Author Topic: [IC] RGB Knob | (October, 5) IC posted on KBDfans.com! Reserve yours now  (Read 12306 times)

Offline SmoothFaces

Update (October, 25) - KBDfans just uploaded the IC for the RGBKnob on their site! Go check it out and reserve yours:

Update (July, 5) - Updated the Q&A with questions related to Wireless/Bluetooth, Vial software, Polycarbonate and more. (Go to the last part of the IC to view the Q&A)

Introducing the
RGB Knob
by SmoothFaces

Firmware

The RGB knob will run QMK firmware.
While basic configuration can be done via VIA Config, to make the most of your RGB Knob this will need to be done with custom code so that a bigger variety of controls can be added for a smoother and more enjoyable experience. Commands such as double press, press & rotate are some of the ones being currently added and tested.

It will come flashed so all you need to do is plug and enjoy!

Colors & material

Body color options: Anodized 6061 aluminium (for pastel lilac, black and other*) & e-white (electrophoresis)
Knob color options & material: Anodized 6061 aluminium (for pastel lilac, black and other*); e-white (electrophoresis); Stainless steel miror finish; Polycarbonate

(* - there will be a fourth color. For that, we invite you to join our google form below so that you could help pick the one. The most voted one will be the final decision after manufacturer confirmation.)

Size and dimensions

As small as the palm of your hand, the RGB Knob is a super compact and minimalistic looking controller that will fit anywhere, anytime.

The RGB Knob consists in 6 individual parts: Bottom piece, Top piece, Knob, PCB(with ec12 encoder), PC light diffuser and 2 rubber feet.

Ugh, screws!

Besides internal ones, we don't like to see exposed screws on our products. For that reason we decided to use magnets to secure and hold the case closed. Both the bottom and top part come with 4 magnets on each corner that secure them together. To connect the parts, simply let the top piece fall above the bottom one (see video below). To disconnect it, hold down the knob and push the top part up.

The RGB Knob will only use 3 screws. 2 to hold the pcb inside the case and 1 to secure the Knob into the encoder. Without it, the knob would be wobbly and not offer a comfortable movement when rotated. That's why the knob has a hole on the side.

Gallery

More

Prices and details

Price: We intend to keep to the RGB Knob at a price of around 85usd + cheap and reliable shipping, if we reach the MOQ of 150 unities
GB Date: As soon as we gather enough interest, we will be ready to start.
Vendors:  working on that.

Q&A

Wireless mode?

For the moment, no. Although we thought about it before starting the project we decided to keep this first round without bluetooth. Not only to keep the price cheaper but also because we wan't to bring the second version of this volume controller (R2) in the future, with a higher amount of features such as a numpad and lot's of new things to come with wireless version.

Add an Oled as a layer indicator?

Exactly the same answer as above. Highly considering that for the next one.

Will you be using Vial software for a wider range of knob controls?

YES.

Polycarbonate case?

As you might’ve seen, we posted some pictures with the full body PC material. As much as we would wish to offer that version we are not offering it for the moment as we are not satisfied with what the manufacturer delivered. We tried to sand by hand to get a cleaner but corners didn’t get as we wished
We will definitely have that on the second version of this project, very soon.

Can the knob be taller?

Yes, it can. The knob will come in the lowest position. But you can easily make it (around) 1cm taller by adjusting the height it is sitting at.

Special mentions

There are tons of people we want to mention because of their support, assistance and continuous help to develop this product. Here will mention all we can remember, in no specific order.

e11i0t23, Saurabh, Sam Buddy, ai03, Pylon, UltraSafe, Nabzio, Darth, Hopkin, Miyo, s.nagy, Crokto, kakan, Proph and all the people from the Keyboard atelier server.

If you want us to bring this project to life sooner, please fill the google form bellow.
 That would be of great help to us :)

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113534.0][img width=306 height=112]https://i.imgur.com/kyBaAox.png[/img][/url]Link if you want to use our signature thumbnail

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2021, 05:25:25 by SmoothFaces »

Offline Fraaaan

Re: [IC] RGB Knob
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 07:32:34 »
This will look fantastic next to my Razer Blackwidow

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 07:38:56 »
Any updates will be posted here and on the official post.

(NEW!) Reserve your RGBKnob on kbdfans.com! KBDfans IC
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2021, 05:28:30 by SmoothFaces »

Offline Entity.

• Entity#1234
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 07:45:14 »
looks nice

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 07:56:55 »
Any chance for other colors like a navy? Looks clean

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 08:18:25 »
Not gasket mounted smh my head

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 09:44:52 »
N e EU vendor avail?

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 09:53:46 »
those pantones are some of the best things i've seen

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:25:14 »
This will look fantastic next to my Razer Blackwidow

Would be amazing!
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:38:02 by SmoothFaces »

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:25:46 »
God i love knobs. Especially when they have rgb!

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:30:44 »

We would love to offer as many colors as we can but for this time we will keep it at 4. On the google form you have the chance to pick the navy(blue) color. If it gets as the most voted color then it will be chosen and we will test prototypes to see exactly how will it look. Otherwise, if it does not get the most votes, it would be hard for us to make a custom color just for you or a really small group of people. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 July 2021, 07:13:55 by SmoothFaces »

Offline hzsh

• aspiring renderman
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:31:46 »
Perfect. Now put the LEDs in HDR mode please :thumb:.

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:32:54 »
God i love knobs. Especially when they have rgb!

Seems like we share something in common!

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:36:22 »
N e EU vendor avail?

For a cheaper alternative we are thinking of sending all the products by ourselves (from Europe to the rest of the world). But if the amount of orders is much higher than we expected, we might consider vendors for that. We have someone in mind already if that happens :thumb:

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:37:38 »
Not gasket mounted smh my head

Rgb gasket

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:47:36 »
How does it 'feel'? How smooth is the turning action? Are there clicks, or does it feel like one continuous turn?

Offline SmoothFaces

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 11:08:11 »
When choosing an encoder, we made sure to pick the best one for what our goal was and also the smallest size possible. The encoder version e12 has a plastic shaft which makes the experience smoother. It has 30 detents, which means that on a full rotation, you will feel 30 subtle clicks. The clicks are very important because of the different commands you have available. For example, when on a zoom call, my current command to mute/unmute myself is Press + rotate 1 click. So I need to feel that one click to make sure I muted/unmuted myself.

I'm not sure how this exact situation would feel on a encoder that has no detents/clicks. We'll make sure to add the possibility of having an encoder with no clicks but we can't guarantee the same commands will work just fine on it. Tests will be made.

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 15:20:25 »
Via-L support would also be nice as they support knob customization on the fly

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline rokon07

• Reddit: u/rokon-07 | Discord: rokon07#2203
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 16:03:31 »
Looking good. Glwic
Keycult 1/60 Rev.1 | KL90 | Keycult 2/65 Red| Keycult No2 Contemporary Red | Sat75 | Rama M60a

Offline keeganzero

• huhu
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 21:29:07 »
Looks like you have put a lot of effort into this knob. Best of luck with your knob. I’m sure those who are into knobs will love your knob.
Boards: F1-88, R1 KFE, IDB60, Cypher, HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, RF 87UW55, G80-1800, CM QFR

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 22:54:53 »
I lub knob

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 10:31:41 »
very fun. good work  :thumb:

Offline jstein91

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 13:08:41 »
Is that polycarb going to be an option? Cause im in. Just didnt see it on the goggle form

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 13:52:09 »

We would love to offer as many colors as we can but for this time we will keep it at 4. On the google form you have the chance to pick the navy(blue) color. If it gets as the most voted color then it will be chosen and we will test prototypes to see exactly how will it look. Otherwise, if it does not get the most votes, it would be hard for us to make a custom color just for you or a really small group of people. :thumb:
But, that could easily be solved if the right price is paid.
Understandable. Hopefully as many people want navy as me  :thumb:

Offline SmoothFaces

(8th of June)
New update related to the 4th color: As of now, the Silver(Gray) color is winning the poll with 36,7% of the votes. In second place comes the blue color with 30,6%.

Offline rondg

I don't think the video was posted?

Offline SmoothFaces

I don't think the video was posted?

Sorry which? :)

Offline te-ce

I support this IC!  :thumb:

Offline SwirlCables

• * Vendor
  • Where Cables Meet End Game
    • SwirlCables - Custom Made Coiled Cables
sheeeeeesh!

Offline paperassgasket

I'm here for Vial support.

nice knob though.

Offline Adqam64

Watching with interest.  Hope there's a UK Vendor!

Offline Thomas Brown

Re: [IC] RGB Knob | (October, 5) IC posted on KBDfans.com! Reserve yours now
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 06:47:16 »
Amazing! Thanks for sharing it.