geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

keycap profile demonstration props

<< < (9/10) > >>

Snarfangel:

--- Quote from: jacobolus on Sun, 08 February 2015, 15:39:33 ---If anyone has any questions/comments/suggestions/criticism, I'd love to answer and iterate.

I'm pretty busy this week and then I'll be out of the country for 2 weeks, but when I get back I'm going to try to fix the buckling spring approximation, cut one approximating one column of the Maltron / Kinesis Advantage, and also make a couple to reflect my own design ideas.

--- End quote ---

First, I want to say this was incredibly informative, jacobolus. Really, really nice work.

Second, did you ever finish the profile of the Maltron? I just got a left hand version yesterday (my right hand version comes today), and I was curious. I'm thinking of trying cylindrical keycaps rather than spherical, but only after I use it for awhile to get a baseline.

/Sorry about pulling up a thread from a couple of months ago, but it really is a nice visualization tool. Keycap manufacturers should hire him for demonstration items. :)

jacobolus:

--- Quote from: Snarfangel on Thu, 16 April 2015, 09:44:07 ---Second, did you ever finish the profile of the Maltron?
--- End quote ---
Nope. If you can take measurements of the switch positions and angles for one representative column, I'll add it to my todo list though. Might take a few weeks to get back over to a laser cutter.

Also, no worries about bumping the thread. I’m happy to take other questions if anyone has some...

Snarfangel:

--- Quote from: jacobolus on Thu, 16 April 2015, 20:05:12 ---
--- Quote from: Snarfangel on Thu, 16 April 2015, 09:44:07 ---Second, did you ever finish the profile of the Maltron?
--- End quote ---
Nope. If you can take measurements of the switch positions and angles for one representative column, I'll add it to my todo list though. Might take a few weeks to get back over to a laser cutter.

Also, no worries about bumping the thread. I'm happy to take other questions if anyone has some...

--- End quote ---

I can measure distances, but what would be the easiest way to measure angles? The left side looks like this:

Full link to thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71019.0

So it's kind of a sweeping curve, and the curves have different radii (the ones for the middle finger sweeps a wider arc). Plus, not all of the keys are the same orientation as neighboring keys (look at the top keys, like the square brackets), or even in line with the other keys in the arc (the Q and the ? for example, though on the older one the Q is less noticeable).

Which reminds me, I need to post pictures for the right side.

Of course, this is a bit more extreme than the two-handed Maltron, since it has to cram all the keys on one side.  :D

jacobolus:

--- Quote from: Snarfangel on Thu, 16 April 2015, 21:38:15 ---I can measure distances, but what would be the easiest way to measure angles? The left side looks like this:
--- End quote ---
Ah, yeah, I was talking about the two-handed Maltron. The one-handed one isn’t very interesting to me personally.

berserkfan:
This is going to prove a very valuable resource in the years to come. I hope the people managing the wikis will accept the entry. That said, I am not exactly sure if Jacobolus has gotten all the slopes right. Some of them look a bit steep.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version