as **** considering they were fine with piggybacking off Janglad by calling their one set "Sky Modo".

Offline Starston3

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:22:04 »
Even if oco does not shut this down... GMK might.

So just grabbing the popcorn and commenting to see how this unfolds.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:24:22 »
If this becomes a thing, I'd like to see Hype Abused done too.

Also, the contrast with CR is better than with the new RAL, IMO.

Also, do agree that just having a singular render as a claim to an IC effort, when the rest isn't remotely close to done, is a bit hasty.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:29:23 »
Need some popcorn

Offline aleeex

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:35:40 »

"group-buy based on existed colors" - "people were waiting to see this set coming back" - "most gorgeus set that GMK produced for all time"

I too hate spellcheck

Offline beadlock

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:39:01 »

This is early stage of IC and colors are not final in any way.
I feel like the main colors of the set which is [TU2] for teal [MG1] for pink and [GE1] for yellow accents from basic GMK color palette should be the same
But for a base color i chose to go with a RAL Classic 5004 this is one the deepest navy color from the RAL book
and after a countless hours of comparing one to another i believe its representing miami night sky better then anything.

Although i keep in mind an idea to recreate a set using RAL colors only

Current state of GMK: Being as accurate to life as possible, so you have chosen to bring awareness to prevalent light pollution in Miami by changing set color from CR black to a dark navy.

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:43:26 »
If this becomes a thing, I'd like to see Hype Abused done too.

Also, the contrast with CR is better than with the new RAL, IMO.

Also, do agree that just having a singular render as a claim to an IC effort, when the rest isn't remotely close to done, is a bit hasty.

I can do novelties and bars in 2-3 days tops, but the more i'm reading this IC  the more i think that the guys above are probably right in regarding that even though Originative probably doesn't have a rights to run this set or claim themselves as owners or designers GMK will still shut it down because they are having a tight relationships and i wasn't aware of this at all since the main players on this market in US right now is probably novelkeys / cannonkeys
Although i will contact GMK and see what they have to say about all of this if i will get a go the rest of the kit's will be done with lightning (lol) speed
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:46:33 by KucherenkoZZZ »

Offline aleeex

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:47:07 »
I can do novelties and bars in 2-3 days tops

So then why didn't you wait 2-3 day then post a completed IC?

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:54:51 »
I would like to claim the GMK Olivia Colorway if we're all playing steal someone else's colorway and claim it as there own like Oco.

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 15:56:36 »
I can do novelties and bars in 2-3 days tops

So then why didn't you wait 2-3 day then post a completed IC?

Because i wanted to check the situation first about rights and support to run this set on my own. I don't really understand what difference novelties or bars or 40's kit's will make since the problem for now is not a set's kitting but the overall potential to make this set happen

Offline aleeex

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 16:09:50 »
Because i wanted to check the situation first about rights and support to run this set on my own. I don't really understand what difference novelties or bars or 40's kit's will make since the problem for now is not a set's kitting but the overall potential to make this set happen

Well usually posted IC's are a lot more developed. If it really is as easy for you to produce novelties as you say it is (2-3 days), then choosing to not simply wait that very short period means you're trying to rush this set - which isn't a good look.

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 16:16:45 »

Well usually posted IC's are a lot more developed. If it really is as easy for you to produce novelties as you say it is (2-3 days), then choosing to not simply wait that very short period means you're trying to rush this set - which isn't a good look.

Okay, got it, i will keep that in mind

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 17:06:49 »
I’m in.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 17:31:43 »

My understanding is that GMK stock colors are fair game. The only thing oco could take umbrage with here is the name.

Which is ironic as **** considering they were fine with piggybacking off Janglad by calling their one set "Sky Modo".
can't forget about muted retro

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 18:37:32 »
While I do want to see a rerun of miami nights, I think this has started off on the wrong foot. Whether or not a person or company owns the rights to the colors. Its best to always give them a heads up as the original runners. You could have easily skipped all this by calling it something else but you intentionally wanted it to be based off the original. We know what happens with these IC’s. Goodluck on your set.

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 01:23:53 »
LET'S GO

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 01:49:19 »
ignore all the useless and negative comments and keep it up! glwic and on improving this set to prove the haters wrong!

Offline L4ll1g470r

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 02:51:09 »
Considering there’s clones of this running continuously at even what I would call reputable vendors, I think thete’s a bit too much drama.

If there’s a NordeUK this time around, I’ll participate.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 03:12:48 »
I would go in again on a full set, I loved the colour way 1st time round.  Please make sure there is UK ISO added to the base kit or alternativly add a Norde/UK kit and I will support that as well for all peoples.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 03:36:06 »
While I do want to see a rerun of miami nights, I think this has started off on the wrong foot. Whether or not a person or company owns the rights to the colors. Its best to always give them a heads up as the original runners. You could have easily skipped all this by calling it something else but you intentionally wanted it to be based off the original. We know what happens with these IC’s. Goodluck on your set.

I thought about it and to be honest i don't think that changing a name of the set would let me run it, especially when a lot of people want to see original black base color instead of a deep navy blue

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 03:42:18 »
Hot

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 04:16:48 »

I thought about it and to be honest i don't think that changing a name of the set would let me run it, especially when a lot of people want to see original black base color instead of a deep navy blue
I want to support it as well. I think with a different base color spectrum, you can run it with a different name, just call it city  night life or whatever. Also, if you plan to continue, please make sure to have novelties for both ansi and iso enter.