Author Topic: 2013 Noppoo Choc Mini review  (Read 71348 times)

Offline Cev

• The Trillest
Re: 2013 Noppoo Choc Mini review
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:32:34 »
Probably just a typo from the seller, or they are filled with drugs.
Wouldn't get much for $200 bud :P and I doubt it's a typo, I've messaged him about it and he reckons they're out of stock, despite his eBay saying they have over 20 available.

I have a feeling it's due to the stock levels of the White Choc Mini (84 key) being so low. I suspect intelligent-pro is the only person with stock on them and is using this to his advantage.

Can anybody confirm this?

Offline melt

• check out my Instagram!
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 16:19:34 »
holy crap, stellar and thorough review... like real thorough. nice... now if it would only work natively on a mac...

Offline AndyCapets

• I have a French ANSI keyboard, kiss me now.
    • YouTube!
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 16:10:18 »
Thanks for the review, I'd love to have a keyboard with this layout, I love the keys, just the printing on it looks beautiful. I'm saving to build a Phantom/GH60 if I can get my hands on one!
I don't I like broccoli.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 10:59:42 »
So I was poking around my local eBay like store and someone is selling his Choc Mini MX Black for around us$60. His forum post was 2011 so I PM-ed him and he said it is still available. I guess I could bargain a cheaper price, it's late here so it is unlikely he will answer at this hour. Now, since this is likely a 2011 or 2010 model, does the quality hold? It's a POM keycap. Photos are in this forum link.
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=1960136&hl=

This guys seemed to be a mechanical lover. He has Choc Mini Red, Brown, Blacks and at one time he had a Unicomp SpaceSaver which he sold - I almost got this keyboard off him but was too late. Anyway, I love the compact size of the Choc Mini and thought this would be useful to put in the work environment. MX Black would be non-tactile and non-clicky, so it will work fine. I am just not very sure of this China-made keyboard. And geekhack doesn't have much review, except this one.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 01:21:38 »
I ordered the Choc Mini Cherry MX Black from him for around US$55.
This particular review convinced me. I think it has the same 2010 model:
http://www.overclock.net/t/902905/review-noppoo-choc-mini-mechanical-keyboad-cherry-mx-brown-nkro-under-usb

So excited.

Looks like I am in the path of collecting mech keyboards. This is insane.

I hope I will like MX Black but I already doubt it because of no tactility. I intend to use it for gaming (more than typing) so it may work. We'll see. One of my friend bought Steel Series G6V2 and when I went to their website, to my surprise, these are MX Blacks too and their marketing spin put it such that the Blacks are the most sought after and most qualities. I wonder.......... Anyway, I will update here once I get the Choc Mini.

Offline Surnia

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 15:35:06 »
When i picked up my filco, i had no intention of going linear. I thought exactly that, no tactility would suck and be hard to use. I was looking at blues, but feared they'd be too light (was switching from browns). The store had some mx blacks on the filco camo on demo, and i ended up doing about 20mins per switch, bouncing between the blacks and my original browns. Ended up with my current filco on my desk. Lack of facility is not an issue after some time, and you come to appreciate the smoothness of linears...   I don't like clears, nor do i like blues without orings now, due to how smooth a broken in black feels(sister has a red, too light for me).

The only time i bottom out is with passwords, just for peace of mind.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline Belfong

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 04:38:48 »
The thing is, lack of tactility and smoothness are also equivalent to a rubber dome keyboard, don't you think so?

Offline Surnia

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 23:44:44 »
The thing is, lack of tactility and smoothness are also equivalent to a rubber dome keyboard, don't you think so?

Not quite, almost all rubber domes have some form of tactility unless they're completely worn out. I would not call a rubber dome smooth in any sense, there's just a level of.. mush that you don't get with a leaf spring on plastic. Depending on where you hit the keys too, you might get variable levels of tactility on a dome due to how the dome's being pressed down.

Also having to occasionally use a rubber dome at work, the most aggravating thing is inconsistent key force and non-registering presses. Half the time if I'm copying something from notes to the computer on the domes, I'm stopping and rechecking my words because I can't tell if some strokes registered or not.

MX Black is one of those switches that you need to sit down, and use for a while. You will soon discover that you either love them or hate them, the usual defining factor being if the springs are too hard or just right (and the occasional weird person who loves the MX Grays who thinks they're too light).

One Caveat I have to mention is that I'm in general a rather strange person. I write with and enjoy using fountain pens (no pressure, very smooth writing), and I love using superbly sharp knives for everything (I carry a Spyderco daily for food/food prep, I maintain its edge to be hair shaving sharp. It is supremely satisfying to cut into any steak or chicken effortlessly without tearing the food). I enjoy a certain level of finesse with the things I use that are optimized in their function, using just enough effort to do exactly what I want it to do without excess.

MX Blacks offers this in a keyboard: Light enough to let you type properly, stiff enough to ensure you don't bottom out unless you actively try to.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline Belfong

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 19:45:19 »
Is there a guide to enable Noppoo to work with a Mac? I know of the USB-ps2-USB cable thingy but I'm not so keen with that solution. There are some files to be included and compiled but they seemed very technical. Is there an easier guide?

Edit: Let me answer my own question:
http://thefloweringash.github.io/iousbhiddriver-descriptor-override/
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 September 2013, 03:04:22 by Belfong »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 03:48:02 »
I gotta say that once I have the 'driver' from github and KeyRemap4MacBook running in the MacBook Air, the Choc Mini works like a dream. Every key pressed is accounted for except Scroll Lock, Num Lock and Pause. If I put it at the end of the Mac Book Air 13", the length of the Choc Mini is the same as the Air, so this keyboard fits really well with the Air.

All the special Mac keys such as brightness up/down, Launchpad, Dashboard, Key backlight, media keys are mapped to Function F1-F12, so it worked like the Air built in keyboard too.

The Air is a 78-key keyboard while the Choc Mini is 84 key. The extra keys that this keyboard gives which is not in the Air is Page Up and Page Down, so that is pretty cool! And when you press Fn-Page Up which is Home and Fn-Pg Down which is End, it worked too! This made the Choc a really good alternative for a Mac keyboard.

Edit with photo:

Choc Mini by Belfong, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 04:01:23 by Belfong »

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:42:27 »
Gah, I'm still so tempted, even though I have a Poker...
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline Attn84

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:51:48 »
Hey there folks, i have the "legendary hard-to-get" choc mini-2M since around the first days of june this year and i thought i might finally write a review in the next days.

it's the one that has red backlit, a detachable cable and wireless function. and it even works.

i only would like to know if you guys are interested in a review. let me know.

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:54:12 by Attn84 »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:37:32 »
Wow. Looks nice. Please review! Are they using POM keypads which is unlikely due to back lit. So I'm interested.

Offline rulex

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:58:07 »
Id like a review too. Does CTRL+ALT+F1 - F12 work on linux?

I got the older version (got it late 2011/early 2012) and I'm on linux and everything works except CTRL+ALT+FN.
Are there really no place that has these (or keycool 84) preferably black with backlit in stock?
Does anyone know if there even is more coming or should one start looking at other alternatives?

Offline Attn84

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 22:48:41 »
ok will try to work on that soon, i got a really tight daily schedule and i need to organize something better than my ****ty phone camera. and i don't know all those terms regarding keyboards. so be patient.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 23:05:36 »
I'm interested on the feel of the key cap. Are they matte material? Do they attract finger grease or prints?

Offline Calcifar

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 07:34:52 »
I really want that backlit version !

Offline Apocryphiliac

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 19:09:49 »
Help! I have a model identical to the one pictured above--I received it yesterday and it seemed to be in working order, until the wired connection cut out. Ironically, wirelesss remains reliable, but later, after getting the wired connection working again (It only required reconnecting) I let my PC go to sleep, and when it woke, the wired connection had stopped working again. Since then, I can't get a wired connection to register at all, on any of three Win 7 PCs. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Oh... and just as I was finishing this, the wired connection began working again.  And as I was typing the last sentence, it dropped out...again. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the cable, as I've three different ones at this point. Software compatibility issue? I'm honestly not really a tech-head, but I've never seen anything like this before.