Author Topic: [GB] Tai Hao (ANSI + Add-On Pack) Keyset Group Buy [ALL SHIPPED >> REFUND ISSUE]  (Read 1186471 times)

Offline GhostOfDouchebag

Re: [GB] Tai Hao (ANSI + Add-On Pack) Keyset Group Buy [SHIPPING-RESUME]
« Reply #1650 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 10:55:32 »
Incredible.....

"and therefore i have chosen to ignore it and concentrate on what I think is more important to me right now."

"more important to me right now"

Hoooollyyyy **** what a douche
Well I hope someone gets banned, IP banned that is.
?
Am I wrong?... that was the douchiest and most self-centered thing I have ever read... He basically said we werent worth the 2 minutes to post an update because he has other things to do that are more important. This is despite the fact that this community is trusting him with thousands of dollars.

I've literally never seen a bigger douchebag comment in my life.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #1651 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 10:59:12 »
Incredible.....

"and therefore i have chosen to ignore it and concentrate on what I think is more important to me right now."

?
Am I wrong?... that was the douchiest and most self-centered thing I have ever read... He basically said we werent worth the 2 minutes to post an update because he has other things to do that are more important. This is despite the fact that this community is trusting him with thousands of dollars.

No its the fact you just made this account to stir up trouble, also by the fact you just made the account I'm going to take a guess you have another real account you didn't want getting flamed, so I just hope you get IP banned to take the other account with it, what harry did was wrong but your being a ass about it, and inflaming the situation coming into this groupbuy everyone knew he has school work, and can and is rightly so to put that ahead of his groupbuy also there has been a lot of trouble in HK recently, at least he has come back with the intention to set things right.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Jixr

« Reply #1652 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:11:25 »
nah, harry is shady.
Intentionally not posting after broken promise after broken promise each month of shipping.

Now, he basically bailed, and does not want to ship the items that we paid for. He says that he will ship by the end of the month. We have all heard this before, and at best a hand full of sets have been shipped each time he says. You're a fool if you are taking his word again here.

Harry is a intentionally manipulative and dishonest person. He was deliberately absent and was hoping that we would all forget about this and he could silently disappear without any repercussions.

His offer to attempt to resell our keycaps is quite insulting as well, we've all already made the mistake of trusting him with our money once, and i'd rather just have the items that I've paid for that has been in his hands for 6 months and resell them myself.

Again, this is why I wish GH would do more as far as screening potential GB'ers, have some sort of buyer/seller rating system put into place, and protect the community better.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:21:18 by Jixr »

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #1653 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:17:05 »
nah, harry is shady.
Intentionally not posting after broken promise after broken promise each month of shipping.

Now, he basically bailed, and does not want to ship the items that we paid for.

So now we either wait for him to sell our items to someone else and think he will refund us our money ( lol ) or we all now have to pay additional shipping cost to get our items that he has had in hand for the past 6 months.

Harry is a intentionally manipulative and dishonest person. He was deliberately absent and was hoping that we would all forget about this and he could silently disappear without any repercussions.
I don't honestly think he is, again for full disclosure I already have my sets as I was the last to get them, but just for the fact he came back I think we should have at least the decency to see how it pans out also he has not said you will have to pay any extra yet as it was others saying a proxy might help.

And if I remember correctly Jixr you have already had your set ship out once which as of no was the only one to go missing so if anything you have no ground to call anyone shady, anyway I'm out now just didn't want people trolling and pushing him away when he actually wants to set things right, as how people are acting now if it was me I would walk away since your all being rather ****ish about things anyway I'll leave this then.

Fire out
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Jixr

« Reply #1654 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:32:42 »
What are you talking about?

I've not gotten any items i've ordered from Harry.
( and that shipment you are referring to was actually from a completely different seller, at the time I assumed it was harry since his shipping/tracking has been super flaky and it was around the time when he said our items were being shipped, which you would have known if you kept up with the thread ) Your accusations of trolling and be being dishonest are completely false and based on no fact.

And You and I have different standards. If I pay you money, I expect you to provide your services in a reasonable amount of time and in reasonably as described.

He has had all our items since early December, has lied to all of us constantly, intentionally being absent from GH, and ignoring most every email/pm sent to him. Apology and guilt does not mean he isn't at fault.
He flat out said he had been ignoring us. He is not an honest seller, and is not an honest person.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:35:18 by Jixr »

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #1655 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:37:03 »
nah, harry is shady.

Now, he basically bailed, and does not want to ship the items that we paid for. He says that he will ship by the end of the month. We have all heard this before, and at best a hand full of sets have been shipped each time he says. You're a fool if you are taking his word again here.

His offer to attempt to resell our keycaps is quite insulting as well, we've all already made the mistake of trusting him with our money once, and i'd rather just have the items that I've paid for that has been in his hands for 6 months and resell them myself.

Again, this is why I wish GH would do more as far as screening potential GB'ers, have some sort of buyer/seller rating system put into place, and protect the community better.

Hi jixr

your set will be sent this week independently along with a face.u replica pcb with steel plate as gift as mentioned before.

By the way, the reason behind having someone to pick up your keycap is not trying to resell your caps, but to let someone to pay you back the money you have given initially.
Its all because i dont have the money to buy that keycap of yours and thats the only way i can pay you guys back. (regarding people said that they dont need it anymore)
I'm not a businessman and receive only overhead cost for the GB to keep keycaps at the cheapest possible price at the beginning.
If you would like to have your keycaps you can simply ignore the google form, its just an alternative.

you are right and i got nothing to say or to argue about the part that i ate my word

not sure what you want from me by attacking me like so, but shipping your stuff first is all i can do now

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:50:48 by GhostofHarry »

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #1656 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:54:51 »
I would be willing to proxy orders for the US. 

Full disclosure, I'm already committed to proxying orders for photek's GMK group buy, which may cause delays if they overlap.  The upshot is that I already have a preliminary system in place for proxying orders (have also proxied a smaller spring GB from sprit), and have pricing calculated for various amounts of sets in flat rate boxes.  If we do a proxy shipping method, is there enough money in the fund to cover shipping costs?  Or would we have to ask for additional payment?

hi

I am not sure right now as this would require the total shipment cost to you, and the rate for you to ship the packages out

If its possible to obtain rates of yours to them before you send it out, I should be able to collect additional payment (if any) and transfer it you in one time.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #1657 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:10:51 »

How would that have even helped here? Isn't this Harry's first group buy? So how could a rating system have helped? And what else could have possibly been done before this group buy to "protect the community"? This isn't ebay or some other commercial site that imposes protection standards on its sellers. Those sites operate for profit. This one does not. If you want those kinds of protections, then by all means go through a commercial retailer. Or a group buy organizing site like Massdrop.  Those sites are for profit and so are incentivized to keep the customers happy. GH is not a commercial site. I just don't see how some kind of GB screening system would work if it's not someone's "job" to oversee it. Are we expecting the all volunteer admins here to oversee this screening system? GH is simply the communication medium here. GH is not the government or your mother or your big brother. It says clearly in the GB section that you participate in group buys at your own risk. My point is that if you want buyer protections, you generally have to pay for them. Thus group buy prices are generally lower than retail.

I'm not trying to belittle what happened here. You didn't get what you paid for and that sucks. But you keep talking about some kind of "system" to prevent this from happening, and I don't think such a system would work for GH. It's a reactionary measure that won't actually solve anything. Just like when anything bad happens and people say "They should pass a law" as if that's the magic answer to all problems. If it were, there would be no crime since crime is illegal. If someone wants to run with your money after you give it to them, then they will.

Full disclosure: Did I order caps in this buy? Yes. Did I receive mine? Yes, typing on them now. Would I be pissed if I was in your place? Yes.

Edit: I am still waiting on my GH60s, so I do understand the frustration in general.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:12:42 by whiskytango »
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1658 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:18:37 »
Incredible.....

?

No its the fact you just made this account to stir up trouble, also by the fact you just made the account I'm going to take a guess you have another real account you didn't want getting flamed, so I just hope you get IP banned to take the other account with it, what harry did was wrong but your being a ass about it, and inflaming the situation coming into this groupbuy everyone knew he has school work, and can and is rightly so to put that ahead of his groupbuy also there has been a lot of trouble in HK recently, at least he has come back with the intention to set things right.

Yep, it's the same sad troll who keeps coming back with new usernames :)  Please feel free to ignore him.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Jixr

« Reply #1659 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:34:26 »
whiskytango .....
obviously nothing is perfect, but I believe there are a few things that could be done to help prevent some of these situations, on both buyer/seller sides of things. You can read all about if you want in the 'suggestions' page as I've been very vocal about some ideas on there.
There are many other online communities that run GB's that have systems in place which are more effective than what we have.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:37:08 by Jixr »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1660 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:41:37 »
whiskytango .....
obviously nothing is perfect, but I believe there are a few things that could be done to help prevent some of these situations, on both buyer/seller sides of things. You can read all about if you want in the 'suggestions' page as I've been very vocal about some ideas on there.
There are many other online communities that run GB's that have systems in place which are more effective than what we have.

I think you're still forgetting that we have implemented some form of pre-screening, but that happened after this buy began, so obviously there is nothing to be done here from our end.  You have indeed been very vocal about this in the past, which is great.  That feedback is valuable.  But please don't use this group buy as an example relating to our current system, because it is not applicable.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #1661 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 13:23:15 »
whiskytango .....

Are you talking about this thread? I was hoping for some specific examples of systems used by other sites if you have them.

I think a feedback system would be great if it was integrated into the site. I used to use heatware but it was such a pain to follow up with people to get them to use it. I'm on ar15.com also, and they have implemented a great feedback system which is displayed under everyone's avatar. However, that site also has paid memberships and people on staff. When you complete a transaction you go to the classifieds thread and click a leave feedback button. I like such a system, just not sure if such a thing is feasible here. And still not convinced it would prevent this specific situation. Pretty sure Harry had a good rep before this lapse. Pretty sure WFD, TheProfosist, and bavman had decent rep too, for some other examples of GBs gone bad.

@Hoff, is there a link to any information on whatever pre-screening is done now? Or are you talking about group buys requiring thread approval?
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 13:25:12 by whiskytango »
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1662 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 13:38:36 »
@Hoff, is there a link to any information on whatever pre-screening is done now? Or are you talking about group buys requiring thread approval?

There's no link to a formal announcement.  Basically we look at tenure and past experience with similar projects, as well as how the runner has structured/organized the buy.  For example, if you're an artisan and have consistently shipped products on time without issue, that would likely be approved easily.  It obviously gets a lot more difficult with newer members, which is where discretion is used more.  We do enforce minimum post count / member times now, which we didn't do in the past, to prevent people from having literally zero history on the site (has posed issues in the past, with the LED cover GB for example).  And yes, the thread approval is another measure, which helps us check that the organizer has all their "ducks in a row", so to speak, before approving, which is intended to ensure that they're more organized.  We also are more stringent about disallowing people to begin more GBs than they can handle at once, and we are more active in stepping in to prevent "scope creep" and buys becoming larger than can be reasonably handled. 

Essentially, it's less free-range and more structured than in the past, because of some recurring issues we had pop up.  It is not a guarantee, and caveat emptor still applies.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #1663 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 13:48:26 »

Full disclosure, I'm already committed to proxying orders for photek's GMK group buy, which may cause delays if they overlap.  The upshot is that I already have a preliminary system in place for proxying orders (have also proxied a smaller spring GB from sprit), and have pricing calculated for various amounts of sets in flat rate boxes.  If we do a proxy shipping method, is there enough money in the fund to cover shipping costs?  Or would we have to ask for additional payment?

hi

I am not sure right now as this would require the total shipment cost to you, and the rate for you to ship the packages out

If its possible to obtain rates of yours to them before you send it out, I should be able to collect additional payment (if any) and transfer it you in one time.

Harry and Hoffman

Just as a security measure I think it is better not to collect any more money at this stage. It is unwise to throw good money after bad. Don't take this personally Harry, you know I have been very supportive of you throughout, but you also know I judge people on their actions. It would be better if Harry did not have to handle more money from now.

I mentioned this in pm to Harry earlier and he hasn't replied. I am willing to proxy for Singapore. Since shipping everything in a big box is going to be much cheaper than shipping out lots of packages separately, I told Harry he should calculate the money saved and send it to the proxy.

After that how the proxy gets the goods to the locals is a matter to be decided locally. At worst the local proxy will have to collect a bit more money. But the difference is not much in most cases because most domestic postage cheap enough.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1664 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 13:51:09 »

hi

Harry and Hoffman

Just as a security measure I think it is better not to collect any more money at this stage. It is unwise to throw good money after bad. Don't take this personally Harry, you know I have been very supportive of you throughout, but you also know I judge people on their actions. It would be better if Harry did not have to handle more money from now.

I mentioned this in pm to Harry earlier and he hasn't replied. I am willing to proxy for Singapore. Since shipping everything in a big box is going to be much cheaper than shipping out lots of packages separately, I told Harry he should calculate the money saved and send it to the proxy.

After that how the proxy gets the goods to the locals is a matter to be decided locally. At worst the local proxy will have to collect a bit more money. But the difference is not much in most cases because most domestic postage cheap enough.

I think this method would work here, I agree.  Have Harry ship the bulk packages to the proxies, and send the remaining shipping funds.  The proxies can calculate the shipping costs needed for local shipping, and collect accordingly.  The alternative would be to have Harry collect that money and simply funnel it to the proxy, which just adds another person to the mix.

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #1665 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 16:48:32 »
I think this method would work here, I agree.  Have Harry ship the bulk packages to the proxies, and send the remaining shipping funds.  The proxies can calculate the shipping costs needed for local shipping, and collect accordingly.  The alternative would be to have Harry collect that money and simply funnel it to the proxy, which just adds another person to the mix.
it will also be cheaper to have the proxy collect, as you're not taxing a pp fee on top of another pp fee.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #1666 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 16:59:19 »
I just want to say that I'm happy that we got an update. Although the circumstances are realy bad as of right now, I hope we will get this thing going again. I guess Harry already thought about it, but communication is key when facing problems of any sorts. In fact communication is key in all kinds of facets of life. I'm glad the GB is somewhat moving again.

This proxy idea sounds interesting. I don't know how to put this, but in regard as how unfortunate the GB went I would want a reliable proxy handling the shipping. I think this is understandable as many are frustrated but happy it gets going again.
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1667 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 17:08:06 »
I'd like to say well done Harry for admitting that this GB turned out to be too big to handle.  And for being open and receptive to suggestions to transfer the shipping tasks somewhere else.

Most people really do not know what is involved in a GB - all the international packaging and shipping, forms to fill out, personal time sorting (if required), packaging, travelling to/from post office, resolving problems, communicating progress, changes of address, money transfers - the list goes on.

This was a fairly large GB, and Harry ended up with a lot of personal changes which he could not necessarily have foreseen.  I can understand that his time ran out, and he had to focus on real life.

But he has communicated this, and now we are moving towards a new solution :)

I'd offer to proxy for Australia, but I'm a bit short on time at the moment too :))

Edit 1: I just added them up - nearly 1000 sets :eek:

Edit 2: 321 orders in all, 180 still to be shipped :eek:
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 17:13:28 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #1668 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 17:17:43 »

Like we'd pay him MORE money?  Might as well set it on fire.  HE made a commitment, HE needs to honor it.  If it costs more money, HE needs to pay for it.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1669 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 17:25:45 »

Like we'd pay him MORE money?  Might as well set it on fire.  HE made a commitment, HE needs to honor it.  If it costs more money, HE needs to pay for it.

Well okay.  I don't disagree with you on principle, but practically speaking that gives Harry very little incentive to actually go through with this.  I'm not sure how much money was collected vs how much will be needed, it could be very little or it could be thousands.  And yes, he should make this right without "incentive", but we need to be realistic here. 

I'll let Harry comment further on how he'd like to handle this though, I'm just speculating at this point.

As for your comment about not paying him more money, I do agree with that.  That's why I think it would be best to send it straight to the proxies.

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #1670 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 18:45:04 »
The only thing I fear is the u calculated cost that might appear which multiplied the shipping cost to a level that I can't even handle
I can't promise that no one would have to pay additional fee due to this problem

I think the best way is to have people decide about this themselves
And split the shipment of a country into shipping by proxy/ by me

And by the mean time I will try to find a helping hand and see if it's possible for me to pay someone and help me ship the rest of them out

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #1671 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 21:28:30 »
There was a HK GHer who offerred to help a while back. I can't remember his name now though.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Bencze

« Reply #1672 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 09:29:36 »
I believe jamster offered to help with some post office runs some months back.

So do we have an EU proxy? Btw how many EU sets / orders are there? (wondering how much work it would be).
Also for EU, if many sets are shipped together, afaik VAT and some customs will need to be paid (this is usually free for low $$ orders). So proxying would be a bit more complicated because of this reason - depends how many sets and orders are there...
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline genkidama

« Reply #1673 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 14:12:55 »
If I remember correctly it also depends on much it weighs and how much the sets in a bulk package would be worth (either a receipt should be there to clarify the worth or the customs people will estimate the worth) for more fees that need to be paid. I think there is a limit for orders coming in the EU where they'll be checked at customs if they decide this limit value could be exceeded.
From my experience almost everything I ordered that was shipped from China was checked and in 70% of the cases needed to be picked up by myself at the customs office near my hometown. I don't know if this would make things more complicated for a EU proxy.
By no means I want to scare this proxy thought, I just want to share for further analysis.

edit: All in all what I meant is that for a EU proxy we need more information than say other countries. I'm just not that familiar with all that VAT, custom fees and stuff.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2015, 14:24:02 by genkidama »
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #1674 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 14:33:50 »
Good to see you're back Harry ;) I would still like my caps if that is possible rather than the selling-on option?

@all unfortunately I can't offer EU proxy as I am travelling every so often with work.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1675 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 15:19:21 »
A lot of potential proxies are probably wondering how many seta there are for their country.

Harry: would it be possible for you to give us an approximate figure for how many sets there are for each country please?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nogamesplayed

« Reply #1676 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 23:32:01 »
I'm willing to proxy for Australia, but for other Aussies please note this will add a minimum of like $8 for the order (IIRC domestic postage is ~$6.75 + ~$1.25 for the box). It might be cheaper to get Singapore to proxy for Australia :/
--------->[WTB] Radeon HD 7950 or better<---------

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1677 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 23:34:30 »
I'm willing to proxy for Australia, but for other Aussies please note this will add a minimum of like $8 for the order (IIRC domestic postage is ~$6.75 + ~$1.25 for the box). It might be cheaper to get Singapore to proxy for Australia :/

I'm fine with that :)

Offline irendulic

« Reply #1678 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 05:23:09 »
I believe jamster offered to help with some post office runs some months back.

So do we have an EU proxy? Btw how many EU sets / orders are there? (wondering how much work it would be).
Also for EU, if many sets are shipped together, afaik VAT and some customs will need to be paid (this is usually free for low $$ orders). So proxying would be a bit more complicated because of this reason - depends how many sets and orders are there...

It would definitely lead to VAT charges, probably regardless of the proxy country, while single packages will most likely pass the customs without problems (around 25$ is the limit under which they don't charge taxes, but even for slightly more expensive stuff, especially like keycaps which they don't know the price for, it usually passes without taxes).
So proxying in the EU will definitely lead to significant price increase with taxes+box+shippint. (also shipping in the EU is not really cheap).
I'm against such option, even if it means I'll need to wait longer.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1679 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 05:28:51 »
So there's a proxy offer for Australia (not that that would be many orders, probably) and the US (thanks Hoff! - that would probably be a lot of orders).

I wonder if that would reduce the load enough for Harry to be able to ship out the rest himself?

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #1680 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 05:57:00 »
So there's a proxy offer for Australia (not that that would be many orders, probably) and the US (thanks Hoff! - that would probably be a lot of orders).

I wonder if that would reduce the load enough for Harry to be able to ship out the rest himself?

Yeh, hopefully this (mainly USA being taken off of his hands) will reduce it enough for Harry to ship the rest. If Jamster can still help out with post office runs then we might be onto a winner! EU proxy might be quite expensive as explained above.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #1681 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 06:08:21 »
Nothing is cheap in Europe, it seems.

But if we all cooperate, we can reduce Harry's workload by 70% and that should make the whole thing go smoothly.

Offline macmakkara

« Reply #1682 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 07:57:10 »
Yep nothing is cheap in eu. For example finland where i live. Keycaps has 0% custom fee but i have to pay 24% VAT of cost of caps + shipping at customs. Then for example shipping caps in bublemailer from finland to germany would be around 8usd. But if weight and size of package goes up to like 1kg it coast 20€ to ship to germany. I believe that german has lowest Vat of all eu and cheapest shipping cost.

I would like to offer my help here. But VAT is really high in fin And im not really known on this side and don't have time. Im more active on other communities.

Offline sonic_the_hedgehog

• That's a fast hedgehog...
« Reply #1683 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 08:01:35 »
I'd offer to proxy for Australia, but I'm a bit short on time at the moment too :))

Edit 1: I just added them up - nearly 1000 sets :eek:

Edit 2: 321 orders in all, 180 still to be shipped :eek:

I suggested ages ago that we should get proxies for each country... nobody seemed to notice  :))

Is it 180 still to be shipped or 180 in Australia?

Whereabouts are you located? I don't know how many sets there are for Australia but I'm in Melbourne and I'd be happy to help out  :thumb:

If we could rope rowdy in as well we could smash it out in a day I'm sure  :))

At the moment, until the end of June, it's $10 to post a parcel up to 1kg anywhere in Australia. Otherwise it's $8.25 for a 500g satchel or $13.40 for a 3kg satchel.

It's slightly cheaper if you're sending a regular parcel within the same state (~$7.10) but it can drastically increase if you have to send to NT or WA. At least with the satchels it's a flat rate.

I don't really care if I have to pay another lot of domestic shipping, as long as the shipping costs collected by Harry will be enough to cover him sending the big boxes out to the proxies.

But you're right in thinking it would be cheaper to ship from HK / Singapore to Aus than domestically, our postage rates can't compete.

EDIT: ...actually, depending how many AU orders there are, how many of them paid for tracking, how much $ Harry collected from AU orders for shipping and how much it costs to send the large box to the proxy, there might be enough $ left over to send to the proxy to reduce what we have to "top up" to like $3-$4 each :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 08:06:01 by sonic_the_hedgehog »
IBM Model M | Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns) | Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 (Reds) | Old School AT Mechs | Old School XT Mech | Old School Japanese XT Mech  (Details / Pics Coming Soon :D)

Offline nogamesplayed

« Reply #1684 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 09:06:43 »
I'm from Sydney, not Melbourne I'm afraid  :)

We'll see how it goes. Harry still isn't exactly active in this thread, and there is no indication if we'll see anything before August let alone end of June.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1685 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:20:00 »
I suggested ages ago that we should get proxies for each country... nobody seemed to notice  :))

Is it 180 still to be shipped or 180 in Australia?

Sorry, I didn't know that.

Anyway the only info I have is the spreadsheet in the OP, and assuming it is up to date I just counted the rows that did not say "shipped".  So that figure is overall.

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #1686 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 16:56:22 »
yes sure i can provide the amount of shipment for each country

but i am afraid it might take some time as im leaving hong kong today

I will try to process the address one by one.

I do not have a laptop and what i can do is limited but i can do it when i return which is by the end of this month
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 18:35:29 by GhostofHarry »

Offline nogamesplayed

« Reply #1687 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 18:33:38 »

I do not have a labtop and what i can do is limited but i can do it when i return which is by the end of this month

Well just make sure you keep us updated Harry  :thumb:

Offline thqc

« Reply #1688 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 06:36:18 »

I do not have a laptop and what i can do is limited but i can do it when i return which is by the end of this month

Well still looking forward to received my order. Hope you can finish this GB in time, have a pint and let thing happen :P

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #1689 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 12:29:26 »
OK, I’ve decided.

I hate to see how this is dragging on and making people unhappy. Skirting (but not outright defying) my longstanding principle never to run a group buy, I make a conditional offer to handle all orders outside North America. US and Canada are in reliable hands; let me not try to take on more than I can handle!

As shadovved and my personal experience suggest, we can ship a keyset from Singapore to anywhere at $8 each, tracking included. Combined shipping is cheaper for additional sets.

The only thing is that someone on geekhack owes me a lot of money and stuff, and he’s on the verge of default. I’ll know on June 22, but the signs are not good. If I have to fight him in public it’ll take up all my time and emotional energy and I’ll have to back out of this.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1690 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 12:52:37 »
I hate to say it but Jixr was right the whole time.

Props to Berserkfan and Hoff and anyone trying to salvage this mess.

My question is why is Harry leaving HK, esp after admitting to malicious wrongdoing and why is anyone besides HIM paying for ANYTHING.

He should be the one coming out of pocket to rectify this mess he created.

As a mostly outsider looking in, please don't throw good money after bad.

Unless there is some proof to this, I'd be very skeptical to see that the caps are even in his posession anymore.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #1691 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 13:22:13 »
I hate to say it but Jixr was right the whole time.

Props to Berserkfan and Hoff and anyone trying to salvage this mess.

My question is why is Harry leaving HK, esp after admitting to malicious wrongdoing and why is anyone besides HIM paying for ANYTHING.

He should be the one coming out of pocket to rectify this mess he created.

Unless there is some proof to this, I'd be very skeptical to see that the caps are even in his posession anymore.

SL89, from my experience as a older man than most ghers, you may be right but that's just the way things are for many younger people. Telling them off won't do any good. They have to make their own decisions.

At this age you are building your character. That is a foundation for what you become in later life.

People who face up to their responsibilities and finish their tasks as promised WILL always go further than people who default, evade, etc.

In my post above I mentioned another GHer about to default on what he owes me. I'm very angry, of course. But I'm also very sad. I put trust in him because I wanted to see him grow. (Same applies to GhostofHarry). What many people don't understand is that their actions define who they are.

Many people who get arrested for fraud and imprisoned say, "I'm not a bad guy". Well, who cares whether you are or are not a bad guy? You failed to do what you were supposed to, and you will face the consequences accordingly.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #1692 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 13:23:28 »

I'm in the same boat. A ton of these GB salvage jobs can be bottomless pits, especially when the dude is just getting even more flaky.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1693 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 13:27:11 »
@Berserk, I can get behind that. I've seen this sort of thing before on car forums and guitar forums.

I just didn't want the maelstrom to eat up more people.

I can only hope this works out for everyone, and as I said, good on you and Hoff and anyone else who lifts this boulder off of Harry.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1694 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 15:15:44 »
OK, I’ve decided.

I hate to see how this is dragging on and making people unhappy. Skirting (but not outright defying) my longstanding principle never to run a group buy, I make a conditional offer to handle all orders outside North America. US and Canada are in reliable hands; let me not try to take on more than I can handle!

As shadovved and my personal experience suggest, we can ship a keyset from Singapore to anywhere at $8 each, tracking included. Combined shipping is cheaper for additional sets.

The only thing is that someone on geekhack owes me a lot of money and stuff, and he’s on the verge of default. I’ll know on June 22, but the signs are not good. If I have to fight him in public it’ll take up all my time and emotional energy and I’ll have to back out of this.

That's very kind of you, thank you :)

I hope you can get the debt issue resolved, and not just for the sake of this GB.

I don't think anyone, least of all Harry, expected this GB to drag on as long as it has.  IIRC everything was on track, but then Harry's real life commitments unexpectedly increased significantly, and he had to postpone shipping.  He has the keycaps (see the photos in the OP), and unless he wants to sell them somewhere else (which would be silly) I have no idea what he'd want to do with so many sets.

I believe that he had originally planned to have this all finished long before now, and real life is interceding again, potentially introducing more delays.

He did communicate recently, and has apologised, and also presented a reason which I can sympathise with.

And he is receptive to offers of assistance to get this done and finished.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1695 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 18:07:21 »
Since I've been so busy right now, I'll just post my shipping costs here for reference, both for the general public and Harry.

Note: these amounts account for Priority Flat Rate shipping within the US, labels, tape, and bubble wrap (a "generous" amount, to protect your precious keycaps :) ).  They do not factor in any compensation for my time, which will be donated.  The quantity of keycap sets that could fit in each size box could increase if people are willing to forego some of the bubble wrap, but I didn't feel comfortable forcing that on people since a crush to the box would almost certainly affect the set (I'm choosing security over cost-cutting).  I leave this up to the individual, and can address any questions regarding that or anything else in this thread.   :thumb:

1 set (Small Flat Rate) - $6.00
2-5 sets (Medium Flat Rate) - $12.00
6-15 sets (Large Flat Rate) - $17.00

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #1696 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 21:16:10 »
Since I've been so busy right now, I'll just post my shipping costs here for reference, both for the general public and Harry.

Note: these amounts account for Priority Flat Rate shipping within the US, labels, tape, and bubble wrap (a "generous" amount, to protect your precious keycaps :) ).  They do not factor in any compensation for my time, which will be donated.  The quantity of keycap sets that could fit in each size box could increase if people are willing to forego some of the bubble wrap, but I didn't feel comfortable forcing that on people since a crush to the box would almost certainly affect the set (I'm choosing security over cost-cutting).  I leave this up to the individual, and can address any questions regarding that or anything else in this thread.   :thumb:

1 set (Small Flat Rate) - $6.00
2-5 sets (Medium Flat Rate) - $12.00
6-15 sets (Large Flat Rate) - $17.00

Exactly about the crush part Hoffman. Shipping from Singapore can be as little as $5 each, but that means no tracking and no protection.

Offline karazi

« Reply #1697 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 17:50:33 »
I ordered an olivette, can I still get my money back? Had no idea this would go on for this long and I want to cancel if possible and get a refund.

edit: I filled out the cancellation form on the first page and sent Harry a PM.  I hope that is sufficient.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2015, 17:59:59 by karazi »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #1698 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 18:03:04 »
I ordered an olivette, can I still get my money back? Had no idea this would go on for this long and I want to cancel if possible and get a refund.

edit: I filled out the cancellation form on the first page and sent Harry a PM.  I hope that is sufficient.

That isn't going to work. He has all the caps, he says he doesn't have time or money to complete shipping.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline karazi

« Reply #1699 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 01:50:26 »

That isn't going to work. He has all the caps, he says he doesn't have time or money to complete shipping.

Thanks, I went back a few pages and see that details are still being ironed out for proxies, etc.  Really unfortunate situation, and all I can say is that I hope the new GB vetting system is in good shape and doesn't result in situations like this where an inexperienced and/or unscrupulous person is able to take thousands of dollars and leave a community of those who trusted him hanging.  Now he doesn't have a laptop.  OK.

Thanks to those who are volunteering as proxies.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 June 2015, 01:54:44 by karazi »