Author Topic: new TECK user  (Read 3201 times)

Offline jdoraemon

new TECK user
« on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 06:05:12 »
Hi guys, I recently switched to the TECK from a MS Natural 4k.
I started getting soreness in my left forearm and I suspect this has something to do with the TECK's lack of negative tilt as my pain disappeared as soon as I switched back to the Natural. I've also tried placing a book underneath the TECK to create some angle and I find that has somewhat helped.

Does anyone know of a good keyboard stand?

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: new TECK user
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 07:50:49 »
Welcome to geekhack. I have found that an adjustable keyboard tray helped me the most because, not only can you control the negative tilt but also the height of the keyboard.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kurplop/8754016116/in/set-72157633538408496/

I have since moved on to a different keyboard, but will likely always use a tray.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 16:11:53 »
I'm with kurplop about the tray - they can make a lot of difference if you have any shoulder issues and, well you've already hit on the negative slope.

Every 4k I've tried that's more than a year old had incredibly stiff keys - a new one will feel a lot lighter - you could replace it and then replace it again in a years time...

It is possible that you are just a bit more tense while adapting to the layout of the teck (I could be wrong).  If you fancy giving it another chance, you might want to introduce a few more rest breaks in your day.

If none of that works out, other mechanical keyboards exist...  If you have the cash, we can help you spend it.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 18:31:10 »
I agree about the keyboard tray. After using one for the past several months I wouldn't go back.

HumanScale and Workrite are two good brands of keyboard trays. They have a lot of different options and are on the pricier side of things.

I've been using one of the 30 inch wide ones from Kinesis https://www.kinesis-ergo.com/solution.htm. I wanted a really wide one. Not many exist that are wider than the amount of room for a standard keyboard and mouse.

Offline jdoraemon

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 20:52:52 »
Thanks very much for the responses guys.

I have looked into desk trays but there just aren't enough room underneath the desk at work to fit that in (I am quite tall so I sit quite high).

I have placed a small note pad underneath the TECK now to give it some negative tilt, and it seems to help.

hoggy: you are totally right abt me being tense. I have started using the TECK again and using the ctrl/shift on the right side a lot more . That has taken some pressure off the left wrist I guess, but in return, I'm now starting to experience strain in the right wrist/hand that never occurred before.

I think I will stick with the TECK for another couple of weeks just to give it a comprehensive evaluation. Although I'm starting to think perhaps it just simply doesn't suit me after all.

Has anyone tried the new MS Sculpt Keyboard? How does it compare to the 4k?

are there any other good split boards out there with mechanical switches?

Offline hoggy

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 23:24:32 »
You might want to look at the Kinesis Advantage and the Ergodox. Upcoming is the ergo-gp (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.0).

Ergonomic + mechanical keyboards are far too rare for my liking.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:05:30 »
Probably you already got used to the angles and separation of the MS4k. Say what you want about the MS 4k, but the rubber dome switches suck, but the comfort it gives you is really, really good for such a cheap keyboard. I used one for a year and still miss the individual inclination (less pronation on the arms) and comfortable separation. In the top 5 comfortable keyboards I've used.

But yes, I do hate the keys... horrible!

Offline Gerk

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 06:43:19 »
Goldtouch V2 FTW :)  I switched to these and never looked back, super adjustable and the switches are fine.  I'm hard on most rubber dome boards but I've been using my pair of these for ages and they hold up very well.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 15:24:57 »
Speaking  of MS Ergo 4k, I actually used to prefer LiteOn/Dell/... SK-6000. Its shape was quite similar, but with much lighter, more pleasant keys than any keyboard in the MS' Natural line.

Offline jdoraemon

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 06:42:58 »
hoggy: The ergo-gp looks very promising.  :thumb: I'm following that thread closely. Are you on the beta list?

Gerk: Does the goldtouch v2 come with an attachable wrist stand?

Offline Gerk

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 06:52:04 »
Nope, no wrist stand/wrest.  I've honestly never been a fan of them myself, I prefer to support my arms further down (under my forearms) which I do with my desk setup.  Also for ergo purposes you should _never_ be resting your wrists while typing, write rests are meant to be used for when you're not typing and just resting in the "ready" position.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline hoggy

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 07:20:05 »
hoggy: The ergo-gp looks very promising.  :thumb: I'm following that thread closely. Are you on the beta list?

You bet!  Really looking forward to seeing it in person.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 07:49:48 »

Gerk: Does the goldtouch v2 come with an attachable wrist stand?

Just read this quote from here and thought of this thread, and I wholeheartedly agree with this:

http://ergonomicinfo.com/the-great-big-guide-to-ergonomic-keyboards/

Palm Rests - No, not wrist rests - palm rests.  A wrist rest is that terrible thing people stick in front of their mice to provide extra compression for the carpal tunnel and hasten the onset of RSI.  A palm rest is a usually-padded area at the front of a keyboard where your hands can pause for a break between paragraphs.  Some keyboards have them built in, or as optional accessories.  For those that don’t, you can always purchase a free-standing set.

Offline jdoraemon

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 20:00:47 »
I just find it very hard to relax my shoulders unless I'm resting my palms (and bit of wrist) on a rest...

Gerk: do you know of any good gel based palm rests? and thanks again for remembering abt my questions.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 15:52:14 »
No idea about those, I don't use them myself, sorry.