Author Topic: Need help figuring out how to go about a project  (Read 1116 times)

Offline somedudenamedira

Need help figuring out how to go about a project
« on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 15:13:05 »
Not sure if this is the right spot, but I'm trying to figure out a way to make a Destiny 2 themed keyboard for my friend's birthday. He said it just has to be hive themed, and doesn't care much about everything else. This is also a semi-budget build, and noob friendly (this will be my second keeb, and I'm so and so on building them, like I only lubed my stab wires on the one I'm using lol) but all help and recs are welcome.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Need help figuring out how to go about a project
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 18:57:38 »
Seems like your friend only gave you theme recommendations.

To me "hive themed" means green and black, but maybe you could ask him if he has anything more specific in mind. Generally when folks commission a build from me (or ask for build advice), I ask the same questions.

• What's you exact budget. How much are you willing to spend. "semi-budget" could mean so many different things for different people
  • How often do you use a numpad? Arrow keys? Nav cluster? F row?
  • What colors do you like?
  • Do you prefer linear or tactile switches? Light spring or heavy spring?
  • Do you want any special features? Rotary encoder, bluetooth, etc?
  • How long are you willing to wait?

And a question for you as the builder: are you OK soldering? From your experience, it sounds like maybe you want something hot-swappable

Answer those questions and we can really help narrow down the built. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of "GMMK Pro, Boba U4Ts, GMK Terror Below" style answers

Keyboards can be pretty personal pieces of you battle/work station. Getting those little details right can change the typing experience from "this is a tool" to "this is _my_ tool"
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 00:56:41 »

To me "hive themed" means green and black, but maybe you could ask him if he has anything more specific in mind. Generally when folks commission a build from me (or ask for build advice), I ask the same questions.

• What's you exact budget. How much are you willing to spend. "semi-budget" could mean so many different things for different people

And a question for you as the builder: are you OK soldering? From your experience, it sounds like maybe you want something hot-swappable

Answer those questions and we can really help narrow down the built. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of "GMMK Pro, Boba U4Ts, GMK Terror Below" style answers

Keyboards can be pretty personal pieces of you battle/work station. Getting those little details right can change the typing experience from "this is a tool" to "this is _my_ tool"

I second all of this. Although I didn't realize how popular Boba U4Ts were for suggested custom builds. Lol.

Offline somedudenamedira

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 18:23:11 »

I'll ask him more specifics, last time i asked he just said he wants it to feel hivey and if possible to get soem hive rune caps. For me, I'm still not comfortable with soldering, so it's probably gonna be a hotswap until i get my hands on a cheap pcb and switches to practice with. for colors he said he wants that greens, browns, and "sickly reds"