Author Topic: Rama works switch puller  (Read 4801 times)

Offline zxnlee00

Rama works switch puller
« on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:59:55 »
Has anyone used this switch puller before? How is it?
https://ramaworks.store/products/switchpuller-xo

Offline jamster

Re: Rama works switch puller
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 02:36:12 »
Not used that one, but there really isn't much to switch pullers, as long as the bent bits of metal on the end fit on the switch latches. The free one I currently have is just plain steel instead of powdercoated, and works 100% fine. Takes maybe two seconds to pull out a switch.

On the other hand, keycap puller design matters. The free plastic ones with two legs kind of suck. The ones that resemble an egg beater, with two elongated metal tines, are vastly superior.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2020, 02:38:26 by jamster »

Offline Pyk_

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 03:11:01 »
Not used that one, but there really isn't much to switch pullers, as long as the bent bits of metal on the end fit on the switch latches. The free one I currently have is just plain steel instead of powdercoated, and works 100% fine. Takes maybe two seconds to pull out a switch.

On the other hand, keycap puller design matters. The free plastic ones with two legs kind of suck. The ones that resemble an egg beater, with two elongated metal tines, are vastly superior.
I mean, the free one I have is literally just a bent strip of metal. And, while it does work, it is very bendy and is not very pleasant to use. But generally you’re probably right. There isn’t much to switch pullers as long as their grabber geometry is correct and they actually fit around the switch they will work. A bit of rigidity is a bonus.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 03:20:08 »
I've got one and I'll say it's far more comfortable to use than one of the smaller bent metal ones. It's nowhere near as comfortable as this random tool I found in a box at work though. I don't know what its true purpose is, but it's a damn good switch puller. It's squishy on the sides, so is far less taxing on your fingers if you're pulling an entire board worth of switches.

EDIT: I just found out what it is, haha, should have thought to search for it online before - it is a... drumroll.. chip extractor. Fitting I guess.

So my official advice for the most comfortable switch puller? A chip extractor (you may also find it under 'circuit board puller') which will be much cheaper than the admittedly very attractive Ramaworks one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2020, 03:25:23 by -Jerry- »
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Pyk_

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 03:27:31 »
EDIT: I just found out what it is, haha, should have thought to search for it online before - it is a... drumroll.. chip extractor. Fitting I guess.
Damn that’s good to know, I had assumed the geometry was different, but it makes sense that they would design switches to work with these. I probably even have one!

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 03:30:40 »
Damn that’s good to know, I had assumed the geometry was different, but it makes sense that they would design switches to work with these. I probably even have one!

I've no idea if it's intentional or not, though I would suspect that it's just happy happenstance. The 'fingers' are actually a tiny bit smaller than the Rama one, but it's near as makes no difference and it works just as well.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 03:38:19 »
I've also used a chip puller, which is kicking around in my toolbox somewhere. My freebie switch puller is about the same in comfort, probably because it has more of an inherent bend in it, I don't need to push on it much to get it closed around a switch.

Slight threadjack, but still related:

What are you guys doing for switch openers? I used to use two pairs of very fine bent tweezers, which worked fine with Cherry MX. I am finding them much less effective on Outemu switches though. Are the various dedicated openers more effective than tweezers?

Offline zxnlee00

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:33:52 »
I've got one and I'll say it's far more comfortable to use than one of the smaller bent metal ones. It's nowhere near as comfortable as this random tool I found in a box at work though. I don't know what its true purpose is, but it's a damn good switch puller. It's squishy on the sides, so is far less taxing on your fingers if you're pulling an entire board worth of switches.

Show Image

So my official advice for the most comfortable switch puller? A chip extractor (you may also find it under 'circuit board puller') which will be much cheaper than the admittedly very attractive Ramaworks one.

I have that first one, I find it really hard to use  :(

Offline zxnlee00

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:35:00 »
I've also used a chip puller, which is kicking around in my toolbox somewhere. My freebie switch puller is about the same in comfort, probably because it has more of an inherent bend in it, I don't need to push on it much to get it closed around a switch.

Slight threadjack, but still related:

What are you guys doing for switch openers? I used to use two pairs of very fine bent tweezers, which worked fine with Cherry MX. I am finding them much less effective on Outemu switches though. Are the various dedicated openers more effective than tweezers?

Show Image

I don't have a switch opener or tweezers like yours. The outemu switches take me really long to open xD

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:39:47 »

Show Image

I have that first one, I find it really hard to use  :(

Yes, yes it really is. If they were just an inch or so longer they'd be comfortable enough to use, but since they're so short you have to put too much pressure on your fingers to grab the switch.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 21:25:51 »
That's the switch puller that came with my U80-A. It feels a little flimsy in the hand, but I can't complain about it. It has worked every time I've pulled a switch. I'm not sure what else to say about it though.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.