Author Topic: Introducing the KS Mini  (Read 31087 times)

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
Re: Introducing the KS Mini
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 19:32:07 »
This looks really awesome hazelhuff ^^ I'm a fan of mini boards and I could definitely see this being my second one

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 19:59:41 »
But The Cheat is a TKL, and this is a 75% (IIRC) So it wouldn't be possible to have both winkey and 1.5 mods.
I guess you could just map a winkey to one of the keys furthest to the right, but I like it on the left (easier to use with win+E etc.)

What are you talking about?  Of course it is possible.  example.  It's called a 1x winkey.  Same as the cheat, same as my realforce, etc.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2012, 20:01:50 by metalliqaz »

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 07:07:46 »
In this case you canīt have 1.5 mods and winkey, even though it is 1x winkey. What we are choosing with 1.5 mods is this:

As you can see no winkey, unless you of course map it to the furthest right as I said before.

The kmac mini has a unique design that only has one modifier on the right. Personally I would consider it one of the best layouts since I only really use FN and ALT on the right, and FN can easily be placed elsewhere.

If we could just copy the kmac mini and and ad an F-row on top, it would solve the problem of the missing left winkey. 

that reminds me as i hadnt heard of that shorcut before is there a list of all those win+ shorcuts somwhere?
Longwheight made a nice collection on this website http://www.key-bored.net/keyboard-shortcuts/

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 07:11:27 »
Oh, I see.  Didn't know the spacebar was shifted so far over to the left like that!

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 16:32:39 »
It's a nice layout, I'll agree. But, if you want to look at it from a (MMO) gaming perspective, having the left Alt pushed nearly 1x left like that makes using it as a modifier more awkward than it already is. Sorry, I guess I'm just too use to having 3 - 1.25x mods myself (makes finding a suitable SSK/SFF board tough, lol).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 18:00:25 »
I never look at a keyboard from a MMO gaming perspective :p

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 18:17:34 »
Dag gone it, I want one!
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 01:36:07 »
Any progress on this since last update?

Offline gimpster

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 18:46:20 »
Bump. Any end-of-year update?

PS - now that I have my MX Mini put together, I would strongly echo the sentiment that the left Alt is too far left. The spacebar should be shortened, the left Alt moved to the right, and a space added for a 1x key that could be used as a Winkey, a Fn key, or anything else you wanted. The Ctrl and Alt keys on both sides could remain 1.5x keys or you could shorten one of them to 1.25x so that you'd be left with a 6.25x spacebar.
-Ryan

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 00:32:36 »
Sorry about this.  Wait for our other stuff.  We're super busy getting everything else ready.  We just got a few shipments of things we have to organize. 

Would you guys prefer to continue this or go with our new PCB 60% (aka Phantom 60%)?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 00:43:00 »
Sorry about this.  Wait for our other stuff.  We're super busy getting everything else ready.  We just got a few shipments of things we have to organize. 

Would you guys prefer to continue this or go with our new PCB 60% (aka Phantom 60%)?
You have got to be kidding me with the Phantom 60%, with the GH60 coming out and all. Why don't you publicize what your business plans are?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 00:56:43 »
I like the 75% layout very interesting. Very compact yet you dont really miss anything.

Will be following this project :)
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 02:29:12 »
so is this going to the oblivion? Personally I have no interest in a 60%

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 02:52:38 »
Its not in oblivion. I'm finding a solution for our plate at the moment. Sherry's on it.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 02:52:53 »

You have got to be kidding me with the Phantom 60%, with the GH60 coming out and all. Why don't you publicize what your business plans are?

Sometimes you just can't tell everyone everything. I've signed HUGE NDA telling me not to say anything to anyone about upcoming business plans, it's just how businesses have to work.

It would have been nice if sherry would have, but I also see how sometimes you can't disclose everything.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 03:10:12 »
I do not plan to mess with the GH60.  I plan to come with it after.  I'm getting quotes on plate for the Mini.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 03:11:20 »
im geting a warning for keyboard story from chrome

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 03:14:08 »
me too.  im tr

me too. trying to clean it up.

Offline rDuck

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 09:10:39 »
I certainly hope this keyboard wont be scrapped was very much looking forward to the winkey version of this, and a 60% keyboard isent of very much interrest to me, compared to a 75%

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 11:02:26 »

I've just cleaned the site. Google's reviewing it now. The warnings coming because there's links to the site ><.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 12:32:07 »

PS - now that I have my MX Mini put together, I would strongly echo the sentiment that the left Alt is too far left. The spacebar should be shortened, the left Alt moved to the right, and a space added for a 1x key that could be used as a Winkey, a Fn key, or anything else you wanted. The Ctrl and Alt keys on both sides could remain 1.5x keys or you could shorten one of them to 1.25x so that you'd be left with a 6.25x spacebar.

I like this keyboard a lot.  But I agree with gimpster on a couple of fronts.  One is the placement, the other is how many keys would not be included in a normal 87/104 keycap set.  So here is a very similar layout designed to address those issues.

10831-0
Keycaps in brown do not match keys in standard 87/104 sets.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 12:40:32 »
I like samwisekoi's layout.  and it is almost like MX Mini's layout.  the problem with sam's layout is, as he pointed out, some keys are of non-standard profile and width at their locations.  If custom keycaps are made for them, it would work.

For me personally, the right-most column would be from top to bottom:
Del
Home
PageUp
PageDown
End

This matches with a lot of laptop layouts out there :-)

Offline pasph

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 12:41:54 »

I like this keyboard a lot.  But I agree with gimpster on a couple of fronts.  One is the placement, the other is how many keys would not be included in a normal 87/104 keycap set.  So here is a very similar layout designed to address those issues.

(Attachment Link)
Keycaps in brown do not match keys in standard 87/104 sets.

- Ron | samwisekoi

+1
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 15:20:00 »
I like samwisekoi's layout.  and it is almost like MX Mini's layout.  the problem with sam's layout is, as he pointed out, some keys are of non-standard profile and width at their locations.  If custom keycaps are made for them, it would work.

For me personally, the right-most column would be from top to bottom:
Del
Home
PageUp
PageDown
End

This matches with a lot of laptop layouts out there :-)

The right-hand keys aren't shown in my preferred arrangement either -- they show how to minimize the number of "specials" needed.  For example, I never use the "print" key, but some do, so I dropped it up there.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if the extra 10 1x keys could be re-legendable or blank.  And re-mappable!

GH75 anyone?

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 December 2012, 16:00:19 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline rDuck

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 16:17:32 »
well the original blog http://blog.keyboardstory.com/introducing-the-ks-mini/ post says that the keyboard will be fully programable so that should fix any mapping needs, also the winkey layout is almost exactly whats being proposed except with a 1.25 ctrl, instead of alt key

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 16:32:42 »
well the original blog http://blog.keyboardstory.com/introducing-the-ks-mini/ post says that the keyboard will be fully programable so that should fix any mapping needs, also the winkey layout is almost exactly whats being proposed except with a 1.25 ctrl, instead of alt key

Well, rats.  I hadn't read that until now.  I use Ctrl_R way more than Alt_R anyhow, so that layout is a-okay!

Keyboardstory, come take my money!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 22:13:16 »

Well, rats.  I hadn't read that until now.  I use Ctrl_R way more than Alt_R anyhow, so that layout is a-okay!

Keyboardstory, come take my money!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Okay, I'll take your money soon.  I was working on doing a stainless steel plate, but the company FINALLY responded today. 

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 19:23:39 »
Don't you hate it when your customers are clamoring for faster times, but you're stuck on waiting for another company to quit dragging their feet and give you a quote? That happens to me all the time, and I hate it 'cause after doing everything in my power to make things quick, I end up being slow because of someone else.

Still, good to hear. It looks like we are one step closer to production.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 19:45:10 »
Don't you hate it when your customers are clamoring for faster times, but you're stuck on waiting for another company to quit dragging their feet and give you a quote? That happens to me all the time, and I hate it 'cause after doing everything in my power to make things quick, I end up being slow because of someone else.

Still, good to hear. It looks like we are one step closer to production.

There is a lot of things dragging us down right now.  Not just this one, but it is our fault.

Offline gimpster

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 22:49:17 »
Glad to hear this is still moving forward. My wallet waits with bated breath. :)
-Ryan

Offline rDuck

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 15:35:47 »
now that originativeco.com is up again, any updates on the KS Mini? :D

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 19:40:25 »
Yeah, boost is doing the plates.  We are almost on our way there now.

Offline calavera

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 16:50:02 »
So there will be no other case options available, correct?

Offline gimpster

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 15:40:44 »
Is there any update on this? I've been off the board for like a month and was hoping to have some new update...
-Ryan

Offline gimpster

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:24:30 »
*crickets*

Srsly? Is this just dead, or what?
-Ryan

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:26:10 »
This is really dead. Hazelhuff has basically disappeared from a forum standpoint.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:26:13 »
You may find a similar formfactor available in the GH75 project if that ever hits GB phase.  Or is it GH60++?  Something like that.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 07:09:06 »
You may find a similar formfactor available in the GH75 project if that ever hits GB phase.  Or is it GH60++?  Something like that.

GH60++ includes the GH65 (GH60 + one column) and GH75 (GH65 + one row).  You can see the GH75 in my sig and in several pictures from the packing party and in various threads.

The GH75 we hope to make with a modular PCB, so the user can remove the function key row to make a GH65.  Regardless, we are only waiting for the GH60 project to stop cycling so we can loop a PCB designer into the team and go to production.

Plates, cases, and firmware are designed and/or available. Retro DSA keycaps fit 100% of the keyboard.  We just need a PCB to launch the GB.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline JPG

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 07:15:24 »

GH60++ includes the GH65 (GH60 + one column) and GH75 (GH65 + one row).  You can see the GH75 in my sig and in several pictures from the packing party and in various threads.

The GH75 we hope to make with a modular PCB, so the user can remove the function key row to make a GH65.  Regardless, we are only waiting for the GH60 project to stop cycling so we can loop a PCB designer into the team and go to production.

Plates, cases, and firmware are designed and/or available. Retro DSA keycaps fit 100% of the keyboard.  We just need a PCB to launch the GB.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Will the GH60++ fit with any keycap (I am pretty sure that it would, but since you insist on DSA maybe it is specifically oriented for this specific profile). Also, will it be ready for full backlit or not?

These features are not like 100% essentials, but since the design is oriented for less key placement options (I like the way they are placed anyway) and the backlit was not an option on the GH60, it would be nice to have it on this project.   :cool:

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 07:29:56 »
It would be wonderful if I could get ahold of Hazel. Hmm...
* SmallFry checks his Steam.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 07:33:57 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Will the GH60++ fit with any keycap (I am pretty sure that it would, but since you insist on DSA maybe it is specifically oriented for this specific profile). Also, will it be ready for full backlit or not?

These features are not like 100% essentials, but since the design is oriented for less key placement options (I like the way they are placed anyway) and the backlit was not an option on the GH60, it would be nice to have it on this project.   :cool:

This isn't a GH75 thread, but since you asked...

1) Any MX keycaps will fit.  In fact, I designed the plate so you could buy a stock set and fit everything except a few 1x keycaps.

GH75 prototype v.2

2) I'm not much into lit keyboards myself, but that becomes a question for the PCB design more than anything else.  If nothing else, I think it should have the lighting capabilities of the Poker.  (Some LEDs stock, plus all positions drilled for LED installation.)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline JPG

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 07:38:35 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

This isn't a GH75 thread, but since you asked...

1) Any MX keycaps will fit.  In fact, I designed the plate so you could buy a stock set and fit everything except a few 1x keycaps.

Show Image

GH75 prototype v.2

2) I'm not much into lit keyboards myself, but that becomes a question for the PCB design more than anything else.  If nothing else, I think it should have the lighting capabilities of the Poker.  (Some LEDs stock, plus all positions drilled for LED installation.)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Very nice, thx for the answer!

Offline rDuck

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 09:24:20 »
So the KS mini is dead? :(

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 09:31:38 »
It seems that way, yes. Be sure to check out what Samwisekoi has coming down the pipes as his keyboards look very promising.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 16:43:11 »
It seems that way, yes. Be sure to check out what Samwisekoi has coming down the pipes as his keyboards look very promising.

In fact I took the weekend off from Retro DSA to work on a PCB for the GH75.  I am including the cut-line for buildng it with or without the top function-key row.  (GH75 with or GH65 without.)  Arrow keys, control block, and full programmability in both configurations.

I already did a plate and a caseless plate.  It will fit into a Race/Pure case as well, and Matt3o wrote firmware that I am using on the hard-wired prototype.

I am going to try and make this an attractive PCB, so the result would be worthy of a KMAC-style build. And then I am considering a small production run.

Anyhow, yes, stay tuned.  I will also post an update in my own thread. ;)

- Ron I samwisekoi

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:18:40 »
Nice layout.  I want to get some extra keys for this set.  Are those blank keys just for fun?  Anything particular about those blank keys?

Would there be a possibility for 1.5x Control and Alt?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 22:04:17 »
Nice layout.  I want to get some extra keys for this set.  Are those blank keys just for fun?  Anything particular about those blank keys?

Would there be a possibility for 1.5x Control and Alt?

I don't think I can fit 1.50 mods on the right.  They are currently ALT, FN, CTRL on my boards.  Up on top I have PrtScr, INS, DEL in the blank positions.

Se the new GH75 thread here:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43450.msg888865#msg888865

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline gimpster

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 12:26:33 »
Excellent! Thanks for the link to the GH75 info, it's my ideal keyboard. I love my MX Mini but since I'm on a Mac all the time the lack of a Ctrl, Alt, Super layout on the bottom row really cramps my style.
-Ryan