Author Topic: [IC] IC Aura: A 60% Underglow case.  (Read 4003 times)

Offline OverKill

[IC] IC Aura: A 60% Underglow case.
« on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 14:44:30 »
Hi Everybody! Brandon at Input Club here and I wanted to share our new keyboard case!

The Input Club Aura Case:

During the design phase, I looked at many different designs. I got my inspiration for the Aura from the penthouse deck of the Ritz Carlton of Dallas. The way the lighting is set up the couches look like they are floating there and it looks very inviting and comfortable. I wanted that level of luxury and aesthetic in my keyboard.

The case is RGB underglow capable and sits at a permanent 5 degree angle. The units will be billet (one piece of aluminum). The case will be interchangeable for all 60% keyboards that have the same PCB hole locations as the Infinity keyboard https://input.club/devices/infinity-keyboard. The LED portion of the case is separate from the keyboard, meaning it will be compatible with existing 60% layouts. There will be no soldering required for this modification.

Price:

Unknown at this time. I will receives quotes from reliable manufacturers soon and update when I know. If you want to be informed of when the buy goes live please visit our website and sign up for the mailer!
https://input.club/aura

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2016, 14:47:12 by OverKill »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] IC Aura: A 60% Underglow case.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 14:50:04 »
Any pictures of the bottom/sides/back/without a PCB in?

Looks interesting but the only feature is the underglow. Visually, in the light it looks quite rough and not a nice color.

Offline Data

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 14:55:52 »
How good or bad this looks will depend heavily on the surface on which it's sitting and the ambient light levels.

Still, it's a neat idea.

Offline OverKill

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 14:58:38 »

Looks interesting but the only feature is the underglow. Visually, in the light it looks quite rough and not a nice color.

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the back/bottom. This is a prototype so there are modifications done to the bottom and insides of the case in order to make it functional. This case does require an external power source due to the high number of LED's required to get proper lighting. Can you clarify what you mean about the light looks rough? Maybe it is just the pixelation from the image you are seeing?

Offline OverKill

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:00:54 »
How good or bad this looks will depend heavily on the surface on which it's sitting and the ambient light levels.

Still, it's a neat idea.

Actually that was one of my major hurdles. No matter the surface the lighting should be pretty even overall due to the way I am reflecting the light on the bottom.

Offline OverKill

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:02:17 »

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the back/bottom. This is a prototype so there are modifications done to the bottom and insides of the case in order to make it functional. This case does require an external power source due to the high number of LED's required to get proper lighting. Can you clarify what you mean about the light looks rough? Maybe it is just the pixelation from the image you are seeing?

In addition to this being a prototype, it is a 3d printed prototype. There are a few flaws on the back (aka I broke something).

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:09:48 »
This case does require an external power source due to the high number of LED's required to get proper lighting.

Ouch. That might kill it for a few people.

Won't you be able to make use of the higher output of USB 3 or the USB charging modes to get enough power for the LED's?

Offline OverKill

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:11:23 »
This case does require an external power source due to the high number of LED's required to get proper lighting.

Won't you be able to make use of the higher output of USB 3 or the USB charging modes to get enough power for the LED's?

Unfortunately not everybody has a USB C output. You would still need to have the USB cable for the keyboard at that point too so you still have two cables.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 23:14:33 »

Unfortunately not everybody has a USB C output. You would still need to have the USB cable for the keyboard at that point too so you still have two cables.
Two USB cables is better than one external power and one USB cable tho.
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline OverKill

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 02:55:47 »

Two USB cables is better than one external power and one USB cable tho.

Yes it is unfortunate that USB does not have the power for proper underglow. There are 30 LED's under there to get the proper light output from the bottom.